Forum Jump: 

post #4681 of 6916 Old 01-01-2010, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmaace01 View Post

I was looking to buy a new stereo to use with my LG 370, and was worried by what I read on page 10 regarding audio switching/decoding. ...
A Pioneer VSX-819H-K user on newegg said, "Most discs have menus that are Dolby Digital stereo, then switch to DTS HD or Dolby True HD for the movie. This unit will NOT change formats on the fly. You have to power the unit off while playing the movie to get the HD audio......I contacted LG about the issue, and they actually confirmed the problem with the Pioneer product in the lab, called back the next day and suggested not using the auto surround, but stream direct."

So, are there any receivers you all recommend that play nice with the 370? I'd prefer to spend under $350.

Happy New Year!

I have a Yamaha V-RX-465. I have the BD-370 set to "HDMI-Primary Pass-Thru" and the receiver happily switches between all the different formats on any DVD or Blu-Ray without a hitch. You can watch the display on the front of the Yamaha as it does this. Infact, I was unaware that this was an issue until you brought it up.

I paid under $350 for it at Best Buy. I'm very happy with this unit.

Take Care,
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 6916 Old 01-01-2010, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by thosj View Post

Mine works just fine with a Netflix 1 disk-at-a-time plan, the minimum. I don't think there are any limitations regarding account type and streaming content with Netflix on a network Blu-Ray player. On an XBox 360 you need an XBox Live Gold account to stream, maybe that's what you saw. On a Windows 7 (...and Vista?) PC with Windows Media Center you can stream Netflix, too, no Netflix account minimum.

Someone did post that they couldn't stream to the 370 with the minimum plan. They contacted Netflix and were told they needed at least the minimum "unlimited" plan. The minimum plan is the 1-dvd/2 per month plan for $4.99. The minimum "unlimited" plan is 1-dvd for $8.99. Which do you have?

Cheers, Dave
post #4683 of 6916 Old 01-01-2010, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I think every Netflix plan, expect the $5 (2 rentals total in 1 month) one, has Unlimited Streaming.
post #4684 of 6916 Old 01-01-2010, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
lg390...I was wondering what the media home4 disc included with the player was for.

Also, since I just bought this unit, should I do a firmware update? is there anyway to tell on the box or unit when it was manufactured hence a later date should have the up to date firmware.

I have no router so firmware updates are a pia for me. thanks
post #4685 of 6916 Old 01-01-2010, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

I think every Netflix plan, expect the $5 (2 rentals total in 1 month) one, has Unlimited Streaming.

Yes, they do and BR adds another $2-$4 to each of the unlimited plans.

Cheers, Dave
post #4686 of 6916 Old 01-01-2010, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post

I have a Yamaha V-RX-465. I have the BD-370 set to "HDMI-Primary Pass-Thru" and the receiver happily switches between all the different formats on any DVD or Blu-Ray without a hitch. You can watch the display on the front of the Yamaha as it does this. Infact, I was unaware that this was an issue until you brought it up.

I paid under $350 for it at Best Buy. I'm very happy with this unit.

Take Care,
Eric

Thanks Eric! That was one of my choices I was looking to buy.
post #4687 of 6916 Old 01-01-2010, 04:22 PM

Just wanted to say I'm happy as a pig in poop. Picked up a LG390 for $225 along with a wireless router. Still don't understand the wireless stuff but it works. Burned dvd's and cd's work fine. Upscaling looks awesome. Streaming Netflix is hit and miss depending on the source material. The Les Paul movie looked great, the Rev Horton Heat not so much. Update now includes Vudu.

My media files sent wirelessly using Nero Mediahome look and sound great. Streamed a 4gig mt2s torrent file ,worked great.

