BD370/390 LG Blu-ray player Master/Owners thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6916 Old 02-25-2009, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LG anounced their latest BD370 Blu-ray player. This is the first YouTube compatible Blu-ray player & can play streaming video.

The player is also BD Live, Profile 2.0 compatible.

New BD370 LG Blu-ray player with a lot of features
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6916 Old 02-28-2009, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I figured i start it off.

post #3 of 6916 Old 03-02-2009, 07:58 AM

I am not exactly sure what Youtube access means with respect to this player- one can do searches, etc, without a computer- would quality be the same?
post #4 of 6916 Old 03-07-2009, 11:36 PM

Liked: 22
post #5 of 6916 Old 03-08-2009, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll be getting the 390 as soon as it hits or the LG LHB979 HTIB...Damn that one looks nice.
post #6 of 6916 Old 03-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member

I went to Best Buy to pick this up today, only to find that this "networked" player requires a "wired" internet connection. I was under the impression that the only difference between this model and the upcoming 390 was the lack of 7.1 analog outputs on the 370. To find out that it's missing the wireless feature as well was a dealbreaker, I walked out of Best Buy disappointed and empty handed.
post #7 of 6916 Old 03-16-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emannikcufesin View Post

I went to Best Buy to pick this up today, only to find that this "networked" player requires a "wired" internet connection. I was under the impression that the only difference between this model and the upcoming 390 was the lack of 7.1 analog outputs on the 370. To find out that it's missing the wireless feature as well was a dealbreaker, I walked out of Best Buy disappointed and empty handed.

Sorry to hear it, but what was the price (range) listed?
post #8 of 6916 Old 03-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artyusmce View Post

Sorry to hear it, but what was the price (range) listed?

My local Best Buy stocked the 370 at $299.
post #9 of 6916 Old 03-16-2009, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

There seems to be pictures on the web of these being spotted on the shelf at Best Buy. Anyone seen them yet. How is the picture quality?
post #10 of 6916 Old 03-17-2009, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I picked mine up yesterday at Best Buy, I had to call to check stock. This player is still not listed on their web site as of right now. The best buy SKU # is 9244908. When you call your Best Buy this will save you 10 minutes of waiting on hold while they try to figure out what you are talking about. They can also check all other local stores for stock using this number.

Well I played with it for 4 hours last night, very impressive machine. My only concern is it buzzes an awful lot even when there is no disc in the machine. Sounds just like the hard drive in my DVR but this Blu-ray player has no hard drive! I am very bothered by these noises and unless someone who owned a BD300 can tell me this is normal I will probably seek an exchange today, good luck! There is probably no stock available to do so, we'll see! These noises are a constant buzzing, ticking, and sizzling type of noises. They are hard to describe but it just doesn't seem right, the player operates flawlessly otherwise. I want to note that they seem to reduce or go away when a Blu-ray is playing but not when streaming content (Netflix or Youtube) is.

Anyway on to my impressions of the player. The Netflix functionality works perfectly. I was really surprised at the quality of one of my streaming movies which was available in HD ( I think it was called Flawless). It was no Blu-ray but I thought it looked great, certainly many orders of magnitude better than the other non HD movies I streamed from Netflix. The standard definition streaming movies were hit and miss, some were better than I expected, others were exactly as I expected. One glaring omission is that you cannot tell if a movie is streaming in HD until you select it and start playback. This is probably more of a Netflix complaint than an LG, c'mon Netflix label the watch instantly with a simple "HD symbol" on your site so we know if we want to add them to our instant queue.

The Youtube functionality is another nice surprise. Video quality on my 120" screen was far better than I was prepared for. That's not to say it's good, but I expected it to be abysmal. Depending on the clip it ranged from acceptable to good.

The zoom function works great. I detected only minor image degradation when zoomed. It was satisfying to see the movie fill my entire screen, but it was bittersweet because I knew I was truly seeing less picture, not more.

Image quality on Blu-ray is just stellar. At least as good as my PS3. I did not try an SD DVD as I don't plan on watching any in this HT.

So the player is definitely awesome, however it turns out the only improvements for me over my PS3 are Netflix streaming, zoom, and Youtube. Is that worth replacing the PS3 with the BD370? I'm not sure. Add the sizling noises to that and I am left quite torn. This is clearly a fantastic machine, but I sit here staring at the PS3 and the BD370 and the winner is not clear.

My Ridiculously Inexpensive Dedicated Kick *** Home Theaters!
RIDKAHT <The Original>
RIDKAHT <<The Sequel>>
RIDKAHT <<<Part III>>>
post #11 of 6916 Old 03-17-2009, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

My local BB has these in stock so I will be buying it tonight and give it a quick spin with my Blu-ray copy of Twilight.
post #12 of 6916 Old 03-17-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docprego View Post

I picked mine up yesterday at Best Buy, I had to call to check stock. This player is still not listed on their web site as of right now. The best buy SKU # is 9244908. When you call your Best Buy this will save you 10 minutes of waiting on hold while they try to figure out what you are talking about. They can also check all other local stores for stock using this number.

