BD370/390 LG Blu-ray player Master/Owners thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 6915 Old 06-26-2009, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In my case, I am only using analog outputs. Component video and analog audio. All this is done internally in the unit. There is no sync occurring between receiver, television and the BD390. They are simply displaying and reproducing the signals as they receive them.

Sort of blows your sync theory out the window
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 6915 Old 06-26-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhasa-lover View Post

The player does not have a lip synch issue.... The issue is the synergy between components not with one component. Naysayers welcome but do your research first.

I think you mean the interplay or interaction between components. In any case, the problem with the LG (in my experience) is that the sync issue is consistent and pronounced. It is nonexistent with Blu Ray or Standard DVD (suggesting no compatibility issues between my Pio plasma and the LG) yet always there and very annoyingly noticeable with DIVX avi files. Those same files play perfectly on another DVD unit. That qualifies for me as a defect.

My March-build set, as well as an April-build set that I tried picked up a new firmware update, BD.8.08.360B, which regrettably did not fix the problem.
post #723 of 6915 Old 06-26-2009, 06:07 PM

I see there is a new update for the BD390. Does anyone know that bug fixes it corrects??
post #724 of 6915 Old 06-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Will the 390 bitstream the HD tracks to my receiver?

Thanks
Justin
post #725 of 6915 Old 06-26-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneg View Post

Got the 390 yesterday from Newegg.
Everything works.
No lip sinc issues on 2 BR disks and a couple of SD's.

The problem is outputting via a coax cable to my receiver.
The receiver, in receiver years, is as old as me!
It's strictly Dolby Digital 5.1. No HDMI.

With the BRs, no audio during either movie.
The menus and special features are fine!
I have no problem with SDs, as I get the full 5.1

The only audio that I can get (besides on the TV,) is setting the 390
to PCM and 48mhz sampling.

So, have I upgraded my video and downgraded my audio?
Or, is it possible I have a problem with the LG?

Thanks for any opinions...

I am having the same problem. Tonight was the first time I have tried a Blu-Ray disc in the player.

My 390 is connected with HDMI to the TV and through the TosLink cable to my Receiver. My Receiver only does Dolby Digital 5.1.

I hear NO sound at all on the english 5.1 or 7.1 audio channels. I switch the audio to Spanish 5.1 and it works fine.

The Discs I am using is 'The Spirit' and 'Max Payne'

My Audio settings on the 390 are as follows:
HDMI - PCM Stereo (since its connected to a tv)
SPDIF - Primary Pass-Thru
Sampling Freq. - 96 khz
DRC - On
Speaker setup - 5.1

Anyone know how I can watch these movies in ENGLISH and just have 5.1 Dolby Digital? Neither Movie offers it in 5.1 eng non DTS-HD.

THanks for your help

John
post #726 of 6915 Old 06-26-2009, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Dude if your reciever only does DD (how old is it???) ditch it for a new one ~$350 gets a nice mid-range HDMI and lossless audio ready receiver.

The other language tracks are usually in standard DD, so it makes sense that you can get those to work.

As long as you have S/PDIF passthrough on the DTS-HD track it will try and pass the DTS core over S/PDIF.

At this point your only option is to have it decode the DTS to 2-channel PCM (the most that S/PDIF can support).

Do either you guys who have DD only receivers have multi-channel analog inputs? If for some reason you do, you should really use that instead, it gets you every audio format that way.
post #727 of 6915 Old 06-27-2009, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I have been experimenting with the std and custom settings. Setting the custing settings to center is NOT the same as the std setting! The std setting actually crushes whites! Setting it to custom makes it better. I used several test discs to verify this. BOTH modes also crush blacks somewhat. So that leaves the std setting as useless. The best settings I found were in custom mode with contrast at 24 and brightness at 26. This setting puts the black level where it should be and also stops the white crush.

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
post #728 of 6915 Old 06-28-2009, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

I just spent my entire weekend (loser) testing my LG390 against my other players. Panny bd30, Denon 2910,Toshiba XA2). All were calibrated with either AVSHD or Avia II calibration disks. All viewed with hdmi out connected to Onkyo 906 receiver set to pass thru and finally to the Pioneer well calibrated Kuro 151 tv. For blu-ray, the LG simply looked smoother and with more pop than the Panny. I concentrated mostly on SD performance for the remainder of the weekend. After exhausting ,non scientific tests for many ,many hours the LG was the clear winner all around. I observed many movies (to include criterion and superbit movies) and video concert disks. Along the way, I learned that my Toshiba will force 24p. It was interesting watching std def at 24fps. Anyway, I rank the players as follows.

