BD370/390 LG Blu-ray player Master/Owners thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 6915 Old 07-21-2009, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't know anything about all this home theater stuff .. just got my first flat screen.
I just picked up a brand new out of box bd390 from bestbuy for $200 out the door.. good deal? I thought it was and jumped on it. I was going to get an all in one HTIB from LG but I figured I would get this player and buy separate components.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 6915 Old 07-21-2009, 11:06 AM

Yes, that is a very good deal if there are no problems with it. And, it will form a good base to build up a system. First thing to do is calibrate the TV, and these forums are great for that. Just search for your TV model number and calibration and you can get some setting options to start off with.

I keep my huge Blu-ray collection stored at Netflix. :0)
post #993 of 6915 Old 07-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_W73 View Post

Does anyone have any info on this??

Manual, p.45
post #994 of 6915 Old 07-21-2009, 02:22 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I don't know anything about all this home theater stuff .. just got my first flat screen.
I just picked up a brand new out of box bd390 from bestbuy for $200 out the door.. good deal? I thought it was and jumped on it. I was going to get an all in one HTIB from LG but I figured I would get this player and buy separate components.

how did you get it for $200?
it was an open box or display model?
post #995 of 6915 Old 07-21-2009, 02:33 PM

open box.. brand new though never used.. all remote and manuals and everything. The guy at bestbuy knew what happened with the unit. Guy bought it.. returned it a couple hours later complaining he didn't get an hdmi cable with it. He didn't want it cause it didn't come with the cable and best buy wouldn't give him one for free. Maybe something else is up with it.. I haven't tried it out yet. just got it yesterday. They said it still has the 1 year lg warranty and I can return it if there is something wrong with it.
It looks brand spanking new though.
post #996 of 6915 Old 07-21-2009, 03:23 PM

Sounds like you really lucked out! Use the savings for a Harmony remote! :0)

post #997 of 6915 Old 07-21-2009, 03:35 PM

I'm already way over the $500 to $600 I wanted to spend on my simple, not an audiophile system. Which harmony to get??
post #998 of 6915 Old 07-21-2009, 03:50 PM

Ha, I know how you feel. I also don't have any surround set up yet, which I will have to save up for.

I have a Harmony 670, but everyone seems to prefer different versions. The software is the same for all of them, and since that is really the core usefulness, the model would just be what form-factor you like and what type of screen you would like. I preferred the "peanut" shape of the 670, and I did not need a more advanced screen, so the price of the 670 was appealing.

post #999 of 6915 Old 07-21-2009, 04:05 PM

I would like something that is most similar to our dish network remote.. the 670 looks like it is close-ish.
post #1000 of 6915 Old 07-21-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:

I would like something that is most similar to our dish network remote.. the 670 looks like it is close-ish.

The whole concept is great, with one button, it turns on the tv, then the bluray player and changes the TV input to "HDMI1" and I am ready to go! Same for TV watching and my kids game play (although it does not support the Wii, so they have to turn that on manually).

I know that you can only buy so much at a time, but I put a Harmony high on my list and used some Best Buy "reward" points to help defray the expense.

post #1001 of 6915 Old 07-21-2009, 04:45 PM

Someone posted on 7/7 that they had lip sync issues before a firmware update but did not have them afterwards. I'm skeptical at believing this. I originally purchased the BD390 and have since returned it, along with 2 TVs, 2 cable STBs, 3 other blu-ray players, and various cables. I've finally got a TV that's a keeper, the Samsung PN58B860.

I'm considering going back to the BD390 and hoping the lip sync issue has been corrected by a firmware update in the last 45 days or so. Has anyone else here experienced a firmware update actually solving the lip sync problem?
post #1002 of 6915 Old 07-21-2009, 05:14 PM

All- I enjoy reading through these forums and I appreciate all the help provided. Although I can't contribute much (unfortunately), I think this is very cool forum.

Here is my question if someone would be kind enough to help. I'm looking for the most efficient way to hook up and run my BD390.

