Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1004 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #30091 of 39505 Old 03-31-2010, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedocable View Post

Good work! You should send this information to Oppo, just in case.
Now, my newbie question: is there a fast way of reducing the "reference frames" of a file?

This is something I've been looking into but, unfortunately it appears that the only way to reduce the reference frames is to re-encode.

However, I know that some of the files I am having trouble with have an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 (which would be 1920x816 instead of 1920x1080), so the additional 264 pixels in the height is "wasted" in showing the black bars at the top and the bottom. When I get home I am going to try and resize the videos to 1920x816 without re-encoding and see if they'll play right on the Oppo. If that works, I won't have to worry about reducing the number of reference frames (unless it has more than 5). This wouldn't work though for videos with an aspect of 16:9 since you'd be chopping off the image at the top and the bottom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30092 of 39505 Old 03-31-2010, 10:12 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

I updated to beta fw yesterday. Elated at the SACD fix, although I only own a handful now, but more on the way.

What is the approximate time frame for the beta fix to become a general release? Will I need to update from beta to the general release?

There will likely be some additional changes between the Public Beta release and the Official release, so yes, you should plan on updating again.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30093 of 39505 Old 03-31-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

There will likely be some additional changes between the Public Beta release and the Official release, so yes, you should plan on updating again.
--Bob

Would be nice if they can support streaming more formats. The formats that are currently supported by the beta and the production code are pretty restrictive.

veni, vidi, vici
You can't understand something until you can measure it with numbers.
post #30094 of 39505 Old 03-31-2010, 11:57 AM

Guys with new firmware... i can playback mpeg2 transport stream files from my external hard disk which is fantastic.. i have a problem with audio though.. some files have DTS tracks.. which the PS3 outputs as LPCM when i check the display - and DTS comes up on my Denon 1910.. with these i get no sound from the OPPO... and when i press the audio button the remote.. there's no audio option.. i guess it just cant recognise the LPCM audio?

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Mick
post #30095 of 39505 Old 03-31-2010, 02:41 PM

My bad, the *#!& movie has 8 ref frames.
post #30096 of 39505 Old 03-31-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oferron View Post

Yeah, that would have been the problem for sure. It should be no more than 4. But I think you said you already re-encoded it right? If so, you should be good.
post #30097 of 39505 Old 03-31-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewman12 View Post

This is something I've been looking into but, unfortunately it appears that the only way to reduce the reference frames is to re-encode.

However, I know that some of the files I am having trouble with have an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 (which would be 1920x816 instead of 1920x1080), so the additional 264 pixels in the height is "wasted" in showing the black bars at the top and the bottom. When I get home I am going to try and resize the videos to 1920x816 without re-encoding and see if they'll play right on the Oppo. If that works, I won't have to worry about reducing the number of reference frames (unless it has more than 5). This wouldn't work though for videos with an aspect of 16:9 since you'd be chopping off the image at the top and the bottom.

Doesn't look like I'm going to be able to do this. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and re-encode.
post #30098 of 39505 Old 03-31-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Have you tried using the new BETA FIRMWARE released yesterday?
It's supposed to include some disc compatibility fixes, and while I don't know for sure, it may help with the Squeakquel disc.

Also see the FAQ for things to try if your disc won't play/load.

I loaded the new beta firmware, reset and tried Alvin & the Chipmunks/Squeakquel again, no luck. It takes a while to load, I can get the previews going but the menu never loads up, it's stuck at the circular loading graphic. I left an email to Oppo, anyone else have any issues with it?

Rony M.
post #30099 of 39505 Old 03-31-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oferron View Post

My bad, no prob, get real, down it.
post #30100 of 39505 Old 03-31-2010, 06:55 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by maalourm View Post

I loaded the new beta firmware, reset and tried Alvin & the Chipmunks/Squeakquel again, no luck. It takes a while to load, I can get the previews going but the menu never loads up, it's stuck at the circular loading graphic. I left an email to Oppo, anyone else have any issues with it?

Have you turned off BD-Live? It defaults to "on" when you do Reset Factory Defaults.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #30101 of 39505 Old 03-31-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Have you turned off BD-Live? It defaults to "on" when you do Reset Factory Defaults.

