3Likes

post #901 of 8597 Old 02-09-2009, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

But are you saying that you were able to convert yours from Region 2 to all-region??

Yes that's correct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 8597 Old 02-09-2009, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:

But are you saying that you were able to convert yours from Region 2 to all-region?? If so, it seems that it should also work for Region 1 players.

Let me ask just to re-confirm, it may be made region-free but it won't convert PAL, at least the UK version, is that correct?

This is one area where Oppo excelled, and why I was eventually going to spring for one of their basic players, I have some Reg 2 & Reg 0 PAL DVD's. If the BDP-09 would do the conversion, that would be 1 more reason to buy it

Steve
post #903 of 8597 Old 02-09-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

Let me ask just to re-confirm, it may be made region-free but it won't convert PAL, at least the UK version, is that correct?

Your right ss9001 can be made region free,that's if the hack actually works on your model but no "conversion" what so ever.Thinking about it the Oppo is the only one which allows this is that correct?
post #904 of 8597 Old 02-09-2009, 12:36 PM

Hi guys,

The DVD hack should work for PAL dvds.
I own a 95FD modded on DVD and BD and it plays all DVDs, NTSC or PAL !
It also plays region 1 and 2 on Blu-ray, but that's an other thing
As for the 09, i should get a modded one soon, that will play all region DVDs (PAL included) and region 1, 2 and 3 Blu-ray.
post #905 of 8597 Old 02-09-2009, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 87
SO maybe the review did miss a couple things but for the most part he had a lot of good details.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #906 of 8597 Old 02-09-2009, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuruJeff View Post

HIGHLY disagree with that statement as it comes across arrogant, contrite and like a sales rep. Sorry, but I'm just calling it like it read, especially the first part.

1. It's OUR money, so unless the unit is free then I think some prudence here is certainly within reason given the Pioneer situation. It's going to take much longer than a 30 day return policy to sort out the corporate matters. Then you are stuck, good or bad.

2. With the economy like it is, companies are tanking right and left, even ones once thought to be very stable. What the future is for Pioneer no one can say right now as they are certainly restructuring at this point.

3. Anyone that doesn't have money to burn will use caution when jumping out for something this expensive, it's $2K, NOT $200. So not wanting to get stuck with an unsupported product or worse for that price understandable.

4. I know of at least 2 HIGH-END dealers personally and they are advising all of their customers at this point of the situation. They could care less about Pioneer or selling their products as their customers are the ones they depend upon for staying in business and the reputation is #1 so they don't want to burn any valued customers. Having them jump out at this point would be highly questionable until they know where support lies and what the end outcome will be for their DVD division.

and the list goes on.....

Like a sales rep? Arrogant? It reads like someone is taking this to personal. I get plenty of PMs and emails every day asking me questions about the 09 and various other models. And I answer every single one of them! I had the 09FD, 3800 and S5000ES along with 5 or 6 various other players I used here on my own dime. And more importantly on my own time. Yes its YOUR money but don't forget who you are calling an arrogant sales rep. Last time I checked I am the only FOOL doing these looooong comparisons still (for FREE)... And my opinions are 100% unbiased...

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

post #907 of 8597 Old 02-09-2009, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Glover View Post

Hopefully my 09 will arrive sometime this week and I'll be able to post some of my own impressions. Currently, I use Sony's 2000-ES Blu-ray & the Pioneer BDP-51.

One of those will go to the bedroom after I run some comparisons. Like Joe, I will make sure the playing field is fair. Later on, I'll probably do some analogue testing to but will need to get those darn cables! Life with HDMI is SO nice though.

Congrats Tim!

post #908 of 8597 Old 02-09-2009, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I'm shocked to read people on this thread giving flak to AVS Members who spend a lot of their personal time reviewing products for us. If you don't agree with the review, just ignore it and move on. If you have a question about the review, ask it.

