Any screenshots of the GUI?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 6916 Old 09-14-2009, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'am doing the new update and it's taking awhile. This is the new update that just came out on the 10th. I'am afraid to do anything to it while it's uplaoding the update. How long did it take for yours to do the new update? If mine froze, what should I do then?

BD390
post #1833 of 6916 Old 09-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgemmati View Post

Netflix works great, PQ is equal to how it looked streaming via the 360. DL time is a little long for some titles but once it loads there are no issues. HD is not good, it looks like a stretched DVD at best.

Netflix HD movies look great streaming through my 390, either wirelessly or hardwired. Definitely not looking like a "stretched DVD." Have you tried watching Netflix movies with your computer turned off? In my environment this greatly improved the quality of the signal.
post #1834 of 6916 Old 09-14-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3oosted View Post

I'am doing the new update and it's taking awhile. This is the new update that just came out on the 10th. I'am afraid to do anything to it while it's uplaoding the update. How long did it take for yours to do the new update? If mine froze, what should I do then?

BD390

Wel I went outside for awhile to wait and I came back in and the machine was off for some reason. I turned it back on thinking it shut its self off after uploading the update. Nope, turned it back on, started and said if I wanted to DL and UL the new update. Said yes again only for it to freeze agian. Anyone have any problems with the updates freezing on you?
post #1835 of 6916 Old 09-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Netflix works great, PQ is equal to how it looked streaming via the 360. DL time is a little long for some titles but once it loads there are no issues. HD is not good, it looks like a stretched DVD at best.

Appreciate the feedback. I stream Netflix in my family room via my Xbox 360 currently. However the missus has expressed an interest in having a Blu-Ray player that can handle streaming in our living room also. Just have to decide if it's worth upgrading to the 2 disk plan from Netflix. Decisions, decisions.....
post #1836 of 6916 Old 09-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine View Post

Appreciate the feedback. I stream Netflix in my family room via my Xbox 360 currently. However the missus has expressed an interest in having a Blu-Ray player that can handle streaming in our living room also. Just have to decide if it's worth upgrading to the 2 disk plan from Netflix. Decisions, decisions.....

Actually you only need to be on the 1 DVD out at-a-time (unlimited) plan to be allowed to stream Netflix movies (as many as you want.)
post #1837 of 6916 Old 09-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightrope View Post

Actually you only need to be on the 1 DVD out at-a-time (unlimited) plan to be allowed to stream Netflix movies (as many as you want.)

I believe (And I could be wrong), that in order to add a second streaming device, that you need to upgrade to the next highest disk rental plan as well.

Edit: Upon re-reading the Netflix Streaming FAQ, the language seems to indicate that you may need to upgrade your plan if you want to watch streaming content simultaneously on more than one device (Which we won't be doing). So perhaps I read it incorrectly the first time.

Can anyone confirm that you can have more than one registered streaming device on the 1 disk at a time plan?
post #1838 of 6916 Old 09-14-2009, 09:42 PM

Is it possible to have a FW update for bd370 to recognize ntfs harddrive ?
Fat 32 really a limited format.

I really don't understand LG policy to use this format nowadays
If FW update is not possible then I better sell this unit asap.

C'mon LG, pls honor your customer and do the right thing.
post #1839 of 6916 Old 09-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I believe (And I could be wrong), that in order to add a second streaming device, that you need to upgrade to the next highest disk rental plan as well.

Edit: Upon re-reading the Netflix Streaming FAQ, the language seems to indicate that you may need to upgrade your plan if you want to watch streaming content simultaneously on more than one device (Which we won't be doing). So perhaps I read it incorrectly the first time.

Can anyone confirm that you can have more than one registered streaming device on the 1 disk at a time plan?

Sorry, I had misunderstood that your setup will include 2 registered streaming devices. Netflix is rather vague on the subject, indeed. I would be curious to know as well, since I am planning to get a second 390 for my bedroom.
post #1840 of 6916 Old 09-15-2009, 05:52 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I've not watched streaming netflix using anything but my Laptop and the BD390. (Both wirelessly).

