post #301 of 39495 Old 02-26-2009, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapOrSnap View Post

I appreciate OPPO's desire to release the BDP-83 to the general public as error free as possible. But everyone who volunteered to be in EAP knows there maybe bugs and accept that risk. So I don't think OPPO's explanation is valid (IMHO).

On the contrary, I think the fact that the EAP customers are clear on the status of the player's development - and that they can expect to see problems - is part of the point. They are getting a wider sampling of users and environments by offering people the option to buy the player early in spite of the fact that they are still refining the firmware, and using those additional people's feedback to help determine when to release the player to the public. And those consumers are going in fully aware that they are only getting the player early because it's not done, rather than getting it early under the misconception that it's done when the manufacturer knows it's not but wants to hit a pre-determined delivery date.

Another reason to keep the EAP small is support: they can expect questions, comments, concerns, and assorted other chatter via email and phone at a much higher volume relative to the number of units sold under these circumstances, so keeping it small allows them to keep a good handle on the situation.

Now, to jump to a separate (but still relevant) topic, I've received OPPO's blessing to post an EAP-oriented version of the player review that I've been developing over the last few months. That review can be found here. It will be edited over the weeks ahead as the EAP progresses.

gonk
Beta tester:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 39495 Old 02-26-2009, 07:33 PM

/snip/

Thanx for the excellent reviews from our trusted and incredibly patient members.

EDIT: Thanx also to the lucky that have offered their Q&A willingness, and have posted their system equipment!

I cannot begin to understand the number of posters unable to imagine the outcry if the very same luck of the lottery had been used to 'serve' the first fifty people that learned of the EAP. Hope oppo chooses $599, at the risk of sounding elitist, thinning the herd sounds promising.

"look, I can't think of another way to say this... when she said 'ohh, that is So Mac'...
welll... I'm pretty sure she didn't mean that as a compliment, ok?"

carpe` cervesi
knf
post #303 of 39495 Old 02-26-2009, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

On the contrary, I think the fact that the EAP customers are clear on the status of the player's development - and that they can expect to see problems - is part of the point. They are getting a wider sampling of users and environments by offering people the option to buy the player early in spite of the fact that they are still refining the firmware, and using those additional people's feedback to help determine when to release the player to the public.

Another reason to keep the EAP small is support: they can expect questions, comments, concerns, and assorted other chatter via email and phone at a much higher volume relative to the number of units sold under these circumstances, so keeping it small allows them to keep a good handle on the situation.

Now, to jump to a separate (but still relevant) topic, I've received OPPO's blessing to post an EAP-oriented version of the player review that I've been developing over the last few months. That review can be found here. It will be edited over the weeks ahead as the EAP progresses.

Review looks really good Gonk. Great that you could post it now.

Oppo Beta Group
post #304 of 39495 Old 02-26-2009, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Beta Testers who also have the Pioneer 51FD.

Can you compare the two in terms of picture and sound quality.

Great question. Any one?
post #305 of 39495 Old 02-26-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:

That's a good point.
post #306 of 39495 Old 02-26-2009, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:

I've received OPPO's blessing to post an EAP-oriented version of the player review that I've been developing over the last few months. That review can be found here. It will be edited over the weeks ahead as the EAP progresses.

Thanks for the review. I will put a link on the first post.

Just a note for anyone who reads the review: The green bag in one of the photos is now black. Scary changes!
post #307 of 39495 Old 02-26-2009, 07:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 133
VERY nice review thus far Gonk!
You ARE the man... .

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #308 of 39495 Old 02-26-2009, 08:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim HTPC View Post

Anyone with a Lumagen Radiance XE who will have the new OPPO; please let us know how it works. Any bugs, etc. Thanks

I have the XE and it works fine with my Sony 550. Unfortunately, I did not get in on this round. Will report as soon as I do.
post #309 of 39495 Old 02-26-2009, 08:15 PM

gonk, great review, Thanks!

The end of March can't get here soon enough.
post #310 of 39495 Old 02-26-2009, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Great read and just the kind of info I was looking for. Thank you!
post #311 of 39495 Old 02-26-2009, 08:25 PM

Could it be Oppo wanted a variety of EAP types; those who signed up on the first day might not create the diversity the company needed to determine how ready the player will be for the market.
I think we forget in our waiting that the EAP feedback should help the company find out what they need to know, not please the first 50. Just an opinion.
post #312 of 39495 Old 02-26-2009, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe I missed this somewhere but is there a way for set the oppo ti default and play the lossless track on BDs so you don need to manually select it?
post #313 of 39495 Old 02-26-2009, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

I sympathize and somewhat agree. Instead of dispersing units in a first come first served manner Oppo turned it into a lottery. If that happened to me while standing in a line waiting to be served I'd be fuming. That said, I can live with the process thus far but if they choose the lottery method of dispersing released units they'd rot in hell before I buy one. I certainly hope (and expect) released units to be sold on a first come first served basis and IMO that means those of us who signed up for the EAP on day one should be in the front of the line.

