BD370/390 LG Blu-ray player Master/Owners thread - Page 176 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5251 of 6915 Old 02-10-2010, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
In just the past two nights I have had two seperate movies (blu-rays) freeze during playback several times. When this occurs the player makes a grinding type sound. At first I thought it was scratching the disc, but it is not. I can unfreeze by fastforwarding.

The weird part is that when I go back to area that caused it to freeze it does not, it plays fine. It appears to be sporadic but continual. I got the player from BB right before christmas. So that makes it less than 60 days old.

Anyone else having this kind of issue? Should I return it... if I can?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5252 of 6915 Old 02-10-2010, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm View Post

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and getting the BD370.

The problems with DLINK routers concern me. Is there an "official" fix from either LG or DLINK or is the work-around posted by sandun above the only way to get going?

Cary

I have the BD390 and a DIR-655 router. I don't have any problems. I am running the latest firmware.
post #5253 of 6915 Old 02-10-2010, 08:07 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm View Post

The problems with DLINK routers concern me. Is there an "official" fix from either LG or DLINK or is the work-around posted by sandun above the only way to get going?

FYI I have both a 370 and a 390, going through a D-Link DGL-4100 router. I did not have to make any settings changes to the router.
post #5254 of 6915 Old 02-10-2010, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks for the info on DLINK (ie. you guys don't see any problems).

There's a good price for the 370 today (Amazon) and I've been eying it for use as a second Bluray setup in the house (bedroom). Guess I'll go pull the trigger

Cary
post #5255 of 6915 Old 02-10-2010, 10:37 AM

Liked: 11
reviews.cnet.com/2300-9991_7-10002386-1.html

One thing I noticed no discrete 7.1 outputs
post #5256 of 6915 Old 02-10-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommysss View Post

reviews.cnet.com/2300-9991_7-10002386-1.html

One thing I notice no discrete 7.1 outputs

Also, USB still on front only and behind a flip down front panel, not just the little tab on the 390.

Is Pandora coming to the 390 anytime soon?
post #5257 of 6915 Old 02-10-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

I also got 0% packet loss so that's another indication that the Vudu problems are on their end.

My problem is with Netflix though, not Vudu. But I might have to agree with the consensus here that it is a problem on Netflix side.
post #5258 of 6915 Old 02-10-2010, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_Jeff View Post

Also, USB still on front only and behind a flip down front panel, not just the little tab on the 390.

Is Pandora coming to the 390 anytime soon?

Lame. The internal HDD better let me copy anything I want to it via WiFi. I won't keep the flip down all the time to use my External HDD.

Edit: Even the remote looks cheap. Damn, I'll probably be passing on this.
post #5259 of 6915 Old 02-10-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingrande@cox.ne View Post

Not sure if this has been covered.

I have the 390 and am having problems with the audio on some Netflix movies.

On occasion, I will not have any audio, period. I have the same problem with You Tube, no audio.

I use pass through and HDMI.

On most movies including those on VUDU, I have no problems. However, on most older films no audio.

I tried contacting the folks at Netflix but the best I get is check box for problem and the automatic response they will look into it.

Thoughts?

I've had this issue on occasion when streaming Netflix movies. Not sure if yours is the same issue exactly, but mine appears to be an HDMI handshake problem. What always works for me is to change inputs on the TV (switch to my PVR, for instance), and then back to the 390. If you're using HDMI to a home theater system you might need to switch inputs on that too.
post #5260 of 6915 Old 02-10-2010, 01:28 PM

Hi all;

I'm trying to downgrade the firmware on my BD390 to an older version via USB. However, I'm unable to do so. When I put in the USB drive with the firmware file, nothing happens. If I try using the setup menu, it tries the network connection only, and I'm not connected.
I've also tried burning it to a CD-R - this is also ineffective.

Has anyone else been successful here - any tips or ideas? Help is appreciated. Thanks!
post #5261 of 6915 Old 02-10-2010, 02:59 PM

Liked: 15
I have a LG BD-390.

Aside from NetFlix, does anyone have a sense of any technical issues or problems using either VuDu or CinemaNow on these players?

Does either service appear to have fewer technical isssues or other factors to choose one of them over the other system? Thanks.

