Forum Jump: 

post #781 of 6916 Old 07-02-2009, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakki View Post

-Does MKV playback support (from DVD or USB) support DTS HD, DD HD or DTS MA? I think not but some clarification would be good about this.

And I'm in Europe so I'm buying the European version, not the US one which has limited/none MKV support.

I'm not sure that it supports any HD audio in MKV, but you should be aware that you can't use NTFS or any other >4GB per file format system in USB, it just supports FAT and FAT32 (which is worse than nothing)... In DVD you can burn as UDF format and thus support >4GB...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 6916 Old 07-02-2009, 04:55 PM

I just got a NTFS drive to attach via USB, having read here that it supports NTFS. I will be trying it out tonight, so I will confirm this.

I keep my huge Blu-ray collection stored at Netflix. :0)
post #783 of 6916 Old 07-02-2009, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
but if you watch a bluray and pause it and it shuts off I dont think it starts from the sot you left off in like a regular dvd. I am still going thru all the features and plan on doing netflix soon. Will post up what I think after I play some more discs.
post #784 of 6916 Old 07-02-2009, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

For Canadian folks, I got confirmation from Future Shop that they should be receiving the BD390C in a couple of weeks.

Please feel free to visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or follow my NEWS feed on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #785 of 6916 Old 07-02-2009, 06:33 PM

i loaded up mediahome 4 to my computer and it wont pick up the BD390 at all. Restarted server and player. Why give software if it wont work. Any free media servers that i can stream music and photos and maybe has hulu on it. I havetried playon and like it but it does not play my music well.
post #786 of 6916 Old 07-02-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxje View Post

I saw no lipsync problems

What month is your build date? If you have a chance can you test your player with divx .avi files?
post #787 of 6916 Old 07-02-2009, 07:47 PM

My 390 just doesn't seem to put out any Bass signal out. The subwoofer hardly gets a signal from any blu-rays I play. The testing feature in the 7.1 setup produces some bass sound, so I know it is not a connection problem. Anyone else having this issue ?

Jim

Rent this space ! cheap
post #788 of 6916 Old 07-02-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:

I used it only tonight with 1 Blu Ray (Commando), and it's real hot! I suggest leaving enough air room. But it is 32 degrees (Celsius here), that does not help.

It's a blue ring when you play a blu ray, red ring when you play DVD. You cannot turn it off.

I saw no lipsync problems

What about when playing MKV or MP3 etc from usb/dvd/cd? How is the ring then?

Thanks for your input!
post #789 of 6916 Old 07-02-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_a_j View Post

I'm not sure that it supports any HD audio in MKV, but you should be aware that you can't use NTFS or any other >4GB per file format system in USB, it just supports FAT and FAT32 (which is worse than nothing)... In DVD you can burn as UDF format and thus support >4GB...

Yeah, I'm aware that there is no NTFS support.
Those MKV movies can be stripped to pieces (below 4GB), that is one work around.

Didn't know tough about the UDF support. Thanks.
post #790 of 6916 Old 07-02-2009, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

n_a_j commented:
> you should be aware that you can't use NTFS or any other >4GB per file format system in USB, it just supports FAT and FAT32 <<br />
That's true for the BD370, but not for the BD390. Direct from page 26 of the Manual...
Quote:

This player supports USB flash memory/external HDD formatted in
FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS when accessing files (music, photo, movie).
However, for BD-Live, only FAT16 and FAT32 formats are supported.

- Tim

- Tim
post #791 of 6916 Old 07-03-2009, 12:33 AM

Tonight I will test divx playback via USB, I'll watch for lipsync issues and the ring Anyone have any info about the failing update? I have contacted LG as well, let's see how good their support is.
post #792 of 6916 Old 07-03-2009, 04:03 AM

any one else having trouble with nero home media not seeing the BD390. Mine still wont see it. Any media server suggestions for streaming music ,photos etc
post #793 of 6916 Old 07-03-2009, 07:18 AM

Picked mine up on the way home from work yesterday, so far very impressed. Had to re-calibrate to find decent results, settings are quite different from PS3 on my set. Tried Dark Knight, FireFly, I, Robot and streamed several HD episodes of The Office and overall very impressed. Wish the audio section had more options as I would like to shut off HDMI audio (TOSLink out to my amp, HDMI to TV) but that is a small nag.

Couple tips if they haven't already been mentioned... If you have a D-Link DIR-655 you need to flash the firmware or you'll never get to Youtube (network congestion error) or firmware updates. And if you have a Logitech Harmony be sure to add the Home button to a custom button up top, makes life much easier.