My only problem now is sharing files from my host computer and a external hard drive. 80 gig in the computer is near full with some of my media but want to access the media stored on the 500gig ext hd. When I try to share a file on my ext hd , it tries to go to my C drive which is full already. Anyway to access all media from both drives wirelessly using the Nero software with the 390?
post #4688 of 6916 Old 01-01-2010, 04:27 PM

My LG390 is set up for wireless. I want to compare streaming with it wired as I am having trouble streaming large HD files.
When I connect the wired LAN cable do I have to change the wireless settings such as turning off wireless or can both operate at the same time?
post #4689 of 6916 Old 01-01-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:

I was looking to buy a new stereo to use with my LG 370, and was worried by what I read on page 10 regarding audio switching/decoding. I also found this thread where others had audio issues. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1143830

A Pioneer VSX-819H-K user on newegg said, "Most discs have menus that are Dolby Digital stereo, then switch to DTS HD or Dolby True HD for the movie. This unit will NOT change formats on the fly. You have to power the unit off while playing the movie to get the HD audio......I contacted LG about the issue, and they actually confirmed the problem with the Pioneer product in the lab, called back the next day and suggested not using the auto surround, but stream direct."

So, are there any receivers you all recommend that play nice with the 370? I'd prefer to spend under $350.

Happy New Year!

Anyone else have receiver suggestions?
post #4690 of 6916 Old 01-01-2010, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Anyone else have receiver suggestions?

There's a section of the forum dedicated to receivers.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #4691 of 6916 Old 01-01-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben12345 View Post

My LG390 is set up for wireless. I want to compare streaming with it wired as I am having trouble streaming large HD files.
When I connect the wired LAN cable do I have to change the wireless settings such as turning off wireless or can both operate at the same time?

There is only one network configuration setting for the BD390. So, if you use a wired connection after having previously configured wireless, you will have to reconfigure your setting. The first question it asks is "wired/wireless" for your network config.
post #4692 of 6916 Old 01-01-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

There's a section of the forum dedicated to receivers.

Yes, I know that.
As I pointed out, there is an issue with the 370 and some receivers...I figured asking 370 owners which receivers they have that don't have the issue would be a more logical idea.
post #4693 of 6916 Old 01-01-2010, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

But it's not logical, because every member in this thread probably uses a different receiver, so what do you wish to accomplish? Have every member post the receiver they use so everyone has to wade through hundreds of posts of receivers in a BD player thread?

You're better off either 1) starting a new thread in the receiver section OR 2) narrowing it down to a couple of receivers you like and then posing the question in that receivers thread to see if other members have a 370.

Understand the logic?

post #4694 of 6916 Old 01-01-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

But it's not logical, because every member in this thread probably uses a different receiver, so what do you wish to accomplish? Have every member post the receiver they use so everyone has to wade through hundreds of posts of receivers in a BD player thread?

You're better off either 1) starting a new thread in the receiver section OR 2) narrowing it down to a couple of receivers you like and then posing the question in that receivers thread to see if other members have a 370.

Understand the logic?

1. Every 370 owner wouldn't respond, that's silly...so the thread wouldn't be weighed down.
2. They could PM.
3. Where's the best place to find 370 owners? Not the receiver section.
post #4695 of 6916 Old 01-01-2010, 06:58 PM

Does the LG BD-390 do SACD and DVDA over HDMI?
post #4696 of 6916 Old 01-01-2010, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1. Every 370 owner wouldn't respond, that's silly...so the thread wouldn't be weighed down.
2. They could PM.
3. Where's the best place to find 370 owners? Not the receiver section.

1. Then what good would it do? You just want one person to give you a suggestion and then you'll buy it? You need multiple perspectives to make a decision - this isn't the thread for that.
2. Then you should have specified that in your OP.
3. The point is still alluding you.

The point is not to clutter up this thread regarding recommendations for receivers, TV's, cables, DVR's, amps, UPS', etc. Since you don't understand and my attempts to explain it to you have already cluttered up the thread more than necessary, I'll stop posting and you can go ahead and have the last word. I've tried to give you the advice you need to make your decision and where to find it, but apparently you can't grasp it. Good Luck

post #4697 of 6916 Old 01-01-2010, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

You are right of course - I also tried District 9 - which I think is a Sony Movie. Has anyone got the 7669 code to work on the BD390? I am using the hidden number keys on the remote followed by enter.

