post #1591 of 6915 Old 08-29-2009, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thijsnl View Post

I guess it will work...

i tried putting LG_BD_370M.ROM on my USB flashdrive and when i put it in my BD370 it got detected with the right version.

Then i tried putting the LG_BD_400M.ROM file on my USB flash drive, but nothing happened.

Then i renamed the LG_BD_400M.ROM to LG_BD_370M.ROM, and guess what.. it got detected and with the right version..The filesize of these ROM files are identical.

Another intresting thing..( i dont know if iam allowed to post this here?? else mods can remove the next part)

As you can see there is written 'BD-400 4Layer' near the MT8520 core.
Would this suggest that the 370,390 and 400 are using the same motherboard? Iam not sure of that because the ROM files of the 390 are bigger (about twice the size). Besides, the 390 got wireless LAN and 1GB flash/hdd

If someone know what chip is used in the BD-390 player, it may worth a try
to find out, go to the 'setup' of the BD-390 with no disc inserted, go to Setup Aspect Ratio, press 1397139 on your remote and then press the enter key. This will show you all kind of information about your player! (i must warn that this resets your player, so settings like video/audio/network needs to configured again)

Regards,

Thijs

The BD300, 370, 390 all use the same motherboard. If you look at the board there are places where there are no parts, this means the board is used for other models. For the 390 the wireless lan is built on the front control board not on the motherboard.

Life is Good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 6915 Old 08-29-2009, 06:09 PM

The Powerline adapters are great. I don't seem to have any noise and of the four adapters that I have the slowest tends to run 90 MBps and the others 180+. I haven't noticed any problems whatsoever and we have moved HD content over the lines with no degradation.

The one downside is they aren't cheap. However they also don't need attic climbing, snaking cables, or holes in the wall.
post #1593 of 6915 Old 08-29-2009, 07:15 PM

I just finished watching Watchmen (Blu-ray) on my 390. Unlike a lot of posters here, I didn't see any audio/video syncing issues that were described. I have the latest firmware installed on my machine, so it may have been resolved. I have a very simple setup, though, with a single HDMI cable running from my 390 directly to my TV for both audio and video.

Can anybody else test this and confirm whether they are still seeing problems?
post #1594 of 6915 Old 08-29-2009, 11:29 PM

My Canon camera seems to produce movies in .avi format and the 390 does not want to play these. Is there some way to play them on the 390? Thanks
post #1595 of 6915 Old 08-30-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john18 View Post

The Powerline adapters are great. I don't seem to have any noise and of the four adapters that I have the slowest tends to run 90 MBps and the others 180+. I haven't noticed any problems whatsoever and we have moved HD content over the lines with no degradation.

The one downside is they aren't cheap. However they also don't need attic climbing, snaking cables, or holes in the wall.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.
post #1596 of 6915 Old 08-30-2009, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

A firmware update was released for the 390.

I got it through the software update from the menu.

I seemed to have fixed the Watchmen issues.

Blurays: 115
HD-DVD: 12- YES I will be keeping them so I can own a piece of history
post #1597 of 6915 Old 08-30-2009, 07:48 AM

I can play .mp4 and .avi streaming from Nero, but .mkv gives me 'video codec not supported' message. .mkv is not a codec, so i don't really know what the issue is. Nero seems to identify and index the .mkv file ok. This file is simply from makemkv made from a normal dvd, mpeg-2 files i think. Anybody already gone through this?
post #1598 of 6915 Old 08-30-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMOTHY-BRYAN View Post

I can play .mp4 and .avi streaming from Nero, but .mkv gives me 'video codec not supported' message. .mkv is not a codec, so i don't really know what the issue is. Nero seems to identify and index the .mkv file ok. This file is simply from makemkv made from a normal dvd, mpeg-2 files i think. Anybody already gone through this?

I assume you're talking about the 390. The latest firmware will let you stream from your PC without using Nero. Have you tried that? Also, try playing your mkv files off a USB drive and see if that works. The only problem I've had is that mkv files with muxed subtitles don't show the subs when streamed but will work if played from a USB drive. Subs will work when streaming (95% of the time) if you have a separate .srt file for the mkv.
post #1599 of 6915 Old 08-30-2009, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick97 View Post

A firmware update was released for the 390.

I got it through the software update from the menu.

I seemed to have fixed the Watchmen issues.

Another update? We just got one like 2 weeks ago. Awesome.
post #1600 of 6915 Old 08-30-2009, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
No update for me showing...maybe you just never updated from the last time?
post #1601 of 6915 Old 08-30-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMOTHY-BRYAN View Post

On a BD390 -- with the latest firmware -- although I get a warning "" This movie may not play correctly "" -- I have 12 .mkv movies on the PC hardrive , they all play perfectly on the TV.

