sb1
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelr View Post

I noted a few other comments about HD issues as well. I couldn't comment since with a 1.5M DSL line I'm happy just to get movies streaming at all. We'll probably upgrade next year but will probably be stuck with DSL as FIOS isn't available in our neighborhood. Let me know if a different router gives any different results. Thanks

I will.

I should also note that I may be having some ISP issues since I ran a line quality report after some horrible lag during gaming last night, and I'm getting some really bad loss in my connection which could certainly effect things for movie streaming.

One way to know for sure is to try to watch an HD movie on the Xbox 360. If it works there, and not on the 390, then I have the culprit.

EDIT: Just FYI, but I got identical results when trying to stream wirelessly or wired.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 6915 Old 11-20-2009, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by philnerd View Post

I've run Star Trek through my 370 several times now. Also on latest firmware. Definitely no issues.

thanks for the info i am taking the disc back today to exchange it
post #3693 of 6915 Old 11-20-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Same here. The first night I played ST was on whatever FW the unit shipped with. I got it updated the next day, and watched ST again, so it could very well be a bad disc.

yeah this seems to be the issue at this point, im going to excange it today ho;efully thatll fix my problem
post #3694 of 6915 Old 11-20-2009, 08:41 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp34gsh View Post

yeah this seems to be the issue at this point, im going to excange it today ho;efully thatll fix my problem

I hope so. Be sure and post the results, though. Any bit of info will be helpful to others.

Stephen.

post #3695 of 6915 Old 11-20-2009, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by catmother View Post

If a user would like to see what the 390/370 can play try some of these:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...81&postcount=1

and this:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...24&postcount=1

It says it will play:

MP4: 1080p L5.0 Apple trailer with 9 reframes and AAC audio

but it didn't play my BD-R burned using the encoding of MP4. It plays fine on my Sammy BD35. When I called LG, I asked them to notify the engineers in Asia or wherever to let them know and possibly update with this capability. I know, I won't hold my breadth.

lujan
667 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #3696 of 6915 Old 11-20-2009, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I installed the 370 last night. I immediately updated the firmware via the internet without any issues.

So far I am very impressed with this player. I like that it doesn't have a fan and the drive is very quiet. I am using this in my bedroom so the quieter the better. It also repsonds to commands quickly and just seems to work the way it should. That can't be said about all the bluray players I've tried.

I think I am going to keep the 370. I need to spend a few more days with it but so far I am much happier with it than the Samsung 1590. I like it about as much as the Panny bd-60 but the 370 has Netflix. I haven't watched many SD dvds yet to compare the PQ but I imagine they will be close on my small 42" 720p plasma.
post #3697 of 6915 Old 11-20-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post

I installed the 370 last night. I immediately updated the firmware via the internet without any issues.

So far I am very impressed with this player. I like that it doesn't have a fan and the drive is very quiet. I am using this in my bedroom so the quieter the better. It also repsonds to commands quickly and just seems to work the way it should. That can't be said about all the bluray players I've tried.

I think I am going to keep the 370. I need to spend a few more days with it but so far I am much happier with it than the Samsung 1590. I like it about as much as the Panny bd-60 but the 370 has Netflix. I haven't watched many SD dvds yet to compare the PQ but I imagine they will be close on my small 42" 720p plasma.

I tried a Samsung 1600 and took it back for the LG 370. It has been much better and responds more quickly, plus it is not nearly as flimsy. I don't have any point of comparison for up conversion though. The 370 looks good to me.
post #3698 of 6915 Old 11-20-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

This is the same router I use. My only problem with the 390 so far is trying to stream HD movies via Netflix. They stutter and I get no sound. I'll try another one of my routers today to see if that fixes the issue. Then again, I can stream HD trailers from Vudu just fine, so that doesn't really scream router issue to me. This is on a 10mb connection.

