Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 6915 Old 08-17-2009, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSandler View Post

I like that idea. I'm going to try that tonight. I'm also having an audio issue with my Yamaha receiver (from my original post), and on another forum, the feedback I'm getting is that there might be an issue with the receiver in that respect. It would seem that the audio and video issues are not related, but I wonder if in some strange way that they are.

That worked. The BD390 works fine using YCbCr when connected direct to the Samsung. So either I have the RX-V3900 receiver set incorrectly, or I have a bad receiver.

I've been through every setting on the receiver and still cannot make it function properly, both in regard to this color issue, and also in regard to getting the receiver to decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. I'm assuming that setting HDMI Audio Out to Primary Pass-Thru on the BD390 is LG's way of saying Bitstream. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 6915 Old 08-17-2009, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That worked. The BD390 works fine using YCbCr when connected direct to the Samsung. So either I have the RX-V3900 receiver set incorrectly, or I have a bad receiver.

I've been through every setting on the receiver and still cannot make it function properly, both in regard to this color issue, and also in regard to getting the receiver to decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. I'm assuming that setting HDMI Audio Out to Primary Pass-Thru on the BD390 is LG's way of saying Bitstream. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Primary Pass-Thru is correct. Don't know if you're having audio issues similar to mine, but check my post on the previous page. I have a Yammy RX-V465. Good luck! Btw, for me, some Dolby TrueHD disks work properly, some do not. However, all DTS-MA titles do not work properly. Since my other 3 players, including an LG BH200 all work properly with my Yammy, I have pin the blame on the LG 370 at this time.

Mike T

My BDP-05FD, still going strong and still my favorite player!

post #1443 of 6915 Old 08-17-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenbrook View Post

Well I finally bought a BD-390 today. I went to HH Gregg's and they had it on sale for $299. They ended up selling it to me for $249.99! Got it home and it had trouble powering up. After starting up for a few minutes and never getting anywhere I powered it off by removing the power cord. Now it won't power on at all! I have even tried a few of the jacks on my Monster 2600 surge protector and nothing worked. Called LG support and they had me disconnect the power cable and hold in the power button for 30 seconds. I had already done that prior to the call but humored them anyways. Still nothing. Called HH Gregg back and they will have another one for me to pick up tomorrow! I hope the new one works without any issues.

Well I went and returned the unit today. Hooked the new one up and all is well. It did take a bit to configure it to work with my router, Linksys 610N. Once I chose the option to have it automatically look for the router and have the router look for it (sorry can't remember what it's called) it hooked right up. But not matter what I did before that it would see the wireless connection but it wouldn't connect. I even turned off security to see if that would help, no luck. Probably something on the router wasn't making it work as the 390 saw the network and saw it as WPA encryption. Once the 390 was looking for the router and you hit the "connect" button on the router it hooked up instantly. I can now surf Youtube and I have my Netflix account hooked up as well. Only watched "Seven Pounds" on a regular DVD and everything was fine. I need to get a new receiver and I'm sold on the Denon AVR-1910. It should be in house within a month if my business doesn't totally tank! Right now my 10+ year old Yamaha is handling everything just fine. I bought this one as CNET had it rated highly and it was a smoking deal at $250.
post #1444 of 6915 Old 08-17-2009, 10:55 PM

Anyone care to comment on Cnet's review of the BD-370? Do you really think it has worse picture quality than the other players in it's class?

The bad:
Competitors offer better image quality on Blu-ray and DVD; no Wi-Fi option.
post #1445 of 6915 Old 08-18-2009, 12:49 PM

Posted this in another thread, but felt it was more appropriate for this thread (I hope).

Alright, this adds confusion to my purchase query.
I already own the original Ps3 60GB, but I want to buy a separate BD system just to play movies. I was about to buy the LG BD 390 because people say it's one of the best out there.
So my question for anyone that has it: is the picture better than the one Ps3 produces, enough buy it over $299 Ps3?
Thanks in advance.
post #1446 of 6915 Old 08-18-2009, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuteboxe View Post

So my question for anyone that has it: is the picture better than the one Ps3 produces, enough buy it over $299 Ps3?