I am not using Nero nor TVersity to share over my wireless network.

post #1602 of 6915 Old 08-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

I usually get that warning with subbed videos and the subs do not show.
post #1603 of 6915 Old 08-30-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiga6360 View Post

I usually get that warning with subbed videos and the subs do not show.

glad to see am not alone -- this player is awesome !

For those looking for firmware ; the latest is :-

Driver Version: H42301
S.W.: BD.8.08.498.B

Have a great day !
post #1604 of 6915 Old 08-30-2009, 03:02 PM

Liked: 11
ps3 costs only $300 dollars now. but BD390 is still over $300.

i am not really into games, but as far as i have heard ps3 is still one of the best blu ray players out there if not the best.

so can someone tell me why i should go for 390 rather than the ps3? i know 390 is arguably the best blu ray player out in the market, but what can it do that the ps3 can't? i am mainly concerned about what kinds of video formats each of these 2 players support along with other stuffs.

thank you
post #1605 of 6915 Old 08-30-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isrararrafi View Post

so can someone tell me why i should go for 390 rather than the ps3? i know 390 is arguably the best blu ray player out in the market, but what can it do that the ps3 can't? i am mainly concerned about what kinds of video formats each of these 2 players support along with other stuffs.

The PS3 is a very good Blu-ray player, and is still arguably the best one available. However, there were a few drawbacks to it that led me to want another player. The first was lack of Netflix. I *really* like having the ability to stream Netflix movies. Of course, you could get other devices that stream Netflix, but I don't want too many devices in the vicinity -- it just gets too cluttered. The others reasons are due to me just being too OCD: 1.) The lack of a front display on the PS3 annoyed me. 2.) I do use my PS3 for games, and I don't like it when games autostart when you put the disc in. So, I disabled the autostart functionality. My wife, however, wants the movie to start playing the moment she puts the disc in.

The other annoyance that I know a lot of people have with the PS3 is that it doesn't support IR remotes. If you use a universal remote, you'll have to buy a device translates Bluetooth remote commands into infrared. I don't have a universal remote, so this was a non-issue for me.
post #1606 of 6915 Old 08-30-2009, 03:55 PM

so i tried playing a couple mkv files today. I must say i was pretty impressed with the quality. to bad the 370 does support ntfs as buying dvd-r is going to be expensive unless you burn wit dvd-rw's. only having the 370c for 2 days has made me fall in love with this player. my wife ;oves the utube feature. if lg would just send out a firmware supporting ntfs and to allow me to stream from my pc to the player.

later
post #1607 of 6915 Old 08-30-2009, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by satafterh View Post

. if lg would just send out a firmware supporting ntfs and to allow me to stream from my pc to the player.

later

well, you should have got a bd390
post #1608 of 6915 Old 08-30-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewellgm View Post

I just finished watching Watchmen (Blu-ray) on my 390. Unlike a lot of posters here, I didn't see any audio/video syncing issues that were described. I have the latest firmware installed on my machine, so it may have been resolved. I have a very simple setup, though, with a single HDMI cable running from my 390 directly to my TV for both audio and video.

Can anybody else test this and confirm whether they are still seeing problems?

I suspect you didn't encounter any issues because the player is not decoding the DTS-MA track since you are connected directly to your TV. Most of us that have issues with Watchmen have the issue because of the MA track.
post #1609 of 6915 Old 08-30-2009, 05:33 PM
z1z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit View Post

I have been doing a lot of research on which BD player to buy and decided on the LG BD390. However, I noticed that most people using this BD player wirelessly are using an "N" speed wireless router. I have a "G" wireless router. I think it should be fine because it transmits at 54 mbps which is considerably faster than my internet connection but thought I would ask.

Any one using the BD390 with a "G" network? Does it work ok?

Does anyone have an answer to the original question, which is whether the 390 with work with a "G" router? I am looking to install this player in a residence with only "G", and I would prefer to avoid replacing the router also, as I doing this is a favor and want to avoid additional work...
post #1610 of 6915 Old 08-30-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z1z View Post

Does anyone have an answer to the original question, which is whether the 390 with work with a "G" router? I am looking to install this player in a residence with only "G", and I would prefer to avoid replacing the router also, as I doing this is a favor and want to avoid additional work...

Yes, it connects to a G router. The uTube stuff works fine. I haven't tried streaming HD content, but I would expect problems. G just doesn't have enough bandwidth.
post #1611 of 6915 Old 08-30-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post

well, you should have got a bd390

I would have excect you cant get on in Canada.
post #1612 of 6915 Old 08-30-2009, 06:54 PM

I've had the 390 for a few months and love it. I use it primarily for Blue Ray / DVD / and Netflix (direct Ethernet connection). I watched a show earlier today on Netflix just fine. I went to watch a show tonight and my player says it can't activate to Netflix. I played a Youtube video to check connectivity. I deactivated and tried to reactivate the player to Netflix but it says it can't activate and to call LG. Anyone else have this problem?
post #1613 of 6915 Old 08-30-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satafterh View Post

I would have excect you cant get on in Canada.

