The Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD Owner's Thread... - Page 292 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
post #8731 of 8739 Old 04-02-2015, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
I wonder what sort of weird codes are built into these discs. There's been no new firmware for awhile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD MAN View Post
My BDP-09 always has issues with loading Lion Gate and 20th Century Fox titles,but they always play.
I notice a loading time improvement when I disconected the internet hard line from the player.

Lionsgate titles have given problems to a lot of BD players with their authoring scheme, especially older machines where there is a limited amount of processing power available; a hardware limitation. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay is a recent example from Lionsgate were older machines are not able to bitstream audio without drop-outs. If this is the case, there is no firmware fix, the hardware is simply not robust enough to handle the situation.

Anecdotally, I've had problems with this series of Pioneer machines (BDP- 05, 51, 09) being able to load or load with consistency several 20th Century titles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8732 of 8739 Old 04-02-2015, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
Lionsgate titles have given problems to a lot of BD players with their authoring scheme, especially older machines where there is a limited amount of processing power available; a hardware limitation. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay is a recent example from Lionsgate were older machines are not able to bitstream audio without drop-outs. If this is the case, there is no firmware fix, the hardware is simply not robust enough to handle the situation.

Anecdotally, I've had problems with this series of Pioneer machines (BDP- 05, 51, 09) being able to load or load with consistency several 20th Century titles.
I've heard that Fox titles were tricky at times. I remember the last calibration of my Kuro, (by Kevin Miller) when he wanted to use a BD of a James Bond flick; the 09 didn't like it, but it played okay on the Oppo 83. I think that was a Fox movie. The one or two Lionsgate films I have were no problem.
post #8733 of 8739 Old 04-05-2015, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone having any problem with any BD and their BDP-095FD should be sure they try without having their player connected to the internet. For example, my problem with the District 9 BD went away as soon as I disconnected. Given how lame BD-live content has ever been, and the now rather unlikely probability of any firmware updates, can anyone state a valid reason for keeping their player continuously connected to the internet?
post #8734 of 8739 Old 04-07-2015, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbono View Post
Anyone having any problem with any BD and their BDP-095FD should be sure they try without having their player connected to the internet. For example, my problem with the District 9 BD went away as soon as I disconnected. Given how lame BD-live content has ever been, and the now rather unlikely probability of any firmware updates, can anyone state a valid reason for keeping their player continuously connected to the internet?
I would agree. The only time I connect mine is for a firmware update, as I too have no interest in BD-Live material.

If there ever is another firmware update, I'm pretty confident it would be the last.
post #8735 of 8739 Old 04-13-2015, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
I would agree with the above answers.

I found the Blu-ray picture to be the same for the BDP-09 as compared to the Pioneer BDP-05/51; they use the same SoC. Like wise for the audio, they all use the same DAC's the 09 just has more of them giving it an inaudible difference IMHO; the difference is on paper for signal-to-noise ratio. The 09 had a very small advantage for DVD playback compared to the BDP-05/51, but not night and day. I've owned all three of these machines and still have the BDP-05.

I have two OPPO's now, one of them on a Pioneer plasma and they have no short comings IMHO.

You have to do what you're comfortable with but I would point out there is a reason your seller is selling the unit for more than a 50% discount. It's nearly a 7 year old machine with a checkered repair/reliability history. Repair parts are getting hard to find and a drive replacement can cost as much as a new OPPO BDP-103 which I think is as good if not better than the BDP-09.

Personally, if it were me, I'd buy the OPPO BDP-103D and call it a day.

Good luck and Caveat emptor.
Hello

I just want to key in about the Oppo 103 which at present I have and used to have a 105(sold very quickly). The Oppo's use the Sabre ES9018 dac chip which I think has great resolution and extension, but at the other end sounds very thin in the midbass to lower end. I am looking to buy a Pioneer BDP 05 or 09 which uses 8 Wolfson Dacs running in dual mode. I think these dacs or even Burr Browns are balanced better than the 9018. I think for a test try one against the oppo and see for yourself. Let it settle in a few weeks and give your conclusions. When I get my Pioneer BDP 05 I will compare it to the 103. I will definitely end up selling it off. When I had my 105(2channel analogue) I put it up to a Emotiva UMC-200 for processing in analogue and it blew it out of the water. I know many people like me enjoy the bass depth and authoritative low end in a multichannel movie setup or even two channel stereo. I think the oppo's need to be better balanced in the range especially if one has a very revealing system. One queation: is the Pioneer 09 a better buy than the 05? Please any comments will be of help..THX.
post #8736 of 8739 Old 04-13-2015, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Is it better ? Yes. Is it worth it ? Depends on you.
Same debate as for today's LX58 vs LX88.
The 05 is already pretty good, the 09 will retain it's sonic signature, only improving it.
post #8737 of 8739 Old 04-14-2015, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacardis View Post
Hello

I just want to key in about the Oppo 103 which at present I have and used to have a 105(sold very quickly). The Oppo's use the Sabre ES9018 dac chip which I think has great resolution and extension, but at the other end sounds very thin in the midbass to lower end. I am looking to buy a Pioneer BDP 05 or 09 which uses 8 Wolfson Dacs running in dual mode. I think these dacs or even Burr Browns are balanced better than the 9018. I think for a test try one against the oppo and see for yourself. Let it settle in a few weeks and give your conclusions. When I get my Pioneer BDP 05 I will compare it to the 103. I will definitely end up selling it off. When I had my 105(2channel analogue) I put it up to a Emotiva UMC-200 for processing in analogue and it blew it out of the water. I know many people like me enjoy the bass depth and authoritative low end in a multichannel movie setup or even two channel stereo. I think the oppo's need to be better balanced in the range especially if one has a very revealing system. One queation: is the Pioneer 09 a better buy than the 05? Please any comments will be of help..THX.

For me, you would have to define what "better buy" means.

For audio, the Δ change between the 05 and 09 both using the Wolfson WM8740 DAC's is a 3dB improvement in SNR wired single ended vs. differential mode. While this is an improvement for signal to noise ratio and can no doubt be measured, I do not believe it will make an audible difference in sound as the change is very small and the single ended configuration has an already excellent 117dB SNR. At best the change would be very small in dynamic range and not the overall sound anyway.

If you check the SNR of your AVR or pre/pro amplifier combination you may well have a SNR from the control or amplifier section that negates any benefit you may gain with either unit. That is your AVR or pre/pro amplifier combination may have more noise than the 05 or 09 which would mask the benefit. So for me the 05 would be the better buy because I would have the same sound for less money. If you want bragging rights for higher SNR then the 09 is the better buy I guess.

FYI, here is the data sheet and specs for the WM8740 so you can see the information from the source. http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proDat...M8740_v4.4.pdf

The other primary difference between the 05 and 09 is that the 09 did a very slightly better job with DVD video. But you really need the machines side by side running the same material to see any difference IMHO. Again, that made the 05 a better buy for me.

YMMV.
post #8738 of 8739 Old Today, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pioneer 05 vs 09

The thing is that I would like a USB port and the 09 has one and the 05 doesn't. Now the top aMarantz UD 7007 has one and it uses the new 1756 chip and has USB port. Used for $700 ish. I don't know how it would compare to the pioneer 09. Anyone know? Thx....
post #8739 of 8739 Unread Today, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 108
The USB port on the Pioneers are only for BD-Live capability. It offers nothing else useful unlike the Oppo USB ports which can be used as a file source.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Pioneer , Blu Ray Players , Sony , Pioneer Bdp 09fd Elite Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page