AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post

prepress ,

Here is just me throwing out an (Opinion) and We ALL know what opinions are worth at the A/V Store.
Seriously, I Only-Suggest that any of Us here on AVS that are into the H/T thing get the Pioneer BDP-09FD and this is why.
We ALL have read where Pioneer is going with I (Think Sharp ?) with this DVD thing. "I'm Not running down Sharp Products".

That being said I am going with this 09FD because it certainly reads from all 1,000 Plus Post here by some of the A/V Gurus it is the BEST out there. They all surely are Not Wrong in Their (Opinions). It certainly goes without saying that Their Opinions on just how Great the Video/Audio is (Improved) over All other Blu-Ray Players is Subjective to the Individual Member.

So, I think we should jump on this Model 09FD before in the Future Pioneer does their thing with (Sharp ?) or whomever the other company will be. I cannot see where it can possibly be a Bad/Wrong decision regardless of how Big or Small a Members H/T is at the present time. As we all know we change things in our H/T as time goes by and Components Brake or simply in my case have become Out-Dated.

Will there be other High-End Blu-Ray Players to follow this 09FD ??? I think it would be ridiculous to think other wise. But the 09FD is here now and (If ?) there will be other Top-End Players to follow makes little difference.

I Personally have decided Not to (Wait & See) if there will be others of this Caliber.

So, I say Get-It-Now !!!!!

Terry

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1122617

Some of you should read this thread and participate in it.

Great ISF Job by Chad B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 8640 Old 02-22-2009, 10:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson View Post

I know price discussion is not allowed here at AVS, but id sure appreciate it if a few of you might PM me abouts what the best folks are getting BDP-09FDs for.

I am not a multimillionaire like tigerhonaker, however I do have a very nice display , a Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD which is capable of showing what a BD player like the BDP-09FD has to offer. I might be able to get one if I can find a low enough price. If not then I will wait for the other Pioneer players and the Oppo to be released.

Thanks guys.

James,
Quote:

I am not a multimillionaire like tigerhonaker.

Man there is Not a lot of Humor/Joking on AVS but your's is Certainly Welcome.
OK, back to AVS & 09FD discussion.
If you Do-Not get some Responses really Quick I can Provide you with that info.
I think though you will get more than enough responses from these AVS Members that have already purchased their 09FDS.
Let Me know James.
Terry
post #1563 of 8640 Old 02-22-2009, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post

prepress ,

Here is just me throwing out an (Opinion) and We ALL know what opinions are worth at the A/V Store.
Seriously, I Only-Suggest that any of Us here on AVS that are into the H/T thing get the Pioneer BDP-09FD and this is why.
We ALL have read where Pioneer is going with I (Think Sharp ?) with this DVD thing. "I'm Not running down Sharp Products".

That being said I am going with this 09FD because it certainly reads from all 1,000 Plus Post here by some of the A/V Gurus it is the BEST out there. They all surely are Not Wrong in Their (Opinions). It certainly goes without saying that Their Opinions on just how Great the Video/Audio is (Improved) over All other Blu-Ray Players is Subjective to the Individual Member.

So, I think we should jump on this Model 09FD before in the Future Pioneer does their thing with (Sharp ?) or whomever the other company will be. I cannot see where it can possibly be a Bad/Wrong decision regardless of how Big or Small a Members H/T is at the present time. As we all know we change things in our H/T as time goes by and Components Brake or simply in my case have become Out-Dated.

Will there be other High-End Blu-Ray Players to follow this 09FD ??? I think it would be ridiculous to think other wise. But the 09FD is here now and (If ?) there will be other Top-End Players to follow makes little difference.

I Personally have decided Not to (Wait & See) if there will be others of this Caliber.

Terry

Question #1 (for me) is, how does the 09 handle DVDs? Especially video-based ones?
post #1564 of 8640 Old 02-22-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

For those who care about power consumption:

Denon 3800: 68W
Marantz 8002: 68W
Pioneer 09: 58W
Sony 5000: 42W
Denon 1800: 30W
post #1565 of 8640 Old 02-22-2009, 01:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Question #1 (for me) is, how does the 09 handle DVDs? Especially video-based ones?

