Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1030 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #30871 of 39593 Old 04-23-2010, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboi View Post

No, been here for ages. I do think about going back home, but I like the sun way too much (and the warm weather)!

Question: If I do decide to update the firmware one day, do I need to start with the December update (the one that added Blutv and the DNLA features) or can I just update with the latest? I know that update was a rather big one and changed quite a bit on the player.

Just go straight to the latest FW as all updates are cumulative.

My Home Theatre site + Blog

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30872 of 39593 Old 04-23-2010, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon (Home Farm, Emmerdale, Yorks)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by djos View Post

Just go straight to the latest FW as all updates are cumulative.

Will do. Thanks!
post #30873 of 39593 Old 04-23-2010, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM2008 View Post

My Oppo player is experiencing the same problem. So I first try to update firmware via network cable and it did not allow me to update firmware. Second I tried to use the ubs stick to download the latest firmware form Oppo website and same issue.

The solution - I went to the first page on this thread here and download
UPDATED 03/29/2010 - BDP-83 50-0323B Firmware Released

plugged in the ubs stick to Oppo player and it updated the firmware - reset all default setting. And WOW The movie is incredible.

Yes, I would also be extremely upset if I did not get this to work since this is such an incredible and everyone is waiting to see it on bluray. Luckily this work out for me and hope it works for others. If you only watch one movie this year, AVATAR is it. This by far the best movie I have watched EVER..... I am already anxious to watching this again.

Folks:
I am also unable to play Avatar and am trying to burn a disc. However, the latest firmware version for the 83 is Jan 5th - the version in the above quote is Mar 29 (and I believe is a beta)... Which version do I need to be able to play Avatar?
Thanks in advance.

mnilan
post #30874 of 39593 Old 04-23-2010, 06:00 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnilan View Post

Folks:
I am also unable to play Avatar and am trying to burn a disc. However, the latest firmware version for the 83 is Jan 5th - the version in the above quote is Mar 29 (and I believe is a beta)... Which version do I need to be able to play Avatar?
Thanks in advance.

Try the beta.

-Bill
post #30875 of 39593 Old 04-23-2010, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Bill:
Okay, thanks.

mnilan
post #30876 of 39593 Old 04-23-2010, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Been working on this since yesterday I will try to disable BD-Live and reload beta firmware seems most are having luck doing this also has a problem with Inglorious Bastards playing and Twilight any one else run into this. Is this the correct ver. # Main Version: BDP83-50-0323B

KJ
post #30877 of 39593 Old 04-23-2010, 06:20 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohn View Post

Been working on this since yesterday I will try to disable BD-Live and reload beta firmware seems most are having luck

How is it failing? People are reporting (with different player models) very long load times even when it does work.

Quote:

doing this also has a problem with Inglorious Bastards playing and Twilight any one else run into this.

Playing or not playing?

Quote:

Is this the correct ver. # Main Version: BDP83-50-0323B

Yes. Make sure the other firmware numbers match as well: loader and MCU.

-Bill
post #30878 of 39593 Old 04-23-2010, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

I have a questions for some people.
with the choice of HDMI or analog, what do you prefer or use?
I was using HDMI but I found out that the analog settings were much better. I am trying that out now.

anyone else?

Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiredale View Post

This question doesn't make much since unless you factor in the DAC of your preamp or AVR as a comparison. The analog outputs of the OPPO use the internal Cirrus CS4398 vs. multi-channel Cirrus CS4382A DAC for analog output. In my case I connect to an Integra DTC 9.8 which uses Burr Brown 192 kHz/24-bit DAC's for all it's channels. I wouldn't even begin to mess with all the cables to do 7.1 analog from the OPPO but comparing the two channel stereo output would be doable. I can't imagine that the OPPO's DACs are as good as Burr Brown, but only a test would determine that.

If you see a huge benefit from the analog outputs of the OPPO then your preamp must be a weak link.