Just another data point for anyone tracking issues with Netflix HD: I've had the 390 for a few months and was having it connect wirelessly to a Linksys WRT54GL Wireless-G router (5Mbs cable internet). No issues at all playing Netflix streaming SD and HD until about three weeks ago, when I started having issues with BOTH SD and HD (it would buffer about half way, hang up, knock the quality down, buffer again, and play in lower def). I happen to have a wireless bridge behind my AV components, so tried connecting the LG wired to the bridge. Now, it buffers a lot quicker (compared to when it was wireless) and SD *usually* plays fine. But HD content won't play. It buffers quick, red bar goes all the way to right in about 10 seconds, but the movie won't play. After ~3 minutes, it tells me my connection to Netflix has been lost. Not sure what's going on. I'm not counting out some quirky hardware issue on my end ... but seems more and more like a glitch between the LG and netflix.
Again, just another data point.
post #3699 of 6915 Old 11-20-2009, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. Ptsenter - thanks for illuminating my "duh" moment on the FW file update.

You're very welcome. Happens to the best of us, e.g., myself. And, for whatever reasons, with years it happens more often than not.
Quote:

Sproadic connection issue is due to the d-Link DIR-655 router that I use. Taking Ptsenter's suggestion I reasearched back in the thread and found comments about this problem with d-Link routers.

As it turns out, the problem is with the d-Link's DNS relay, but it isn't necessary to turn the relay off. You can leave it on for all the other devices on the network.

That is very good: at least it can be made smarter.
D-Link is at the top of my list for an upcoming router.
post #3700 of 6915 Old 11-20-2009, 12:44 PM

For those of you having stutter, lag, or connection issues with your LG3x0 - are you using Comcast High Speed Internet? If so, that may be the source of your problem. Comcast recently started a big upgrade project to go from DOCSIS 2.0 to DOCSIS 3.0, and it's causing horrible problems for a lot of users.

Symptoms are slow connection, connection dropouts, intermittent packet loss in the 2% - 10% range, and all kinds of fun stuff. 1% - 2% packet loss will cause streaming video to drop or freeze.

If you have Comcast, check your connection with a ping test (not a "speed test") several times during the day. If you see packet loss, call Comcast and ask for resolution.
post #3701 of 6915 Old 11-20-2009, 02:47 PM

I hooked up my 390 and it cannot find my network. What are some initial steps I need to take to make a wireless connection? I have a Dlink dir-625 router. thanks
post #3702 of 6915 Old 11-20-2009, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

It says it will play:

MP4: 1080p L5.0 Apple trailer with 9 reframes and AAC audio

but it didn't play my BD-R burned using the encoding of MP4. It plays fine on my Sammy BD35. When I called LG, I asked them to notify the engineers in Asia or wherever to let them know and possibly update with this capability. I know, I won't hold my breadth.

Tried 8 of these.
All but 2 play. Both versions of "Pole to Pole" play including the "improper" version although preceded by a brief announcement that "this video may not play properly". Basketball does not play and the normal Slicies NTSC does not although the version for testing de-interlacing plays OK. The Sony camcorder clip plays fine.

The 007 and the building with color fountains play nicely.

Tested with an 8GB Kingston flash drive and over a 1 GB hardwired hone network from the PC.

All in all not a bad performance.

BTW All of them play on the PC with Media Player Classic Home Cinema

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #3703 of 6915 Old 11-20-2009, 04:04 PM

I cannot get any of my video files to playback on my BD390. I've tried using Windows Media and Nero. I see the shared folders and can select the files, but they do not playback. I can stream using TVersity and I have no problems with Netflix or Vudu. I can open all my music and photos as well. I'd like to playback OTA recordings I've been making, but no go so far. It's so close to being ideal.
post #3704 of 6915 Old 11-20-2009, 04:07 PM

I hope this is the right place to post this question:

I was hoping to pickup the BD390 today from my local BestBuy but they were out of stock. I went to another electronics store in my area and a salesperson there told me that the 390 was discontinued and that a replacement model was probably going to be released around February. He didn't have any more details than that and I wasn't sure if he had accurate information. I wouldn't think they would discontinue a player until they had a replacement ready. Has anybody heard of this? I tried searching the forums but I didn't find anyting...

