post #211 of 6916 Old 05-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

Yep - the American 370 does not play any movie file via USB.

Hmm... Since the BD370 can't do it, sounds like my hopes for the 'American' BD390 just got squashed .

jidelite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 6916 Old 05-02-2009, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you guys have the 390 and a harmony remote, how are you programming it? Are the controls the same for both the 370 and the 390?

Thanks
post #213 of 6916 Old 05-02-2009, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there any way to keep the 370 from stretching 4:3 content? That drives me crazy. My Toshiba HD-A30 (HD-DVD) doesn't stretch 4:3 content, but it's so slow I don't want to use it for our 4:3 DVDs (Buffy, Angel, etc).

edit: Setting display type to 16:9 Original fixed this. Phew. I hate stretched/zoomed/non OAR content.

My Media Room Construction thread. Work began 2/15/05, finished 7.1 install 6/2005. Sold house 7/2007.
post #214 of 6916 Old 05-02-2009, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toeside View Post

Is anyone having trouble with Bolt when sending the audio to a receiver for decoding? I'm trying to figure out where the problem could be.

LG BD 370 -> Yamaha RX-V465 via HDMI. Both times that we watched Bolt today the Yamaha's display read "Decoder Off". It does this when no audio is detected. Both times I was able to get DTS-MA to work--first time was by going back to the menu and restarting the movie, the other time was by changing the Audio to an alternate track, then back to DTS-HD MA.

I exchanged the Yamaha RX-V465 receiver today and grabbed a Pioneer VSX-819H instead. I have the same issue with DTS-HD MA not getting detected on Bolt or Bedtime Stories. Toggling the audio to something else, then back to DTS-HD MA fixes the issue.

I guess LG needs to fix this in firmware.

My Media Room Construction thread. Work began 2/15/05, finished 7.1 install 6/2005. Sold house 7/2007.
post #215 of 6916 Old 05-02-2009, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jidelite View Post

Hmm... Since the BD370 can't do it, sounds like my hopes for the 'American' BD390 just got squashed .

jidelite

The 390 apparently does play video files. To bad I wont spend $400 on a Blu-ray player.
post #216 of 6916 Old 05-03-2009, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by androgelrx View Post

If you guys have the 390 and a harmony remote, how are you programming it? Are the controls the same for both the 370 and the 390?

Thanks

I just programmed the Harmony for the 370 and I haven't had any problems.
post #217 of 6916 Old 05-03-2009, 10:47 AM

Liked: 11
Will the BD370 steam pics and music from a networked computer like the TIVO HD does? Btw, the BD370 is on sale in this weeks Best Buy ad.

Larry
post #218 of 6916 Old 05-03-2009, 07:39 PM

I have never been able to get my LG to play Multi Channel Audio.
On my comcast HD box I light up all the 5.1 every time

On Blu ray disks the 5.1 lights during the pre commercials, but when the main feature comes on now sound at all

On DVD disk no lights but I get some prologic type sound

I sent it to LG ( horrible customer service: dumb as a box of rocks, and no knowledge of connect-ology). They sent the unit back quickly, with no change apparent.

I don't think that it is my non HDMI Pioneer Elite receiver ( 6 years old) since it worked great with my OPPO upconverting DVD and it works with my Comcast.

I doubt that Best Buy will help, but I was planning a major kitchen remodel w/ LG stuff and that is now off the table.

Any ideas?
tomcarpenter1@gmail.com
post #219 of 6916 Old 05-03-2009, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarp3234 View Post

I have never been able to get my LG to play Multi Channel Audio.
On my comcast HD box I light up all the 5.1 every time

On Blu ray disks the 5.1 lights during the pre commercials, but when the main feature comes on now sound at all

On DVD disk no lights but I get some prologic type sound

I sent it to LG ( horrible customer service: dumb as a box of rocks, and no knowledge of connect-ology). They sent the unit back quickly, with no change apparent.

