post #991 of 8651 Old 02-11-2009, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl1 View Post

As long as they're still in the BD business, I'm good with that

Well thats my point sir. You all are going on like its not happening. Maybe a wakeup call?

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 8651 Old 02-11-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailtim View Post

That was quick. They haven't officially hit the store shelves and there is one on Audiogon. BTW, the seller indicates he received a better new-price than I did

couldn't find any thing except a dv 09 on audiogon. as for those waiting for review after reveiw on the bdp 09 some will never make the jump hoping instead that someone else made the mistake. those will probably keep deaming on the sideline. i have a pd 65 which is still awesome. so i bought the bdp09 before reading any reviews other than how it was built. i can always take it back if i an not happy. but sounds like joerod's hard work is paying off with lots of info and just may help some one standing on the outside look'n in
post #993 of 8651 Old 02-11-2009, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
So I have been going back and forth for quite awhile now. To put is bluntly I can't wait for the DTS-HD MA firmware update to come. Analog (and yes Pure) is where it is at. If you buy the 09FD you owe it to your set up to at least try it. Just make sure you select both Multichannel on your Pre/Pro (I used my Onkyo 886 PRO) or receiver and on the 09FD if you don't go Pure. Not that HDMI is bad. By all means it is very good. I just get more distinct voice dialogue with excellent clarity using Analog. The Dolby TrueHD soundtracks have been a real treat. I also have the HDMI cable hooked up and can switch to it (like an Indy 500 tire change now) if there is a DTS-HD MA soundtrack. Not that using the analog for the downgraded to regular DTS sounds bad but I want it to always be the absolute best it can be. You will need to turn the volume up further with Analog Multichannel but when you do you will be blown away. The subwoofer action is much more accurate and tight. It doesn't linger! You can hear more clearly glass breaking, insects buzzing and guns going off. With Bitstreaming it was okay and I never complained. Once I started trying more and more titles using Analog Multichannel I started to hear the differences. I know life is much easier just using the HDMI cable but if you are going to get the 09FD it is worth the effort to take a listen.

I will also say that not all Blu ray players sound this good using Analog. I tried a couple others (not in the Big 3) and the differnces were quite noticable. The 09FD with its impressive internal parts (possibly the Wolfsons, the Toroidal Tranformer and or the dedicated Analog power supply?) has quickly won me over to the Decode over Bitstream side. The 09FD is heavy for a reason. I didn't truly know that reason until I started to listen to music and movies using Analog. I took the advice of a few members here and tried some of their favorites for music. It took me a little while longer due to me having to wait for them to get here. I never really use my theater to listen to music but lately I have been doing it a lot. CDs are being played a lot in the 09FD. I like having movie slides (Movie slide disc in the SP1000 SD dvd player) with music playing (CD in the 09FD) when guests come down the stairs. It really adds to the Cinema feel. We used to just have a DirecTV music channel on but the difference in clarity is night and day!

So again my advice to 09FD owners is to try Analog! Whether you go Pure or into your Pre/Pro or receiver! It is like having a supermodel girlfriend and never...or having a luxury car and never... Of course depending on your equipment the differences could be less noticable. It is still worth trying. The excellent sound will draw you in. I have NOT fell asleep watching a movie lately and that is truly saying something! But be warned, once you go Analog you won't go back! Now where is that DTS-HD MA firmware?

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #994 of 8651 Old 02-11-2009, 06:31 PM

Liked: 11
pioneer will close shop sooner if we all just quit buying there products. come on people lets keep supporting a company that makes great products. thats what the economy is all about putting money back into the system . not in your pocket. its kinda a no brainer if you need DTS master audio now get a sony if you can bitstreem or can and will wait for a firmware update , then get the pioneer.

it was time to vent a little
post #995 of 8651 Old 02-11-2009, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Wolfson 8740's FTW.

05-1.3H BJC-3808-1.3H BJC-5080
post #996 of 8651 Old 02-11-2009, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

So I have been going back and forth for quite awhile now. To put is bluntly I can't wait for the DTS-HD MA firmware update to come. Analog (and yes Pure) is where it is at. If you buy the 09FD you owe it to your set up to at least try it. Just make sure you select both Multichannel on your Pre/Pro (I used my Onkyo 886 PRO) or receiver and on the 09FD. Not that HDMI is bad.

But joerod, your comparison test is all about the 09's DACs versus those in your Onkyo. While I have no reason to doubt your conclusion that the 09 is the better performer, it's important to clarify your conclusion that "analog is where it's at .....not that HDMI is bad." That's too broad a conclusion, IMO, since this depends entirely on each user's equipment.