-Bill

It was on, I turned it off but no luck, now it's stuck, the only way to get it out is to turn the player off and hit eject while it's off. This sucks! Sprin break, took a couple of days off to spend with my little boy and we can't even watch it

Rony M.
post #30102 of 39505 Old 04-01-2010, 04:31 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

It was on, I turned it off but no luck, now it's stuck, the only way to get it out is to turn the player off and hit eject while it's off. This sucks! Sprin break, took a couple of days off to spend with my little boy and we can't even watch it

Is this the only disk that is misbehaving?

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #30103 of 39505 Old 04-01-2010, 05:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:

Just to review: remove the disc, turn off BD-Live, clear persistent storage, power off the player and try again. Be aware that some discs can take several minutes to load the menus, so do not interrupt it. If it doesn't load in 5 min then it's either a defective disc or there's some incompatibility with the player.
post #30104 of 39505 Old 04-01-2010, 07:18 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Just to review: remove the disc, turn off BD-Live, clear persistent storage, power off the player and try again. Be aware that some discs can take several minutes to load the menus, so do not interrupt it. If it doesn't load in 5 min then it's either a defective disc or there's some incompatibility with the player.

Greetings,

I initially had a similar issue with Alvin/Squeakquel. Turning BD-Live off allowed it to play so that I could review the film itself. That doesn't however solve the issue of not being able to take advantage of the BD-Live features on the disc. In order to thoroughly evaluate the disc I had to use my PS3. This is an annoyance that pops up with the Oppo and Fox discs more than it should. At this stage we should essentially be seeing flawless integration. As another example I popped in Notorious (Fox) to watch with my family and was prompted to install a BD-Live update. I opted to install it which only took a few seconds. The disc loaded and went to the disc menu just fine. I selected play, it began to load the movie and froze. Not only is this behavior frustrating but it can be embarrassing when you have to deal with this while folks sit there in the dark.

Not sure what the compatibility problem is but I wish that Oppo would find a definitive resolution. Having to go through the trouble of clearing persistent storage, turn off BD-Live etc. shouldn't be required at this stage of the game.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #30105 of 39505 Old 04-01-2010, 07:40 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

I initially had a similar issue with Alvin/Squeakquel. Turning BD-Live off allowed it to play so that I could review the film itself. That doesn't however solve the issue of not being able to take advantage of the BD-Live features on the disc. In order to thoroughly evaluate the disc I had to use my PS3. This is an annoyance that pops up with the Oppo and Fox discs more than it should. At this stage we should essentially be seeing flawless integration. As another example I popped in Notorious (Fox) to watch with my family and was prompted to install a BD-Live update. I opted to install it which only took a few seconds. The disc loaded and went to the disc menu just fine. I selected play, it began to load the movie and froze. Not only is this behavior frustrating but it can be embarrassing when you have to deal with this while folks sit there in the dark.

Not sure what the compatibility problem is but I wish that Oppo would find a definitive resolution. Having to go through the trouble of clearing persistent storage, turn off BD-Live etc. shouldn't be required at this stage of the game.

Regards,

OPPO gave some info on what happens behind the scenes: Why does the player need firmware updates before it will play certain Blu-ray discs?

If you look at the software forum, other players have had trouble with the Alvin BR. Blu-ray disc compatibility continues to be a moving target.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #30106 of 39505 Old 04-01-2010, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I respectfully submit that this "problem" is caused by inconsistent application of the "standards" (used very loosely, as it applies here) for authoring Blu-ray discs and their associated interfaces. I wish the studios and production houses would spend less effort trying to come up with new/flashy/fancy interfaces and such - and spend more effort on CONTENT and a consistent and universal menu/access system.

But, I guess that may be just too much to ask for!

However, until such time, there will always be problems with BD use. More problems with some players, less with others. Pointing fingers at Oppo, or any player manufacturer is not productive. Perhaps, the frustration and disappointment would be better directed at the real cause of the problem.

IMO.

-steve

"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #30107 of 39505 Old 04-01-2010, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post

I respectfully submit that this "problem" is caused by inconsistent application of the "standards" (used very loosely, as it applies here) for authoring Blu-ray discs and their associated interfaces. I wish the studios and production houses would spend less effort trying to come up with new/flashy/fancy interfaces and such - and spend more effort on CONTENT and a consistent and universal menu/access system.