I'm sure some of the Owners here that already have their 09FDS will Reply.........

Terry
post #1566 of 8640 Old 02-22-2009, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ View Post

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1122617

Some of you should read this thread and participate in it.

I totally agree...it would make the debate much more interesting. I wonder why people from this thread are not participating?
post #1567 of 8640 Old 02-22-2009, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have some questions about the agenda of that thread & the contradicting poll options.

It's going down for those that love the PS3 and those that spent more on higher end gear.

The ironic thing is there are differences even in mid level players. The Pioneer 51 (so far)...for me at least has produced the very best 1080p24 image I've ever seen. I've had LOTS of BD players too. Night and day difference? No, but noticeable.

The other irony is that when player A does look better then it must be 'altering' the image someway. So when a burger at Chili's taste better than one at McDonalds then dangit, Chilis gave me an inaccurate burger.

Fun stuff.
post #1568 of 8640 Old 02-22-2009, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddeofile View Post

You think so? Please try it and listen to what it does. If you haven't heard or seen what it does, no way to know, unfortunately. A lot has been written about the benefits of power cords just like speaker and interconnects. BTW the Premier's like all PS Audio cords have built in filtering that is not active, but passive and in such a way as not to interfere with the power delivery. Yup, Virginia, they do work and zip cord is worth well, zip. Really, great for powering lights but not equipment.

Hey I don't want to get off the topic of the 09 and how great a machine it really is. Just trying to let folks know that there is a lot to their setup they may be overlooking that makes very big differences. It is just as important as improving one's video cables, audio cables and speaker cables. Either way, enjoy what you have while you have it. You never know what tomorrow brings.

You'd have to do double-blinded listening tests for this to be believable.

It's just a cord!
post #1569 of 8640 Old 02-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim glover View Post

i have some questions about the agenda of that thread & the contradicting poll options.

+1

Well said!
post #1570 of 8640 Old 02-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 467
could we not discuss another thread here?

please keep on topic

Thanks

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #1571 of 8640 Old 02-22-2009, 04:36 PM

How does this 09 Pioneer compare with a cheaper player the Sony 550 & PS3 in PQ/AQ.
Just Wondering
post #1572 of 8640 Old 02-22-2009, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Terry

I waited long enough. My assumption was the Esoteric would be doing something. Actually with Pioneer offering such a well built machine, I am sure that some companies be jumping in and doing some mods and slapping there name on it.

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.
post #1573 of 8640 Old 02-22-2009, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Well there is no question in my mind that there is really something that does change when you upgrade your power cord on the BD-09.

Right now I have Enhancer Mode: 1 set in my ISF settings and I think I will have to back that off to Enhancer Mode: 2. That's how sharp the picture is on my 141. I will try that just to see how things look. I may have to recalibrate my 141 because of the changes in the PQ.
Please don't misunderstand, the changes are for the better. Matter of fact I have ordered two more power cords. I will be using the two new power cords for my sig 141 and my MK IV SE tube headphone amp.
post #1574 of 8640 Old 02-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Well there is no question in my mind.

That's exactly what double-blind testing is intended to overcome!
post #1575 of 8640 Old 02-22-2009, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Is this player an improvement in regards to player to load times and responsiveness over the BDP-05FD?
post #1576 of 8640 Old 02-22-2009, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

I totally agree...it would make the debate much more interesting. I wonder why people from this thread are not participating?

I have been asked by a few but I see no point in debating an issue with 46 voters (as of now). I bet over half have never seen a 2K player let alone did a true comparison. I have said 1080p/24 is very close on all units but it is the extra picture adjusting that pushes the higher end models over the rest. I am not sure what the thread is questioning?

As for the 09FD, it is very easy to justify its higher price tag. Exceptional pic Q for both Blu ray and DVDs at 1080p/24 and other resolutions, great audio, great build Q (copper screws! ), a vast amount of picture adjustments to accomplish an optimal image with all displays and 2 HDMI outs. I am officially sending the Sub HDMI straight into my PJ! I am happy with the performance of the 09FD and do not feel like I need to justify why the 09FD is the starter in my set up. It is my reference player. Seeing (and hearing) is believing...