I also think that the first 50 people should have gotten the players who signed up for the EAP, but for some reason that was not done. I am sure that all the faithful customers on the EAP list will have the same benefits.
post #314 of 39495 Old 02-26-2009, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

Maybe I missed this somewhere but is there a way for set the oppo ti default and play the lossless track on BDs so you don need to manually select it?

I don't think that would be possible with any player. It's disc dependent.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #315 of 39495 Old 02-26-2009, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Is the user manual available anywhere? Couldn't find it at Oppo's website. I anxious to read it like the review says.
post #316 of 39495 Old 02-26-2009, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rveras View Post

Is the user manual available anywhere? Couldn't find it at Oppo's website. I anxious to read it like the review says.

The User's Manual should be available in the coming days, as the printed manual has become obsolete due to very recent firmware enhancements.

Check the First post for all major updates. All major updates are bolded in red and listed in Date Modified order.
post #317 of 39495 Old 02-26-2009, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Will post my thoughts and comments after spending some time with my new addition!
post #318 of 39495 Old 02-26-2009, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
post #319 of 39495 Old 02-26-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_n_Me View Post

If the price is one cent over $499 when this unit is EVER released, then Oppo will have lost a long term customer. I've been with them since the beginning and still own two of their players but the way they handled the Early Adoption Program and beta testing really leaves me cold. I'll spend twice the amount of an Oppo to buy a competing Blu-Ray unit if the price is $499.01 or higher. Might even have a couple up for sale too.

Its getting to where all the technology in the world won't make up for the thinking and logic behind this unit's pre-release marketing. They are real close to the sort of place I just don't care to do business with.

A while back when I called Oppo to ask about the BDP-83, I had a chat with their guy about the price. I was told that the price range was $500-$600, and they would try as much as possible to stay on the low side. The guy said that some of the cost analysis had not been completed and thus a range thrown out. The EAP price kind of echoes on his word of staying on the low side. I will probably quote your post here and call/email them tomorrow to get a more certain answer. I believe that they will listen to their customers.
post #320 of 39495 Old 02-26-2009, 09:34 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:

Thank you for the link. I appreciate it.

Matt
post #321 of 39495 Old 02-26-2009, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
can anyone yet answer the SACD volume issue, ie., whether or not there's a gain change when switching between DSD and PCM for SACD output like there is on the 980? And what does their AVR show on display when sending DSD for frequency?

Read
!
post #322 of 39495 Old 02-26-2009, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

SACD DSD when converted to PCM is still 24-bit/88.2KHz. This is the nominal cycling rate for DSD to PCM conversions.

And the gain difference is the difference between bit stream and decoded audio. I will confirm this tomorrow with some SPL measurements.
post #323 of 39495 Old 02-26-2009, 09:59 PM

So is the EAP closed to Canadians at each stage? Should I just not bother caring until the official release? Just curious.

KrisM
post #324 of 39495 Old 02-26-2009, 10:02 PM

What happened to DivX support? I don't see it
post #325 of 39495 Old 02-26-2009, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisM View Post

So is the EAP closed to Canadians at each stage?

We do not know what, if anything, will change as the Early Adoption Program continues. It would probably be safe to assume that at least for the first two waves, Alaska, Hawaii, and Canada are excluded from candidacy.
post #326 of 39495 Old 02-26-2009, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonI View Post

What happened to DivX support? I don't see it

DivX and XviD are supported. They are listed on the first post, but not all features are finalized, so they are not listed on the Preliminary Specifications list on OPPO's website.
post #327 of 39495 Old 02-26-2009, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

On the contrary, I think the fact that the EAP customers are clear on the status of the player's development - and that they can expect to see problems - is part of the point. They are getting a wider sampling of users and environments by offering people the option to buy the player early in spite of the fact that they are still refining the firmware, and using those additional people's feedback to help determine when to release the player to the public. And those consumers are going in fully aware that they are only getting the player early because it's not done, rather than getting it early under the misconception that it's done when the manufacturer knows it's not but wants to hit a pre-determined delivery date.

Well written review. But only a 40" max display? A limiting factor?

With due respect, a question that must be asked.

Joe
post #328 of 39495 Old 02-26-2009, 10:18 PM

OOP's never mind. I just read the review
post #329 of 39495 Old 02-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

Unfortunately no. The Blu-Ray spec puts the disc in control of what gets played by default.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #330 of 39495 Old 02-26-2009, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yet another "feature" of BD Java.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version