You aren't comparing analog vs HDMI, per se....you are comparing your Pioneer 09FD to your Onkyo 886
post #997 of 8651 Old 02-11-2009, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Good catch. I meant Analog verus HDMI. I did end up Pure (went both ways) and still am. I am just trying to let all the HDMI Bitstreamers out there (like usually myself) to give the Pioneer's Analog section a shot. I will edit it up some. Thanks.

post #998 of 8651 Old 02-11-2009, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
That is what I was expecting joerod to say about the analogs!!! Sweet.
Analog outs of the 09 is going to be pretty hard to beat. They isolating the power supply and put dual DAC's with a real low Signal/noise ratio in there. I am sure this is part of the reason for the higher sticker price. Too pay that much for the audio section of this unit and not to use it is a crying shame The copper screws also help.
post #999 of 8651 Old 02-11-2009, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Damn Ozzie! I forgot to mention the copper screws!

post #1000 of 8651 Old 02-11-2009, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I currently use the Onkyo 805 A/V Receiver with an Acurus 3 channel amp for my main front channels. (use the Onkyo for the surround channels)...Good Lord I hope I can hook the 09 up correctly without setting a fire in my house. I have a feeling there will be lots of "trial & error" with this experiment.

Good work Joe!
post #1001 of 8651 Old 02-11-2009, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Nice review Joe.. Maybe this was answered already.. Are the crossovers set to 80 or 120hz and is there the option to set speaker distance for phasing and time alignment?

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz

Audioxtream.com
post #1002 of 8651 Old 02-11-2009, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Glover View Post

I currently use the Onkyo 805 A/V Receiver with an Acurus 3 channel amp for my main front channels. (use the Onkyo for the surround channels)...Good Lord I hope I can hook the 09 up correctly without setting a fire in my house. I have a feeling there will be lots of "trial & error" with this experiment.

Good work Joe!

Joe/Tim,

I'm thinking of replacing my Proceed AVP with an Onkyo 806 and use the passthru to my aragon amps and Aerial Accoustic 7b/c3 and power my rears SRs with the 806. I am moving to 100% HT and no more 2 channel listening.

So you think 806 is adequate for my needs with the Pioneer 09?
post #1003 of 8651 Old 02-11-2009, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

So again my advice to 09FD owners is to try Analog! Whether you go Pure or into your Pre/Pro or receiver! It is like having a supermodel girlfriend and never...or having a luxury car and never... Of course depending on your equipment the differences could be less noticable. It is still worth trying. The excellent sound will draw you in. I have NOT fell asleep watching a movie lately and that is truly saying something! But be warned, once you go Analog you won't go back! Now where is that DTS-HD MA firmware?

Great review. Now try the analog outputs on the Sony BDP-S5000ES.
post #1004 of 8651 Old 02-11-2009, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 271
I just did a ISF night mode calibration. And I must say the BD-09 has the best gamma match (out of the box, default, Cont +22, Bright 0, Sharp -15, gamma was 2.25) for my 141. Also the best match for Gamut. The gray scale came out very close to perfect 2.2197, point target is 2.22).
I just used defaults for now on the BD-09. Except turned off Kuro Link.
The setup was very easy, and the BD-09 seemed to know how to set itself up for my 141.
Plugged into my LAN, hit check firmware, almost right away it said I had Firmware 1.24 and I should upgrade to 1.34.

Below are my ISF night mode calibration report. See attachments.

Note; I had a problem with Calman and had to shut it down and restart. So my Gamut chart is only reading the color 75% widows. I will run more test tomorrow.

09 Gray.pdf 157.7880859375k . file

09 Colors.pdf 70.7958984375k . file
post #1005 of 8651 Old 02-11-2009, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
AerialSound, I sent you a PM.
post #1006 of 8651 Old 02-11-2009, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 768
That's awesome, double S. Glad you're enjoying it. I can't wait to get mine.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #1007 of 8651 Old 02-12-2009, 02:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

That's awesome, double S. Glad you're enjoying it. I can't wait to get mine.

I am not going to comment on what I am seeing and hearing yet.

However I will comment on what my wife said.
"Wow the clarity is amazing"

Her hobby is photography and she has about the same interest in photography as I do in A/V.
post #1008 of 8651 Old 02-12-2009, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Not another Wife testimonial! As for now Speaker options consist of small or large or none selection, channel level adjustments and distance. I was under the assumption that crossover was set at 80hz. Maybe Chris or Robert could jump in and confirm.

post #1009 of 8651 Old 02-12-2009, 04:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMAIN64 View Post

Pioneer is supposedly out of this dvd business.

Do any of you have any concerns regarding your players?

Paul

Word goes, Pioneer is moving its BD production to Sharp, but nothing official
post #1010 of 8651 Old 02-12-2009, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Note; I had a problem with Calman and had to shut it down and restart. So my Gamut chart is only reading the color 75% widows. I will run more test tomorrow.

Thanks for the charts.

The luminance appears off. Any chance you can include the relative luminance chart ?

