post #5341 of 6915 Old 02-23-2010, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenvt View Post

The BD570 is starting to show up in Best Buys on the west coast.

Oh neato! I hope someone posts some impressions (and starts a new thread) when they do. We should probably do one for all 3 players.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5342 of 6915 Old 02-23-2010, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyfy View Post

Putting my 390 up on eBay. Audio sync issue is killing me. Was terrible on "Law Abiding Citizen." So bad it made the movie tough to enjoy.

How is your audio connected and what are your audio settings?
post #5343 of 6915 Old 02-23-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

Oh neato! I hope someone posts some impressions (and starts a new thread) when they do. We should probably do one for all 3 players.

I was actually just in a Best Buy in Virginia and they had three 570s sitting there next to a stack of nine 370s.
post #5344 of 6915 Old 02-23-2010, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes9 View Post

I was actually just in a Best Buy in Virginia and they had three 570s sitting there next to a stack of nine 370s.

Awesome. Please post here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1229543

And direct any and all BD550/BD570/BD590 discussion in that thread.
post #5345 of 6915 Old 02-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspenc1 View Post

How is your audio connected and what are your audio settings?

HDMI out to an Onkyo 605. Primary pass thru setting selected. The lip sync issue is annoying.
post #5346 of 6915 Old 02-23-2010, 01:31 PM

My BD390 started having a "Disc Error" when trying to load about half of my BD collection, and the ones it would load would freeze after a few minutes. I am feeding it with clean power (Belkin AVU1500, a $1500 MSRP UPS and power conditioner), and it is in an actively-cooled Mid Atlantic rack. I have the latest firmware.

I went through the following to try to get LG to repair/replace my unit:

1. I went to the LG website to fill out the warranty claim form. I submitted all the required info (serial #, contact info, where/when I bought it, etc). I got no confirmation email, and no one ever called me. My claim disappeared into the ether.

2. A few days later, I tried the LG online support chat. The CSR found my claim in their system, but they had done nothing to process it (waiting for me to contact them again I guess?). He told me that I was outside the 90 day labor warranty, but inside the 1-yr parts warranty, so there would be a $69 labor fee. I protested ("can't you just swap it out for a refurbished unit for free?") to no avail. I already spent $300 for the player, it was either pay the $69 or be stuck with a $300 paper weight. He processed my claim online, but said he couldn't take my credit card payment over the web, so he gave me a number to call.

3. I called LG support. First lady I talked to (in the returns department) said she wasn't able to process my repair payment, and transferred me to someone else.

4. The second person made me recite all my info (Case #, serial #, contact info, etc), only to tell me that she ALSO was unable to process my repair payment. She put me on hold for 15 minutes while she tried to find someone that could.

5. The last lady was actually able to take my repair payment, but she was obviously chewing gum the entire time and was very unprofessional.

I still haven't gotten any kind of confirmation email from LG, but presumably they are snail-mailing me a pre-paid shipping label for my return (can't they just email that?). At least I don't have to pay shipping.

I'm expecting to be without my player for at least a month (shipping time to wait for the label to be sent + shipping time to LG + repair time +return shipping time), so I just gave in and ordered an Oppo BDP-80. I'll rely on the LG to do streaming or just buy a $100 Roku player (that actually has Pandora, unlike the LG).

I wish the Oppo was available when I bought the LG, because I would have gotten it instead. Oppo has a better warranty, a better support department, and supports DVD-A and SACD. Wireless and streaming capability aren't worth dealing with LG's poor quality and lousy support.
post #5347 of 6915 Old 02-23-2010, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

HDMI out to an Onkyo 605. Primary pass thru setting selected. The lip sync issue is annoying.

