post #1621 of 6916 Old 08-30-2009, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dil727 View Post

I have used this BD370 Blu-Ray player with about 10 Blu-rays so far, I have the Netflix blu-ray plan and just today I got the newly released Sunshine Cleaning Blu-ray and no matter what every time I try play it when it gets to around 39 minutes it will freeze for about a minute and resume at around 45 minutes in, the rest of the movie plays fine. Playing this Blu-ray with my hp business laptop with Power Dvd 9 does not have this problem. The disc looks fine with no scratches at all and brand new its probably only been viewed a once or twice as it was just released about a week ago.

Does this sort of thing happen with a lot of movies? Has anyone else observed any problems like this with other Blu-ray movies?

Sunshine played fine on my BD390.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 6916 Old 08-30-2009, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by isrararrafi View Post

ps3 costs only $300 dollars now. but BD390 is still over $300.

i am not really into games, but as far as i have heard ps3 is still one of the best blu ray players out there if not the best.

so can someone tell me why i should go for 390 rather than the ps3? i know 390 is arguably the best blu ray player out in the market, but what can it do that the ps3 can't? i am mainly concerned about what kinds of video formats each of these 2 players support along with other stuffs.

thank you

You can find lg 390 for less then 300$ with tax and shipping included
post #1623 of 6916 Old 08-31-2009, 12:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakki View Post

How it goes to BD then? Some discs have 50Hz and some 24Hz, does the player change between these depending on the media type?

Thanks for replies.

It is smart enough to assume it cannot playback 50Hz video at 24Hz...so even if you keep it on 24Hz constantly, it will revert to 50/60Hz if 50/60Hz interlaced video is on the BD disc...manual 50Hz selection (which is false labeling because it is 50/60Hz autoswitch) is meant for situations where you may not have a 24Hz capable TV (where 24Hz selection may render the no-picture situation)...

while at that, I haven't tested whether a 24p Divx would be output at 60Hz 3:2 pulldwon or 24Hz...anyone care to try this because I don't have a 24Hz TV (tested BD at 24Hz when I had one for a limited time for reviewing)
post #1624 of 6916 Old 08-31-2009, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianbrandt View Post

Since I noticed there are a bunch of eBay listings advertising "Multi Zone Region Code Free" BD390s for $500, I just was Googling around the web for hacks today.

I found some -- but have not tried them. They all involve downloading and burning a small magic kpjc19_1.dvd file to a CD-ROM in ISO 9660 format and closing the disc. As you will see, the file has to be in a sub-folder named "\\RMTM0000\\SCARLET".

This one is for the BD370, but I'm guessing it will work for the BD390 just as well.

This one is specifically for the BD390, but appears to be the exact same approach. The instructions one of the posters provided for using a backdoor key sequence on the remote do not work on my BD390.

I also found a mysteriously sparse web site devoted to "region 0 hacking" just about every DVD player known or made. Follow the manufacturer links for LG and then you'll see links for all LG DVD players. According to this site, the hack for BD370 and BD390 are the same (which makes sense because they're essentially the same player/motherboard).

Of course, as some successful hackers have noted, the hack only applies to DVD regions and not Blu-Ray regions. It also will not magically add PAL playback capabilities. Apparently the North American BD390 is an NTSC-only machine.

Only to let you kwon that the BD390 is able to read PAL I even try it

take a look at the spec
http://ca.lge.com/en/products/model/..._bd390c.jhtml#

they is Dots
Quote:

Playable Disc Type
BD-ROM :●
BD-R :●
BD-RE :●
DVD(NTSC) :●
DVD(PAL) :●
DVD-R :●
DVD-RW(Video/VR Mode) :●
DVD+R :●
DVD+RW(Video mode) :●
DTS CD :●
Audio CD :●
CD-R/CD-RW :●
Video Format

post #1625 of 6916 Old 08-31-2009, 06:45 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zloglasni View Post

You can find lg 390 for less then 300$ with tax and shipping included

where can i find it for that price?
most places i check is $350 plus tax & shipping.
post #1626 of 6916 Old 08-31-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewaster View Post

Google Shopping is your friend...
post #1627 of 6916 Old 08-31-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewaster View Post

Did you check Here

Just type in LG BD390 and hit that button ! Many offers with tax included and free shipping.

post #1628 of 6916 Old 08-31-2009, 09:44 AM

Guys I would like to buy the BD390 but it is very important for me to play uncompressed wav audio (ripped cd audio wav files 16bit/44.1Khz) files over the network. I am using Twonky on a Nas server, but I have heard that with latest firmware you do not need media serving, you can simply browse the shared folders.