BD-Live implementation, in particular, is the fault. Discs that require BD-Live content to load before the menu will load or the disc will play are broken IMHO and should not be released with that requirement.

It would be great if every player maker could keep ahead of every BD distributor, but as long as disc authoring is done with the only standard being: "Will it play on a PS3?", problems will always exist.
post #30108 of 39505 Old 04-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

But, I guess that may be just too much to ask for!

However, until such time, there will always be problems with BD use. More problems with some players, less with others. Pointing fingers at Oppo, or any player manufacturer is not productive. Perhaps, the frustration and disappointment would be better directed at the real cause of the problem.

IMO.

Greetings,

I concur and am not so much pointing fingers as I am questioning the reason that this continuing problem seems to revolve around this player and discs from Fox. I have had little to no problems with any other combination save these. If this disc will load trouble free on one player then there should be a way to resolve it so that all players are able to function accordingly. IMO.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #30109 of 39505 Old 04-01-2010, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Ralph,

Thanks for replying. I wasn't aiming my "pointing fingers" comment directly at you. Rather, more in the generic sense of the matter.

One of the more frustrating experiences I have with BD is on Warner titles, that do not allow you to at least skip (|>>) through the previews and get to the main menu.

My biggest frustration (other than discs that don't work well) is not being able to just "PLAY THE DAMN MOVIE". I don't want to watch previews, commentaries, BD Live or any such nonsense.

Is it so hard to to pop in the disc, and have the feature start playing with the HD codec as the default audio? Argh!

We watched Sherlock Holmes the other night and I had to fast forward through myriad previews, warning and other BS to get to the main menu. Pissed us all of - big time

-steve

"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #30110 of 39505 Old 04-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

BD-Live implementation, in particular, is the fault. Discs that require BD-Live content to load before the menu will load or the disc will play are broken IMHO and should not be released with that requirement.

It would be great if every player maker could keep ahead of every BD distributor, but as long as disc authoring is done with the only standard being: "Will it play on a PS3?", problems will always exist.

I would suspect that a substantial percentage of the members of this forum would be very happy if they would just drop BD Live from Blu-ray discs entirely! Most of us just want to put in a movie, press the play button and watch the movie! Is that too much to ask? If Blu-ray is ever going to be much more than a niche format used only by audio/video enthusiasts and reach the mainstream populace, it is going to have to become much more user friendly and work more consistently. The average Joe has neither the time nor the technical expertise to fiddle with his player/disc when he sits down with his family to watch a movie. It's a shame really that many people do not know how good their HD TV's can look because they will never play a Blu-ray disc on it!
post #30111 of 39505 Old 04-01-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:

Stupid question but how do you "clear persistent storage", I assumed turning it off took care of that which I did. I waited 15 minutes for it to load and finally gave up.

Rony M.
post #30112 of 39505 Old 04-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeemer View Post

i would suspect that a substantial percentage of the members of this forum would be very happy if they would just drop bd live from blu-ray discs entirely! Most of us just want to put in a movie, press the play button and watch the movie! Is that too much to ask? if blu-ray is ever going to be much more than a niche format used only by audio/video enthusiasts and reach the mainstream populace, it is going to have to become much more user friendly and work more consistently. The average joe has neither the time nor the technical expertise to fiddle with his player/disc when he sits down with his family to watch a movie. it's a shame really that many people do not know how good their hd tv's can look because they will never play a blu-ray disc on it!

+1

The studios/CE companies also need to get rid of the DRM/HDCP rubbish.

Denon X4000: Yamaha AS500;TS500;CDS300: Pioneer BDP62FD;BDP23FD;DV58AV;DV610: Panasonic DMP-BDT500; Sony BDP-S790; Samsung PS60E6500
post #30113 of 39505 Old 04-01-2010, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Stupid question but how do you "clear persistent storage", I assumed turning it off took care of that which I did. I waited 15 minutes for it to load and finally gave up.

FAQ
post #30114 of 39505 Old 04-01-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:

One of the more frustrating experiences I have with BD is on Warner titles, that do not allow you to at least skip (|>>) through the previews and get to the main menu.

My biggest frustration (other than discs that don't work well) is not being able to just "PLAY THE **** MOVIE". I don't want to watch previews, commentaries, BD Live or any such nonsense.

I had the same problem with the Oppo when watching "The Blind Side." First one I couldn't at least use "skip" on. Very frustrating.