I have this same setup but only lip sync issues with Dolby TrueHD (Law AC is Dolby TrueHD). If you set your truehd to PCM in the LG 390 and send it to the 605 it cures the lip sync issue on mine. I am reluctant to return because the DVD upconversion is better than my Toshiba A-35 (HDDVD), Panny 30, and Sony CX-900 megachanger. However, I would like to see a review of the new Sony BDP-570. Sony is now shipping. I have 7 days left on my Fry's 30 day return.
post #5348 of 6915 Old 02-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

I just received a Sony BDP-370. No lip sync issue on Law Abiding Citizen. It does most of what the LG does as well as far as features. Off to eBay the LG goes.
post #5349 of 6915 Old 02-23-2010, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just received a Sony BDP-370. No lip sync issue on Law Abiding Citizen. It does most of what the LG does as well as far as features. Off to eBay the LG goes.

What is it missing in comparison other than wifi?
post #5350 of 6915 Old 02-23-2010, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Nothing that I can tell so far. Vudu is the only thing that sticks out and I didn't use that. There doesn't appear to be a pass thru option for the Sony player however so it seems everything comes out as PCM unless I'm missing something. Only options under audio are Auto and PCM. Will do some more checking.
post #5351 of 6915 Old 02-23-2010, 03:00 PM

I am having trouble getting a good network connection for my 390. I have wireless N, but something about the configuration of my house makes for a weak signal. I can't really move the router and it is too far to run ethernet. I have a Linksys PLS300 powerline adapter, which worked for a while, with varying speeds, but now won't show any network connection at all on the receiving end. I suspect I have old and "noisy" wiring. What are my options? Is there any way to boost the wireless signal? Are there any new powerline adapters that work well with difficult wiring situations?

I keep my huge Blu-ray collection stored at Netflix. :0)
post #5352 of 6915 Old 02-23-2010, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nothing that I can tell so far. Vudu is the only thing that sticks out and I didn't use that. There doesn't appear to be a pass thru option for the Sony player however so it seems everything comes out as PCM unless I'm missing something. Only options under audio are Auto and PCM. Will do some more checking.

I am very interested in the S570. Still waiting for a review.
post #5353 of 6915 Old 02-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's not defending, it's common sense.

I agree if your business model is to sell one thing, get your money and run.
But if you try to build a base of loyal customers, if you care about repeat business adding "applications" makes a lot of sense.
First, LG itself raised such expectations with Vudu.
Second, everybody else in the industry does that, at least main competitors like Samsung, Sony,... (Comparison to Nissan is not legitimate because nobody in automotive industry does such thing.)
At the time I bought 390 I was contemplating Samsung 3600 and a tipping point was 390's Netflix vs. 3600's Pandora. But today 3600 has Netflix also and I don't have Pandora. So, when time comes to buy the next player for myself or my friends Samsung is going to be in front of LG because they take care of their customers.
post #5354 of 6915 Old 02-23-2010, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post

But if you try to build a base of loyal customers, if you care about repeat business adding "applications" makes a lot of sense.
Second, everybody else in the industry does that, at least main competitors like Samsung, Sony,... (Comparison to Nissan is not legitimate because nobody in automotive industry does such thing.)
At the time I bought 390 I was contemplating Samsung 3600 and a tipping point was 390's Netflix vs. 3600's Pandora. But today 3600 has Netflix also and I don't have Pandora. So, when time comes to buy the next player for myself or my friends Samsung is going to be in front of LG because they take care of their customers.

LG added VuDu, Samsung added Blockbuster (so very lame). Neither were forced to, but did so because they had no future plays due out in the next 45 days. LG has new players out today. Samsung has new players out today. No reason to keep supporting a base of customers who own discontinued players. This is how the game has been played for years.
post #5355 of 6915 Old 02-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is how the game has been played for years.

That's right - in XX century, but some of us are already in XXI.
post #5356 of 6915 Old 02-23-2010, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's right - in XX century, but some of us are already in XXI.