Please please somebody can try a wav file either with Twonky or with any other media server or in shared folder? (maybe in Twonky configuration page if the BD390 is recognised as Generic DLNA you might need to change to DLNA 1,5 or even try setting it as PS3)
post #1629 of 6916 Old 08-31-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotis_Greece View Post

Guys I would like to buy the BD390 but it is very important for me to play uncompressed wav audio (ripped cd audio wav files 16bit/44.1Khz) files over the network. I am using Twonky on a Nas server, but I have heard that with latest firmware you do not need media serving, you can simply browse the shared folders.

Please please somebody can try a wav file either with Twonky or with any other media server or in shared folder? (maybe in Twonky configuration page if the BD390 is recognised as Generic DLNA you might need to change to DLNA 1,5 or even try setting it as PS3)

The BD390 does not play all wave files.
Here are the specs :-

Music Files-
Sampling frequency:
within 8 - 48 kHz (WMA),
within 11 - 48 kHz (MP3),
within 44.1 and 48 kHz (LPCM)

Bit rate:
within 8 - 320 kbps (WMA, MP3),
within 768Kbps and 1.536Mbps (LPCM)

you can always convert to one of the above format your wave file.

post #1630 of 6916 Old 08-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssampath View Post

My Canon camera seems to produce movies in .avi format and the 390 does not want to play these. Is there some way to play them on the 390? Thanks

There are 2 ways:
- use media server which can transcode on the fly, e.g., TVersity or full version of Nero;
- use some software which can recode your movies in formats directly supported by 390; I'm pretty sure the software provided by Canon for your camera can do that, just select a proper codec.
post #1631 of 6916 Old 08-31-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanc1 View Post

The BD390 does not play all wave files.
Here are the specs :-

Music Files-
Sampling frequency:
within 8 - 48 kHz (WMA),
within 11 - 48 kHz (MP3),
within 44.1 and 48 kHz (LPCM)

Bit rate:
within 8 - 320 kbps (WMA, MP3),
within 768Kbps and 1.536Mbps (LPCM)

you can always convert to one of the above format your wave file.

Thanks for your reply, first of all I don't want to convert my precious lossless collection to any other format.
Second, in paper it supports .wav files but according to this user report it does not
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=16951#p80540
That's why I am trying to get another BD390 user to try.
Do you have this player? Could you try it?
post #1632 of 6916 Old 08-31-2009, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmon View Post

My buddies player worked flawlessly with my router and he encountered the same issues with my player and his router.

Try to reset the player.
All manufacturers suggest not to do firmware updates over wireless. That's maybe your case: update started but failed half-way. If your own reset won't help they might do it in service center. I haven't been able to find the actual firmware on their website , whereas everybody else has. In such case you could put it on USB flash.
post #1633 of 6916 Old 08-31-2009, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post

Try to reset the player.
All manufacturers suggest not to do firmware updates over wireless. That's maybe your case: update started but failed half-way. If your own reset won't help they might do it in service center. I haven't been able to find the actual firmware on their website , whereas everybody else has. In such case you could put it on USB flash.

Really? Is that why it isn't available for download. And good luck with trying to get customer support to mail you something. Anyway almost every player (probably 100%) perform a file verify before it updates... hence wireless itself has nothing to do with the actual firmware upgrade process. The LG firmware upgrade is in two parts... first the file download and then you are prompted for installation.
post #1634 of 6916 Old 08-31-2009, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Anyway almost every player (probably 100%) perform a file verify before it updates... hence wireless itself has nothing to do with the actual firmware upgrade process. The LG firmware upgrade is in two parts... first the file download and then you are prompted for installation.

Really? Everybody does 2-step process, nevertheless attached warnings from D-Link and Netgear. And they know about networking a thing or two.
LL
LL
post #1635 of 6916 Old 08-31-2009, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Really? Everybody does 2-step process, nevertheless attached warnings from D-Link and Netgear. And they know about networking a thing or two.