Well I played with it for 4 hours last night, very impressive machine. My only concern is it buzzes an awful lot even when there is no disc in the machine. Sounds just like the hard drive in my DVR but this Blu-ray player has no hard drive! I am very bothered by these noises and unless someone who owned a BD300 can tell me this is normal I will probably seek an exchange today, good luck! There is probably no stock available to do so, we'll see! These noises are a constant buzzing, ticking, and sizzling type of noises. They are hard to describe but it just doesn't seem right, the player operates flawlessly otherwise. I want to note that they seem to reduce or go away when a Blu-ray is playing but not when streaming content (Netflix or Youtube) is.

Anyway on to my impressions of the player. The Netflix functionality works perfectly. I was really surprised at the quality of one of my streaming movies which was available in HD ( I think it was called Flawless). It was no Blu-ray but I thought it looked great, certainly many orders of magnitude better than the other non HD movies I streamed from Netflix. The standard definition streaming movies were hit and miss, some were better than I expected, others were exactly as I expected. One glaring omission is that you cannot tell if a movie is streaming in HD until you select it and start playback. This is probably more of a Netflix complaint than an LG, c'mon Netflix label the watch instantly with a simple "HD symbol" on your site so we know if we want to add them to our instant queue.

The Youtube functionality is another nice surprise. Video quality on my 120" screen was far better than I was prepared for. That's not to say it's good, but I expected it to be abysmal. Depending on the clip it ranged from acceptable to good.

The zoom function works great. I detected only minor image degradation when zoomed. It was satisfying to see the movie fill my entire screen, but it was bittersweet because I knew I was truly seeing less picture, not more.

Image quality on Blu-ray is just stellar. At least as good as my PS3. I did not try an SD DVD as I don't plan on watching any in this HT.

So the player is definitely awesome, however it turns out the only improvements for me over my PS3 are Netflix streaming, zoom, and Youtube. Is that worth replacing the PS3 with the BD370? I'm not sure. Add the sizling noises to that and I am left quite torn. This is clearly a fantastic machine, but I sit here staring at the PS3 and the BD370 and the winner is not clear.

great post Docprego, keep us posted on your noises. 299 not a bad price
post #13 of 6916 Old 03-17-2009, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Exchanged it, just left Best Buy with a new unit. I'll let you know how it went later tonight.

RIDKAHT <The Original>
RIDKAHT <<The Sequel>>
RIDKAHT <<<Part III>>>
post #14 of 6916 Old 03-17-2009, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Exchanged it, just left Best Buy with a new unit. I'll let you know how it went later tonight.

If you could also compare the loading times to the PS3, that would be great.

Juan

My HT
post #15 of 6916 Old 03-17-2009, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got mine. Anyone try Divx files yet? I had some on a USB drive and it didn't recognize them

Doing firmware update now.
post #16 of 6916 Old 03-17-2009, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

And where is CinemaNow that was promised? Odd...
post #17 of 6916 Old 03-17-2009, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

And where is CinemaNow that was promised? Odd...

I can't find Cinemanow either, anyone know the trick? Is this going to arrive with a firmware update?

Brief report on my new exchanged BD370: I can't say the new one is 100% noise free but it is dramatically better than the first one. Now that I have had a chance to watch the same movie on the PS3 and then the BD370 I feel confident in saying that Blu-ray looks better on the BD370. There is a sharpness to the BD370 Blu-ray images that I found the PS3 could not match.

RIDKAHT <The Original>
RIDKAHT <<The Sequel>>
RIDKAHT <<<Part III>>>
post #18 of 6916 Old 03-18-2009, 06:26 AM

Hi everyone,
can anybody confirm (or not) this player can read files (DIVX, MKV, AVCHD, etc.) from external Hard-Disk drives (with or without power supply), USB connected? A forumer (german forum) claims he successfully connected a 20 GB external hard drive (2,5" I guess)...
post #19 of 6916 Old 03-18-2009, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Just for my BD370. So far so good. The remote has a faux leather feel to it and it opens/closes like the A1/XA1/XA2 Toshiba Remote. I'm in love

post #20 of 6916 Old 03-18-2009, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masdigvid View Post

Hi everyone,
can anybody confirm (or not) this player can read files (DIVX, MKV, AVCHD, etc.) from external Hard-Disk drives (with or without power supply), USB connected? A forumer (german forum) claims he successfully connected a 20 GB external hard drive (2,5" I guess)...

Won't play my .avi, Divx or MKV files.
post #21 of 6916 Old 03-18-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:

Won't play my .avi, Divx or MKV files.