B&W 804D2, B&W HTM4 center, LSiFX surrounds, HSU sub, Onkyo TX-NR3010, Parasound Halo A31, NAD t975
post #5262 of 6915 Old 02-10-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback View Post

In just the past two nights I have had two seperate movies (blu-rays) freeze during playback several times. When this occurs the player makes a grinding type sound. At first I thought it was scratching the disc, but it is not. I can unfreeze by fastforwarding.

The weird part is that when I go back to area that caused it to freeze it does not, it plays fine. It appears to be sporadic but continual. I got the player from BB right before christmas. So that makes it less than 60 days old.

Anyone else having this kind of issue? Should I return it... if I can?

Thats the exact problem I'm having. I posted a page or two back but got no response. I'm stumped as it only seems to happen on a small number of my blu rays, although it has happened on the last 4 ive bought successively.
post #5263 of 6915 Old 02-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by svirac View Post

Hi all;

I'm trying to downgrade the firmware on my BD390 to an older version via USB. However, I'm unable to do so. When I put in the USB drive with the firmware file, nothing happens. If I try using the setup menu, it tries the network connection only, and I'm not connected.

Has anyone else been successful here - any tips or ideas? Help is appreciated. Thanks!

Have you made sure that the firmware file was unzipped before you copied it to your USB drive?
post #5264 of 6915 Old 02-10-2010, 06:07 PM

I had a setup working nicely with a PS3 hooked up via HDMI to my Onkyo SR-TX705. Then the PS3's drive died (anybody want a PS3 with a dead drive?), so I picked up the BD370. Looks great, but I get no audio -- on Blu-Ray, on DVD, on anything. Set it to PCM multichannel, passthru, DTS reencode, same thing. Works fine over SPDIF, and I swapped back in the PS3 and played some stuff over the 'net with no trouble, both with PCM and passthru. Back to the BD370 and no dice. LG support was no help, unsurprisingly. The 370 is at the latest firmware. Anybody have this setup working (or not working)?

Update: tried with two other TVs, both 1080p Vizio flat panels. On one the video wouldn't sync, got bizarre flashing garbage on screen. On the other it worked fine, audio and all.
post #5265 of 6915 Old 02-10-2010, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by narclepto99 View Post

Thats the exact problem I'm having. I posted a page or two back but got no response. I'm stumped as it only seems to happen on a small number of my blu rays, although it has happened on the last 4 ive bought successively.

After I dig out of this snow storm, I am going to take it into best buy and see what they say. Hopefully they will let me exchange it.
post #5266 of 6915 Old 02-10-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerason View Post

I've had this issue on occasion when streaming Netflix movies. Not sure if yours is the same issue exactly, but mine appears to be an HDMI handshake problem. What always works for me is to change inputs on the TV (switch to my PVR, for instance), and then back to the 390. If you're using HDMI to a home theater system you might need to switch inputs on that too.

Thanks Joe.

That does seem to be the problem.

I had it set up through my Yamaha receiver and when I switched directly to the TV, it worked fine.

I will try different inputs on my receiver as I prefer the home theater experience.

Do you think a different HDMI cable will help or any other ideas?
post #5267 of 6915 Old 02-11-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback View Post

After I dig out of this snow storm, I am going to take it into best buy and see what they say. Hopefully they will let me exchange it.

I wish you luck with that. Unfortunately I bought mine in August of last year so I'm somewhat screwed when it comes to free options for fixing my problem.
post #5268 of 6915 Old 02-11-2010, 12:16 PM

I have a WDTV Live and with USB HD Bluray looks good, not the greatest. I am contemplating on getting the BD-390 since many have mentioned the PQ (specifically for Epson 8100 projector) .

Does anyone here have the BD-390 and WDTV Live that can comment on the BD PQ between these two models. Would appreciate feedback

Thanks in advance
post #5269 of 6915 Old 02-11-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rao_naren View Post

I have a WDTV Live and with USB HD Bluray looks good, not the greatest. I am contemplating on getting the BD-390 since many have mentioned the PQ (specifically for Epson 8100 projector) .

Does anyone here have the BD-390 and WDTV Live that can comment on the BD PQ between these two models. Would appreciate feedback

So would I in mirror-image. I have a BD390 and was trying to improve on it, particularly on its subtitles management, which is non-existent for MKV files.

I do not access any of the other web options the LG provides, as they are not available for my country.
post #5270 of 6915 Old 02-12-2010, 06:06 AM

Re:" I am thinking of buying a blu-ray player. Now it narrows down to the following 3 :
1). LG BD390
2). Sony BDP-N460
3). Panasonic BD-60 "
I considered the Panasonic, till I read about those issues, I think they were fixed with the latest firmware update. The remote is a good one.