If you want, I'll let you look at pictures of my pretty BD590.
post #5357 of 6915 Old 02-23-2010, 05:59 PM

Resume playback function.....as found on page 34 for the BD390 manual. This only works while the disc is still in, and the unit is powered on? The first note says the resume point MAY be cleared when a button is pressed. Does it or doesn't it save the point?
I have cheap $39 players that maintain this resume point after the power is off, and this doesn't? Am I missing something? What a pain to stop a movie, then come back and start from scratch. So far this is the only real annoyance I have with my BD390. Besides wondering what WalMart will now do to VUDU. Any feedback will be appreciated. I don't see any similar comments/answers to this question.
post #5358 of 6915 Old 02-23-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:

Yes, fix bugs. Not to get people who already bought the player new features that they want to sell in the new, updated players. LG has to pay money to license each 'feature' per machine, so why pay extra money to license it to a group of people who no longer bring them any money? You want feature x, buy a new player. Don't expect more free services just because you have a player that does firmware updates.

VuDu was a nice surprise, but not required since it was not advertised as such when they first marketed the player (of course, people still threw a tantrum when it was advertised well after they bought the player and it was not readily available when an insider said it would be. How dare it have a week or two delay!).

Why not have an option to purchase extra features for download? Then LG can at least maintain a modest revenue stream for those of us with the BD390? Honestly, I would be happy to pay a fair price for feature upgrades via firmware. Add an internal menu item that ties in the serial number to a central server (it's probably there already) and let me pay via a website with my serial number as a link. Download said feature updates only to my unit, and have a continued happy customer. Planned obsolescence isn't going to cut it in these economic times.
post #5359 of 6915 Old 02-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you want, I'll let you look at pictures of my pretty BD590.

No, I don't want. 590 is a huge step backward: no 7.1 outputs which always was a sign of high-end model; full-length panel in front of USB - what a stupid idea; I don't want a hard drive - let Vudu hold movies I bought. By this time everybody has a solution to hold ripped CDs and I want my ripped music to be portable anyway.
Yes, I do want Pandora, but since LG does not want to give it to me I'm contemplating some alternatives, e.g., Boxee or some DLNA server. And if eventually LG won't provide Pandora I'll drop LG from my list of candidates for future purchases.
I'm not sure about Picasa yet, but don't care about AccuWeather.

BTW about loyal customers: PS3 got all latest technology, Slim or not, and Sony even promised 3D, all for free - that's XXI century business model.
post #5360 of 6915 Old 02-24-2010, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah tell that to BDP1200, BDP1400 and BD-UP5000 owners
post #5361 of 6915 Old 02-24-2010, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rveras View Post

Why don't you bring up VCRs, CRTs, ... - absolutely irrelevant in this context.
post #5362 of 6915 Old 02-24-2010, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rveras View Post

Samsungs are a pile of crap. The new 6900 looks hella sexy, but it's a Samsung, so I passed.
post #5363 of 6915 Old 02-24-2010, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, I don't want. 590 is a huge step backward: no 7.1 outputs which always was a sign of high-end model; full-length panel in front of USB - what a stupid idea; I don't want a hard drive - let Vudu hold movies I bought. By this time everybody has a solution to hold ripped CDs and I want my ripped music to be portable anyway.

7.1 Analog...get over it. It's 2010 and receivers have had HDMI for years now. 5.1/7.1, at the start, were essentially required thanks to players not internally decoding lossless and receivers being expensive. You can now get any player and it internally decodes TrueHD/DTS MA, and receivers are hella cheap. I'm glad they didn't stick me with a higher price to support a decling amount of people who latch on to old receivers.

Yes, USB is the front dumb. But I suspect it's because they are re-using components and don't want to move stuff around. Internal Harddrive is great, if you know what to do with it And if you do, no need for USB.

Quote:
BTW about loyal customers: PS3 got all latest technology, Slim or not, and Sony even promised 3D, all for free - that's XXI century business model.