I think we are talking about Blu-ray players.
post #1636 of 6916 Old 08-31-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasador View Post

Only to let you know that the BD390 is able to read PAL I even try it

take a look at the spec
http://ca.lge.com/en/products/model/..._bd390c.jhtml#

Yes, but that's the LG Canada web site. The spec sheet and manual on the USA web site only mentions NTSC.
post #1637 of 6916 Old 08-31-2009, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit View Post

I have been doing a lot of research on which BD player to buy and decided on the LG BD390. However, I noticed that most people using this BD player wirelessly are using an "N" speed wireless router. I have a "G" wireless router. I think it should be fine because it transmits at 54 mbps which is considerably faster than my internet connection but thought I would ask.

Any one using the BD390 with a "G" network? Does it work ok?

I am currently using mine with a G router. But that's only because I can't figure out how to get the player to see the internet when connected to my Belkin N router. When I connect with my Linksys G router, everything works fine. Netflix looks good. I'd like to run N for streaming higher bitrate stuff from my network though.
post #1638 of 6916 Old 08-31-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:

Yes, but that's the LG Canada web site. The spec sheet and manual on the USA web site only mentions NTSC.

At least we have something that you don't because the Netflix and the cinemanow it's not available to us

Check this note
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post16698862
post #1639 of 6916 Old 08-31-2009, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:

There are 2 ways:
- use media server which can transcode on the fly, e.g., TVersity or full version of Nero;
- use some software which can recode your movies in formats directly supported by 390; I'm pretty sure the software provided by Canon for your camera can do that, just select a proper codec.

Just a thought, so as not to get a wrong idea...no player can play .avi from DV camcorders - they contain DV video which is not de-codable by DVD/blu-ray chips...a conversion is required, mpeg-2 comes to mind as the widest common format for all imaginable players...
post #1640 of 6916 Old 08-31-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:

Since I noticed there are a bunch of eBay listings advertising "Multi Zone Region Code Free" BD390s for $500, I just was Googling around the web for hacks today.

I found some -- but have not tried them. They all involve downloading and burning a small magic kpjc19_1.dvd file to a CD-ROM in ISO 9660 format and closing the disc. As you will see, the file has to be in a sub-folder named "\\RMTM0000\\SCARLET".

This one is for the BD370, but I'm guessing it will work for the BD390 just as well.

This one is specifically for the BD390, but appears to be the exact same approach. The instructions one of the posters provided for using a backdoor key sequence on the remote do not work on my BD390.

I also found a mysteriously sparse web site devoted to "region 0 hacking" just about every DVD player known or made. Follow the manufacturer links for LG and then you'll see links for all LG DVD players. According to this site, the hack for BD370 and BD390 are the same (which makes sense because they're essentially the same player/motherboard).

Of course, as some successful hackers have noted, the hack only applies to DVD regions and not Blu-Ray regions. It also will not magically add PAL playback capabilities. Apparently the North American BD390 is an NTSC-only machine.

I have actually tried multiple ways to make my BD390 region free (for once again viewing my good old UK DVDs here in the US), but so far have had no success. I believe, from Google'ing, the best shot is using the 6000.zip file and burning the directory structure and file you described, but I can't get it to work (even with a properly finalized, ISO9660, etc. disk).

From doing some more research I saw that a BD370 owner had to downgrade his/her firmware back to the original version it was shipped with to be able to boot the CD properly. It suggested that if you have upgraded your firmware over the network then the region-free hack would no longer work (although you could upgrade the firmware again "after" you had used the CD and the player would remain region free).

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this? If this is in fact true is there anyway to temporarily restore the original shipped firmware to be able to bring up the region menu using the CD?

I really think this is an awesome player and use it constantly, but I do miss my Oppo for the ease of switching DVD regions

Cheers
post #1641 of 6916 Old 08-31-2009, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post

no player can play .avi from DV camcorders - they contain DV video which is not de-codable by DVD/blu-ray chips...

I'd say in most cases it's true, but I can't vouch for every single player. Some manufacturers, at least some TVs, can play their own DV and, usually, advertise them as such.
Quote:

a conversion is required, mpeg-2 comes to mind as the widest common format for all imaginable players...