I have cable tv & cable internet. Cable currently runs from the wall to my HD-DVR, then via HDMI to my LCD tv. My first priority (outside of cable pic quality) is using Netflix. I use a Mac and have wireless internet (reliable). Note: I also have and occasionally use paralells and run Wndows XP.

What is the best way to hook up my system?

Based on contributions to this forum, I would say hook up Blu-Ray to LCD and use a wireless router to Blu Ray for WiFi. However, since I have cable internet, does it make sense to hard-wire (via a splitter of some sort) the cable wire directly into the BD390 to get a better connection? Or is this even possible?

I'm open for anything, if it includes buying a specialized HD/DVR receiver that would work better, or whatever.

Thanks again for the help-
post #1003 of 6915 Old 07-21-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryauch View Post

However, since I have cable internet, does it make sense to hard-wire (via a splitter of some sort) the cable wire directly into the BD390 to get a better connection?

Huh?

Skipping the modem will not get you Netflix. You need to somehow get that after the modem has done its thing. You can do it wirelessly, you can do it via hard-wired ethernet or you can use the fairly new Powerline adapters that use you house electrical wiring to act as your hard-wired ethernet cable.
post #1004 of 6915 Old 07-21-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMTBerserker View Post

Someone posted on 7/7 that they had lip sync issues before a firmware update but did not have them afterwards. I'm skeptical at believing this.

I'm considering going back to the BD390 and hoping the lip sync issue has been corrected by a firmware update in the last 45 days or so. Has anyone else here experienced a firmware update actually solving the lip sync problem?

Same here. I believe there was a firmware update last week. Would appreciate if someone could check to see if lip sync problems with avi files have been fixed.
post #1005 of 6915 Old 07-22-2009, 04:33 AM

Quote:

It has to be the usb power.. Use the powercord that came with the drive or one that is as short as possible. I tried to use a differnt cord with my wd passport with my car radio and it would turn on the drive but it would not provide enough power for it to be recognized by the radio..
I'm looking to by a drive just to store video for my player. I will get an external powered just to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance14 View Post

I use a drive that gets its power from the USB (FreeAgent), but it plays fine. I was having the same problem when I switched to a different cord, one that was black, purely for aesthetic reasons. It was a smaller gauge cord and it would disconnect intermittently. When I switched back to the better cord it came with, it did fine.

Thanks a lot ...you were right, it was the power cord
I used a very short cord (about 7 inch) that came with my camera and it worked - I just watched 30 minutes of video uninturrupted.

Before posting my issue on avs I called LG and they asked me to ship the unit to the service center.
I really appreciate every one for all the trouble shooting you are providing through this forum and being so resourceful.
post #1006 of 6915 Old 07-22-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanalcho View Post

Thanks a lot ...you were right, it was the power cord
I used a very short cord (about 7 inch) that came with my camera and it worked - I just watched 30 minutes of video uninturrupted.

Before posting my issue on avs I called LG and they asked me to ship the unit to the service center.
I really appreciate every one for all the trouble shooting you are providing through this forum and being so resourceful.

I have found LG service to be pretty weak. I was having a problem with the player seeing my home media, but not being able to play them. The tech said that must be a problem with the player and wanted me to send it back as well, even sent me an return label! I kept checking and it turned out to be the Nero software.

post #1007 of 6915 Old 07-22-2009, 09:49 AM

Hello all, new here to the forums, just spent about 3 hours reading most of the posts in here. I just got my BD370 last night (that I paid an incredible $60 for!!!)

I have a Vizio 1080P plasma that I got last November at Sams Club. I think its the VP504F

My "receiver" is, well, lacking its an RVC HTIB from over 5 years ago, So it has no HDMI, S/PDIF, TOSLINK or anything, just 1 set of stereo RCA plugs

I am looking for a low end receiver that I could use with my new Blu-Ray player. Would like it to be under $300. I'm not a purest, I would just like to experience better then 2 channel audio on my new player.