If someone would make a hardware mod for the 83 (that would not be incompatible with the multi-region mod -- maybe the same people could make it) that would allow skipping of all this, I'd be willing to pay just as much as I did for the region mod, since I'm sure I'll never get a firmware release from Oppo (or any other major vendor, I'm not singling Oppo out here) that will fix this problem.

Back when this was a problem with DVDs, my Apex, which coincidentally was the first multi-region DVD player I had, would allow skipping about anything. And even on the very few discs where it failed, you could turn off playback control, then turn it back on and the disc would go to the main menu. Definitely wasn't the best player I ever had for PAL conversion playback quality, by any means, but its functionality in the "prohibited operations" area was unsurpassed by any other player I have had. Being a Chinese product has at least some advantages.

Dave Barnhart
post #30115 of 39505 Old 04-01-2010, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbii View Post

If someone would make a hardware mod for the 83 (that would not be incompatible with the multi-region mod -- maybe the same people could make it) that would allow skipping of all this, I'd be willing to pay just as much as I did for the region mod, since I'm sure I'll never get a firmware release from Oppo (or any other major vendor, I'm not singling Oppo out here) that will fix this problem.

There's no such thing as a hardware or firmware mod to eliminate JAVA programming. The player is running a JAVA OS over it's native OS and has no control over things like PUOs and navigation. Good luck getting the studios to eliminate JAVA or even remove some of it's playback control features.
post #30116 of 39505 Old 04-01-2010, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:

So what happens if you cannot (or choose not to) have the player connected to the Internet? Will it fail to play these titles at all?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #30117 of 39505 Old 04-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

So what happens if you cannot (or choose not to) have the player connected to the Internet? Will it fail to play these titles at all?

As long as BD live is disabled it shouldn't be a problem.
post #30118 of 39505 Old 04-01-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:

There's no such thing as a hardware or firmware mod to eliminate JAVA programming. The player is running a JAVA OS over it's native OS and has no control over things like PUOs and navigation. Good luck getting the studios to eliminate JAVA or even remove some of it's playback control features.

Well, I certainly don't expect the studios to eliminate java or remove playback control, but a third party firmware mod or device that would disallow the java on the disc from starting and use a bare-bones program to allow direct playback of the main feature (similar to the way VLC or Handbrake for extract acts on a computer with DVDs) would not be impossible to program (just as there are already MKV programs that can extract the main feature from a Blu-ray). Might be tough to do on the 83.

I'm sure the likelihood of getting something like this is slim, so it may come down to ripping BDs and playing them with a dedicated theater PC or something similar to avoid the hassle at the beginning of a movie. Such a program as I am suggesting would certainly be easier to do on a computer vs. on the BDP 83. Won't prevent me from wishing for it, though, especially if more and more titles come with previews that can't be skipped (or worse, if FF is also prevented).

I'm getting a little far into speculation, here, though, so back to what actually exists on the 83 and how to fix/use/work with it.

Dave Barnhart
post #30119 of 39505 Old 04-01-2010, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbii View Post

Well, I certainly don't expect the studios to eliminate java or remove playback control, but a third party firmware mod or device that would disallow the java on the disc from starting and use a bare-bones program to allow direct playback of the main feature (similar to the way VLC or Handbrake for extract acts on a computer with DVDs) would not be impossible to program (just as there are already MKV programs that can extract the main feature from a Blu-ray). Might be tough to do on the 83.

Licensing would make that impossible.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #30120 of 39505 Old 04-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Ralph,

Thanks for replying. I wasn't aiming my "pointing fingers" comment directly at you. Rather, more in the generic sense of the matter.

My biggest frustration (other than discs that don't work well) is not being able to just "PLAY THE DAMN MOVIE". I don't want to watch previews, commentaries, BD Live or any such nonsense.

Is it so hard to to pop in the disc, and have the feature start playing with the HD codec as the default audio? Argh!

We watched Sherlock Holmes the other night and I had to fast forward through myriad previews, warning and other BS to get to the main menu. Pissed us all of - big time

Greetings,

Steve, I haven't this experience with Warner titles or any that I can think of for that matter. Yes, you can't just press top menu (like with Disney titles for instance) and get to the main menu but pressing the skip button allows me to get to the main menu in just a few seconds.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page