Eiredale,

What about his comments that don't make since? If he preferred the analog from the Oppo vs what he was hearing through HDMI, then it doesn't matter what DACs are in his AVR or preamp. He made the comparison in his setup and he preferred the Oppo.

The poster has to trust his ears and he heard much better from the analog in HIS setup. You may hear something different when and if you do your own comparison, but I suspect you're going to prefer the Burr Brown DACs in your Integra. This is the subjective nature of audio and there is no right or wrong answer.

Let's not leave it to your imagination. Do the test and then get back to us. What Burr Brown DACs are in your Integra?

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #30879 of 39593 Old 04-23-2010, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Bill et al.:
I never got to the beta. I had already burned the Jan 5th firmware upgrade to a disc and so I thought I'd try the official release first. Voila! Plays Avatar fine. So for now, "if it ain't broke" I'll leave well enough alone.
Thanks again.

mnilan
post #30880 of 39593 Old 04-23-2010, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

How is it failing? People are reporting (with different player models) very long load times even when it does work.

Playing or not playing?

Yes. Make sure the other firmware numbers match as well: loader and MCU.

-Bill

Not playing.

KJ
post #30881 of 39593 Old 04-23-2010, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

The damned ads that the proprietorship of the AVSForum have started running in the right hand margin of the threads are much more annoying than anything Will Ferrell has done!

Sounds like you need to start using Firefox with the AdBlock Plus plug-in. I never see ads in the AVS threads!
post #30882 of 39593 Old 04-23-2010, 06:39 AM

Anyone have an estimated timeframe on when an official firmware is released after the beta firmware has been released?

While I would like to go and rent/buy the Avatar blu-ray, I would prefer to just stick to updating my player with official firmware releases
post #30883 of 39593 Old 04-23-2010, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohn View Post

Not playing.

UPDATE!! Loaded Beta firmware disabled BD-Live and it works Avatar looks awesome will check out whole movie tonight.

KJ
post #30884 of 39593 Old 04-23-2010, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I don't understand. Last night I put my OPPO on about midnight and was notified of a new update. I updated and it downloaded super fast. Why's everyone having an issue?

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
post #30885 of 39593 Old 04-23-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:

Bill et al.:
I never got to the beta. I had already burned the Jan 5th firmware upgrade to a disc and so I thought I'd try the official release first. Voila! Plays Avatar fine. So for now, "if it ain't broke" I'll leave well enough alone.
Thanks again.

hmmm.., interesting. Anyone else able to play Avatar without the beta firmware? Or this simply a hit or miss thing?
post #30886 of 39593 Old 04-23-2010, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon (Home Farm, Emmerdale, Yorks)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorderl View Post

hmmm.., interesting. Anyone else able to play Avatar without the beta firmware? Or this simply a hit or miss thing?

Avatar played just fine in my machine. I haven't updated since the September release.
post #30887 of 39593 Old 04-23-2010, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Dammit I'm suffering the same problem! What could be more maddening than sitting down to watch the most anticipated Blu-Ray release ever and
your player refusing to play it!?!

R Harkness,

What movie are you referring to?

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #30888 of 39593 Old 04-23-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:

Folks:
Thanks in advance.

I used the beta firmware because that the only one I saw and just want to test to see if it works. I did turn off bd live and it just work!
post #30889 of 39593 Old 04-23-2010, 07:18 AM
KSE

For those who mentioned it, BD-Live was and always has been disabled on my machine. It won't play Avatar and won't accept an upgrade.

I will contact Oppo when they open.
post #30890 of 39593 Old 04-23-2010, 07:31 AM

On latest beta F/W, Avatar blu-ray played without error. All is well.

BD live = always on
post #30891 of 39593 Old 04-23-2010, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSE View Post

OK guys, need a hand here. Sat down to watch Avatar and got hung up. The disc loads and begins to play, I het as far as the '20th Century Fox' screen then it goes black and the display on the player says 'TOP MENU' and there is no repsonse from either the buttons on the player or the remote. Tried powering off and unplugging. No dice.