I also run a DirecTV HD Receiver so it would be nice if it had more then 1 HDMI input.

I like Crutchfield and Best Buy for my electronic purchases, but I am not married to them, so I can play the field. Don't care for Sony components. I saw the Denon AVR-1609 at Crutchfield and would like to know if it will do the job for me.

There are 10 receivers under $300 at Crutchfield, would any of them do a decent job, as I said, I'm not looking to be blown away.

What does it mean in the receiver specs when it says: "1080p-compatible HDMI digital video switching (3 in, 1 out) — pass-through only (a separate cable connection is required for audio)"

Thanks in advance for all your help.

I'd love to post the links, but since I am new it will not let me.

Bob
post #1008 of 6915 Old 07-22-2009, 09:51 AM

Just thought you would all like to know that Robert Heron, HD guru for PC Mag, and now co-host of Revision3's HD Nation, just picked the BD390 as the best bluray player.

post #1009 of 6915 Old 07-22-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyerb View Post

Hello all, new here to the forums, just spent about 3 hours reading most of the posts in here. I just got my BD370 last night (that I paid an incredible $60 for!!!)

I have a Vizio 1080P plasma that I got last November at Sams Club. I think its the VP504F

My "receiver" is, well, lacking its an RVC HTIB from over 5 years ago, So it has no HDMI, S/PDIF, TOSLINK or anything, just 1 set of stereo RCA plugs

I am looking for a low end receiver that I could use with my new Blu-Ray player. Would like it to be under $300. I'm not a purest, I would just like to experience better then 2 channel audio on my new player.

I also run a DirecTV HD Receiver so it would be nice if it had more then 1 HDMI input.

I like Crutchfield and Best Buy for my electronic purchases, but I am not married to them, so I can play the field. Don't care for Sony components. I saw the Denon AVR-1609 at Crutchfield and would like to know if it will do the job for me.

There are 10 receivers under $300 at Crutchfield, would any of them do a decent job, as I said, I'm not looking to be blown away.

What does it mean in the receiver specs when it says: "1080p-compatible HDMI digital video switching (3 in, 1 out) — pass-through only (a separate cable connection is required for audio)"

Thanks in advance for all your help.

I'd love to post the links, but since I am new it will not let me.

Bob

I'm brand new to all this but learning products and terms quickly. I'm going for the onkyo 6100 or 7100. Seems like that is the most future proof systme out there for the money.. has true 7.1.. the 6100 is a bit more than you want to spend but you can get it for $530. That is with the speakers and sub. If you just need the receiver you can get the tx-sr506 open box for 199 from tigerdirect.. or new for 300 or so.. you can get the tx-sr606 with sirius capability and zone2 for $320 refurbished.

as far as
"1080p-compatible HDMI digital video switching (3 in, 1 out)

means it has 3 hdmi video inputs and 1 output (to tv)

pass-through only (a separate cable connection is required for audio)"
means you need an hdmi for video and a toslink optical or rca jack for audio from each device. The unit will not carry audio and video over the one HDMI cable. Not sure if this is bad or one is any better. I know the onkyo 6100 and 7100 both have this feature which I like. Can connect my system with 3 hdmi in and 1 out and be done.

by the way.. nice score on the bd370.. maybe a better deal than my bd390
post #1010 of 6915 Old 07-22-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyerb View Post

What does it mean in the receiver specs when it says: "1080p-compatible HDMI digital video switching (3 in, 1 out) pass-through only (a separate cable connection is required for audio)"

The only one on that list at crutchfield I'd consider is the Sony STR-DH700. The other receivers do not process audio over HDMI, meaning you will have to run a separate optical/coax digital cable for sound, and you won't be able to take advantage of the high resolution audio that is on blu-ray. The Sony, won't decode the high resolution sound either, but it will accept LPCM over HDMI, so you can have your player decode the audio and take advantage of it.