I don't think that it is my non HDMI Pioneer Elite receiver ( 6 years old) since it worked great with my OPPO upconverting DVD and it works with my Comcast.

I doubt that Best Buy will help, but I was planning a major kitchen remodel w/ LG stuff and that is now off the table.

Any ideas?
tomcarpenter1@gmail.com

How do you have the BD player connected to the receiver? What are you audio settings on the player? I'm assuming you are using the optical output since you don't have HDMI on the receiver. Based on that, you need to set the player to "DTS Re-encode". That should resolve your audio issues.

post #220 of 6916 Old 05-04-2009, 03:55 AM

Got the 390 at BB. Standard dvds look supurb. Plays video through USB. Plays MKV! Plays PAL!

Only problem I've noticed is with DIVX files -- the audio and video are not in perfect sync. I have not had this problem with my old cheap Phillips unit or on the pc, so I know my DIVX files are good. Has anyone else had this issue?
post #221 of 6916 Old 05-04-2009, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiefan View Post

Will the BD370 steam pics and music from a networked computer like the TIVO HD does? Btw, the BD370 is on sale in this weeks Best Buy ad.

Nope.
post #222 of 6916 Old 05-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterthingy View Post

Got the 390 at BB. Standard dvds look supurb. Plays video through USB. Plays MKV! Plays PAL!

Only problem I've noticed is with DIVX files -- the audio and video are not in perfect sync. I have not had this problem with my old cheap Phillips unit or on the pc, so I know my DIVX files are good. Has anyone else had this issue?

Ok, question... I know I've generically used a phrase similar to 'plays video through USB' but now that I guess we have established that the BD390 can play video - I'm looking for a certain type video through USB (as stated, MKV and DivX seem to play) :
1) Can it play DVD structured video (i.e. from VIDEO_TS folder and not just the .VOB).
2) Can it play Blu-ray structure (or if it plays just the .m2ts file can it play HD audio as well).
3) Can it play AVCHD structure (with HD audio).

I probably don't say this enough but thanks to all who have been gracious enough to share their experiences with these players...

jidelite
post #223 of 6916 Old 05-04-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipper IV View Post

I just programmed the Harmony for the 370 and I haven't had any problems.

Thanks, that's what I'm going to do.
post #224 of 6916 Old 05-05-2009, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Question for you 390 owners, aonone having issues with it seeing you N network? I have a dual band router and just realized that while it is seeing (and connecting fine) to the G side(full bars on strength meter), it doesn't see the N side at all. I've even brought the roughter up right next the the 390 and it refuses to the the N side.

Any ideas?

**EDIT**
ok, obviously there is an issue with the BD390. It fails to see the 2nd Access Point on my router(WRT600N). This is specific to the 390 as my WGA600N connected to my Directv box has no issues neither does my laptop. It sees whatever I set for the 1st AP on my router, whether it be N or G, however it will not see the other AP, no matter what. The issue is I cannot set the 2nd AP to be G. It can only be N. So if I want G and N running at the same time, I have to set the first to G and the 2nd to N.

**EDIT 2**
I have submitted this to LG, so they can take a look at it. It's definitely something specific to the BD390, as far as I can tell. I'd be interested to hear from others running a dual band(G/N) router to see if their BD390 sees both bands at the same time.
post #225 of 6916 Old 05-05-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jidelite View Post

1) Can it play DVD structured video (i.e. from VIDEO_TS folder and not just the .VOB).

Don't think so. When playing from a video_ts folder on my usb key I could not use a menu or even FF-RW, but it apparently was smart enough to go from one vob file to the next in sequence.
post #226 of 6916 Old 05-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterthingy View Post

Don't think so. When playing from a video_ts folder on my usb key I could not use a menu or even FF-RW, but it apparently was smart enough to go from one vob file to the next in sequence.

I figured that would be too much to ask for . VOB file would be ok. probably wouldn't use it much for DVDs anyway .