The answer is yes and no. For starters if your display is less than 60 inches or so I think any differences are very small. I have a 61 inch set and they are very hard to see. I also have a projector with a 110 inch image and it's much easier.

My theory is the PS3 puts out an extremely neutral image such that there is little or no post processing. Some stand alone players (even at default settings) post process the image to a desired look while others tend to leave it as is. Here are a few examples I captured from my projector. The first one is from the Pioneer and the second OPPO. Pioneer allows you tweak the contrast levels which gives the image a little more pop or perceived detail. Look at his ear, watch and the lady in the background. They aren't any sharper but they appear to be as the contrast level has been increased which tricks the eye. You can do similar with the BG390 via its Dynamic Contrast setting.

I look at such adjustments as correcting a display's weakness in this case low ANSI contrast. If my projector performed better it would have an ANSI contrast in the 700s versus the 500s so I don't believe I'm destroying the native or intended image rather the adjustments are helping the projector display what was intended.

The PS3 doesn't offer these image adjustments which many would never use although if you wish to take advantage of them the BG390 (among others) will give you the option.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #1447 of 6915 Old 08-18-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

The answer is yes and no. For starters if your display is less than 60 inches or so I think any differences are very small. I have a 61 inch set and they are very hard to see. I also have a projector with a 110 inch image and it's much easier.

My theory is the PS3 puts out an extremely neutral image such that there is little or no post processing. Some stand alone players (even at default settings) post process the image to a desired look while others tend to leave it as is. Here are a few examples I captured from my projector. The first one is from the Pioneer and the second OPPO. Pioneer allows you tweak the contrast levels which gives the image a little more pop or perceived detail. Look at his ear, watch and the lady in the background. They aren't any sharper but they appear to be as the contrast level has been increased which tricks the eye. You can do similar with the BG390 via its Dynamic Contrast setting.

I look at such adjustments as correcting a display's weakness in this case low ANSI contrast. If my projector performed better it would have an ANSI contrast in the 700s versus the 500s so I don't believe I'm destroying the native or intended image rather the adjustments are helping the projector display what was intended.

The PS3 doesn't offer these image adjustments which many would never use although if you wish to take advantage of them the BG390 (among others) will give you the option.

I'm using a Samsung lnA650, 52.
If the difference is very hard to see at that size, safe bet seems to be Ps3 (if I'm understanding everything you said correctly).
And thanks a bunch for the explanation.
post #1448 of 6915 Old 08-18-2009, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Anybody else having issues streaming over the wire with DTS? I'm using Tversity and I have been testing files with DTS audio which work fine on the PS3 but on the BD390, the playback stops. I tried all the audio adjustments but no avail. I would hate having to re-encode so hopefully there is a fix for me.
post #1449 of 6915 Old 08-18-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-tee View Post

Primary Pass-Thru is correct. Don't know if you're having audio issues similar to mine, but check my post on the previous page. I have a Yammy RX-V465. Good luck! Btw, for me, some Dolby TrueHD disks work properly, some do not. However, all DTS-MA titles do not work properly. Since my other 3 players, including an LG BH200 all work properly with my Yammy, I have pin the blame on the LG 370 at this time.

Mike T

Everyone I've spoken to now agrees that the RX-V3900 might not be functioning properly. I brought home another RX-V3900 today and will hook it up shortly. I'm convinced that the BD390 is working fine.
post #1450 of 6915 Old 08-18-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvervulcan View Post

But you cant listen to Dolby Tru HD using an optical cable, so it seems pointless to do that if you don't get lossless audio, which is why ive hooked it up using the multi channel analog inputs.

Tru HD is only output through the HDMI cable. The analog cables will output which ever audio you select from the BD and the player will decode it, so for best analog performance select the uncompressed audio or the Tru/Master HD lossless audio and the player will process it and send it out to the analog channels.

My main point was that the output will be at a lower level than what you are used to with an optical cable and the bass will need a 10dB bump up. You will need to turn up the volume if using analog that is what it do.
post #1451 of 6915 Old 08-18-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:

Everyone I've spoken to now agrees that the RX-V3900 might not be functioning properly. I brought home another RX-V3900 today and will hook it up shortly. I'm convinced that the BD390 is working fine.