It is strange I can't get the menu button to work on any of the Blue Ray discs I have (Terminator Salvation - Directors Cut and Standard version - or District 9). Pressing the title/pop up key does seem to bring up a menu. The menu button does work if I play DVDs.

I also tried this code '7669 enter' with Angels and Demons which is a Sony movie - but again it didn't work. Anyone managed to get the code to work on the BD390? It would be nice to have some Blu-Ray Calibration patterns.
post #4698 of 6916 Old 01-01-2010, 10:10 PM

I read a good chunk at the start of this thread then skipped to the last 10 pages, and haven't seen anyone else mention this. My apologies if I missed it elsewhere in the thread.

I just connected a new 390, connected wireless (no problems), and did the firmware upgrade it suggested.

After the (required) reboot, and one time since then (in about 8 or 10 total starts) I got a full green screen on video, could not get any other video signal (HDMI to a DVDO Edge). Front panel display was responsive. The first time I had no disc in, the second time I did and audio was fine (it restarted the disc (stddef DVD) where it left off).

Both times a reboot solved it. So I found this thread to see if it was a known issue, or if I seem to have a one-off defect, hopefully fixed by replacing the unit.
post #4699 of 6916 Old 01-02-2010, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 70
It looks like there are three selectable levels of analog multi-channel output from the BD390 - low, medium, high. The manual specifies analog multi-channel out as 2Vrms - my Yamaha HTR5760 specifies multi-channel input as 200mV. From this I am assuming that I should set the output at low?

Really surprised this is a selectable option - I would have thought analog DVD/Blu-Ray to Receiver connections would have conformed to a universal standard.
post #4700 of 6916 Old 01-02-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

It looks like there are three selectable levels of analog multi-channel output from the BD390 - low, medium, high. The manual specifies analog multi-channel out as 2Vrms - my Yamaha HTR5760 specifies multi-channel input as 200mV. From this I am assuming that I should set the output at low?

Really surprised this is a selectable option - I would have thought analog DVD/Blu-Ray to Receiver connections would have conformed to a universal standard.

Isn't the options you mentioned for the test tone?
post #4701 of 6916 Old 01-02-2010, 08:50 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow ride View Post

lg390...I was wondering what the media home4 disc included with the player was for.

Also, since I just bought this unit, should I do a firmware update? is there anyway to tell on the box or unit when it was manufactured hence a later date should have the up to date firmware.

I have no router so firmware updates are a pia for me. thanks

You probably need to update your firmware.

If you can't network the player, you can install the updates via USB.

Here is the link to the update page on LG's website. It has PDF instructions, detailing the procedure.

http://www.lge.com/us/support/produc...ialTab=drivers
post #4702 of 6916 Old 01-02-2010, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch47d View Post

You probably need to update your firmware.

If you can't network the player, you can install the updates via USB.

Here is the link to the update page on LG's website. It has PDF instructions, detailing the procedure.

http://www.lge.com/us/support/produc...ialTab=drivers

thanks for that info. looks like you need windows to install it. I have a mac. not worried, everything seems to be working fine for what I want to do( just watching movies).
post #4703 of 6916 Old 01-02-2010, 10:02 AM

I am having two issues with my BD390. I scanned and searched through this thread and didn't seem to find anything mentioned.

First, when streaming movies on Netflix I periodically loose sound. No video issues, just the sound seems to drop for a split second. I upgraded to one of the highest internet speeds and it didn't make a difference.

I also am having problems with regular CDs dropping sound for a split second as well. No issues with the rest of the system when watching bluray or cable.

Any suggestions? I am running the BD390 via HDMI to a Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH Receiver.
post #4704 of 6916 Old 01-02-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgeary View Post

Does the LG BD-390 do SACD and DVDA over HDMI?

No, because it supports neither format.
post #4705 of 6916 Old 01-02-2010, 11:59 AM

So I just got the BD390 to demo and compare with my Panny BD80. Wanted to know if the BD390 had the same pop up display, that showed the Mbps of bandwidth being transmitted which it shows on the BD80. Also if there was a way to have multiple picture modes like panasonic's fine, cinema, soft, normal and user- I think the BD390 only has Standard, and user..