Joerod - Keep doing what you're doing. I appreciate the reviews regardless if the review drives me to make a purchase or not. At the end of the day, it's my decision to make the investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Like a sales rep? Arrogant? It reads like someone is taking this to personal. I get plenty of PMs and emails every day asking me questions about the 09 and various other models. And I answer every single one of them! I had the 09FD, 3800 and S5000ES along with 5 or 6 various other players I used here on my own dime. And more importantly on my own time. Yes its YOUR money but don't forget who you are calling an arrogant sales rep. Last time I checked I am the only FOOL doing these looooong comparisons still (for FREE)... And my opinions are 100% unbiased...

post #909 of 8597 Old 02-09-2009, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks Tony. I just believe in the motto, you only live once. If you keep asking what if then you will never know. If you don't get this player then get the other one. Either way get something.

post #910 of 8597 Old 02-09-2009, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Yeah, Joerod

thanks for the heads up again on this, it's helpful when there are no B&M's around that are willing to let you try this stuff out it helps getting the infor from people whose opinions and tastes you can trust. Life's too short indeed. I've bellied up to the bar and right now a good long pour is heading my way. Keep up the fine work, there will always be a vocal minority who experience analysis paralysis.
post #911 of 8597 Old 02-09-2009, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks Owen. I am planning another comparison shoot out in a couple months... I appreciate the support.

post #912 of 8597 Old 02-09-2009, 03:24 PM

I am a big Pioneer 09 fan.. Can somebody PM me where I can find the unit at a good price?? Does AVS store sells it??

2nd question is, Besides the 09, I don't think the 05 and 07 got DTS-HD MA support either and it's been a while that those are released.. Am I correct?? I am having trouble understanding what the problem is not getting the firmware out?

3rd question, The analog outs lacks adj. x-over, does anybody know where it's set at??

I want to get a 09 soon, and probably sooner as I don't know the fate of the unit if Pionner is in trouble??
post #913 of 8597 Old 02-09-2009, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfats View Post

UK review of the player.

Fun review, and I agree with what the author said about how he likes to leave all these adjustments 'flat' and not interfere with what's on the disc. He was happy that the range of adjustment of each parameter was rather mild, so you couldn't screw up too badly.
post #914 of 8597 Old 02-09-2009, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I know it wasn't a hardcore review but never-the-less I enjoyed it.

post #915 of 8597 Old 02-09-2009, 03:54 PM

Pioneer's SC05/07 internally decodes DTS MA and Dolby TrueHD.

-Roebrt
post #916 of 8597 Old 02-09-2009, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkwan View Post

I am a big Pioneer 09 fan.. Can somebody PM me where I can find the unit at a good price?? Does AVS store sells it??

Try Robert at Value Electronics or Roman at BuyBestPlasma.

Quote:

3rd question, The analog outs lacks adj. x-over, does anybody know where it's set at??

80Hz
post #917 of 8597 Old 02-09-2009, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:

I said it once, and I'll say it again, joerod is one of the main factors of my 09FD decision. I enjoy his real world reviews. And yes, it does help if ones significant other appreciates what a high-end piece of gear is doing. I'm reminded of when I sold my SXRD XBR2 for the Kuro Elite. My wife came downstairs, took one look at it and said, "I can't believe how clear that is." Now in a reviewers eyes, that might not seem like much, but in the real world, believe me, it goes a long way... if only to justify spending this kind of coin. Plus, I like it when she takes an interest in my little hobby.

So to summarize, thanks for taking the time joerod!!

Growing Older But Not Up
post #918 of 8597 Old 02-09-2009, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

I said it once, and I'll say it again, joerod is one of the main factors of my 09FD decision. I enjoy his real world reviews. And yes, it does help if ones significant other appreciates what a high-end piece of gear is doing. I'm reminded of when I sold my SXRD XBR2 for the Kuro Elite. My wife came downstairs, took one look at it and said, "I can't believe how clear that is." Now in a reviewers eyes, that might not seem like much, but in the real world, believe me, it goes a long way... if only to justify spending this kind of coin. Plus, I like it when she takes an interest in my little hobby.

