1Likes

post #271 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

So did I miss it, but when the EAP units going to ship?* Good thing they are in California and should get quick, bad news had to pay taxes.

I just looked on OPPO web site and it says mine was shipped at 3:30 their time.Hope to receive by next Tuesday or Wednesday.Wil post my views on unit.

EAP {First Fifty} OPPO BDP-83 BLU-RAY, Oppo BDP-93 First Batch Issued, Oppo BDP-103 First Batch Issued

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post

1. I think this thread should be locked when we start to get units cause it is getting like the other thread full of nothing. JMO

Beta participants can freely talk about the player. You are seeing many very well asked and answered questions related directly to the BDP-83.

Quote:

2. Are we going to do a list of the equipment like we said yesterday so people know how we are set up? I thought it was a cool idea.

I can run this on the main post, so send me a PM with your equipment and I can start making edits.
post #273 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
I had to opt out as well...I had to consider the facts below listed:

1) I have a Samsung 5000 dual HD DVD and BD Player.....I own over 50 HD Movies and about an equal amount of BDs.
2) I also own over 900+ SD DVDs ...I am so impressed by the upscaling of the 983 and Pioneer Elite,I have not purchased any BDs not HD DVDs in a hell of a long time....and I also feel very few catalog BD's will ever be released,if ever.
3) I would have a difficult time shelling out more money for an 83 since I more than pleased with my current set up.
4) I have a significant hearing loss in one ear...so PQ is far more important to me than AQ...
Just me and my 02 cents..
post #274 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertazimmerman View Post

....except in Canada.

... during the Early Adoption Program only. No such limitation exists for the official release of the BDP-83.
post #275 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

So you're saying if you weren't lucky enough do not come here.

No I'm not saying that. I'm saying that all the talk about price this and what they did wrong that has nothing to do with the function of the player and issues it might have when it hits. It just makes it harder to go through the thread.

jimi
post #276 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
A genuine question: Have there been any attempts to play captured broadcast or cable TS streams - particularly high-def ones?
post #277 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 04:33 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by narkspud View Post

A genuine question: Have there been any attempts to play captured broadcast or cable TS streams - particularly high-def ones?

Not supported.

-Bill
post #278 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Transport Streams (.TS) is not supported. TS transcoded to MPEG-2 is supported.
post #279 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Alright I’m just going to come out and say this, but first…
Yadda, yadda, yadda, sour grapes and all that jazz.

I’m really disappointed in the way that Oppo has rolled this out. When they first announced the early adoption program, I immediately sent in a request to be part of that program and purchase this machine. It may seem weird, but this player is THE PLAYER I’ve been waiting for since the birth of the Blu-ray format (based on having owned several Oppo players). Every other player I’ve bought has been a stop gap to get me to the player that Oppo would eventually release. I have been that dedicated to purchasing this player, sight unseen.

As soon as the EAP was mentioned, I immediately (like many others, I’m sure) emailed Oppo indicating my intent to purchase this player ASAP (we’re talking, early December). To me, I viewed this in the same way I would a pre-order. It was my pledge that I would make a purchase, day one. I would be very angry if I preordered a player early, and then the company shipped them out lottery style. I don’t view this any differently. Someone who may have become interested in this player only a few weeks ago might be getting one shipped to them today, while others like me who have been waiting for nearly three months for the player to become available are made to wait longer.

I also don’t really like the “voting” aspect of the process. If Oppo has 250 units sitting around waiting to be released, then release them to the people who have indicated they want them. Now if the problem is that they can’t make the units fast enough and 50 is all that exists right now, fine. But ship them as they become available; don’t let them sit around giving the “nifty fifty” weeks to use one before extending the opportunity to a new group. I have to imagine that 99.9% of every problem this player had has already been scrutinized and eliminated by the beta group.

