The Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD Owner's Thread... - Page 293 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #8761 of 8763 Old 10-09-2017, 03:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
Has anyone here compared the BDP-09 to the newer Pioneer Elite BR spinners ?
I had a brief comparison between the 09 and the 88 last year.

My take was that the 09 with its Wolfson DAC had a richer sound, whereas the 88 had a more detailed sound; it uses an ESS DAC. The lower frequencies of the 88 were a bit light in comparison, though still satisfying. Some reviews talked about the Oppo 105 (wich uses an ESS DAC, perhaps the same one) being a bit light on tonal balance; that sounds about right to describe what I heard in the comparison. The 88 can go up to 24/192 sampling, which seemed to open up the sound as well.

As for video, I can't say I saw significant differences in the pictures of the respective players, not enough to have stuck with me as the audio difference did. Both give great pictures, with the 88 perhaps a bit crisper, but I'd have to do the comparison again to be sure. The 88 is much faster at loading discs, and the speed difference isn't small in my opinion.
G-Rex and JA Fant like this.

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, JJ, Mirage, Kimber, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Wireworld, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8762 of 8763 Old 10-09-2017, 04:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
I had a brief comparison between the 09 and the 88 last year.

My take was that the 09 with its Wolfson DAC had a richer sound, whereas the 88 had a more detailed sound; it uses an ESS DAC. The lower frequencies of the 88 were a bit light in comparison, though still satisfying. Some reviews talked about the Oppo 105 (wich uses an ESS DAC, perhaps the same one) being a bit light on tonal balance; that sounds about right to describe what I heard in the comparison. The 88 can go up to 24/192 sampling, which seemed to open up the sound as well.

As for video, I can't say I saw significant differences in the pictures of the respective players, not enough to have stuck with me as the audio difference did. Both give great pictures, with the 88 perhaps a bit crisper, but I'd have to do the comparison again to be sure. The 88 is much faster at loading discs, and the speed difference isn't small in my opinion.
Much Thanks! prepress

I still want a BDP-09, even though Pioneer does not support this model any longer?
post #8763 of 8763 Old 10-09-2017, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 303
The BDP-09FD probably sounds better, but it is no longer state of art. The Burr-Brown and Wolfson DACs were good back then, but the newer ESS-9018 Sabre, AKM 4497 and the Analog Devices AD1955 have surpassed them.

You also have to consider that the Pioneer is uber-slow, taking a couple of minutes to load and play any disc, BD or CD and does not support streaming. The newer Oppos are pretty good as a all in one player, but Oppo has discontinued streaming as well. The Pioneer is several years old, which makes it an antique in electronics.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Pioneer , Pioneer Bdp 09fd Elite Blu Ray Player , Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page