BD370/390 LG Blu-ray player Master/Owners thread - Page 102 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3031 of 6915 Old 10-28-2009, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I asked a few pages back and didn't get a response. I reverted my player to the BD.8.08.498 firmware, which supposedly worked with Hulu, but it still gives me an error. Does anyone currently have Hulu working? If so, what's your setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3032 of 6915 Old 10-28-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DU3C3 View Post

It works on my 390 after the Vudu update. What size of memory card are you using?

I've got an 8gb card in there now.
post #3033 of 6915 Old 10-28-2009, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandShark22 View Post

Is that a big deal? Do SD DVDs benefit from 24p? Sorry if that's an obvious or dumb question, I'm a BD noob.

These are all authored at 24 fps. So at 24 fps one duplicates the original theater experience. If the player or the TV is not 24 fps cable , the player, or the TV, has to do a 3:2 pull down.
If that is done correctly by the video processor, the user will most likely not notice a difference.

But if the TV will accept 24 fps and the player outputs the movie at that rate, no processing is required thus avoiding all potential processing artifacts.

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #3034 of 6915 Old 10-28-2009, 01:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 643
In other words, no big deal. It's an SD disc. They look like crap compared to most HD content.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #3035 of 6915 Old 10-28-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

In other words, no big deal. It's an SD disc. They look like crap compared to most HD content.

That's a matter of opinion. With a good upscaler some look almost as good as a some BD discs (admittedly perhaps the poor transfers, but that applies to a LOT of BD it seems).
post #3036 of 6915 Old 10-28-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_w View Post

That's a matter of opinion. With a good upscaler some look almost as good as a some BD discs (admittedly perhaps the poor transfers, but that applies to a LOT of BD it seems).

Agreed. My sd dvd of U2: Rattle and Hum looks absolutely amazing with upscaling on my 390 and LG 1080p 120 Hz LCD. Easily on par with Blu-ray.
post #3037 of 6915 Old 10-28-2009, 01:33 PM

VUDU: 99 Cent Movie Of The Day For 10/28 is Hellboy

Did you ever wonder who takes care of the things that go bump in the night? Well for just 99 cents you can find out by watching Hellboy in HDX, HD, or SD.

Hellboy is a good comic book adaptation with Ron Perlman playing the leadrole against Nazi's and Demon's. And for 99 its worth the adventure.

While you are cruising though the VUDU collections to find Hellboy there are two new collections that are for the Halloween and horror fans. One collection is even focused on the family. Check them out.
post #3038 of 6915 Old 10-28-2009, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis in Stereo View Post

Agreed. My sd dvd of U2: Rattle and Hum looks absolutely amazing with upscaling on my 390 and LG 1080p 120 Hz LCD. Easily on par with Blu-ray.

Can't buy that one. Watch Baraka on Blu-ray and tell me that any standard DVD can come close. I sure have never seen one that can. The new Wizard of Oz Blu-ray easily trumps the premium DVD version that came out 3 or 4 years ago. No comparison in the detail. No amount of upscaling can equal the data being there for real IMHO. I do agree that both DVD's and Blu-rays vary in quality greatly from title to title though. The best DVD's can look pretty equal to a mediocre Blu-ray. I have Spiderman on both DVD and Blu-ray and tried both in the LG. Trust me that is very easy to see that Blu-ray trumps the DVD PQ by a mile.
post #3039 of 6915 Old 10-28-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

Can't buy that one. Watch Baraka on Blu-ray and tell me that any standard DVD can come close. I sure have never seen one that can. The new Wizard of Oz Blu-ray easily trumps the premium DVD version that came out 3 or 4 years ago. No comparison in the detail. No amount of upscaling can equal the data being there for real IMHO. I do agree that both DVD's and Blu-rays vary in quality greatly from title to title though. The best DVD's can look pretty equal to a mediocre Blu-ray. I have Spiderman on both DVD and Blu-ray and tried both in the LG. Trust me that is very easy to see that Blu-ray trumps the DVD PQ by a mile.

Would you say that Vudu HDX streaming approaches Blu-ray quality? (I would)

Agreed that there are a wide array of levels of quality of sd DVD and Blu-rays... think it's kinda unreasonable, though, for Baraka to be your standard after seeing this quote off Wikipedia-- think you might be setting the bar a touch high, don't you think??

