Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1120 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #33571 of 39352 Old 09-06-2010, 10:59 PM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post

If playing on your Oppo, make sure you have the region-mod kit. Some are coded region B.
Amazon Uk have a fast service as well. In New Zealand they deliever in 4 days Amazon US takes 12-20 days.
Still better than the local releases. We still don't have "The Losers" and "Law abiding" has just been released. Thats why I buy from overseas.

My oppo region mod has paid for itself I reckon ;first with amazon.us ;now thanks to the exchange rate amazon uk . Pays to check the audio tracks though amazon.us sometimes have 7.1 lossless vs 5.1 . The uk delivery time to aus depends on if its an amazon reseller but is still quick on average if you tick the ' multiple delivery is ok ' box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #33572 of 39352 Old 09-07-2010, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Amazon UK does not carry the French Blu-Ray copy of Open Range. Amazon FR does but I'm guessing the shipping would eat up a good part of the savings. That, and I don't read French. My post was just for one title, however, and your suggestion was a good one.
post #33573 of 39352 Old 09-07-2010, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

A "don't make some of the buttons work" setting? No.

Is this the OPPO remote?

Did it used to work properly?

There are three different remote code sets, but if this is wrong I don't think you'll get any function on the player.

Review this section of the FAQ: Why is my remote not working correctly?

-Bill

Unplugged and reset factory default settings and it now plays movies from the menu screen. Thanks
post #33574 of 39352 Old 09-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post

If playing on your Oppo, make sure you have the region-mod kit. Some are coded region B.

I have purchased from Amazon US, UK, Germany and France. All work good in the Oppo.

Just make sure the foreign language films have the Subs you need (English??)

I have come accross the occasional film that is not done in 1080P 24Hz, they can be a little jerky. Some 1080i and 1080P 50Hz. Cargo and Max Manus come to mind.

Amazon Uk have a fast service as well. In New Zealand they deliever in 4 days Amazon US takes 12-20 days.

Still better than the local releases. We still don't have "The Losers" and "Law abiding" has just been released. Thats why I buy from overseas.

Ta

Dono

Thanks for the info. Appreciated. I'll consider the OPPO region free mod if more BluRay versions of movies that I want like Pulp Fiction do not eventually come out here in the USA.
post #33575 of 39352 Old 09-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Been awhile since I posted, but the new Beta firmware still has SACD inter-track clicks as noted by others recently as well.

Oppo Support recommends going back to the last Official release which is supposed to FUBAR the time counter and may crash on some SACDs. Before I do that, has anybody had the May version crash on them? And how bad is the counter error? I skipped that version going right to the current Beta.

"The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow."
post #33576 of 39352 Old 09-07-2010, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 77
It never crashed on me. I didn't really care about the counter error. More a nuisance than a real problem. Of course, I am also one of those people who only found the inter-track clicks barely audible and hardly something to get upset about. We all have different thresholds as far as aggravation goes.

post #33577 of 39352 Old 09-07-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post

Been awhile since I posted, but the new Beta firmware still has SACD inter-track clicks as noted by others recently as well.

Oppo Support recommends going back to the last Official release which is supposed to FUBAR the time counter and may crash on some SACDs. Before I do that, has anybody had the May version crash on them? And how bad is the counter error? I skipped that version going right to the current Beta.

Yes I did on a few classical SACD'sthat I mentioned on the thread that deals with this. Am using the new Beta fireware with the odd tick back but no crashes.Much better.
post #33578 of 39352 Old 09-07-2010, 02:43 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post

Yes, I've had the crash on a couple disks. See the other thread where some potentially affected titles are discussed to see if any of them might be in your collection.
post #33579 of 39352 Old 09-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konoyaro View Post

Yes, I've had the crash on a couple disks. See the other thread where some potentially affected titles are discussed to see if any of them might be in your collection.

Thanks! I somehow missed this thread.

"The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow."
post #33580 of 39352 Old 09-07-2010, 07:07 PM
bml

Hi all,

Does any one have problem accessing the WD element desktop 2TB external HDD with the Oppo 83? I have already formated it to FAT32 with single partition. The WD works fine with my PC and Mac, but the Oppo 83 freezes whenever I plug it in. If I take out the HDD from the WD element enclosure and connect it with my docking station, it works fine. I have connect 5 different usb hdds with Oppo, but I haven't see anything like this before. It seems like WD has done something special in the WD element's SATA-to-USB controller. Does anyone has the same problem?

Thx.
post #33581 of 39352 Old 09-07-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104 View Post

Some of the early Air Force One Blu-rays didn't have the russian subs. You can call Sony customer service & they will have you mail it in & send you a corrected copy with Russian subtitles.