Thanks,
jidelite
post #227 of 6916 Old 05-06-2009, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomCastles View Post

My BD-390 just arrived today and I wasted no time in setting it up. I have a wireless router, so I tried that first. I use WEP2 encryption and when it came time to enter the password into the 390 there was no way to enter capital letters. The manual said nothing about how to do that either. I gave up and plugged in a wire stolen from another device nearby. Now I'll have to get a network switch to allow both to work at the same time.

Ok, I figured out how to enter capital letters on the BD390, I'm assuming it's the same for the 370...

When you get the intial lowercase onscreen keyboard, move your cursor to the button for all the symbol characters(lower right) and select it. Now when you are on the keyboard with the symbols, go down the the Letters button(button is in same position as the symbols button was on the lower case keyboard screen) in the lower left and select this(Notice the letters are in upper case). This will put you on the CAPITAL letters keyboard. You can get back to the lower case letter by selecting the lower case letter button(again int he same spot as the others).

Also, on the issue I am having with the 390 not seeing my dual band N side of my Linksys WRT600N routers, I'm beginning to think the BD390 is not compatible with the 5ghz channel range when using N, thus why it does not see the 2nd N portion of my router(it can only be set to 5ghz band). If I set the 2.4ghz portion of my router to N, it sees it ok.

This is just a guess, but it makes sense as to why it's not even seeing the AP at all(nevermind not connecting). Why LG would put the player out touting N connectivity and not be able to see the 5ghz band is beyond me and a HUGE shortcoming. It basically maks the wireless portion of the BD390 useless to me, since I must have G access for my wife's work laptop and that is stuck hogging the 2.4ghz band, so the N is on the 5ghz band.

Luckily, connecting via G instead of N has still allowed me to stream HD from Netflix, so if it holds up, I guess it will be ok, although I'd much rather have the BD390 connected via the 5ghz N band.
post #228 of 6916 Old 05-06-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:

I exchanged the Yamaha RX-V465 receiver today and grabbed a Pioneer VSX-819H instead. I have the same issue with DTS-HD MA not getting detected on Bolt or Bedtime Stories. Toggling the audio to something else, then back to DTS-HD MA fixes the issue.

I had the same problem with all movies with a DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD track. I had the player connected to my Denon 4308 and the only way I could get the player to bitstream properly would be to switch the audio track while the movie was playing. I know it wasn't my receiver causing the problem since I replaced the LG 370 with the Pioneer 51FD and it bitstreams perfectly. My guess is it has something to do with the player sending secondary audio when it shouldn't and that causes the receiver to look for a LPCM signal and not the bitstream.
post #229 of 6916 Old 05-06-2009, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Chuck_IV, from your post can I assume the wireless function will work with my Linksys 54 b/g router? I don't have wireless n.

Aibohphobia: The fear of palindromes
post #230 of 6916 Old 05-06-2009, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chroma601 View Post

Chuck_IV, from your post can I assume the wireless function will work with my Linksys 54 b/g router? I don't have wireless n.

Yes, it seems to work fine on G. It handles N, as well as B/G. It's just that N is prefered because of it's faster speed. However, as I mentioned, even tho I am only connecting using G, I am still able to view HD content on Netflix, which is where I thought the issue would be. So as it stands now, it seems G can handle the HD throughput(at least on the one HD movie... Serenity, that I tested).

I'll see how it goes over the coming days.
post #231 of 6916 Old 05-06-2009, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post

Yes, it seems to work fine on G. It handles N, as well as B/G. It's just that N is prefered because of it's faster speed. However, as I mentioned, even tho I am only connecting using G, I am still able to view HD content on Netflix, which is where I thought the issue would be. So as it stands now, it seems G can handle the HD throughput(at least on the one HD movie... Serenity, that I tested).

I'll see how it goes over the coming days.