I purchased the LG BD370, has played perfectly all my BD's and rentals without a problem. It loads fast, has different start screen themes. For the price ($145) I'm happy.
The LG BD390 is a step up with more features. Check their site as they have added new models.
post #5271 of 6915 Old 02-12-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumbo View Post

Your receiver isn't a Sony ES by any chance? The STR-DA5400ES specifically?

It is a Sony STR-DG910
post #5272 of 6915 Old 02-12-2010, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob West View Post

Re:" I am thinking of buying a blu-ray player. Now it narrows down to the following 3 :
1). LG BD390
2). Sony BDP-N460
3). Panasonic BD-60 "

I think I read that the Sony BDP-N460 will be upgradable to a 3D player with a firmware update this summer. Don't think the other two will.

lujan
651 Blu-ray
21 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #5273 of 6915 Old 02-12-2010, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just chatted with LGE and here is the transcript:

8:23 AM Amber: Hello Lujan. Welcome to LG Electronics! How may I provide you with excellent service today?
8:24 AM Lujan: Before we waste anyone's time, how familiar are you with the LG BD390 blu-ray player?
8:24 AM Amber: Familiar, how can I help you?
8:25 AM Lujan: The LG player will not read my Roxio created Blu-ray disks that were from .mp4 files. My Samsung reads them, my Panasonic reads them and even my cheap $78.00 Magnavox reads them. Only LG will not, why?
8:27 AM Amber: Let me see what I can do to assist you with this.
8:32 AM Amber: Is it only one certain one that will not play or none of them?
8:33 AM Lujan: None of them and I've created about 15 of them.
8:36 AM Amber: I checked with our engineer and they have no issues with playing them.
8:37 AM Amber: Would you be willing to send in one of yours so they can see if there is some kind of a difference?
8:38 AM Lujan: Your engineering is incorrect. I subscribe to blu-ray forums where others are not able to play them on their LG players as well. Yes, I would be willing to send you one of mine.
8:38 AM Amber: Let me make a case for you
8:38 AM Amber: Can I get your address?
8:39 AM Lujan: ... Albuquerque, NM ...
8:39 AM Amber: Can I get the serial number from the back of the unit?
8:39 AM Lujan: I'm at work and the unit is at home so I don't have it right now.
8:39 AM Lujan: It is registered though.
8:40 AM Amber: Ok, and your email address is ... ?
8:40 AM Lujan: Correct
8:42 AM Amber: Thank you
8:44 AM Amber: If you could send one to LG Electronics, ...
8:44 AM Lujan: Sure, does ... have an email address?
8:48 AM Amber: His email is ... and mine is ...
8:48 AM Lujan: Ok, thank you.
8:49 AM Amber: I created a case for you, the reference number is ...
8:49 AM Lujan: Ok, I'll email this transcript to myself so that I can send it along with the disk. Have a great day!
8:50 AM Amber: You as well and thank you for using LG's Live Chat.

I just got my blu-ray disk back from LG on a box that says "Refused, return to sender". I guess LG was too cheap to pay for postage back to me. Anyway, inside the box was a note with a portion of the note highlighted that says "Blu-ray Disc - Disks such as movies that can be purchased or rented - BD-R/RE discs that contain audio titles, MP3, WMA, or Photo files." This is out of the manual I believe. Also, at the bottom of the page is hand written, "Our new 500 series will support movie playback, sorry for the inconvenience."

Now, it seems more than an inconvenience because isn't this the primary reason for buying a blu-ray player? For it to play blu-ray disks whether they are authored by studios or by the consumer? I have half a mind to write a letter to the president of LG Electronics in the US.

lujan
651 Blu-ray
21 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #5274 of 6915 Old 02-12-2010, 09:07 AM

Hey all - Have a BD390 and generally like it but was reading about the newer Sony offerings that at 3D upgradable (BDP-S570), since I may get a new set in the next year and would consider 3D. The upcoming Sonys seem to be comparable feature-wise to the BD390, but also have Pandora and will be firmware upgradable to 3D. The BD390 would never be upgradable since it doesnt support HDMI 1.4, even if LG were considering offering such an upgrade, which there is no talk of anyhow.