Its 1080i 3D, not 1080p. You can thank Sony for not making the PS3 1.4 compliant.
post #5364 of 6915 Old 02-24-2010, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderdog View Post

Why not have an option to purchase extra features for download? Then LG can at least maintain a modest revenue stream for those of us with the BD390? Honestly, I would be happy to pay a fair price for feature upgrades via firmware. Add an internal menu item that ties in the serial number to a central server (it's probably there already) and let me pay via a website with my serial number as a link. Download said feature updates only to my unit, and have a continued happy customer. Planned obsolescence isn't going to cut it in these economic times.

While great, that still means LG has to pay the license fee, and at that point, why not give it away to everyone? Very few people would care about buying more Widgets (at least in today's time).
post #5365 of 6915 Old 02-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

7.1 Analog...get over it. It's 2010 and receivers have had HDMI for years now. 5.1/7.1, at the start, were essentially required thanks to players not internally decoding lossless and receivers being expensive. You can now get any player and it internally decodes TrueHD/DTS MA, and receivers are hella cheap. I'm glad they didn't stick me with a higher price to support a decling amount of people who latch on to old receivers.

Don't want to buy a new receiver just for the sake of a new connector, especially cheap one with cheap DACs and cheap power amplifier.
Quote:
Yes, USB is the front dumb. But I suspect it's because they are re-using components and don't want to move stuff around. Internal Harddrive is great, if you know what to do with it And if you do, no need for USB.

Who said USB for a hard drive.
I don't want to know what to do with internal hard drive, there is no need for it, everything on a server anyway - it's 2010.

Quote:
Its 1080i 3D, not 1080p. You can thank Sony for not making the PS3 1.4 compliant.

At least PS3 have it without investing in a new piece of something, and 390, and 590 for that matter, doesn't.
post #5366 of 6915 Old 02-24-2010, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Who said USB for a hard drive.
I don't want to know what to do with internal hard drive, there is no need for it, everything on a server anyway - it's 2010.

What would you the USB slot for then?

Quote:
At least PS3 have it without investing in a new piece of something, and 390, and 590 for that matter, doesn't.

It's not true 1080p 3D. It's half-baked (imagine that, Blu-ray and half-baked in the same sentence)
post #5367 of 6915 Old 02-24-2010, 12:07 PM

today - PlayOn Internet Video to Television Solution - Hulu, Netflix, CNN, YouTube $20
http://www.**************/forums/hot-deals/991154/

download patch
http://www.playon.tv/downloads/playo....2.59.3678.exe

also get tversity pro free
http://slickdeals.net/?sdtid=1552099...rsity.com/pro/

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman"

post #5368 of 6915 Old 02-24-2010, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have the BD370 US version. Can I play movies files off a USB stick and via network stream? Are there any unlockable goodies on this thing? I've just updated to the latest firmware version and have it hooked up via ethernet.

Thanks!
post #5369 of 6915 Old 02-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What would you the USB slot for then?

manual, p.26
Quote:

It's not true 1080p 3D. It's half-baked (imagine that, Blu-ray and half-baked in the same sentence)

Half-baked or quater-baked - what matters is quality while one watches a movie (or eat it if you so inclined). So far PS3's been on a par with the best out there. What's going to happen in 3D case we'll judge when it comes.
Also, we always make some compromises: many bought 390, or even 370 for that matter, as oppose to Oppo's even so the latter claims much better quality - money, money, money - rings the bell?

Side note 1. Blu-ray discs mastered in 60i or 24p. What device converts 60i into 60p - blu-ray player or my TV - does not matter at all, it's very simple conversion.

Side note 2. I'm not going to participate in your ego trip any more.

Disclaimer. I don't own PS3 and don't buy Sony at all ( I have my reasons.) But, nevertheless, I'm impressed with their support of this platform.
post #5370 of 6915 Old 02-24-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:

Where did you read this? As far as I know the PS3 will be able to display full 3D. You don't actually need HDMI 1.4 to display 3D. HDMI 1.4 is needed to guarantee enough bandwidth for it, but most 1.3 cables have the necessary bandwidth. This is especially true with blu-ray, as 3D is just 1080p/48, which is less than 1080p/60.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd 370 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page