My RX-V3900 replacememt decodes HD audio properly. But the color issue still exists. When the BD390 is in HDMI color mode of YCbCr, I get a pink image on the Samsung when the signal is fed through the RX-V3900. When a direct connection is made from the BD390 to the Samsung, the image looks fine.
post #1452 of 6915 Old 08-19-2009, 06:57 AM

There will be a new s/w release for the BD390 which adds the feature CIFS, this will be under the My Media menu. Should be released in a week or two.

Life is Good
post #1453 of 6915 Old 08-19-2009, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsungmaster View Post

There will be a new s/w release for the BD390 which adds the feature CIFS, this will be under the My Media menu. Should be released in a week or two.

What is CIFS? Will there be any other additional improvements/additions with the FW?
post #1454 of 6915 Old 08-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

I assume it is CIFS/SMB which will allow you to stream from Windows file shares. Interesting.
post #1455 of 6915 Old 08-19-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

What is CIFS? Will there be any other additional improvements/additions with the FW?

See post above, no improvements that I know of.

Life is Good
post #1456 of 6915 Old 08-20-2009, 08:10 AM

CIFS/SMB support means you can share a directory on your Windows/Linux machine and then play files in that directory from your LG player. If true and LG fully implements the latest CIFS protocol, it means there will be no 4GB size limit on files and you won't have to install any media sharing applications to share files, you just right-click the folder and go to Properties, Sharing (in Windows). If we are lucky, it will support password protected sharing as well as public sharing.
post #1457 of 6915 Old 08-20-2009, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

There hasn't been a file limit on the BD390 anyway since it accepts NTFS but yes, essentially you will not need a DLNA media server running on the pc to sync with and go straight to the file system. I have never tried it this way since I figure CIFS is more chatty and therefore slower for streaming but I could be very wrong.

So anyone else having problems streaming files with DTS audio?
post #1458 of 6915 Old 08-20-2009, 11:59 AM

Hello, I would like to buy the 390 (it will be my first BD player, disregarding my brother's noisy and power hungry PS3) but I am really interested in its DLNA feature.
I have a Qnap NAS server running Twonky with some 12000 songs (most of them pure wav-pcm) and it's working great in the PS3 DLNA.
Does anyone else have any experince with BD390 and Twonky media server?
post #1459 of 6915 Old 08-20-2009, 03:17 PM

I'm considering this player to replace a Sony S550. Really interested in the streaming options (Netflix and DLNA). The manual mentions a 2,000 folder/file limit. Is this correct? I know that I have more than 2,000 media files. Does it just not even display more than 2,000 files even if they are in sub-folders?
post #1460 of 6915 Old 08-20-2009, 10:22 PM

Hi all,

I am quite a noob in AV stuff. I have a LG BD370 BD player. Using LG 37-inch full HD tv. And my receiver is Onkyo TS-SR304 (pretty basis i think- no HDMI input/output, only has normal DD5.1 and DTS).

Currently my BD player is connected to my TV via HDMI (for picture). But sound goes through optical cable to my receiver. It is the same connection for my PS3, Xbox and HD-DVD player.

Question 1 is- the BD player has DD True HD. With my current receiver, will I be able to listen to DD True HD?

Question 2- should I use DTS re-encode? Noted it is supposed to encode in DTS format and i am not sure what happens if I play a blue-ray with DD format.

Question 3- Should i set DRC (Dynamic Rate Compression) to on or off?

My receiver only has DTS and DD 5.1. But BD player can encode DD true HD. Am pretty confused.

Can anyone help me?? Thanks!
post #1461 of 6915 Old 08-20-2009, 11:15 PM

Hello,

i hope someone can help me please.

I have problems to play .MKV files with Tversity over the LG BD-390.
All other files like .mpg and .avi are working.

Does someone has a step-by-step manual how to configure Tversity ?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards
Metin
post #1462 of 6915 Old 08-21-2009, 03:56 AM

I plan to purchase both the BD390 and a wireless router today -- can someone recommend a specific router that works well with this Blu-ray player?
post #1463 of 6915 Old 08-21-2009, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecurbw View Post

Question 1 is- the BD player has DD True HD. With my current receiver, will I be able to listen to DD True HD?