Assuming this is firmware related, I successfully downloaded the latest firmware version via-USB, went to the player to upgrade firmware and get this on the screen, "Cannot find a valid firmware upgrade. The main firmware has not been upgraded." I then tried the beta version for the heck of it and got the same response.

Oppo is closed, so I am hoping one of you resident experts can help get me on track.

I will add, I bought this player the end of December and have never upgraded the firmware. Why? Because every single disc I have ever thrown at the thing has worked flawlessly! LOL.

TIA!

Exactly the same problem though I can't even get to the Fox logo before it goes black and sticks on Top Menu. USB update no go as above too. Will check for FAT formatting and try beta. Haven't touched firmware since buying months ago because everything else has worked.

Reformatted USB for FAT, tried again w/Beta firmware, no go on the update. BD Live off, USB stick in on start, and I just get a USB icon upper right with player display hung on HELLO. Anyone?
post #30892 of 39593 Old 04-23-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Eiredale,

What about his comments that don't make since? If he preferred the analog from the Oppo vs what he was hearing through HDMI, then it doesn't matter what DACs are in his AVR or preamp. He made the comparison in his setup and he preferred the Oppo.

The poster has to trust his ears and he heard much better from the analog in HIS setup. You may hear something different when and if you do your own comparison, but I suspect you're going to prefer the Burr Brown DACs in your Integra. This is the subjective nature of audio and there is no right or wrong answer.

Let's not leave it to your imagination. Do the test and then get back to us. What Burr Brown DACs are in your Integra?

Respectfully,
Willie

You act like his big brother. I was making a point that without the preamp info, there is no answer. There are a 1000 different preamps out there some of which even use the same DACs as the OPPO, but that won't tell you everything because they probably sound different due to internal circuitry.

I was offering up the information (which he might not have known) that the analog and HDMI are processed by different DACs so they probably will sound different. He did respond back with: "the onkyo 605. its a fine receiver. sometimes it a setting or the volume is a bit low when using HDMI.. I have used HDMI for a while. I am a bit familar with it.. not alot of experence with analog. I did try it out." so what he might be hearing is nothing more than gain. Fine. Others with an Onkyo 605 can now get back to him with their findings.

I offered up the Integra DTC 9.8 as a comparison for others. Don't know what the DAC models are, but I use it in my home theater not for critical listening. I'll do the comparison some time for grins.

And finally, if DACs and circuitry don't matter, why did you cough up another $400 for the 83SE to get the ESS Technology ES9016?
post #30893 of 39593 Old 04-23-2010, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I wrote to oppo about the analog and HDMI differnt sound issue. they said that i probably have to turn up the volume with the HDMI a bit to hear the same from the analog.
its interesting never the less. I did do that when playing avatar this morning. it did sound better with the HDMI. still always learning.
thanks for the imput.
Jacob
post #30894 of 39593 Old 04-23-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchinshouse View Post

On latest beta F/W, Avatar blu-ray played without error. All is well.

BD live = always on

Latest F/W, BD live = off.

Great eye candy movie!
post #30895 of 39593 Old 04-23-2010, 08:31 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblnr View Post

Exactly the same problem though I can't even get to the Fox logo before it goes black and sticks on Top Menu. USB update no go as above too. Will check for FAT formatting and try beta. Haven't touched firmware since buying months ago because everything else has worked.

Reformatted USB for FAT, tried again w/Beta firmware, no go on the update. BD Live off, USB stick in on start, and I just get a USB icon upper right with player display hung on HELLO. Anyone?

Try restarting the player without the USB stick. Make sure it has booted up properly (remote works, etc). When you insert the stick the player is supposed to detect the presence of firmware and bring up the install dialog automatically. If it doesn't, try the firmware upgrade option in Setup.

If still no go I would try the general cleanup procedure here: What do I do if a Blu-ray disc will not load or play, or if it freezes the player?

If still no good I would try the CD firmware method.

-Bill
post #30896 of 39593 Old 04-23-2010, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiredale View Post

You act like his big brother. I was making a point that without the preamp info, there is no answer. There are a 1000 different preamps out there some of which even use the same DACs as the OPPO, but that won't tell you everything because they probably sound different due to internal circuitry.