We’ve already seen (in this thread alone) a handful of people opt out for whatever reason. I don’t have a problem with that, but I am a bit disappointed that the people who are probably most dedicated to buying this player and who jumped on this immediately were sort of disregarded just so that everything was “fair.” I may not have been in the first 50 requests to Oppo, but at least I would know I was moving up in the queue. The way it is, I have no idea whether I’m closer to getting the player I want or not. Then when they are officially released, do I have to place a new order and risk being shoved to the end of that queue as well?

I’m just getting really irritated and I don’t like that this has become some sort of game.
post #280 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-HD View Post

JohnAv

Did you update your list?

Yes I have been, but jheeze there's a lot of posts in this thread to read!

Oppo Beta Group
post #281 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 04:57 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

There is no feature like that in the current firmware, and I have no reason to think it is in the queue. Frame by frame stepping IS available.
--Bob

Bob, is that frame by frame in each direction?

And a second question: does this player have the ability to skip past all of the pre-movie fluff and just play the @#$% thing? (I had a Toshiba that could do that. Otherwise it was junk. But it was sure great to be able to insert a disk and start the movie NOW.)
post #282 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Frame-by-Frame both directions.

If the operation is not prohibited, you can skip previews. But unlike DVDs, you can't skip menu animations or other annoyances due to BD Java.
post #283 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Stephenson View Post

Alright I'm just going to come out and say this, but first

I'm really disappointed in the way that Oppo has rolled this out. When they first announced the early adoption program, I immediately sent in a request to be part of that program and purchase this machine. It may seem weird, but this player is THE PLAYER I've been waiting for since the birth of the Blu-ray format (based on having owned several Oppo players). Every other player I've bought has been a stop gap to get me to the player that Oppo would eventually release. I have been that dedicated to purchasing this player, sight unseen.

As soon as the EAP was mentioned, I immediately (like many others, I'm sure) emailed Oppo indicating my intent to purchase this player ASAP (we're talking, early December). To me, I viewed this in the same way I would a pre-order. It was my pledge that I would make a purchase, day one. I would be very angry if I preordered a player early, and then the company shipped them out lottery style. I don't view this any differently. Someone who may have become interested in this player only a few weeks ago might be getting one shipped to them today, while others like me who have been waiting for nearly three months for the player to become available are made to wait longer.

I also don't really like the voting aspect of the process. If Oppo has 250 units sitting around waiting to be released, then release them to the people who have indicated they want them. Now if the problem is that they can't make the units fast enough and 50 is all that exists right now, fine. But ship them as they become available; don't let them sit around giving the nifty fifty weeks to use one before extending the opportunity to a new group. I have to imagine that 99.9% of every problem this player had has already been scrutinized and eliminated by the beta group.

We've already seen (in this thread alone) a handful of people opt out for whatever reason. I don't have a problem with that, but I am a bit disappointed that the people who are probably most dedicated to buying this player and who jumped on this immediately were sort of disregarded just so that everything was fair. I may not have been in the first 50 requests to Oppo, but at least I would know I was moving up in the queue. The way it is, I have no idea whether I'm closer to getting the player I want or not. Then when they are officially released, do I have to place a new order and risk being shoved to the end of that queue as well?

I'm just getting really irritated and I don't like that this has become some sort of game.

I understand and feel your frustration. I returned a new Sony 350 that my family got me for Christmas hoping to have this player months ago.
But unfortunately we have to deal with the hand we're given fair or unfair.
post #284 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:

I'm really disappointed in the way that Oppo has rolled this out. When they first announced the early adoption program, I immediately sent in a request to be part of that program and purchase this machine. It may seem weird, but this player is THE PLAYER I've been waiting for since the birth of the Blu-ray format (based on having owned several Oppo players). Every other player I've bought has been a stop gap to get me to the player that Oppo would eventually release. I have been that dedicated to purchasing this player, sight unseen.