As far as HD quality goes, I've watched the Elephant Man, and I thought it looked really good. Not what I'd call BluRay quality, but certainly as good as, if not better than, DVD.

We watched "Out to sea" (SD) last night. It looked about as good as some DVD backups I've made using Nero Recode. i.e. nearly as good as the original DVD, but there were some scenes where the colors were blocky instead of a smooth transition... like they showed a shot of the Moon in the night sky, and you could see the blockiness in the dark sky....

Could the TV being used impact the PQ of the streaming netflix? Does the Player "up convert" the netflix stuff to put it out on the TV at 1080p? or is the player just putting it out, and the TV is scaling to its native resolution?
post #1841 of 6916 Old 09-15-2009, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiriady View Post

Is it possible to have a FW update for bd370 to recognize ntfs harddrive ?
Fat 32 really a limited format.

I really don't understand LG policy to use this format nowadays
If FW update is not possible then I better sell this unit asap.

C'mon LG, pls honor your customer and do the right thing.

I could be wrong but to support NTFS would mean paying royalty or licensing fees to Microsoft, thus one of the reasons for a higher price tag on the 390.
post #1842 of 6916 Old 09-15-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:

I have two 390's registered with my netflix, the one I returned and it's replacement. Now I wish I would have thought to "unregister" it prior to returning. Obviously, I never used both simultaneously.

BTW, I think the HD netflix movies look pretty good, better than DVD, of course not as good at Blu Ray. I'm running wireless and have FIOS 25/15internet.
post #1843 of 6916 Old 09-15-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmon View Post

I have two 390's registered with my netflix, the one I returned and it's replacement. Now I wish I would have thought to "unregister" it prior to returning. Obviously, I never used both simultaneously.

BTW, I think the HD netflix movies look pretty good, better than DVD, of course not as good at Blu Ray. I'm running wireless and have FIOS 25/15internet.

I forgot to mention I have the One out at a time netfllix service.
post #1844 of 6916 Old 09-15-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:

From Netflix:
Members on Netflix unlimited plans may have up to 6 unique devices or computers activated on an account at any one time. Of those activated devices, members can watch simultaneously on more than one device depending on the plan type the member has.

FYI, I have the 1 disk at a time plan and have 2 TiVo's and 2 Samsung Blu-Ray players registered.

I just got an LG 42LH50 TV with Netflix capability and am planning to get a BD390 soon, based on all the features. I can have all 6 of these registered with my current plan, but can only watch on one device at a time due to my plan limits. BTW, I think you can watch simultaneously same # of streams as your plan allows disks.
post #1845 of 6916 Old 09-15-2009, 08:43 AM

I picked up teh Canadian BD390 yesterday and set it up. The Nero software worked fine, but used to jump a lot, so I took it off again. I used TVersity with my PS3 and that was fine, but the user interface and file structure is horrible in it. So I would like to just list my Sharing folder in the Media view menu.

So I have an external HD on my Vista machine that stores all my movies, music, and pictures. This drive is sharing with my XP laptop, and another XP desktop - all computers cann access this drive - no problems.

However, I cannot get the 390 to see the drive. All permissions are set correctly, etc.

Has anyone figured this out yet? I've read through the forum and it seems others have the same problem as well.

Thanks!

BTW, I have not seen any evidence of lip sync issues with any file that I streamed wirelessly through TVersity.
post #1846 of 6916 Old 09-15-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiga6360 View Post

I could be wrong but to support NTFS would mean paying royalty or licensing fees to Microsoft, thus one of the reasons for a higher price tag on the 390.

Hi Saiga,
That explain alot. Thanks for the response.

BTW is there a hack firmware available for bd370 to support ntfs ?
post #1847 of 6916 Old 09-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post

From Netflix:
Members on Netflix unlimited plans may have up to 6 unique devices or computers activated on an account at any one time. Of those activated devices, members can watch simultaneously on more than one device depending on the plan type the member has.

FYI, I have the 1 disk at a time plan and have 2 TiVo's and 2 Samsung Blu-Ray players registered.

I just got an LG 42LH50 TV with Netflix capability and am planning to get a BD390 soon, based on all the features. I can have all 6 of these registered with my current plan, but can only watch on one device at a time due to my plan limits. BTW, I think you can watch simultaneously same # of streams as your plan allows disks.