Overall very nice player with excellent picture quality streaming Netflix is a nice bonus. I'm not much of a gamer any more so I hate having game consoles all over my entertainment system to get the content I want, this player solves the problem.

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool. -Lester Bangs
post #794 of 6916 Old 07-03-2009, 08:12 AM

E mailed LG and they say player will shut off if no signal for a while. I guess the home screen means no signal. Have had on and off success with streaming from computer. Was using playon but could not get music to work. Tried the home media again and it works now although spotty on some things. Is there a way to stream without having the computer on all the time
post #795 of 6916 Old 07-03-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew64 View Post

E mailed LG and they say player will shut off if no signal for a while. I guess the home screen means no signal. Have had on and off success with streaming from computer. Was using playon but could not get music to work. Tried the home media again and it works now although spotty on some things. Is there a way to stream without having the computer on all the time

Only if you have a NAS device to host your files, otherwise the computer must be on.

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool. -Lester Bangs
post #796 of 6916 Old 07-03-2009, 10:58 AM

does anyone know if you can stream the starz live channel from the BD390 using the netflix trial.
post #797 of 6916 Old 07-03-2009, 12:52 PM

WTF?!

In THIS Hong Kong page it states 370 supports NTFS?!

Why doesn't my European one support? Is there any way to flash another firmware that adds NTFS to my unit?

Thanks for any answer. I'm getting more and more disgusted with LG...
post #798 of 6916 Old 07-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Has anyone figured out how to turn on the function button lights? Play,pause,stop,etc do have lights (they come on for a few seconds when u turn off the player) but that is the only time they come on! What's the point? I do not see an option to turn the lights on. I would rather leave them off, but it would be nice if I had a choice.

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
post #799 of 6916 Old 07-03-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi59 View Post

Has anyone figured out how to turn on the function button lights? Play,pause,stop,etc do have lights (they come on for a few seconds when u turn off the player) but that is the only time they come on! What's the point? I do not see an option to turn the lights on. I would rather leave them off, but it would be nice if I had a choice.

I'd like to know this too.

post #800 of 6916 Old 07-03-2009, 04:46 PM

I activated the netflix and was watching a cartoon my daughter wanted. I noticed the sound only came out of mt TV speakers not the stereo which it is hooked up via HDMI and out via HDMI. Yet on the blu ray movie sound comes out speakers. Could it be the type of show or bad HDMI handshake
post #801 of 6916 Old 07-03-2009, 05:49 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by neworbuser View Post

I just bought BD390 largely due to its wireless+Netflix support. It was easy to setup and use but I am having problems with some Netlfix streamed movies (e.g., all PBS documentaries I have tried so far).

Now if I change the resolution to Auto (or 480p) and aspect ratio to 4:3 letterbox, I see the complete picture in a letterbox mode (black bars on top/bottom). LG support is horrible and they dont have much clue. I am figuring out whether to return the player. The only other option is the Samsung 3600 whose reviews have been consistently bad w.r.t. usability and wireless.

I don't know if it's related to what you have seen, but I have noticed that the aspect ratio of certain Netflix 16:9 Starz Play titles is wrong on my BD370. (For example: 88 Minutes and The Spanish Prisoner) When the player is set to 16:9 original they are shown 4:3 pillarboxed and squeezed. When set to 4:3 letterbox they are shown squeezed. I emailed them about the problem a few months ago after I picked up the player. Of course they blew me off and assumed I was an idiot and didn't have the proper resolution and aspect ratio set. I just left it at that but the bug remains.

I'm thinking about perhaps trying to contact Netflix since they might have an in with LG to get this issue fixed. LG's level one support isn't worth dealing with as far as I can tell, though I just sent them another more detailed email about it which I'm sure is a waste of time.
post #802 of 6916 Old 07-03-2009, 08:12 PM

Just picked up a 390, so far looks really good even on SD. however; i can't get the Ext. HD to show up! I have a 200G with video files on it that USB doesn't pick up. I am able to stream the videos and all other files via Nero. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric
post #803 of 6916 Old 07-03-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan_little View Post

I don't know if it's related to what you have seen, but I have noticed that the aspect ratio of certain Netflix 16:9 Starz Play titles is wrong on my BD370. (For example: 88 Minutes and The Spanish Prisoner) When the player is set to 16:9 original they are shown 4:3 pillarboxed and squeezed. When set to 4:3 letterbox they are shown squeezed. I emailed them about the problem a few months ago after I picked up the player. Of course they blew me off and assumed I was an idiot and didn't have the proper resolution and aspect ratio set. I just left it at that but the bug remains.