Question 2- should I use DTS re-encode? Noted it is supposed to encode in DTS format and i am not sure what happens if I play a blue-ray with DD format.

Question 3- Should i set DRC (Dynamic Rate Compression) to on or off

1. No - Unless you use analog.
2. Yes - The player will encode all formats to DTS.
3. Off - On compresses the dynamic range.

| 
|
|
|
post #1464 of 6915 Old 08-21-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docjay1 View Post

I plan to purchase both the BD390 and a wireless router today -- can someone recommend a specific router that works well with this Blu-ray player?

Hello Metin!

For a long time, mkv was not supported over the network, you needed to have it attached via USB. They updated the firmware to support mkv over streaming I believe (I just still use an attached USB drive), so you may just need to update your firmware. If there is still a problem, it might be that the mkv support over the network is limited to the server software somehow.

Keep in mind that there is a rumor that we will be getting a firmware update that will allow for the My Media to "see" files "shared" over your network even without server software. I am not sure how well this will work, but this would be another solution for you to try.

Lastly, you might just consider what I do. I bought a 500GB Free Agent drive and put a bunch of movies, pictures and music on it. It is small and light and does not need separate power and I never have to worry about network issues. It loads fast and clean and runs huge (7+ GB) files perfectly.

I keep my huge Blu-ray collection stored at Netflix. :0)
post #1465 of 6915 Old 08-21-2009, 08:37 AM

Funny story: I "acquired" all six Star Wars movies in HD for my son to watch. I told him they were ready and he was home watching a Star Wars marathon while I was at work. I came home and noticed that it was not in the original format, but stretched!! I checked the settings and realized that I had not switched it to "original" and it was set to "full screen". I then saw that he was on the last movie and that he had watched all of them that way! I felt horrible, but he did not seem to know the difference or really care. Lesson learned.

I keep my huge Blu-ray collection stored at Netflix. :0)
post #1466 of 6915 Old 08-21-2009, 02:46 PM

anyone know what the crossover is set to for the analogue outs on the BD390? according to the manual you cant set your own crossover level, this player is coming to the UK in the next month or so and i am seriously considering buying this little beauty, by the way the BD390 just got voted by EISA as the best value blu ray player in europe !!!
post #1467 of 6915 Old 08-21-2009, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmos View Post

anyone know what the crossover is set to for the analogue outs on the BD390? according to the manual you cant set your own crossover level, this player is coming to the UK in the next month or so and i am seriously considering buying this little beauty, by the way the BD390 just got voted by EISA as the best value blu ray player in europe !!!

Good question.... and the only delay options are (positioning) Low, Middle, and High... I'm really bummed about the lack of delay settings

I'm also bummed that the readout cannot be shut off or dimmed. I'm considering opening my unit up and discounting the read out. Way too bright and archaic looking.

post #1468 of 6915 Old 08-21-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docjay1 View Post

I have it hooked up wireless to my time capsule. It connected first try!

Signature 141
post #1469 of 6915 Old 08-21-2009, 10:55 PM

I just got the LG 390... Seems to work really well.

I've only tried one blu-ray disc (Batman Begins) and looked good... Will try a few others this weekend. Also I used a USB Drive to play back a .mkv in 720p... Looked really good.

I have a Sammy LN52A750 for my TV and a Denon 3808ci for my receiver. It's all hooked up via HDMI. Two questions (pretty noobish ones)

1. Can I delete a file on my USB drive via the LG BD390 or do I have to reconnect it to my computer and delete the file/folder from there?

2. I have audio set to pass through on the LG BD390 and let the Denon handle the audio... Will True HD audio work that way? (or should I ask in the 3808 thread?)

Thanks...
post #1470 of 6915 Old 08-22-2009, 12:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96ygp View Post

I have problems to play .MKV files with Tversity over the LG BD-390.
All other files like .mpg and .avi are working.

Are the mkv files playing at all or not???...if they are playing but with problems, this may be due to bad AVC encoding used on video inside the mkv - it needs to be hardware compliant to work on LG..

while at that, has anyone bothered to try to establish what is the h.264 reference frame limit of the BD390???? it is low on BD370 i.e. strictly conforms to h.264 specs, so 4 reframes at 1080p is maximum...
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd 370 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page