Thanks!
post #3705 of 6915 Old 11-20-2009, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I currently have a dual player BH200 and am thinking about selling it and getting a a BD370.

Is there any real reason that makes the BH200 a better player than the BD370 aside from being able to play HD-DVD's?

Here is my reasoning for considering selling the BH200:

Want a faster player.
Better future support (upgrades)
Netflix
Could probably sell the BH200, buy the BD370 and still make some money.
post #3706 of 6915 Old 11-20-2009, 05:11 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrainer View Post

I hope this is the right place to post this question:

I was hoping to pickup the BD390 today from my local BestBuy but they were out of stock. I went to another electronics store in my area and a salesperson there told me that the 390 was discontinued and that a replacement model was probably going to be released around February. He didn't have any more details than that and I wasn't sure if he had accurate information. I wouldn't think they would discontinue a player until they had a replacement ready. Has anybody heard of this? I tried searching the forums but I didn't find anyting...

Thanks!

I haven't heard of anything, but I have (and still do) suspect it because of the low prices of the 390.

Stephen.

post #3707 of 6915 Old 11-20-2009, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin803 View Post

I currently have a dual player BH200 and am thinking about selling it and getting a a BD370.

Is there any real reason that makes the BH200 a better player than the BD370 aside from being able to play HD-DVD's?

Here is my reasoning for considering selling the BH200:

Want a faster player.
Better future support (upgrades)
Netflix
Could probably sell the BH200, buy the BD370 and still make some money.

I sold off my remaining 2 BH200s a couple of months ago and made a nice profit based on what I paid for them. I just thought it was time to "cut the cord" on HD-DVD and LG. I always liked my 200 but was very disappointed in LG's lack of support.

Anyway, with that said, some things you should consider:

1. Do you have a large collection of HD-DVDs and if so, do you have a backup HD player?

2. If DVD upconverting is important, the 200's QDEO processor will do a better job than the 370.

3. Being that the 370 is also LG, I would be cautious that when LG releases their next gen of players, the 370 may suffer the same fate of slow and poor support.

I am trying to be objective here but I would not purchase another LG BD player again, unless they establish a future track record of much better support for their products older than 1 yr. In addition, like Samsung, they only offer a 90 day labor warranty. That doesn't inspire much confidence when even less heralded brands give 1 yr. Good luck in your choice.

Mike T

My BDP-05FD, still going strong and still my favorite player!

post #3708 of 6915 Old 11-20-2009, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-tee View Post

I sold off my remaining 2 BH200s a couple of months ago and made a nice profit based on what I paid for them. I just thought it was time to "cut the cord" on HD-DVD and LG. I always liked my 200 but was very disappointed in LG's lack of support.

Anyway, with that said, some things you should consider:

1. Do you have a large collection of HD-DVDs and if so, do you have a backup HD player?

2. If DVD upconverting is important, the 200's QDEO processor will do a better job than the 370.

3. Being that the 370 is also LG, I would be cautious that when LG releases their next gen of players, the 370 may suffer the same fate of slow and poor support.

I am trying to be objective here but I would not purchase another LG BD player again, unless they establish a future track record of much better support for their products older than 1 yr. In addition, like Samsung, they only offer a 90 day labor warranty. That doesn't inspire much confidence when even less heralded brands give 1yr. Good luck in your choice.

Mike T

I do not have a large collection of HD-DVD's (7) and in fact would just sell them with the player.

DVD upconversion is somewhat important in that in the few occasions that I do watch a DVD I would rather it not look terrible. If the upconverting is close to what the BH200 does than I would be happy.