It is available in Canada if you use http://www.shopbot.ca/ just type in LG BD390 and click Find It -- I got mine in Ontario , no TVQ and free shipping to Qu├ębec City.

Have a great evening !
post #1614 of 6915 Old 08-30-2009, 07:15 PM

@ jewellgm

thanks for the reply. got just one more question.

i know the bd390 is able to play movies in avi and mkv formats. i have loads of movies that are in these formats. i was wondering if the ps3 can play these kinds of files too.
post #1615 of 6915 Old 08-30-2009, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewellgm View Post

The PS3 is a very good Blu-ray player, and is still arguably the best one available. However, there were a few drawbacks to it that led me to want another player. The first was lack of Netflix. I *really* like having the ability to stream Netflix movies. Of course, you could get other devices that stream Netflix, but I don't want too many devices in the vicinity -- it just gets too cluttered. The others reasons are due to me just being too OCD: 1.) The lack of a front display on the PS3 annoyed me. 2.) I do use my PS3 for games, and I don't like it when games autostart when you put the disc in. So, I disabled the autostart functionality. My wife, however, wants the movie to start playing the moment she puts the disc in.

The other annoyance that I know a lot of people have with the PS3 is that it doesn't support IR remotes. If you use a universal remote, you'll have to buy a device translates Bluetooth remote commands into infrared. I don't have a universal remote, so this was a non-issue for me.

I will add better media server functionality because of NTFS, MKV and finally CIFS.
post #1616 of 6915 Old 08-30-2009, 07:36 PM

Can't seem to get the wifi download to work.

Has anyone tried updating via USB? Any luck and is the firmware available as a download to put on a USB drive.
post #1617 of 6915 Old 08-30-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidawha View Post

Has anyone figured out how to make the BD390 region-free for DVDs? I've searched a ton for a hack, but I haven't found anything.

Since I noticed there are a bunch of eBay listings advertising "Multi Zone Region Code Free" BD390s for $500, I just was Googling around the web for hacks today.

I found some -- but have not tried them. They all involve downloading and burning a small magic kpjc19_1.dvd file to a CD-ROM in ISO 9660 format and closing the disc. As you will see, the file has to be in a sub-folder named "\\RMTM0000\\SCARLET".

This one is for the BD370, but I'm guessing it will work for the BD390 just as well.

This one is specifically for the BD390, but appears to be the exact same approach. The instructions one of the posters provided for using a backdoor key sequence on the remote do not work on my BD390.

I also found a mysteriously sparse web site devoted to "region 0 hacking" just about every DVD player known or made. Follow the manufacturer links for LG and then you'll see links for all LG DVD players. According to this site, the hack for BD370 and BD390 are the same (which makes sense because they're essentially the same player/motherboard).

Of course, as some successful hackers have noted, the hack only applies to DVD regions and not Blu-Ray regions. It also will not magically add PAL playback capabilities. Apparently the North American BD390 is an NTSC-only machine.
post #1618 of 6915 Old 08-30-2009, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by z1z View Post

Does anyone have an answer to the original question, which is whether the 390 with work with a "G" router?

It will (b/g/n).
post #1619 of 6915 Old 08-30-2009, 09:38 PM

I have used this BD370 Blu-Ray player with about 10 Blu-rays so far, I have the Netflix blu-ray plan and just today I got the newly released Sunshine Cleaning Blu-ray and no matter what every time I try play it when it gets to around 39 minutes it will freeze for about a minute and resume at around 45 minutes in, the rest of the movie plays fine. Playing this Blu-ray with my hp business laptop with Power Dvd 9 does not have this problem. The disc looks fine with no scratches at all and brand new its probably only been viewed a once or twice as it was just released about a week ago.

Does this sort of thing happen with a lot of movies? Has anyone else observed any problems like this with other Blu-ray movies?
post #1620 of 6915 Old 08-30-2009, 09:59 PM

I ended up buying the LG BD370 (EU) some time ago.
I haven't used it a lot, yet, but I was wondering one thing.

When I set output to 1080p, Ybcbr and 24Hz how does the player's logic go?
I mean that if I put DVD to it, which has 50Hz Pal system, does it automatically change output to 50Hz?
It seemed so (on a one disc I tried at least), I checked it from my LG 42" TV.

How it goes to BD then? Some discs have 50Hz and some 24Hz, does the player change between these depending on the media type?

I have the 7.something firmware, I checked yesterday that there isn't a newer one available.

Thanks for replies.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd 370 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page