Personally I'd spend just slightly more and try to get something that can decode the advanced formats and has 7.1 channels. You can probably find a Denon AVR1909 or an Onkyo TX-SR606 on closeout or refurbished in the $300-$400 range.
post #1011 of 6915 Old 07-22-2009, 10:36 AM

I just watched watchmen blu ray directors cut last night on my bd390 and about 4-5 times in the movie the audio skipped, in one case the video slowed down, there were lip sync issues all of a sudden, and i had to either pause the movie, or scan back to re-sync the video/audio back up. Has anyone else noticed this? Very frustrating. I'm going to try and return the disc in exchange for another, but i'm leaning towards the bd390 at fault here.
post #1012 of 6915 Old 07-22-2009, 11:34 AM

In my case no sync issues with mkv or standard dvd (I never tried blu-ray) but sync problems from the get-go with all divx-type avi files, some a lot more than others. These files sync just fine on my 3-year old phillips player. I really hope LG addresses this.
post #1013 of 6915 Old 07-22-2009, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Ground View Post

I just watched watchmen blu ray directors cut last night on my bd390 and about 4-5 times in the movie the audio skipped, in one case the video slowed down, there were lip sync issues all of a sudden, and i had to either pause the movie, or scan back to re-sync the video/audio back up. Has anyone else noticed this? Very frustrating. I'm going to try and return the disc in exchange for another, but i'm leaning towards the bd390 at fault here.

Saw the same thing myself. Weird! Happend 4-5 times. Biggest one was when they were (no spoiler) burying one of the main characters, as they're putting the casket in the ground. Pic stopped (like a layer change) for a couple of seconds. Restarted. My AVR (Pio Elite SC 05...which has never had an HDMI handshake problem, or synch problem....ever) relocked onto the next scene. Audio's all out of whack. Eventually had to restart the scene to get the audio to synch up again. Happened 3 other times from that scene forward.

Taking the LG390 back to BB (less than a week old with the latest FW).

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #1014 of 6915 Old 07-22-2009, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I heard a commercial on Pandora about an LG player supporting Pandora playback but can't see anything on either the LG or Pandora site about this. Do either of these players support Pandora playback? Thanks.
post #1015 of 6915 Old 07-22-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

Saw the same thing myself. Weird! Happend 4-5 times. Biggest one was when they were (no spoiler) burying one of the main characters, as they're putting the casket in the ground. Pic stopped (like a layer change) for a couple of seconds. Restarted. My AVR (Pio Elite SC 05...which has never had an HDMI handshake problem, or synch problem....ever) relocked onto the next scene. Audio's all out of whack. Eventually had to restart the scene to get the audio to synch up again. Happened 3 other times from that scene forward.

you don't think it might be a disc issue if the same movie had problems on both your players.
post #1016 of 6915 Old 07-22-2009, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

you don't think it might be a disc issue if the same movie had problems on both your players.

Watchmen played perfectly on my JVC and Denon 2500.
post #1017 of 6915 Old 07-22-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

I had the same thing happen with the new Watchmen BD. Pausing it or rewinding back fixed the syncing. It happened 4 times or so. I have only watched a few movies on my 390, but I never had any problem before this.

I am not going to return my unit though. A future F/W update may fix it. I'm just glad I'm not alone.
post #1018 of 6915 Old 07-22-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbaldwin View Post

I heard a commercial on Pandora about an LG player supporting Pandora playback but can't see anything on either the LG or Pandora site about this. Do either of these players support Pandora playback? Thanks.

looks like the lhb953 HTIB has pandora.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...033&CatId=3419

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882005046

Maybe LG will be nice and add it to the bd370 and bd390 stand alone players.
post #1019 of 6915 Old 07-22-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance14 View Post

Just thought you would all like to know that Robert Heron, HD guru for PC Mag, and now co-host of Revision3's HD Nation, just picked the BD390 as the best bluray player.

Do you have a link to his review ?
post #1020 of 6915 Old 07-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Ground View Post

It happened to me, too.

When problems like these occur, how is LG informed so that they issue a firmware upgrade?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd 370 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page