That's what I did the beginning of this year. Took about a month to get a new corrected one back.

Hey, just an update on this. I called Sony today and according to them, after I gave them the number they asked for off the case, I should already have the fixed BD. However, the forced subs still didn't work. I sent the BD in today and will see what I get back.

Those who received the "fixed" BD and have not verified it, may want to right away to ensure it is indeed a working copy.
post #33582 of 39352 Old 09-07-2010, 11:34 PM

I wonder if anyone here has the US release of the blu-ray Shinobi and if so, have they noticed a problem when selecting subtitle options?
post #33583 of 39352 Old 09-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

It never crashed on me. I didn't really care about the counter error. More a nuisance than a real problem. Of course, I am also one of those people who only found the inter-track clicks barely audible and hardly something to get upset about. We all have different thresholds as far as aggravation goes.

It's not just about one's threshold for aggravation. I have a Telarc SACD that clicks so loudly between tracks it sounds like it's going to damage my speakers...and I have the volume turned down well below reference level.

It obviously has something to do with equipment and connections...that's why some people don't have any clicks, some people have them (but barely audible), and some people (like me) can hear them quite readily.

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #33584 of 39352 Old 09-08-2010, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post

It's not just about one's threshold for aggravation. I have a Telarc SACD that clicks so loudly between tracks it sounds like it's going to damage my speakers...and I have the volume turned down well below reference level.

Can you say which Telarc?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #33585 of 39352 Old 09-08-2010, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumbo View Post

However, the forced subs still didn't work. I sent the BD in today and will see what I get back.

Are you sure your Subtitle Shift is set to 0 and not "-5" under Video Setup->Display Options?
post #33586 of 39352 Old 09-08-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Are you sure your Subtitle Shift is set to 0 and not "-5" under Video Setup->Display Options?

This problem is even a bit more subtle, because "Subtitle Shift" is one of those values that is affected by not resetting the factory defaults after a firmware upgrade. I made this mistake on a firmware upgrade earlier this year, and even with the Subtitle Shift set to 0 in the menu, subtitles on one movie I tried were almost completely off the screen at the bottom -- you could just see the top of them. (And this was with subtitles of everything being said, not just for a few phrases.) After the factory reset, this problem went away for me. I didn't realize that the factory reset was the issue until someone else (I think it was on this forum) pointed it out to me.

Dave Barnhart
post #33587 of 39352 Old 09-08-2010, 03:13 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Disconnect the BDP-83 from all cables.

Turn the player upside down. At the front of the unit will be an
opening. Slide the white tab in the opening all the way to the left. The tray
will eject.

Turn the player rightside up. Pull the tray towards you. Give it a slight tug.

Does this work with the original loader? I forget. I know it works with the BDP-80 and the newer loader on the BDP-83.

I'll add this to the FAQ.

-Bill
post #33588 of 39352 Old 09-08-2010, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does this work with the original loader? I forget. I know it works with the BDP-80 and the newer loader on the BDP-83.

-Bill

I deleted my question because I was able to resolve my issue without having to open the tray. But on mine (this model is from about May 09, I think), there is no tab inside that slot. I even looked around in there with a flashlight and there's just no lever, tab, button, or anything that could manually manipulated.
post #33589 of 39352 Old 09-08-2010, 04:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 386
I was trying to do a comparison today between the 5.1 M/C output and HDMI when listening to a M/C SACD with my 83SE. What I found was when I switched my Onkyo 886 to HDMI (DSD and Bitstream settings) the volume level was about 10dB lower than it was with the 5.1 M/C output.

I found that with the volume level around -20.0 with the 5.1 M/C output it was at a fairly loud volume but nothing crazy. When I switched to the HDMI input I had to raise the volume to about -10.0 to even come close to the 5.1 M/C volume. I find this odd as when I watch a DVD or BR with HDMI I never get near the -10.0 volume level with maybe the loudest being -17.5 to -15.0 which is pretty loud.

I looked in the 83's FAQ (which is very helpful) and did not see any mention of SACDs having large volume differences between the HDMI and 5.1 M/C outputs. Both sound great (I prefer the 5.1 M/C) but I am wondering why there is such a big volume difference between the two outputs? Is this normal? Or could I have a setting off somewhere? Its not a real big deal, more curiousity than any thing else.

Any thoughts or advice on this would be appreciated.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #33590 of 39352 Old 09-08-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Yes, I'm sure. The issue is also apparent in my LG BD390 and my software players, i.e., PowerDVD 9 Ultra and TMT 3 Platinum. I've played plenty of movies with forced subs with no issues. Good idea though.