I was offering up the information (which he might not have known) that the analog and HDMI are processed by different DACs so they probably will sound different. He did respond back with: "the onkyo 605. its a fine receiver. sometimes it a setting or the volume is a bit low when using HDMI.. I have used HDMI for a while. I am a bit familar with it.. not alot of experence with analog. I did try it out." so what he might be hearing is nothing more than gain. Fine. Others with an Onkyo 605 can now get back to him with their findings.

I offered up the Integra DTC 9.8 as a comparison for others. Don't know what the DAC models are, but I use it in my home theater not for critical listening. I'll do the comparison some time for grins.

And finally, if DACs and circuitry don't matter, why did you cough up another $400 for the 83SE to get the ESS Technology ES9016?

Eiredale,

I'm not his big brother and I stand by everything in my previous post.. I never said that DACs and circuitry don't matter. Read my previous post a little slower. Also, I didn’t cough up $400.00 for 83SE I only paid an additional $299.00 for the upgrade, but I don’t know what that has to do with the discussion. This was done to improve the analog stage of my player, which it did in spades. Don't concern yourself with my spending habits.

The OPs original comment was "I was using HDMI but I found out that the analog settings were much better." I took this to mean that the OP preferred analog over HDMI. So regardless of the DACs or circuitry the OP liked the analog much better. Period! Do you think knowing the equipment in the chain is going to change what the OP heard or prefers? Maybe it was just gain, but he still preferred the analog vs the HDMI through his Onkyo 605. Also, what others with an Onkyo 605 may or may not be hearing has nothing to do with what the OP heard in his setup.

I have my 83SE going through a Marantz SR7002. Do you think another owner with this combination will hear what I’m hearing over analog?

Respectfully,
Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Sony BDP-S790

post #30897 of 39593 Old 04-23-2010, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 353
The only issue I had when checking some scenes on Avatar last night is that I
found the image a lot more "juddery" and blurred than I can remember with any other Blu-Ray on my system.

My projector is the JVC RS20. I put on some other Blu-Ray movies after Avatar and noticed no similar issues.

I'm still trying to figure that one out.

I updated to the Jan firmware last night (that's the one offered on the Oppo site). Is it possible the firmware update would introduce any such issues with Avatar?

Thanks,
post #30898 of 39593 Old 04-23-2010, 11:36 AM

If you would spend a little more time reading his posts rather than taking mine out of context and trying to rattle my cage you would be better served. His last post:

"I wrote to oppo about the analog and HDMI differnt sound issue. they said that i probably have to turn up the volume with the HDMI a bit to hear the same from the analog. its interesting never the less. I did do that when playing avatar this morning. it did sound better with the HDMI. still always learning. thanks for the imput."

He likes HDMI better now... end of discussion... PERIOD!
post #30899 of 39593 Old 04-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Talked to tech support -- the Avatar issue for me is two-fold. First, you need the new firmware -- I downloaded the beta. Second, you can't format your USB stick w/a Mac, even if you do so in the FAT MS-DOS format. CD/DVDs must be burned via the Mac's Disk Utility program -- you can't burn a disc image in the typical way. Wouldn't surprise that this is addressed somewhere in the 1000+ pages of this thread.
post #30900 of 39593 Old 04-23-2010, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblnr View Post

Talked to tech support -- the Avatar issue for me is two-fold. First, you need the new firmware -- I downloaded the beta. Second, you can't format your USB stick w/a Mac, even if you do so in the FAT MS-DOS format. CD/DVDs must be burned via the Mac's Disk Utility program -- you can't burn a disc image in the typical way. Wouldn't surprise that this is addressed somewhere in the 1000+ pages of this thread.

I thought the MAC format issue was addressed. I had no problem formatting my USB stick to FAT32 on my Mac and using it many times to update the Oppo BD-83 firmware. Perhaps the techie you spoke to was not aware that this issue has been addressed.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page