Are there any other BR players in the $150 or less range that you would recommend over the BD370?
post #3709 of 6915 Old 11-20-2009, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin803 View Post

I do not have a large collection of HD-DVD's (7) and in fact would just sell them with the player.

DVD upconversion is somewhat important in that in the few occasions that I do watch a DVD I would rather it not look terrible. If the upconverting is close to what the BH200 does than I would be happy.

Are there any other BR players in the $150 or less range that you would recommend over the BD370?

DVD upconversion is a whole subject in itself. But generally, the size of your display and simply "what looks good to your eyes" are a good place to start. Since I don't have a 370 to compare, I'm sure there are others in this thread that can shed some light on that.

As for recommendations for your needs Netflix etc., I would check out this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=969206

Mike T

My BDP-05FD, still going strong and still my favorite player!

post #3710 of 6915 Old 11-20-2009, 06:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapplemcn View Post

I hooked up my 390 and it cannot find my network. What are some initial steps I need to take to make a wireless connection? I have a Dlink dir-625 router. thanks

The internal WiFi radio is pure xxxx, i use a WRT54GL(Linux with Tomato firmware) and 7dB high gain antennas on stands (so i can hide unit behind rack) and had good results with HD on my 8 Mb down cable service. Watched Ongbak2 without interruptions on 2 bars signal when the internal radio could not even find network.

Get a decent bridgeable router and install it next to your system, then hardwire the box. IMHO the dedicated access points are worthless.

After 20 movies i still believe this box is an improvement over the BX100 for Vudu. As for BD i only use it as a transport, the scaling for the
DVDs i store in the Escient enslaved carousels is the Reon VX's job in my PJ.
post #3711 of 6915 Old 11-20-2009, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eb50 View Post

can the 370 be hooked up to a home windows network and stream movies? i know the 390 has the mymedia option, but i didnt see this as an option for the 370. tia!

No, the BD370 network connection is only for firmware updates, Netflix/Cinemanow/Youtube, and BD Live. It does not connect to media on the local network.
post #3712 of 6915 Old 11-21-2009, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp34gsh View Post

I have swapped out star trek do toall the issues i was having with it and am happy to report it was the disc, the new one playes great
post #3713 of 6915 Old 11-21-2009, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerguy View Post

For those of you having stutter, lag, or connection issues with your LG3x0 - are you using Comcast High Speed Internet? If so, that may be the source of your problem. Comcast recently started a big upgrade project to go from DOCSIS 2.0 to DOCSIS 3.0, and it's causing horrible problems for a lot of users.

Symptoms are slow connection, connection dropouts, intermittent packet loss in the 2% - 10% range, and all kinds of fun stuff. 1% - 2% packet loss will cause streaming video to drop or freeze.

If you have Comcast, check your connection with a ping test (not a "speed test") several times during the day. If you see packet loss, call Comcast and ask for resolution.

Are you referrring to packet loss (2% or more) for wired or wireless connections?
post #3714 of 6915 Old 11-21-2009, 06:57 AM

I was specifically referring to Comcast's DOCSIS (Data Over Cable Service) network.
post #3715 of 6915 Old 11-21-2009, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by forepj View Post

I cannot get any of my video files to playback on my BD390. I've tried using Windows Media and Nero. I see the shared folders and can select the files, but they do not playback. I can stream using TVersity and I have no problems with Netflix or Vudu. I can open all my music and photos as well. I'd like to playback OTA recordings I've been making, but no go so far. It's so close to being ideal.

I have not been able to play OTA recording as well. It just tells me the folder is emply or that it cannot play this type of file (.wtv).

lujan
667 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #3716 of 6915 Old 11-21-2009, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapplemcn View Post

Well, that could be a pretty big topic. I'm not using wireless, but to see how the setup worked I tried it. The LG found my network w/o problem, but at the moment I'm allowing the router to broadcast the SSID. The LG also correctly detected the encryption type. When I tried to enter my pretty long encryption password the unit did not connect. This could be purely due to my making a mistake, but I didn't try it again as the entry interface is, ah, a little tedious.