From an italian forum (avmagazine.it) someone confirms he can play mkv files from 8 GB pen drive (FAT32, 4 GB file size max, is the only limitation).
You mean from the external hard disk? Can you browse files and directories from an external hard disk at least?
post #22 of 6916 Old 03-18-2009, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I tried a 4GB thumb drive and a external 320GB drive (self powered). Pictures worked, but movie files did not. I did transfer then from my Mac Book...so maybe that's why?
post #23 of 6916 Old 03-18-2009, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quickie review.

Pro's
- Fast Loading (faster then my S550, LG BH200)
- Picture is stunning
- YouTube works perfectly (have not tried Netflix yet)
- Really cool design
- Love the remote

Con's
- 1 USB port on the front of the unit (Thumbdrive required for Profile 1.1/2.0 features - but not for YouTube)
- Not all features promised are available (CinemaNow, Pandora, Yahoo, Divx)

Watched Twilight Blu-ray last night and had no issues with playback. Picture looked great and I really like the unit. Sadly, having the USB port on the front may make me return it for the BD390 (1GB built-in, WiFi) when that hits.
post #24 of 6916 Old 03-18-2009, 11:32 AM

Thank you, very useful.

Quote:

I tried [...] a external 320GB drive (self powered)

Could you please point the make and model of the 320GB drive?

Quote:

Pictures worked, but movie files did not. I did transfer then from my Mac Book...so maybe that's why?

Please check the file system of your disks. Are they NTFS or HFS+ formatted? User's manual states that only FAT32 file system is supported, so, one should try with a FAT32 formatted hard disk (thumbdrive would be the same).

Quote:

Pictures worked, but movie files did not.

Very strange. Again in the user's manual it is written that DIVX (720x576 max resolution) are supported; MKV files are supported too, in this case even full HD (1920x1080).
post #25 of 6916 Old 03-18-2009, 11:41 AM

Do these new LG players support "Source Direct" modes?
post #26 of 6916 Old 03-18-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:

...One glaring omission is that you cannot tell if a movie is streaming in HD until you select it and start playback. This is probably more of a Netflix complaint than an LG, c'mon Netflix label the watch instantly with a simple "HD symbol" on your site so we know if we want to add them to our instant queue...

You can figure out which Netflix movies are HD by going here: http://www.netflix.com/WiHD

You can also get to that page by selecting the 'HD' genre from the Watch Now page.

The BD-370 also tells you which titles are HD in your queue.

-e.B
post #27 of 6916 Old 03-18-2009, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebony Blue View Post

You can figure out which Netflix movies are HD by going here: http://www.netflix.com/WiHD

You can also get to that page by selecting the 'HD' genre from the Watch Now page.

The BD-370 also tells you which titles are HD in your queue.

-e.B

The link didn't work.

I am not presented with an HD genre from the watch instantly menu.

However I did find the HD symbol on my queue on my BD-370, so now I can figure it out. I am still left wondering why I can't see this information on Netflix's site so that I know in the first place if I want to add it to my queue.

Thanks.

RIDKAHT <The Original>
RIDKAHT <<The Sequel>>
RIDKAHT <<<Part III>>>
post #28 of 6916 Old 03-19-2009, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Got the BD-370 set up on my Harmony 659. I was delighted to find that the Harmony database already contained the BD-370, setup was super easy! After custom mapping a few of the keys I can now say that using the BD-370 with my Harmony is superior than with the included remote. Also it is really nice to have a player that the Harmony can turn on and off, and eject the tray. I really missed those two conveniences that the PS3 controlled by the Harmony lacked.

After watching quite a few Blu-rays I am startled by how much sharper the image seems to me from this LG player than I was experiencing with the PS3.

I guess my only two (minor) issues with the player that I have at this point are:

1. The net connection seems a bit unstable. I'll start a Netflix movie and it works fine, but if I try to skip forward many times it wlll report that it has lost the connection.

2. There is no 5.1 audio on the Netflix movies, not even on the single HD title I tried (Flawless). I am not sure if this is the case for all HD movies, anyone know?

That's it! What an awesome player.

RIDKAHT <The Original>
RIDKAHT <<The Sequel>>
RIDKAHT <<<Part III>>>
post #29 of 6916 Old 03-19-2009, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Can you guys confirm that it actually decodes DTS-HD MA? I looked up the manual online and it keeps mentioning DTS-HD decoding and doesn't list DTS-HD Master Audio.

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #30 of 6916 Old 03-19-2009, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Any remarks on SD DVD performance with these devices? I'm looking to recommend a BD player to colleagues, and some will not care a whit about DTS-HD MA or NetFlix, but will care about boot-up and load times and SD DVD PQ.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bd 370 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Lg Bd 390 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page