1. LG... for clarity, detail, rich colors and smooth pans( for not being dvd 24p capable.)
2. Toshiba... (Reon based). Clean,rich colors but slightly muted. somewhat soft image compared to the LG. Smooth 24p panning.
3. Denon...close to the Toshiba, but slightly noisier,muted image.
4. Panasonic...rich colors ,but the noisiest of them all. Panned scenes also were slightly more choppy than the other players.

Last weekend, I had compared the LG to my Pioneer Elite 05. It is now boxed up and getting ready to sell. It would have been rated #2 ,slightly ahead of the reon based Toshiba and #2 for Blu-ray image ahead of the Panny.

I am keeping the LG.

post #729 of 6915 Old 06-28-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randello54 View Post

I see there is a new update for the BD390. Does anyone know that bug fixes it corrects??

Yes, I updated, but don't see any change. I'm really pretty happy with my 390.
post #730 of 6915 Old 06-29-2009, 08:43 AM

Got the 390 this weekend and LOVE it. Even on a 32" LCD, the improvement over upscaled DVD's is very noticeable. But I have a fairly minor issue and have a question.

First, I only have one MKV to test My Media feature, a Planet Earth episode I downloaded and which plays fine in HD on my computer. But, it won't play on the 390. I am not too concerned about that particular movie, but I do want to make sure it will play MKV's correctly. Any thoughts?

Second, my HD video camera records in MOV (which is very frustrating), so I need to convert them. What would be the best format/codec to convert them to for use on the 390 and what would be the best program to make that process fast and painless?

Thanks!

I keep my huge Blu-ray collection stored at Netflix. :0)
post #731 of 6915 Old 06-29-2009, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi59 View Post

I have been experimenting with the std and custom settings. Setting the custing settings to center is NOT the same as the std setting! The std setting actually crushes whites! Setting it to custom makes it better. I used several test discs to verify this. BOTH modes also crush blacks somewhat. So that leaves the std setting as useless. The best settings I found were in custom mode with contrast at 24 and brightness at 26. This setting puts the black level where it should be and also stops the white crush.

I'll try that, thanks. I was too busy enjoying this player and watching movies to mess around with the custom feature, mine is still set to standard.

I changed HDMI cables. No lip sync now going from amp's HDMI out to display's HMDI input. There still is an issue going directly from the BD390 right to my Samsung LCD via HDMI however. I'm forgetting about it as I'll just watch and continue to enjoy the other way connecting it.

I'm not returning this player!

I do need to ask though if you ever tried any on the Denon BD players though since you feel the BD390 is the best!
post #732 of 6915 Old 06-29-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance14 View Post

First, I only have one MKV to test My Media feature, a Planet Earth episode I downloaded and which plays fine in HD on my computer. But, it won't play on the 390. I am not too concerned about that particular movie, but I do want to make sure it will play MKV's correctly. Any thoughts?

As for the first question, the 390 has played every MKV that I've thrown at it flawlessly from both USB and data disc.

If you have a chance please test some DIVX avi files and tell us if you notice any sync delay between video and sound. Some of us (including me) are noticing this consistently with DIVX type files. What build date is your unit?
post #733 of 6915 Old 06-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone had lip sync issues with the netflix streaming?

It only happens on some movies. I have a nice cable connection and usually quality is about the upper 3/4 filled.

One time I was able to stop it and let it re buffer but this movie would not sync up.

I'm now Neutral
-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #734 of 6915 Old 06-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

I'll try that, thanks. I was too busy enjoying this player and watching movies to mess around with the custom feature, mine is still set to standard.

I changed HDMI cables. No lip sync now going from amp's HDMI out to display's HMDI input. There still is an issue going directly from the BD390 right to my Samsung LCD via HDMI however. I'm forgetting about it as I'll just watch and continue to enjoy the other way connecting it.

I'm not returning this player!

I do need to ask though if you ever tried any on the Denon BD players though since you feel the BD390 is the best!

I have not tried Denon BD, It is my understanding though that they are based on the Panny Uniphier chips set. This should make them very similar to Panny HDMI performance. I have tested Pannys. The LG is better to my eyes. Analog audio on the Denons are better I'm sure.

post #735 of 6915 Old 06-29-2009, 01:03 PM

Hi all, I bought a 390 this past weekend. Got it at Fry's (bricks and mortar) for a great price - they were having one of their unadvertised sales on them. So far, I love it. Initially, I couldn't get it to connect to my wireless network using WEP until I upgraded the firmware in my 7-month-old Netgear router. But now its working great. Watched X-Men, 5th Element and Blade Runner. Beautiful picture, completely flawless operation. Can't wait to watch more movies!