Cool beans - that seems to address that concern quite nicely . I'm now seriously considering picking one of these players up.
post #1848 of 6916 Old 09-15-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi59 View Post

hdx quality on the vudu is outstanding! Its also the only box that will do dolby 5.1.

+1

Signature 141
post #1849 of 6916 Old 09-15-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightrope View Post

Netflix HD movies look great streaming through my 390, either wirelessly or hardwired. Definitely not looking like a "stretched DVD." Have you tried watching Netflix movies with your computer turned off? In my environment this greatly improved the quality of the signal.

I have tried only 2 HD movies from netflix streaming as they both had a stretched feel to it. Sort of like some of the material you might see on NGHD. I don't know how else to describe it but that's the feeling I got. It was not, in my eyes, 16:9 material. I will try with the computer off but I don't see how that would help as I believe it"s a compression issue from the source.

Signature 141
post #1850 of 6916 Old 09-15-2009, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had 3 Netflix capable things (BD390, Xbox 360, Samsung 2550) reigistered to stream on the cheapest plan possible.
post #1851 of 6916 Old 09-15-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post

I've not watched streaming netflix using anything but my Laptop and the BD390. (Both wirelessly).

As far as HD quality goes, I've watched the Elephant Man, and I thought it looked really good. Not what I'd call BluRay quality, but certainly as good as, if not better than, DVD.

We watched "Out to sea" (SD) last night. It looked about as good as some DVD backups I've made using Nero Recode. i.e. nearly as good as the original DVD, but there were some scenes where the colors were blocky instead of a smooth transition... like they showed a shot of the Moon in the night sky, and you could see the blockiness in the dark sky....

Could the TV being used impact the PQ of the streaming netflix? Does the Player "up convert" the netflix stuff to put it out on the TV at 1080p? or is the player just putting it out, and the TV is scaling to its native resolution?

No upconversion being done, it is straight from the source. Your right, HD does look better than the netflix SD, but not as good as I expected. I too notice the artifacts on netflix material but that is to be expected. It can only get better as it is known that netflix is spending many resources to improve streaming technology and launch by late this year to early next.

Signature 141
post #1852 of 6916 Old 09-15-2009, 11:46 AM

My HP MD5880N (1080 DLP TV) does not seem to play with the LG BD390 using HDMI?

I can connect to the TV with Component cables just fine and all resolutions up to 720P and 1080i are just great. However, when I try to connect using the HDMI ports on the TV it does not provide a picture.

Things I've tried:

1) Player's HDMI port is functional and HDMI cable is good. Connected with the player and HDMI cable to another HDTV and works fine.

2) TV's HDMI ports (2) do function. I can connect my Samsung DVD player using the HDMI ports on the TV and picture works just fine.

3) Resolution Level - I have tried everything from 48Oi all the way up to 1080P in player using HDMI with no love.

4) Frequency - I have tried changing from 60Hz to 24Hz in player using HDMI with no difference.

5) Color - I've adjusted the setup for HDMI Color from RGB to other option (don't recall the letters) and only difference is when I am using RGB I get a black screen and the other I get a green screen.

6) Software/Firmware Updates - I have updated the LG player using the WIFI to the latest SW upgrade with no love. I have updated the TV to the lastest firmware as well.

Ideas:

1) Is is possible that my TV (which I believe to be likely HDMI 1.1) is not playing well with the HDM 1.3 of the LG Player? They are supposed to be backward compatible but I wonder if there is some kind of handshake issue here?

2) I may choose to go back to BestBuy and get another Blue Ray player to try a different player through HDMI to rule out the LG and my TV having issues specifically together?

3) Has anyone seen any issues regardless of TV like this with the LG Player and HDMI?

Any thoughts would be appreciated?

Samsung PN64F8500
Denon AVR-X4000
Oppo BDP-103
Paradigm Speakers
post #1853 of 6916 Old 09-15-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmon View Post

I have two 390's registered with my netflix, the one I returned and it's replacement. Now I wish I would have thought to "unregister" it prior to returning.