As soon as the EAP was mentioned, I immediately (like many others, I'm sure) emailed Oppo indicating my intent to purchase this player ASAP (we're talking, early December). To me, I viewed this in the same way I would a pre-order. It was my pledge that I would make a purchase, day one. I would be very angry if I preordered a player early, and then the company shipped them out lottery style. I don't view this any differently. Someone who may have become interested in this player only a few weeks ago might be getting one shipped to them today, while others like me who have been waiting for nearly three months for the player to become available are made to wait longer.

I also don't really like the voting aspect of the process. If Oppo has 250 units sitting around waiting to be released, then release them to the people who have indicated they want them. Now if the problem is that they can't make the units fast enough and 50 is all that exists right now, fine. But ship them as they become available; don't let them sit around giving the nifty fifty weeks to use one before extending the opportunity to a new group. I have to imagine that 99.9% of every problem this player had has already been scrutinized and eliminated by the beta group.

We've already seen (in this thread alone) a handful of people opt out for whatever reason. I don't have a problem with that, but I am a bit disappointed that the people who are probably most dedicated to buying this player and who jumped on this immediately were sort of disregarded just so that everything was fair. I may not have been in the first 50 requests to Oppo, but at least I would know I was moving up in the queue. The way it is, I have no idea whether I'm closer to getting the player I want or not. Then when they are officially released, do I have to place a new order and risk being shoved to the end of that queue as well?

I'm just getting really irritated and I don't like that this has become some sort of game.

I couldn't agree more! I am an avid OPPO supporter on these forums and others so please no "Just shove off then" comments.
post #285 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voigtskins View Post

I just looked on OPPO web site and it says mine was shipped at 3:30 their time.Hope to receive by next Tuesday or Wednesday.Wil post my views on unit.

I see that mine also shipped at 4:30, looks like I will get it on Monday.
post #286 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRinDenver View Post

One minute before the EAP notices were sent out, many people on this thread would have happily shelled out $600 for one of these babies.

Now, there is at least one poster who says if the official release versions are priced at one cent over $499, he won't be buying.

Good, logical decision. Rational thought process.

It means that those of us in line after him will move up one notch.

And you are welcomed to it. I would have paid more for it but with them playing favorites...its okay, you vote with your money and I will vote with mine. They set the price, and like I said any higher and my 983 and 980 go on the market and something else goes in my rack.

BTW, its the whole early adoption thing that I find ludicrous. I use and need DVD-A so I'm not even upset about not being one of the 50, its the whole idea of playing marketing games. I've gotten an email from Oppo this evening trying to explain how they came to this idea of EAP. I just still question the need for it, and the damage they have done with their customer base and future customer base. Obviously there are many that don't care but I think there are many that do.

I've always held Oppo in the highest regard but these antics seem more like like some third rate start up to me. By all means, buy them up and love 'em. I just have my standards - you have yours.

Wally
--------------------
post #287 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halsan40 View Post

I am in the same situation except I have a flawless Panasonic BD-55. I have been thinking about this all day since I read the e mail from Oppo this morning.
It is certainly exciting to be picked, but I am not sure what improvements I would actually be getting for the extra money.

Maybe the Beer Goddess will guide me tonight.

The Beer Goddess responded, she said get it!!

After checking how much I can get for my Panny BD-55 on E Bay, I purchased the Oppo.

I asked Cris Boylan from Big Picture Big Sound and he recommended that I get it and compare it to my Panny.

With Oppo's return policy, I would only be out $18.00 if I returned it. So what the heck. At 63, I wish I would grow out of this early adopter syndrome. Same as I did with with the Tosh XA1.

Hal
post #288 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geared4me View Post

I couldn't agree more! I am an avid OPPO supporter on these forums and others so please no "Just shove off then" comments.

I would have to guess that a great number of the people who responded first to Oppo's offer were people who own 1 (or several) other Oppo product. These are the people who support the company again and again. I would have liked to have seen a little loyalty in return, but I don't think they realized that the earliest respondents to their offer were of this group.

Look, I'm happy for those who got the email. I'm jealous and I don't begrudge you anything. I just hope that when Oppo gets around to shipping round two, they do the right thing this time and just start at the top of the list and work their way down.
post #289 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 05:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Keep on topic.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #290 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:

I understand your frustration. I am in the same boat.