Thanks to all the people who posted comparative articles. I've been researching this for a few months, and it really helps to have head-to-head comparisons from real users.

-Reid
post #736 of 6915 Old 06-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid_T View Post

Hi all, I bought a 390 this past weekend. Got it at Fry's (bricks and mortar) for a great price - they were having one of their unadvertised sales on them. So far, I love it. Initially, I couldn't get it to connect to my wireless network using WEP until I upgraded the firmware in my 7-month-old Netgear router. But now its working great. Watched X-Men, 5th Element and Blade Runner. Beautiful picture, completely flawless operation. Can't wait to watch more movies!

Thanks to all the people who posted comparative articles. I've been researching this for a few months, and it really helps to have head-to-head comparisons from real users.

-Reid

Welcome aboard !

post #737 of 6915 Old 06-29-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid_T View Post

Watched X-Men, 5th Element and Blade Runner. Beautiful picture, completely flawless operation. Can't wait to watch more movies!
-Reid

First off, welcome. It really is a great Blu-Ray players, isn't it?

I do have a question for you. The Fifth Element you watched, was it the remastered version? If so did it have the extras from the DVD Ultimate disc?

Thanks.
post #738 of 6915 Old 06-29-2009, 01:30 PM

misterthingy, I will definitely check on the divx avi's. I have a few I can try. I am not sure what the problem is with the mkv, it is very odd.

post #739 of 6915 Old 06-29-2009, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by john18 View Post

First off, welcome. It really is a great Blu-Ray players, isn't it?

I do have a question for you. The Fifth Element you watched, was it the remastered version? If so did it have the extras from the DVD Ultimate disc?

Thanks.

I watched the remastered edition, its very nice indeed. The DVD Ultimate is much better when it comes to extras, the Blu-Ray sucks extra wise, BAD SONY, cheap Micky Fickies!

Mark S
post #740 of 6915 Old 06-29-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymythos View Post

Since I haven't bought a BD player yet, I don't know which titles show the angle icon. The only title I heard that does, is the "Star Trek The Original Series Season 1", whenever there's a special effects shot the angle icon supposedly appears so you can choose between the original FX and the new ones. Has anyone who owns this title experienced any problems?

I was watching an episode the other night on the 390 and this happened as well. I also had a problem with sound dropping out for 1-2 seconds after the angle icon popped off. I could hear the disc loading something after the icon and then the sound would drop off. I could rewind and watch the part again and the sound would be fine. It didn't happen all the time just sometimes, but once is bad enough. I am hoping they can address this issue of the sound dropoff and the angle button display in a future firmware update.
post #741 of 6915 Old 06-29-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Raber View Post

I was watching an episode the other night on the 390 and this happened as well. I also had a problem with sound dropping out for 1-2 seconds after the angle icon popped off. I could hear the disc loading something after the icon and then the sound would drop off. I could rewind and watch the part again and the sound would be fine. It didn't happen all the time just sometimes, but once is bad enough. I am hoping they can address this issue of the sound dropoff and the angle button display in a future firmware update.

Waiting for my 390 to arrive. On my Insignia NS-2BRDVD player, the angle icon worked the same. While playing the special effects version of an episode, the angle icon would pop up when new footage was shown. However, hitting the angle button didn't do anything.
post #742 of 6915 Old 06-29-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas206 View Post

Waiting for my 390 to arrive. On my Insignia NS-2BRDVD player, the angle icon worked the same. While playing the special effects version of an episode, the angle icon would pop up when new footage was shown. However, hitting the angle button didn't do anything.

I tried hitting the button on the 390 as well and didn't see it change either.

I wish I could just turn the angle button off. I am assuming that it may have something to do with the audio dropout I experienced. I watched Gran Turino the other night on the 390, and while there is no 2nd angle, I didn't experience any audio droput either.

Other than this issue I love this player. PQ is excellent. Load times are fantastic, the WiFi hookup works flawlessly, and I personally have not noticed any lip sync issues.

I have not updated the firmware yet since I read above a new one just came out. As of 10 days ago (when I got the player) I was up to date. I'll go down now and see if I can get that update and test it tomorrow.
post #743 of 6915 Old 06-30-2009, 08:39 AM

OK, I am getting frustrated now. I spent an hour on the telephone with two different, but equally ignorant, LG tech support members, then this morning another chunk of my time with a tech in chat (I will post the transcript in another post). Here is my problem:

The My Media will not play any videos at all. I have tried every format you can think of, including mpeg2, mp4, divx5, divx6, xvid, mkv, even ts avi's. All of these, other than the divx6 for some reason, played fine from a USB drive, but none will stream. The player sees the videos in their file (so Nero is gathering them and the router is sending them), but when I click on them, after a wait, it just says it can't play the file. Netflix and YouTube work great, so the connection is solid.