SonyStyle showing a March 12 release date at a price of $249. What would you guys do?
post #5275 of 6915 Old 02-12-2010, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just got my blu-ray disk back from LG on a box that says "Refused, return to sender". I guess LG was too cheap to pay for postage back to me. Anyway, inside the box was a note with a portion of the note highlighted that says "Blu-ray Disc - Disks such as movies that can be purchased or rented - BD-R/RE discs that contain audio titles, MP3, WMA, or Photo files." This is out of the manual I believe. Also, at the bottom of the page is hand written, "Our new 500 series will support movie playback, sorry for the inconvenience."

Now, it seems more than an inconvenience because isn't this the primary reason for buying a blu-ray player? For it to play blu-ray disks whether they are authored by studios or by the consumer? I have half a mind to write a letter to the president of LG Electronics in the US.

I've authored a few BD-R discs using multiavchd (freeware) and all of them have played flawlessly on every player I've tested them on including the bd390. They even worked on the PS3. They were all 1080p H.264 encodes.
post #5276 of 6915 Old 02-12-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob West View Post

1). LG BD390
2). Sony BDP-N460
3). Panasonic BD-60 "
I considered the Panasonic, till I read about those issues, I think they were fixed with the latest firmware update. The remote is a good one.

I purchased the LG BD370, has played perfectly all my BD's and rentals without a problem. It loads fast, has different start screen themes. For the price ($145) I'm happy.
The LG BD390 is a step up with more features. Check their site as they have added new models.

I have all three of them and have not had any issues major issues with them. The LG and the Sony are faster (a little) loading compared to the Panny. All three output good video with BluRay.

Choice may also depend on how much you want to spend and what online features you are looking for.

1) Sony has the most online features. Netflix + Amazon were my priorities. This unit has it. Does a good job with SD DVDs. Works well with my projector over a 35 ft HDMI cable. No eject button on the remote (if you are looking for it).

2) LG has Netflix and Roxio CinemaNow. Love the Netflix UI compared to the one on Tivo. I do not use CinemaNow.

3) The Panasonic has Picasa and Amazon.

All of them have YouTube. All players had no problem streaming (almost 720P'sh) content.

The LG and Panasonic had a few issues working with my projector when using a 35ft run on Monoprice cable. (of course the issue could be on the Mits. 3800 PJ) (so, it should not concern most of the people).

I preferred the SD DVD quality (to my eyes) of Sony. This is on a 92" diagonal screen. On a smaller LCD 42" screen, I could not tell the difference.

There is a big price difference (now) between the Panny and Sony (with LG falling in the middle). If you want to just watch BR movies, then the Panny works well. I bought the Panny when it first came out and still use it as the player in the living room. (used more than the LG which is in the BR).

Nothing in any of the players has stopped me watching a movie or distracted me while watching it. I watch about 2-3 BRs a week (all from Netflix), so mileage may vary for others.

Hope this helps.
post #5277 of 6915 Old 02-12-2010, 12:25 PM

Hi all;

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightrope View Post

Have you made sure that the firmware file was unzipped before you copied it to your USB drive?

Yes, the firmware file was unzipped and in the root of the USB drive. Same deal when I tried the CD-R route. I've even tried multiple different firmware versions, to no avail. Any ideas?
post #5278 of 6915 Old 02-12-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:

I don't quite understand.
so are you saying LG did not even try out the disc you sent them?
and their response is that BD-R/RE discs with movies are not meant to be played on the 390?
post #5279 of 6915 Old 02-12-2010, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewaster View Post

I don't quite understand.
so are you saying LG did not even try out the disc you sent them?
and their response is that BD-R/RE discs with movies are not meant to be played on the 390?

No, they did try out the disk but then sent me the handwritten note as I said earlier. Then I guess in order to avoid the postage to send it back, they wrote "Refused, return to sender".

lujan
651 Blu-ray
21 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #5280 of 6915 Old 02-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

"Blu-ray Disc - Disks such as movies that can be purchased or rented - BD-R/RE discs that contain audio titles, MP3, WMA, or Photo files." This is out of the manual I believe.

Yes, from BD370's manual.

BD390's manual p. 7:
"Blu-ray Disc
- Discs such as movies that can be purchased or rented.
- BD-R/RE discs that contain audio titles, Movie, Music or Photo
files." (bold is mine)
Be that as it may, their answer is totally bogus since you clearly stated DB390.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd 370 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page