The original Baraka 65 mm negative being scanned at 8K resolution
Following previous DVD releases, in 2007 the original 65 mm negative was re-scanned at 8K (a horizontal resolution of 8192 pixels) with equipment designed specifically for Baraka at FotoKem Laboratories. The automated 8K film scanner, operating continuously, took more than three weeks to finish scanning more than 150000 frames (taking approximately 12-13 seconds to scan each frame), producing over 30 terabytes of image data in total. After a 16-month digital intermediate process, including a 96 kHz/24 bit audio remaster by Stearns for the DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack, the superior result was finally re-released on DVD and Blu-ray Disc in October, 2008. Project supervisor Andrew Oran says this remastered Baraka is "arguably the highest quality DVD that's ever been made".[1] Chicago Sun-Times critic Roger Ebert describes the Blu-ray release as "the finest video disc I have ever viewed or ever imagined."[2]
post #3040 of 6915 Old 10-28-2009, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would you say that Vudu HDX streaming approaches Blu-ray quality? (I would)

Agreed that there are a wide array of levels of quality of sd DVD and Blu-rays... think it's kinda unreasonable, though, for Baraka to be your standard after seeing this quote off Wikipedia-- think you might be setting the bar a touch high, don't you think??

The original Baraka 65 mm negative being scanned at 8K resolution
Following previous DVD releases, in 2007 the original 65 mm negative was re-scanned at 8K (a horizontal resolution of 8192 pixels) with equipment designed specifically for Baraka at FotoKem Laboratories. The automated 8K film scanner, operating continuously, took more than three weeks to finish scanning more than 150000 frames (taking approximately 12-13 seconds to scan each frame), producing over 30 terabytes of image data in total. After a 16-month digital intermediate process, including a 96 kHz/24 bit audio remaster by Stearns for the DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack, the superior result was finally re-released on DVD and Blu-ray Disc in October, 2008. Project supervisor Andrew Oran says this remastered Baraka is "arguably the highest quality DVD that's ever been made".[1] Chicago Sun-Times critic Roger Ebert describes the Blu-ray release as "the finest video disc I have ever viewed or ever imagined."[2]

My point is a standard DVD would never be able to show the resolution of that film. It shows what Blu-ray is capable of. I really hate watching most of my standard DVD's now. I am so used to Blu-ray, and HDTV that I find them rather annoying to watch. These upconverting players really don't improve DVD's that much IMHO.

VUDU's HDX video looks very fine indeed. But it's not quite Blu-ray. Even some of Netflix's better quality HD downloads look better than I ever expected, in fact superior to most DVD's I own. Check out CSI off Netflix...it suprised me at the PQ.
post #3041 of 6915 Old 10-28-2009, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Location: CHI, CLD, PAR, PHX, PDX, NKC, AUK, MEL, SYD, BUE, SCL
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I understand that BD390 can play MKV but does that include HD audio codecs; DTS-MA and TrueHD? Does it play Blu-Ray .ISOs or folders stored on USB drive or network share?

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
post #3042 of 6915 Old 10-28-2009, 02:31 PM

I am have some problems Vudu. I am using powerline adaptors which I have measured my download speeds at 20-21 mbps on 2 different speed test sites (Speakeasy and Geek squad). At them same time I checked the Vudu site for speed and am getting speeds from 1 mbps to maybe 2.

Why such the difference?? Movies today on Vudu are consistently loading and yesterday I watched a movie (HDX) with no issues.

Anybody have any thoughts??? Could Vudu be having streaming issues
post #3043 of 6915 Old 10-28-2009, 02:54 PM

I'm interested in hearing anyone's experience of using a BD5 or BD9 DVD (i.e. Bluray format authored to a 4.7GB or 8.5GB DVD) with the BD370. I find that some sources authored in this way play fine, others play the audio but no video. All were authored using the same software - Roxio Toast 9 with the Bluray plugin (Apple Mac). Does anyone know why the video doesn't play with some discs?

What plays: footage from an AVCHD camcorder authored to BD5/BD9 DVDs, recordings from the new lower bit rate UK BBC HD channel.

What doesn't play: recordings from BBC HD before the lowered bit rate, any recordings from ITV HD - audio plays for both but no video. Authored menus work fine.

Previously I had a Sony BDP-S350 which would play the older higher bit rate BBC HD recordings perfectly as well as the camcorder footage, but wouldn't play the newer low bit rate ones properly (seemed to be a frame ordering issue on slow pans) and ITV HD would crash the complete unit within about 20 seconds. Kind of the opposite of the BD370.
post #3044 of 6915 Old 10-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Location: CHI, CLD, PAR, PHX, PDX, NKC, AUK, MEL, SYD, BUE, SCL
Liked: 12
FYI, You can make BD5 and BD9 from BD25 and BD50 Blu-rays by using DVDFab's new Blu-Ray to Blu-Ray feature. Todate, I'm only having 50% success so I think they have a few months of debugging left.