In any event if you get the network connected there is something you need to do specific to your d-Link router. The d-Link implementation of DNS Relay doesn't work so well with the LG and makes connections very sporadic.

To fix this you need to manually enter your ISP's primary and seconary DNS addresses in the LG's network setup screen. You can find these addresses in the main Status screen in the router's web setup interface.

It is not necessary to use a static IP address for the LG (although if you do use DHCP I'd recommend setting up a DHCP reserved address for the LG), but you MUST make the DNS setup Manual and enter the hard IP addresses for the DNS servers.

Once I did this I had no more connection problems.
post #3717 of 6915 Old 11-21-2009, 08:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:

I have not been able to play OTA recording as well. It just tells me the folder is emply or that it cannot play this type of file (.wtv).

I've no problem playing my OTA recordings I made between 2001 and 2004 which are in the ts(transport stream) format.

I have not tried any recent ones from my TiVo, but those should not be a problem since I would need to convert them first and I can choose from several formats.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #3718 of 6915 Old 11-21-2009, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you trying to stream from a PC, if so what OS do you have.
If Vista or Win 7 take a look here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=317

Also check the video files with MediaInfo, a free open source program from Sourceforge.net. If MediaInfo reports the encoder as VC-1, the 390 does not support that, AVC, Mpeg2 is OK. If the bitrate of the video exceeds about 20 Mb/sec, the 390 will choke and the video will be broken up.
This is a limitaion of the 390, not the network, since it also happens if the video is fed to the 380 from an external USB HDD.

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
post #3719 of 6915 Old 11-21-2009, 08:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:

In any event if you get the network connected there is something you need to do specific to your d-Link router. The d-Link implementation of DNS Relay doesn't work so well with the LG and makes connections very sporadic.

To fix this you need to manually enter your ISP's primary and seconary DNS addresses in the LG's network setup screen. You can find these addresses in the main Status screen in the router's web setup interface.

It is not necessary to use a static IP address for the LG (although if you do use DHCP I'd recommend setting up a DHCP reserved address for the LG), but you MUST make the DNS setup Manual and enter the hard IP addresses for the DNS servers.

Once I did this I had no more connection problems.

So this is a DNS relays problem? I've used over 150 devices on my network during the last 13 years and the first device I had this problem with was the Panasonic BD 50 and then the Panny BD35. The LG BD390 is only the third device I've had to do this with. I don't know why the problems were with three BD players and nothing else.

I've been using Dlink routers for a while(A DGL4300 and a DGL4500 since they came out). But even when I switched to just using the FIOS Actiontec router, a netgear router, and a Linksys router with the BD50, it had the same problem.
I only changed the DNS servers IP addresses on a lark since I had tried everything else. But I figured it had something to do with the player since the issue was there with four different routers.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #3720 of 6915 Old 11-21-2009, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

So this is a DNS relays problem? I've used over 150 devices on my network during the last 13 years and the first device I had this problem with was the Panasonic BD 50 and then the Panny BD35. The LG BD390 is only the third device I've had to do this with. I don't know why the problems were with three BD players and nothing else.

Well, I found some references to DNS Relay problems with the d-Links on some firmware sites. There were also a couple of earlier posts on this forum related to this problem even if indirectly.

I don't necessarily want to point at what's causing the problem (sort of like the HDMI handshake issue between Denon AVR's and Sony TV's) as it's hard to tell, but we've had this type of problem in the past with access to email servers on our network where plugging the DNS addresses in our computers made the problems go away.

The characteristics I was having looked like a DNS type problem and so it was worth a try. Plugging in the hard addresses in the LG took care of it. Could be just one of those really sensitive timing issues.

I should be clear that I didn't turn off DNS relay on my router as it works fine for everything else we've got and my wife is in the middle of a big project.

Anyway, worked for me.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd 370 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page