Also, I had an issue when testing speaker configuration. I have a 2.1 setup currently, and went ahead and set my speakers to LARGE ( i have Polk RTi12's) and tested the connection. For some reason, no noise comes from the left speaker, but when playing blu ray movies, it seems perfectly fine. Anyone have this similar issue?
post #4706 of 6916 Old 01-02-2010, 01:51 PM

I have a ton of dts encoded wav files on my computer. Anyone know if the bd-390 will stream these from my pc, the usb port, or whether it will play a dvd loaded with dts wav files. An old DVD player had this feature. Loved it.
post #4707 of 6916 Old 01-02-2010, 01:56 PM

I have a 390 and just got off the phone with LG. My FIOS router is about 50 ft. away from the box. I can stream you tube just fine but Netflix and Vudu drop out constantly. The signal is only 2 bars. My Tivo box streams Netflix just fine and the signal is about 75%. LG tells me my router has to be within 20 ft. of the box. This will not work in my current setup, nor will a wired connection work. Any ideas? Thanks
post #4708 of 6916 Old 01-02-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbwjr View Post

I have a 390 and just got off the phone with LG. My FIOS router is about 50 ft. away from the box. I can stream you tube just fine but Netflix and Vudu drop out constantly. The signal is only 2 bars. My Tivo box streams Netflix just fine and the signal is about 75%. LG tells me my router has to be within 20 ft. of the box. This will not work in my current setup, nor will a wired connection work. Any ideas? Thanks

Powerline networking might work for you. I was getting decent signal about 15-20ft from my wireless router, but content was choppy enough to make it unwatchable. I installed two powerline adapters (across knob and tube wiring!) and get a constant 27Mbps. Hasn't stuttered since I installed them.
post #4709 of 6916 Old 01-02-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlaporte View Post

Powerline networking might work for you. I was getting decent signal about 15-20ft from my wireless router, but content was choppy enough to make it unwatchable. I installed two powerline adapters (across knob and tube wiring!) and get a constant 27Mbps. Hasn't stuttered since I installed them.

Thanks for the quick response. Can you give me a little more information on powerline adapters? I'm hooked up to a Monster 1800 line smoother and surge supressor but you must be speaking of something different. How can you tell Mbps the BD390 is receiving?
post #4710 of 6916 Old 01-02-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones666 View Post

DETAILED INFO:
I have the BD360 I just purchased at Costco (Canada) for $150 (what a bargain!). But I'm experiencing serious problems with my network. I wired the player to my router. At first it wouldn't connect at all with auto settings so I decided to enter the Ip info manually and rebooted the player. This seems to have worked and the player can now connect to Youtube and also I was able to update its firmware. But now, any other device in my home is incapable of connecting to the router! My iphone sees the Wi-Fi router, but connecting to it yields a weird 160.x.x.x IP. My three wired PCs get the same treatment (cannot connect to the router properly). If I unplug the Bd360 wire from my router, then everything comes back to normal with my PCs and iphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by another schmo View Post

What you describe seems only possible if you assigned the BD360 the same IP address as your router/default gateway (e.g. 192.168.1.1). Did you pick an address outside of the router's DHCP range?

Thanks for your reply another schmo,

The info I entered in the network section is as follow:

IP ADDRESS; 192.168.1.190
SUBNET MASK: 255.255.255.0
GATEWAY: 192.168.1.1
DNS SERVER:

My router sits on 192.168.1.1
My local PCs are getting IP addresse from 192.168.1.100 and in my Router settings, I set the DHCP end IP address to 192.168.1.150 . So I figured if I place the BD360 on 192.168.1.190, it should be outside the router's DHCP range... is this assumption correct?

My ISP has two DNS servers. But we seem to be only able to add one to the LG Player, so I entered the first server. Would this make a difference?

What I wonder is, why is the automatic network function not working for the LG player? Shouldn't it recognize the network automatically?

EDIT (later): I don't know why, but now everything seems to work fine. I didn't try the automatic function again, but the manual info I entered seems to work and the other computers are still online. Why? I don't know... I didn't change anytyhing. But it works, so I wont complaint! ;-)
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd 370 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page