+1

I was going to wait around for the LX91 to turn up here(for too much $$), but thanks to Joerod's timely review I was confident enough to order a '09. His personal analysis vs his other players on a projector I could relate to was invaluable to me. I hate waiting around after a product release for the 'pro' reviews to turn up. I still read them when they do, but going on past experience I'm rarely disappointed when I take stake in a personal review of the caliber that Joerod has done. So far my own experience matches up with his review comments.

post #919 of 8597 Old 02-09-2009, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+1

I think some people forget that joerod is just a guy doing a good deed around here. Not a dealer, not a salesman, not a manufacturer's rep. To me, that makes his insights invaluable, and I'm amazed at all the time and effort he puts into it. Much appreciated.
post #920 of 8597 Old 02-09-2009, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

Keep in mind KD also stated in the article that he could not tell a difference in the sound from HDMI or the PCM sound through the 5000's analog outs. Yet, he does not list the pre/pro he is using so this comment is worthless as an opinion. Read for yourself.

Got the issue; I will read the review.
post #921 of 8597 Old 02-09-2009, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Thanks Owen. I am planning another comparison shoot out in a couple months... I appreciate the support.

As someone who uses this forum for research purposes, I appreciate any reasonable input on the product in question. While I know it's ultimately my decision as to whether I buy an 09 or not, the perspective of others whose expertise goes beyond mine is always worth reading. I read your initial review of this player, and was intrigued enough (despite the price tag) to follow the thread for any more information.

Any review is, after all, based on the reviewer's experience with a product and some subjectivity may be inevitable. But this is valuable info for many here. Thanks.
post #922 of 8597 Old 02-09-2009, 05:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

+1

I think some people forget that joerod is just a guy doing a good deed around here. Not a dealer, not a salesman, not a manufacturer's rep. To me, that makes his insights invaluable, and I'm amazed at all the time and effort he puts into it. Much appreciated.

Spot on prog.

Frank

post #923 of 8597 Old 02-09-2009, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Spot on prog.

No doubt......Even if I had the cash to buy all the players required, I would find little time to put in like joerod does for us all.

Reminds me of when a coming review is announced and you get the posts asking where is it, why are you late with the review...You said last week we would have it by now......Bunch of whining directed at someone who isn't getting paid and doesn't have anything to gain except just providing some insight to those hungry for it.

I never understand those posts either.

05-1.3H BJC-3808-1.3H BJC-5080
post #924 of 8597 Old 02-09-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:

hope this doesn't offend anyone. but when i was showing a comparison to my wife with speakers. i had accidently had the speakers being tested reversed. as i demonstrated them i was showing her how much better the new speakers sounded than ours. she mentioned that ours didn't sound the same as the night before. low and behold the good sound was coming from our speakers not the new ones. listening to the gals may pay off and don't have too many beers before you test
post #925 of 8597 Old 02-09-2009, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudykg View Post

i got a price match for 1899.00. not sure if i can say the outfit over the forum. you can email me and i can give you the name of the store and try it. they also offer a period of return should you not think the 09 is worth it. if you live in the denver colorado area i can get you to the right store and person. if you can beat the price elsewhere great.rudykg@yahoo.com

Might want to be careful, rudy! Whether you post the link or not, it's the non-MSRP talk that's verboten. Also, you might (for purposes of your own privacy) stay with forum PMs rather than posting your email address publicly. Just a suggestion....
post #926 of 8597 Old 02-09-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:

Might want to be careful, rudy! Whether you post the link or not, it's the non-MSRP talk that's verboten. Also, you might (for purposes of your own privacy) stay with forum PMs rather than posting your email address publicly. Just a suggestion....

will take your advise
post #927 of 8597 Old 02-09-2009, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Try Robert at Value Electronics or Roman at BuyBestPlasma.

80Hz

Where is it confirmed that the fixed crossover is 80Hz? I'd imagine it would be where the 51/05 have it, which was reportedly in the mid 100Hz range in the owner's thread.

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #928 of 8597 Old 02-09-2009, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Are the current 09 owners letting the 09 use it's DAC's or are you letting some other equipment in your line up do the digital to analog conversions?

Thanks
post #929 of 8597 Old 02-09-2009, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thank you everyone for your kind words. They made my night! Your enthusiasm alone is the wind that pushes my sails. I plan to stick around here for a long time.

post #930 of 8597 Old 02-09-2009, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
joerod where do you sell your old gear?
just curious since you go thru gear more than me.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Pioneer , Blu Ray Players , Sony , Pioneer Bdp 09fd Elite Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page