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
post #3045 of 6915 Old 10-28-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:

My point is a standard DVD would never be able to show the resolution of that film. It shows what Blu-ray is capable of. I really hate watching most of my standard DVD's now. I am so used to Blu-ray, and HDTV that I find them rather annoying to watch. These upconverting players really don't improve DVD's that much IMHO.

VUDU's HDX video looks very fine indeed. But it's not quite Blu-ray. Even some of Netflix's better quality HD downloads look better than I ever expected, in fact superior to most DVD's I own.

Well, I just put the Baraka Blu-ray on my Netflix queue. Will submit my final $0.02 on the matter once I give it a spin. I'll be sure to send you the bill for replacing all my SD DVD's I won't be able to stomach watching anymore!
post #3046 of 6915 Old 10-28-2009, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I just put the Baraka Blu-ray on my Netflix queue. Will submit my final $0.02 on the matter once I give it a spin. I'll be sure to send you the bill for replacing all my SD DVD's I won't be able to stomach watching anymore!

We get spoiled very easily..lol
post #3047 of 6915 Old 10-28-2009, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezz15 View Post

I am have some problems Vudu. I am using powerline adaptors which I have measured my download speeds at 20-21 mbps on 2 different speed test sites (Speakeasy and Geek squad). At them same time I checked the Vudu site for speed and am getting speeds from 1 mbps to maybe 2.

Why such the difference?? Movies on Vudu are consistently loading and yesterday I watched movie (HDX) with no issues.

Anybody have any thoughts???

I kind of came to the conclusion that as long as the HDX movies are playing well I may as well not worry about that stuff.
post #3048 of 6915 Old 10-28-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:

I kind of came to the conclusion that as long as the HDX movies are playing well I may as well not worry about that stuff.

I need to clarify. HDX movie yesterday had no issues but today I can't even get them to play for 10 seconds without loading. Could Vudu be having issues with there streaming??
post #3049 of 6915 Old 10-28-2009, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I need to clarify. HDX movie yesterday had no issues but today I can't even get them to play for 10 seconds without loading. Could Vudu be having issues with there streaming??

Do they only reload once and then play ok? I will check mine and report back soon.
post #3050 of 6915 Old 10-28-2009, 03:25 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeck77 View Post

I've got an 8gb card in there now.

That's odd. What in particular are you having issues with when trying to play the Maximum Movie Mode? Are the menus and graphic overlays all garbled or are you having a different issue?
post #3051 of 6915 Old 10-28-2009, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got 2 reloads on the Tron preview in HDX, and never more than one green bar so they may be having problems. Also tried other previews and having problems. My wireless is checking about 8000 speed tonite so VUDU must be the issue. Also the Netflix speed warning is back tonight....Grrrrr...lol
post #3052 of 6915 Old 10-28-2009, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSalita View Post

I understand that BD390 can play MKV but does that include HD audio codecs; DTS-MA and TrueHD? Does it play Blu-Ray .ISOs or folders stored on USB drive or network share?

The 390 can't play HD audio in a MKV. No support for playing ISO's or .mt2s files from Blueray rips.

There is a program called Makemkv that rips a Bluray into a .MKV file without compression. But when I tried it, the DTS audio skipped over wired network. Tried the same file with a USB hard drive and the video had a few breakups. DTS audio was fine. Either the bitrate is to high, or the 390s USB port is not fast enough for that bitrate. I will be trying this again as this is a lossless method. Except for the audio.

I used Ripbot264 to sucessfully create a 12k bitrate MKV with DTS audio. Looked really good and played fine.

Samsung 65" HU8550 - TS01, Denon 3312 AVR, Cerwin Vega VE speakers x 7, DefTech ProSub 1000 x 2
WDTV Live, Roku 3, Amazon FireTV, LG BD390 Bluray, WiiU,
DishTV Hopper w/Sling, Self Made PC, AMD FX8350, 16GB Ram, LG 16x BD-RW
EVGA GTX-780 6GB SC, Gigabyte GTX-750Ti 2GB, 3840x2160@60Hz , Asus AC-68 Router
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD, Samsung HD204Ui 2TB, 3 UPS's
post #3053 of 6915 Old 10-28-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:

I got 2 reloads on the Tron preview in HDX, and never more than one green bar so they may be having problems.