Just remember, Wireless G is still a lot faster than most internet connections. 802.11G can be as fast as 54Mbps. That's 9 times faster than my DSL connection. Streaming HD from Netflix over Wifi should be fine unless the WiFi network is subjected to a lot of interference causing the speed to negotiate down to single digit Mbps speeds.

post #232 of 6916 Old 05-07-2009, 07:14 AM

Can any one comment on the sound quality out of the 7.1 analog jacks?
Also, does it allow 1080-24p output while playing 24fps divx and mkv files?
Thanks in advance!
post #233 of 6916 Old 05-07-2009, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

I experienced this this past week as well, and toggling the audio does indeed fix it. But I noticed something else. On Quantum of Solace, when I had this issue, when the subtitles popped up, they popped up both in English and something else (can't remember the other language).

I watched Chocolate last night, and I had the same audio issue. But I also had problems with the subtitles. With the regular English subtitles selected, it didn't even show up half the time. I had to select Closed-Captioning for it to work correctly. I guess I could have opted for the English dubbing, but I avoid that as much as possible.
post #234 of 6916 Old 05-07-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post

I watched Chocolate last night, and I had the same audio issue. But I also had problems with the subtitles. With the regular English subtitles selected, it didn't even show up half the time. I had to select Closed-Captioning for it to work correctly. I guess I could have opted for the English dubbing, but I avoid that as much as possible.

What kind of receiver do you have your player connected to?
post #235 of 6916 Old 05-07-2009, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Sony STR-DG810. So the player does the decoding.
post #236 of 6916 Old 05-08-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post

Sony STR-DG810. So the player does the decoding.

I believe what Toeside is talking about is the player not bitstreaming properly. The subtitles issue you have is unique. I never experienced anything like that. Have you tried changing the subtitle settings in the Home screen.
post #237 of 6916 Old 05-08-2009, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

You are right, it is a bitstreaming issue. I've worked around it by having the player decode, but then I had trouble with Benjamin Button not decoding properly and went back to bitstreaming (and toggling the audio). I mailed it back to Netflix before remembering to run more tests.

How responsive is LG to these issues? Can I assume a firmware update will come out soon to fix this, or am I better off knowing the issue exists and determine if I want to return/replace this player?

post #238 of 6916 Old 05-08-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:

You are right, it is a bitstreaming issue. I've worked around it by having the player decode, but then I had trouble with Benjamin Button not decoding properly and went back to bitstreaming (and toggling the audio). I mailed it back to Netflix before remembering to run more tests.

How responsive is LG to these issues? Can I assume a firmware update will come out soon to fix this, or am I better off knowing the issue exists and determine if I want to return/replace this player?

I don't know where the issue lies because I asked if other owners on this forum were experiencing the same issue and one person replied and said his was bitstreaming perfectly on his Denon 989. So it may be a receiver issue. I think it could be the receiver seeing secondary audio and then assuming the player is decoding.
post #239 of 6916 Old 05-08-2009, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DU3C3 View Post

I don't know where the issue lies because I asked if other owners on this forum were experiencing the same issue and one person replied and said his was bitstreaming perfectly on his Denon 989. So it may be a receiver issue. I think it could be the receiver seeing secondary audio and then assuming the player is decoding.

Ive had this issue with the Pioneer 819 and the Yamaha 465. I took the yamaha back thinking it was the receiver.

post #240 of 6916 Old 05-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Pick up a 370 yesterday at BB and love it so far. Its much faster than my old Sony S1 and turns on as fast as my PS3. Youtube rocks as well, I didn't think I would like Youtube that much, but after staying up for 3 hours last night watching music videos I must say I am sold on the Youtube feature. PQ is solid, maybe a tad softer than my S1 and PS3 but its hard to tell for certain with out a side by side.Over all really happy.

Can anyone tell me what I should set the audio to? its set to "Primary Pass-Thru" via HDMI

will that let me get DTSHD/TrueHD? (my receiver does not decode either, so I need the player to)
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd 370 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page