I emailed Oppo about this and here is a quote from their reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppo View Post

Please understand that we are not intentionally making it hard to get
the product. It is just that we are not comfortable releasing
pre-production quality product to the general public. In the early days
of Blu-ray, many companies basically used their paying customers as beta
testers. We try not to repeat their mistakes. The player has been in
beta test for 5 months, and we will use the EAP to gauge whether it is
ready for the general public.

Thank you for your support

It appears to me that this is a very reasonable explanation, and I appreciate that they are taking their time to get things right. I was also told that they have far more than 150 units in their warehouse ready to ship. They are holding on to wait for the feedback from the early users and for the firmware development.
post #291 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been following this thread for a long time and have held off buying a player until this one came out. I signed up for the EAP and unfortunately wasn't selected. As such I'm now more interested in the length of time required for them to receive the 151st unit.

Of course not having a player hasn't stopped me from beginning my collection!

Grady
<<plain fan>>
post #292 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 06:40 PM

It's now "on the truck". Is it too early to post my Oppo DVD and Panny BD player up on ebay?
post #293 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain fan View Post

I've been following this thread for a long time and have held off buying a player until this one came out. I signed up for the EAP and unfortunately wasn't selected. As such I'm now more interested in the length of time required for them to receive the 151st unit.

Of course not having a player hasn't stopped me from beginning my collection!

You really can't ignore current sales of BR or SD titles, or other media if your a collector, the BDP-83 will impress you in each format.

Oppo Beta Group
post #294 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrawlr View Post

It's now "on the truck". Is it too early to post my Oppo DVD and Panny BD player up on ebay?

I just sold my 4 week old Samsung BD-P2500 today, and didn't even get the offer, hoping for two weeks from now.

-Tom
post #295 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapOrSnap View Post

I think OPPO would rather sell 5,000 units at $499.00 then 2,000 units at $699.00

True, but they'd also rather sell 3,000 units at $699 then 4,000 units at $499. It's all about determining where that line is.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #296 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 07:00 PM

Relying on a random sampling of opinion from a rather small group of fifty users with widely differing levels of expertise does not seem to me to be a reliable litmus test of whether this player is ready for wider distribution to thousands of users. I think this may partly explain why they plan to implement a sequential doubling of sample size about every two weeks. I look forward with great anticipation to reading the posts from the early owners, some of whom have already graciously offered to test and report back for us. Thank you Neuromancer for swiftly creating this thread and keeping us informed.
post #297 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Be interesting to see if any of the EAP OPPO'S end up on e-bay next week.
post #298 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapOrSnap View Post

For those who want OPPO to charge more then $599.00 please just send OPPO an extra check when placing your order for that extra amount. Not all of us are rolling in cash.

I think OPPO would rather sell 5,000 units at $499.00 then 2,000 units at $699.00

Not sure that they would... all depends on the profit margin, if OPPO gets $50 for each machine @ 499 then they would get $250 @699

5000 x 50 = $25000
2000 x 250 =$50000

which would you rather do?
post #299 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Beta Testers who also have the Pioneer 51FD.

Can you compare the two in terms of picture and sound quality.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #300 of 39363 Old 02-26-2009, 07:14 PM

RE: Originally Posted by Oppo
Please understand that we are not intentionally making it hard to get
the product. It is just that we are not comfortable releasing
pre-production quality product to the general public. In the early days
of Blu-ray, many companies basically used their paying customers as beta
testers. We try not to repeat their mistakes. The player has been in
beta test for 5 months, and we will use the EAP to gauge whether it is
ready for the general public.
Thank you for your support

I appreciate OPPO's desire to release the BDP-83 to the general public as error free as possible. But everyone who volunteered to be in EAP knows there maybe bugs and accept that risk. So I don't think OPPO's explanation is valid (IMHO).
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page