Thanks AlanBuck for the info
post #3054 of 6915 Old 10-28-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DU3C3 View Post

That's odd. What in particular are you having issues with when trying to play the Maximum Movie Mode? Are the menus and graphic overlays all garbled or are you having a different issue?

That's exactly the problem. I'll try it again with a different memory card today.
post #3055 of 6915 Old 10-28-2009, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoretsk View Post

What has been folks experience/issues/caveats using powerline connectivity solutions (vs. wireless) with these players for accessing online content (Netflix,Vudu, etc)? Would also be interested in what device brands people are using. Thanks!

I'm using Netgear XE102s with no issues. The one in the living room feeds a Linksys router, which splits to the BD390, the DirecTV H21, a Denon iPod dock, and my turntable [kidding].
post #3056 of 6915 Old 10-28-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster27 View Post

I'm using Netgear XE102s with no issues. The one in the living room feeds a Linksys router, which splits to the BD390, the DirecTV H21, a Denon iPod dock, and my turntable [kidding].

Thanks for the feedback, have you tried playing VUDU HDX movies over this connection? What speeds are you getting?
post #3057 of 6915 Old 10-28-2009, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoretsk View Post

Thanks for the feedback, have you tried playing VUDU HDX movies over this connection? What speeds are you getting?

I've only tried one Vudu HDX, about a week and a half ago. I wasn't really paying attention to the bars at the time. However, about 20 minutes in it balked, and asked if I wanted to drop back to HD. I did so, and the movie finished without further interruption. I didn't really see much difference between HD and HDX on my 60" DLP Samsung.
post #3058 of 6915 Old 10-28-2009, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Just received my second BD390s today (one for upstairs and one for my theater downstairs). I do not have a hardwired Internet connection downstairs so everything downstairs connects to the net via a D-Link DAP 1522 wireless bridge which picks up the signal from my D-Link Extreme N Duo Dir 855 wired/wireless router located upstairs.

Here's the setup: The downstairs BD390 connects to a D-Link Gigabit DGS 2208 8 port switch which in turn connects to the D-Link DAP 1522 wireless bridge. The BD390 is connected to a Denon NR905 via HDMI, the Denon is connect via HDMI to a Monoprice 4x4 HDMI Matrix switch with one HDMI out going to my RS1 and another HDMI out going to a 24 inch wide screen monitor that's in the downstairs bathroom (don't want to miss anything when you have to go ).

Picture was excellent from the projector and also on the bathroom monitor. I watched several Youtube videos full screen with no stutter or glitches.

Selecting "My Media" I watched 10 to 15 minutes of several movies, located on a computer upstairs, that were in different formats: .avi, .vob, & .mkv. All played flawlessly.

Next I checked out Netflix which indicated 7 bars and watched 30 minutes of a movie without any delays, stutters or glitches. After that I tried Vudu, selected "New Trailers" HDX and watched trailers for about 30 minutes without any stutters, glitches or delay. The trailers loaded quickly; the HDX showed only 1 green bar.

After the trailers I settled back with the .99 cent movie of the day "Hellboy" in HDX. The complete movie played in 5.1 without any stuttering, buffering, glitches or delays.

Although there are still some areas that need addressing (can't get subtitles from mkv or vob files) I'm a happy camper.

"Marines have no qualms about killing Martians"

2011 List

2009 List

2008 List
post #3059 of 6915 Old 10-28-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank25070 View Post

I did enable the guest account and gave full rights access for both sharing and file permissions to be sure. I can see from my bitdefender firewall that there is some network traffic coming from the BD390 but there is no log entry pertaining to what is happening. I see from some previous posts that some people have got it to work without enabling simple file sharing so I figure I'm still missing something. Does the BD390 try to authenticate as guest or is it an anonymous login? I will keep trying to figure things out - thanks for your input.

Just FYI. I run the SAMBA server software (adds CIFS support) under Linux and have a folder shared for dropping media into. When I first connected to the share on the BD390, it came up with a screen to type in a user name and password (using arrow keys - blech) along with a check box to optionally store this information. No guest or anonymous login was required.
post #3060 of 6915 Old 10-28-2009, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_w View Post

Completely agree. Many of my 40 or so SD DVD's are high quality transfers and are eminently enjoyable to watch on the LG 55LH90.

There has to be something wrong with aaronwt's system or perhaps he does not have any SD DVD commercial movies.

But of course he is entitled to his opinion even if it is contrary to that expressed by most posters on this thread and many other threads dealing with DVD players.

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd 370 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page