You can unregister it from your Netflix account management page, no big deal.

Quote:

I've found it to be a mixed bag (even at home with the 55 mbit/s service). Generally the HD content is pretty good, however.
post #1854 of 6916 Old 09-15-2009, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Apparently the BD-390 doesn't officially support the DVD-audio format (a big plus for the competing Oppo BDP-83, which also adds SACD support). However, I own two DVD-Audio discs ('Audio' by Blue Man Group and 'The Bluegrass Sessions' by Bela Fleck), and they seem to play fine on my BD-390 (with full 5.1 being sent to my Onkyo TX-SR876 receiver).

So does this player actually support DVD audio? Or was I just fortunate to test two DVD-audio discs that were encoded in a way that the BD-390 could read?

EDIT-Some more research revealed that most DVD-Audio discs have Dolby Digital and/or DTS tracks included, so that standard DVD players can decode them. The BD-390 just can't decode the uncompressed MLP tracks on DVD-audio discs. Bummer!

Thanks
post #1855 of 6916 Old 09-15-2009, 01:27 PM

Has anyone checked to see if the BD370 or BD390 will read ext2 formatted flash drives? My Memorex Blu-Ray player will, and since the LG players are also linux based I think they might.
post #1856 of 6916 Old 09-15-2009, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edenguy View Post

My HP MD5880N (1080 DLP TV) does not seem to play with the LG BD390 using HDMI?

I can connect to the TV with Component cables just fine and all resolutions up to 720P and 1080i are just great. However, when I try to connect using the HDMI ports on the TV it does not provide a picture.

Things I've tried:

1) Player's HDMI port is functional and HDMI cable is good. Connected with the player and HDMI cable to another HDTV and works fine.

2) TV's HDMI ports (2) do function. I can connect my Samsung DVD player using the HDMI ports on the TV and picture works just fine.

3) Resolution Level - I have tried everything from 48Oi all the way up to 1080P in player using HDMI with no love.

4) Frequency - I have tried changing from 60Hz to 24Hz in player using HDMI with no difference.

5) Color - I've adjusted the setup for HDMI Color from RGB to other option (don't recall the letters) and only difference is when I am using RGB I get a black screen and the other I get a green screen.

6) Software/Firmware Updates - I have updated the LG player using the WIFI to the latest SW upgrade with no love. I have updated the TV to the lastest firmware as well.

Ideas:

1) Is is possible that my TV (which I believe to be likely HDMI 1.1) is not playing well with the HDM 1.3 of the LG Player? They are supposed to be backward compatible but I wonder if there is some kind of handshake issue here?

2) I may choose to go back to BestBuy and get another Blue Ray player to try a different player through HDMI to rule out the LG and my TV having issues specifically together?

3) Has anyone seen any issues regardless of TV like this with the LG Player and HDMI?

Any thoughts would be appreciated?

you may have to go into the laptop settings and change it so you can use an external display. I think in my laptop using HDMI I had to switch it so I could use external display or dual display
post #1857 of 6916 Old 09-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsenter View Post

First, I'd like to summarize the differences.
390 has and 370 doesn't:
- 7.1 analog outputs
- 11n wireless
- DLNA (even so it's subpar)
- Divx / Divx HD, MKV
- dts-HD Master Audio vs. dts-HD Master Audio Essential
- video DAC 148MHz/12bit vs. 108MHz/10bit (I believe this is very important for up-conversion).
- 1GB internal memory for BD-live (yes, it's beneficial if one uses BD-live)
- Vudu (promised by the end of this month - Sept)

Gee, I forgot
- 390 reads NTFS formatted disks

- video DACs important if one uses analog outputs
- 390 allows some image adjustments
(thanks Charles R).
post #1858 of 6916 Old 09-15-2009, 04:30 PM

Will these units read an external HD connected to the USB port?
post #1859 of 6916 Old 09-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illuvial View Post

Will these units read an external HD connected to the USB port?

Yes, manual p.26.
post #1860 of 6916 Old 09-15-2009, 04:36 PM

I don't have a manual for one of these units.

Is there a partition limit?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd 370 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page