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #1577 of 8640 Old 02-22-2009, 08:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I have been asked by a few but I see no point in debating an issue with 46 voters (as of now). I bet over half have never seen a 2K player let alone did a true comparison. I have said 1080p/24 is very close on all units but it is the extra picture adjusting that pushes the higher end models over the rest. I am not sure what the thread is questioning?

As for the 09FD, it is very easy to justify its higher price tag. Exceptional pic Q for both Blu ray and DVDs at 1080p/24 and other resolutions, great audio, great build Q (copper screws! ), a vast amount of picture adjustments to accomplish an optimal image with all displays and 2 HDMI outs. I am officially sending the Sub HDMI straight into my PJ! I am happy with the performance of the 09FD and do not feel like I need to justify why the 09FD is the starter in my set up. It is my reference player. Seeing (and hearing) is believing...

joerod,

I'm glad you made this Post referring back to the Question as to why some of Us here are Not taking part in the other Thread Discussion.

In my case I have Nothing to Say as I don't have the 09FD Player at this point.

Next, Nice to read your comments on the 09FD.

Terry
post #1578 of 8640 Old 02-22-2009, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post

Is this player an improvement in regards to player to load times and responsiveness over the BDP-05FD?

About the same load times. However the BD-09 is very responsive.
post #1579 of 8640 Old 02-22-2009, 08:21 PM

this thread is not much fun anymore to much off topic. to many people that dont own an 09 ragging on it, how do you know how a corvett is going to drive unless you go drive one or ask somone that has one and let him brag about it. every one that owns an 09 in here loves it . Im going with that and in a day there will be one more happy owner.
post #1580 of 8640 Old 02-22-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:

Well there is no question in my mind that there is really something that does change when you upgrade your power cord on the BD-09.

Right now I have Enhancer Mode: 1 set in my ISF settings and I think I will have to back that off to Enhancer Mode: 2. That's how sharp the picture is on my 141. I will try that just to see how things look. I may have to recalibrate my 141 because of the changes in the PQ.
Please don't misunderstand, the changes are for the better. Matter of fact I have ordered two more power cords. I will be using the two new power cords for my sig 141 and my MK IV SE tube headphone amp.

How do you like the Nordost power cable you won on e-bay? Which one are you going to add to your 141?
post #1581 of 8640 Old 02-22-2009, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk20 View Post

That's exactly what double-blind testing is intended to overcome!

Well you can do all the double blind testing you want. However if you are going the route that I and others are, its for a reason. That reason is because we have a very good eye for what to look for and what is important to us, how to improve upon what we are seeing.

A double blind test means nothing to me. Plus the fact that when you get into the detail as some of us have, then you must view more than one or two source materials for a short time.

Yes I guess double blind test is ok to go with when you have folks that are not as critical as some of us that have developed a understanding of how to improve on what we want and were to look.
post #1582 of 8640 Old 02-22-2009, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownaway View Post

How do you like the Nordost power cable you won on e-bay? Which one are you going to add to your 141?

I like it. It has opened up new options to improve my HT.

I am going to use the Nordost on my MK IV SE tube headphone amp or my A/V.

I am getting two 1.5 m PS Audio - Premier "SC" Power Cable. One is for my 141 and the other is for my BD-09. I went with this cord because I would like not to have to buy a new power filter.
post #1583 of 8640 Old 02-22-2009, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks for the power cord recommendations. Going to google those you guys listed!
post #1584 of 8640 Old 02-23-2009, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

FYI; I have made two small changes in my ISF night mode setting on my sig 141.
I changed Enhancer Mode: 1 to 2.
I lowered the master color control from +2 to 0.

My point is you probably will have to make some small changes to your calibration, when you add a super power cord to your BD-95.
So after the small changes I listed above everything seems to work very well and look outstanding. Once I get the other power cords I will run a ISF calibration to see if any other changes need to be made.
post #1585 of 8640 Old 02-23-2009, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Do you have any R2 PAL DVD in your library ?