I'm thinking about perhaps trying to contact Netflix since they might have an in with LG to get this issue fixed. LG's level one support isn't worth dealing with as far as I can tell, though I just sent them another more detailed email about it which I'm sure is a waste of time.

Try setting the 390s TV Aspect Ratio to 16:9 Original. I had the same problem but with MKV files. Setting to 16:9 Original fixed the issue.

Mark S
post #804 of 6916 Old 07-03-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motospark View Post

Try setting the 390s TV Aspect Ratio to 16:9 Original. I had the same problem but with MKV files. Setting to 16:9 Original fixed the issue.

It is already set to 16:9 original and I see the same problem.

jonathan_little: I have spent time with LG level 1/2 support but they claim that they cannot reproduce the problem! I think they are lying. I have exchanged the BD390 for a new one but the problem persists. You can easily see that the PBS logo is being chopped off vertically in "The Atom Smashers". Netflix support claims it is a LG problem. I dont want to return the player as the competition Samsung P3600 is probably worse (bas wireless reviews, no DLNA).
Perhaps if enough folks raise hell with Netflix and LG, they would listen..

Currently the only way to get the correct picture is to guess whether 480p/4:3 or 720p/16:9 will work and try..
post #805 of 6916 Old 07-04-2009, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_a_j View Post

I have a 16GB USB drive NTFS formated playing a 8.7GB MKV file as we speak.

BD390 w/ latest firmware.

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Liaison at SpectraCal
post #806 of 6916 Old 07-04-2009, 03:14 PM

Well have had this player for a few days and so far so good. Played regular DVD and it looked better than my pioneer recorder I have. Bluray looks great. Signed up for netflix and have streamed a few TV episodes without a problem and they look pretty good. Have tried to network to my computer and have had on and off issues with videos playing or music which I attribute to the software not the player. No lip sync issues with movies, streaming or you tube. Updated to latest firmware when I got player. LG support is really bad as I did speak with them about a network issue when I first was setting it up. I find more answers on the forums.

One question. My Pioneer will accept a 1080P signal even though 720P set. Does this mean when I am watching a blu ray movie it is does converting the signal. When I check the info on the screen it says 1080P. Other than that like the player and will keep trying out other aspects. Hopefully LG will add more features by firmware and not just come out with a new player.
post #807 of 6916 Old 07-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by neworbuser View Post

It is already set to 16:9 original and I see the same problem.

jonathan_little: I have spent time with LG level 1/2 support but they claim that they cannot reproduce the problem! I think they are lying. I have exchanged the BD390 for a new one but the problem persists. You can easily see that the PBS logo is being chopped off vertically in "The Atom Smashers". Netflix support claims it is a LG problem. I dont want to return the player as the competition Samsung P3600 is probably worse (bas wireless reviews, no DLNA).
Perhaps if enough folks raise hell with Netflix and LG, they would listen..

Currently the only way to get the correct picture is to guess whether 480p/4:3 or 720p/16:9 will work and try..

I noticed the same problem a while back, but this only happened with HD content streamed from Netflix. My understanding is that when your signal is not strong enough, it is degraded to a lower resolution, and unfortunately a squeezed aspect ratio. I noticed that if I turned off my computer while streaming HD movies, my router could get a stronger signal, and the LG would display the full resolution with proper aspect ratio. Try this and see if it helps.
post #808 of 6916 Old 07-04-2009, 08:27 PM

Ditto, same here. Same thing happens with mine, so I usually turn off my computer when watching Nexflix. Even then, it will sometimes changes if I'm getting a stronger or weaker signal. It always lets me know before it decides to change though.
post #809 of 6916 Old 07-04-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:

Tonight I will test divx playback via USB, I'll watch for lipsync issues and the ring Anyone have any info about the failing update? I have contacted LG as well, let's see how good their support is.

The ring was red yesterday (but there was a DVD in the tray). For some reason the firmware now did update correctly, but only after the player itself notified me.
post #810 of 6916 Old 07-04-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightrope View Post

I noticed the same problem a while back, but this only happened with HD content streamed from Netflix. My understanding is that when your signal is not strong enough, it is degraded to a lower resolution, and unfortunately a squeezed aspect ratio. I noticed that if I turned off my computer while streaming HD movies, my router could get a stronger signal, and the LG would display the full resolution with proper aspect ratio. Try this and see if it helps.

This is not an issue with internet speed. These documentaries are regular (non-HD) streams and I get 4+ bars. It would be very helpful if any of you having a 720p TV can try "The Atom Smashers" PBS documentary to see if it is something peculiar to my setup.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd 370 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page