That's right: mpeg-2 is LCD, but in a context of 390 I'd use some mpeg4 as they are much smaller without sacrificing a quality.
post #1642 of 6916 Old 08-31-2009, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmon View Post

My buddies player worked flawlessly with my router and he encountered the same issues with my player and his router.

OK, I found where you can download the latest firmware and use USB to upgrade:
http://www.lge.com/us/support/produc...oduct-profile#
Try in combination with player's reset or without.
post #1643 of 6916 Old 08-31-2009, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think we are talking about Blu-ray players.

We're talking about a networking component of the player and it should be treated as such. As I already mentioned multiple times their DLNA implementation is subpar, I can't believe they got certified. Just because it's BD player as oppose to a router does not make its wireless upgrade more reliable.
post #1644 of 6916 Old 08-31-2009, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satafterh View Post

Well I got my BD370c today(Canada).
2. Can't share video files from my pc on my home network.

The decoding quality of video files is not as good as I am accustomed to

I apologize for my questions upfront but I really don't understand.
What file sharing has to do with the player?
Since when decoding has such a property as "quality"?
post #1645 of 6916 Old 08-31-2009, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

We're talking about a networking component of the player and it should be treated as such.

Actually we aren't at all. You are confusing how one acquires the firmware file with how it's installed.

1. The firmware file is obtained (doesn't matter how).
2. The file is verified as being valid (regardless of how it's obtained).
3. Firmware is upgraded via separate menu (process).

Quote:

Just because it's BD player as oppose to a router does not make its wireless upgrade more reliable.

There is no option to upgrade the firmware wirelessly. Only an option to obtain the file. The delivery method is not involved in the actual upgrade process at all.
post #1646 of 6916 Old 08-31-2009, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Actually we aren't at all. You are confusing how one acquires the firmware file with how it's installed.

1. The firmware file is obtained (doesn't matter how).
2. The file is verified as being valid (regardless of how it's obtained).
3. Firmware is upgraded via separate menu (process).

There is no option to upgrade the firmware wirelessly. Only an option to obtain the file. The delivery method is not involved in the actual upgrade process at all.

I'm not confusing anything with anything.
Router manufacturers use the same steps (internally, there maybe even more of them, e.g., 4. check CRC, 5. rollback if CRC failed.), but they warn not to use wireless connection to do firmware upgrade as a whole process and not individual steps.
post #1647 of 6916 Old 08-31-2009, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm not confusing anything with anything.
Router manufacturers use the same steps (internally, there maybe even more of them, e.g., 4. check CRC, 5. rollback if CRC failed.), but they warn not to use wireless connection to do firmware upgrade as a whole process and not individual steps.

Ok.. we are beating a dead horse and this is my last post on the lack of topic. However if would you like to explain how file A and B are different feel free.

A - downloaded via the player and verified.
B - downloaded via a computer and verified.
post #1648 of 6916 Old 08-31-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:

Ok.. we are beating a dead horse and this is my last post on the lack of topic. However if would you like to explain how file A and B are different feel free.

A - downloaded via the player and verified.
B - downloaded via a computer and verified.

The reason that router manufacturers don't like people to update their firmware "wirelessly" is because updating may erase your wireless settings. The update itself could perform flawlessly, but you may not be able to connect anymore. By having a wired connection to the router, you can manually fix any settings that were changed in the update process.

Regardless of how you obtain the firmware file, you will still be able to access the settings of your Blu-ray player through its normal user interface. So, even if the upgrade process horks your settings, you are still able to go in and change them manually without having to connect anything else to your player.
post #1649 of 6916 Old 08-31-2009, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by margolb View Post

Can't seem to get the wifi download to work.

Has anyone tried updating via USB? Any luck and is the firmware available as a download to put on a USB drive.

I'm not sure what player - 390 or 370 - you have , but here is a link to 390:

http://www.lge.com/us/support/produc...oduct-profile#
post #1650 of 6916 Old 08-31-2009, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerovb View Post

1. I have a BD390 and an Onkyo TX-SR604, which has hdmi inputs but cannot decode Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master, and speakers in a 6.1 configuration. For best results, what type of hookup should I use: analog/hdmi/optical/coax? What setting should the audio output be at in the 390's settings page?

For best audio results use analog 7.1 if your receiver has 7.1(6.1) inputs. In this case the player will decode those.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd 370 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page