The player fails certain cadence tests i.e. Finzel 2/2 interlaced, Merighi mixed cadence in auto1 mode. This problem is also visible on real world material as combing/twitter/shimmer type artefacts on detail in certain scenes. I guess it depends on how demanding the viewer is as to how big an issue it is. For me it just spoils the illusion of film when it occures so I use source direct mode and deinterlace elsewhere. Disappointing but it may be less of an issue for 3:2 based film material.

D
post #1586 of 8640 Old 02-23-2009, 01:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well you can do all the double blind testing you want. However if you are going the route that I and others are, its for a reason. That reason is because we have a very good eye for what to look for and what is important to us, how to improve upon what we are seeing.

A double blind test means nothing to me. Plus the fact that when you get into the detail as some of us have, then you must view more than one or two source materials for a short time.

Yes I guess double blind test is ok to go with when you have folks that are not as critical as some of us that have developed a understanding of how to improve on what we want and were to look.

WADR, the whole point of double-blind testing is to eliminate the effects of exactly these sorts of personal biases and self-ratings. It's fine that you choose to use these products, of course, but this topic is highly controversial and will absolutely not be settled here on the 09 thread. Presenting any one opinion as an absolute is misleading, yet this is not the place for a full exploration of all arguments on the subject. There are dedicated threads where interested people can get a more balanced view.
post #1587 of 8640 Old 02-23-2009, 01:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzerxxx View Post

The player fails certain cadence tests i.e. Finzel 2/2 interlaced, Merighi mixed cadence in auto1 mode. This problem is also visible on real world material as combing/twitter/shimmer type artefacts on detail in certain scenes. I guess it depends on how demanding the viewer is as to how big an issue it is. For me it just spoils the illusion of film when it occures so I use source direct mode and deinterlace elsewhere. Disappointing but it may be less of an issue for 3:2 based film material.

D

Does the 09 play PAL? Seems like I read that there's a region unlocking available, but I hadn't heard about PAL playback.
post #1588 of 8640 Old 02-23-2009, 02:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Does the 09 play PAL? Seems like I read that there's a region unlocking available, but I hadn't heard about PAL playback.

I don't know as I'm using the European version of the 09 called the LX91. It's region free for DVD out of the box supporting both PAL @ 50hz and NTSC @ 60hz/24hz. Lastest firmware is version 2.34.

D
post #1589 of 8640 Old 02-23-2009, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

WADR, the whole point of double-blind testing is to eliminate the effects of exactly these sorts of personal biases and self-ratings. It's fine that you choose to use these products, of course, but this topic is highly controversial and will absolutely not be settled here on the 09 thread. Presenting any one opinion as an absolute is misleading, yet this is not the place for a full exploration of all arguments on the subject. There are dedicated threads where interested people can get a more balanced view.

What does WADR mean?

I am sorry but you are missing my point.

Yes for many folks a double-blind test means something. And I have already said as much.

However I have made it very clear that I specialize in my setup. I know what it can do, and my goal is to improve on that. This is why I also learned how to do a ISF calibration and have the pro grade equipment to do it.

How many double-blind test that you know about, where these tests are run on a display that has been ISF calibrated for the source and display.

How many folks have posted the ISF calibration reports on many different BD/HD players so you can compare how well the source and display calibrated together?

To me this is more meaning full than what you are talking about, at least to me.

At any rate the way I test is one more review that is a little different than other tests being done. So my question to you is should I not post my findings, reports and thoughts?
post #1590 of 8640 Old 02-23-2009, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzerxxx View Post

D

I'll have to check to see if there are any region 2 discs. I haven't knowingly bought any.

I get crushed whites/light colors with video-based DVDs; outputting progressive scan solves this for film, but not for video. For example, Rick Wakeman's keyboards in a Yes DVD are solid white with a slight halo, unless there's a closeup. I wondered if a new player with better processing would solve such issues; hence, my research.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Pioneer , Blu Ray Players , Sony , Pioneer Bdp 09fd Elite Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page