D
post #1011 of 8651 Old 02-12-2009, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchR View Post

Where did you get that word? According to what Robert reported, that was strictly DVDs....not blu-ray.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post15773939

~kyle
post #1012 of 8651 Old 02-12-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchR View Post

BD players remain unaffected.
Link.
post #1013 of 8651 Old 02-12-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfats View Post

BD players remain unaffected.
Link.

According to this OFFICIAL Dutch press release Pioneer wil be focusing on Audio, DJ equipment and Car Audio. It will stop producing TV's by march 2010, it is looking into a joint venture for it's optical department.

To me it seems that Pioneer wil be exiting the visual home market (TV's and thus also DVD/BD players).

More detailed information is in this PDF document from the pioneer.jp site.
post #1014 of 8651 Old 02-12-2009, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:

Aw c'mon double S, you're killing me.

When life gives you limes, make margaritas
post #1015 of 8651 Old 02-12-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

It would be nice if it were absolute. But it's a little like saying there has to be a way to compare cars and reach a consensus on which is best. Like cars and their features, different video chips have their relative strengths and weakness, and implementation varies amongst manufacturers. So "which is best" has a lot to do with each user's needs and expectations. And of course, taste plays a huge role, since we're talking about video quality. (One person's "sharpness" is another person's edge-enhancement nightmare....)

The Silicon Optix Realta, for example, is a very high-end VP chip. But manufacturers can choose, via software, which of its capabilities they want to "unlock" in their components. So one processor might be best-in-class, while another is just good, even though they use exactly the same chip.

I see your point about the 'cars' comparison...but it sure is odd to me that if a manufacturer is using say the Realta chip in their equipment that they would 'limit' the performance of that chip with software instead of having it wide open and taking advantage of the full potential of the chip.
post #1016 of 8651 Old 02-12-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boushh View Post

According to this OFFICIAL Dutch press release Pioneer wil be focusing on Audio, DJ equipment and Car Audio. It will stop producing TV's by march 2010, it is looking into a joint venture for it's optical department.

To me it seems that Pioneer wil be exiting the visual home market (TV's and thus also DVD/BD players).

More detailed information is in this PDF document from the pioneer.jp site.

if no one has checked yet as of this news release. this does not include bd players according to word of mouth conversation i had with pioneer. all dvd player production lines will be converted to strickly bd players. i also found out that if you order on line from someone you will not be covered by a pioneer warranty. same applies to a non authorized dealer. make sure if a dealer is selling that they are authorized by pioneer.
post #1017 of 8651 Old 02-12-2009, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudykg View Post

if no one has checked yet as of this news release. this does not include bd players according to word of mouth conversation i had with pioneer. all dvd player production lines will be converted to strickly bd players. i also found out that if you order on line from someone you will not be covered by a pioneer warranty. same applies to a non authorized dealer. make sure if a dealer is selling that they are authorized by pioneer.

Then Pioneer at least needs to finally lift this dumb restriction for their Elite products that they've imposed on dealers about "can't sell outside of a 200 mile radius."

Also, there seems to be conflicting information out there:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/29153828

Quote:

Japanese electronics maker Pioneer said it would pull the plug on its loss-making flat TV business and cut an additional 10,000 jobs as it heads for a record $1.4 billion annual loss.

Pioneer, a niche player in the flat TV market and one of the world's largest makers of car electronics, has suffered along with other Japanese electronics companies due to the slowing global economy and strong yen.

The company said it would withdraw from the flat TV business by March 2010 and consider an alliance in optical disks as part of a restructuring that will put greater focus on its car electronics business.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
post #1018 of 8651 Old 02-12-2009, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandude View Post

...but it sure is odd to me that if a manufacturer is using say the Realta chip in their equipment that they would 'limit' the performance of that chip with software instead of having it wide open and taking advantage of the full potential of the chip.

Yeah, I don't know the reasoning, but it's definitely done a lot. I suspect it may have something to do with differentiating products along the price spectrum. That said, though, I have a processor that's TOTL but still doesn't use all of its Realta capabilties.
post #1019 of 8651 Old 02-12-2009, 12:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:

However I will comment on what my wife said.
"Wow the clarity is amazing"

Her hobby is photography and she has about the same interest in photography as I do in A/V.

I will be interested in seeing what you have to say after reading your previous post before you decided to purchase the 09FD.

Question ?

I thought I read in other post that the Firmware updates are available for down-load.?

Is that correct ?

Also, if a person buys the 09FD now will it have the latest Firdware ?

Thanks,

Terry
post #1020 of 8651 Old 02-12-2009, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

The 09FD with its impressive internal parts (possibly the Wolfsons, the Toroidal Tranformer and or the dedicated Analog power supply?) has quickly won me over to the Decode over Bitstream side. The 09FD is heavy for a reason. I didn't truly know that reason until I started to listen to music and movies using Analog. I never really use my theater to listen to music but lately I have been doing it a lot. CDs are being played a lot in the 09FD

now you're beginning to see the light!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Pioneer , Blu Ray Players , Sony , Pioneer Bdp 09fd Elite Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page