Which formats, exactly, are supposed to be able to stream (as opposed to play off a USB drive)? I am not sure I trust the owner's manual to get it right.

Could the problem be with Nero? Should I try different server software?

I have reset the unit, I have upgraded the software to the latest. I have a March 2009 build. I am supposed to be getting a label to mail it back for repair, but I am not sure whether it is actually the unit or not and everything else works fine.

What should I do?

post #744 of 6915 Old 06-30-2009, 08:53 AM

BTW, here is the chat transcript I mentioned in the post above:

Bria: Hello mcalister. Welcome to LG Electronics! How may I provide you with excellent service today?
mcalister: Hello, I am having trouble streaming movies from my computer onto my bd390. They will play off of a USB drive, but the same movies, with a variety of formats, won't stream. The player sees them, but then says they can't be played.
Bria: I would like to please place you on a brief hold while I research that for you, will that be alright?
mcalister: sure
Bria: Thank you for holding. Are you using a wireless router? Have you check the router settings
mcalister: the router settings seem OK since the Netflix works great. and the movies can be seen in their files.
Bria: Ok. I will need to see if I can get more information. Can you hold?
mcalister: yes
Bria: Thank you for holding. I have been informed alot of formats are not supported by the nero media home. The supported formats are mpg, mpeg
mcalister: OK, does that include MPEG4, since I have a couple of those and they are not playing.
Bria: Correct
mcalister: OK, so there is still a problem since the MP4s won't play. What is the exact list of formats, because the manual lists more than just MPEG.
Bria: I can only advise per the manual
mcalister: OK, here is what I would like, then. Please have someone who really knows this device and what it can do and have them email me at -------------------
Bria: Your information will be documented
mcalister: Will someone be able to email me later today?
Bria: I am not certain
mcalister: But what you are saying is that the BD390 should be able to stream MPEG4 over the media streamer, correct? And if it is not doing that, what should I do?
Bria: I apologize for any confusion. The MPEG4 is high definition and it's different. The supported formats are listed in the manual
Bria: You can also call 1-800-243-0000 for verbal assistance
mcalister: I tried the phone twice and they had no idea what I was talking about.
mcalister: OK, the supported formats also include Divx and it won't play divx streaming either.
Bria: I will email our BD specialists for more information
mcalister: Can you just have him email me at that address?
Bria: I can request he or she to email you if not I will email the response
mcalister: Terrific, but it would be better if I could communicate with them directly. One more thing. The PDF spec sheet on the website lists formats not in the manual, like MP4 and MKV. It should be made very clear that those will only play off of a USB drive if they will not stream.
Bria: Thank you for the feedback
Bria: I will submit this chat session to our BD specialists for a resolution
mcalister: I will look forward to an email then, thanks.
Bria: Ok. You are welcome

post #745 of 6915 Old 06-30-2009, 08:57 AM

Hello,
Anyone with Sony HT-CT100 sound bar connected to BD 390...what's the best setting (BD 390--->sony HT-CT100--->Samsung LN40B550)...how is the sound quality...any lipsync issues?

Thanks
post #746 of 6915 Old 06-30-2009, 09:54 AM

Vance, someone else may well have better and more specific information, but I think there were some issues in the March builds that seems to have been rectified on newer builds. Can you perhaps get an exchange?
post #747 of 6915 Old 06-30-2009, 10:03 AM

Ah, that is interesting. I will check with Best Buy and see what they have to say. Thanks!

post #748 of 6915 Old 06-30-2009, 10:05 AM

Hello everyone.. im looking forward to buy this LG BD390 ... however i hardly can find any website that can ship it internationally at an affordable price, it wud be great if someone can point me certain websites that offer this player to be ship internationally, thanks..
post #749 of 6915 Old 06-30-2009, 10:48 AM

I just got an email from LG support:

"Dear Customer,

I have received information regarding your previous live chat inquiry. Per our BD specialists we are only licensed with Nero to play mpg files through the Nero media home."

Is this right, we can only stream mpeg's through the Nero Home Server?

post #750 of 6915 Old 06-30-2009, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance14 View Post

Is this right, we can only stream mpeg's through the Nero Home Server?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post16716709

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd 370 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page