[EDIT] Oh, just to add to what dbcii said, I did turn on the normal subtitles and they work just fine and are in the appropriate place on the screen at the time I noitced the forced subs weren't coming up.
post #33591 of 39352 Old 09-08-2010, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I was trying to do a comparison today between the 5.1 M/C output and HDMI when listening to a M/C SACD with my 83SE. What I found was when I switched my Onkyo 886 to HDMI (DSD and Bitstream settings) the volume level was about 10dB lower than it was with the 5.1 M/C output.

I found that with the volume level around -20.0 with the 5.1 M/C output it was at a fairly loud volume but nothing crazy. When I switched to the HDMI input I had to raise the volume to about -10.0 to even come close to the 5.1 M/C volume. I find this odd as when I watch a DVD or BR with HDMI I never get near the -10.0 volume level with maybe the loudest being -17.5 to -15.0 which is pretty loud.

I looked in the 83's FAQ (which is very helpful) and did not see any mention of SACDs having large volume differences between the HDMI and 5.1 M/C outputs. Both sound great (I prefer the 5.1 M/C) but I am wondering why there is such a big volume difference between the two outputs? Is this normal? Or could I have a setting off somewhere? Its not a real big deal, more curiousity than any thing else.

Any thoughts or advice on this would be appreciated.

Bill

What makes you think the volume difference is a result of the player and not your AVR? It's pretty normal for AVRs to have considerable volume differences on analog vs digital inputs. Especially since digital inputs are routed through DSP and setup EQ and analog is not.

If your player's volume control is at 100% and the speaker setup levels are at "0", then the player is not doing anything it shouldn't.
post #33592 of 39352 Old 09-08-2010, 04:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

-Bill

My flawed memory is that the first and possibly second revision loaders did not have the eject lever. I'm not sure how many loader revisions there are in public, maybe 2?
post #33593 of 39352 Old 09-08-2010, 04:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

What makes you thing the volume difference is a result of the player and not your AVR? It's pretty normal for AVRs to have considerable volume differences on analog vs digital inputs. Especially since digital inputs are routed through DSP and setup EQ and analog is not.

If your player's volume control is at 100% and the speaker setup levels are at "0", then the player is not doing anything it shouldn't.

I'm not saying it is the BDP-83SE as I'm not sure, thats why I asked the question. But why is it when I play a DVD or BR with DD 5.1 or HBR audio which is using the DSP functions as well as Audyssey of the 886 it is much louder than when I play a M/C SACD?

The Volume level of the BDP-83SE is at 100 and trim levels in the speaker setup were set using the AIX calibration disc.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #33594 of 39352 Old 09-08-2010, 04:50 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

My flawed memory is that the first and possibly second revision loaders did not have the eject lever. I'm not sure how many loader revisions there are in public, maybe 2?

I remember only two: the original BE and the newer BT. The BDP-80 has always been the BT (these designations from the firmware id).

We may have to ask someone who actually knows.

-Bill
post #33595 of 39352 Old 09-09-2010, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I'm not saying it is the BDP-83SE as I'm not sure, thats why I asked the question. But why is it when I play a DVD or BR with DD 5.1 or HBR audio which is using the DSP functions as well as Audyssey of the 886 it is much louder than when I play a M/C SACD?

The Volume level of the BDP-83SE is at 100 and trim levels in the speaker setup were set using the AIX calibration disc.

Bill

probably the way the disc is mastered..can't tell you how many times a disc sounds so loud and i have to lower volume during coming attractions which are mostly dd5.1..then the movie starts ,whether dd true, dts hd,I have to raise volume again..over recent years i have noticed dd 5.1 is very loud
post #33596 of 39352 Old 09-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Can you say which Telarc?

It's the Telarc Nutcracker Selections disc.

http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/alb...om-The-Ballet/

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #33597 of 39352 Old 09-09-2010, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:

Thanks. I have that on CD so I cannot try to replicate your experience.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #33598 of 39352 Old 09-09-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:

I have that one. I will try it out after the game. I'm assuming you're running the latest firmware?
post #33599 of 39352 Old 09-09-2010, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

If anybody out there is using the bluraychip.dk mod with RS-232, could you shoot me a PM? I'm having trouble getting the codes to work properly.

TIA.

EDIT: After some trial and error, I was able to get the mod + RS-232 to work. It's not as well documented as the standard IR-based mod, so if anyone has issues with it, send me a PM and I can probably help you troubleshoot.
post #33600 of 39352 Old 09-10-2010, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi,

Does anybody knows if the 83 can reads exFAT formatted USB HD?

I bought one WD Elements 1 TB, and created a partition to use with the 83.

But on the Windows7, when I tried to format to FAT, the only option was exFAT.

So I created this partition with 550 GB exFAT.

Will it work on the 83?

Did someone tried this?

In your opinions is exFAT better than FAT32?

Will it be slower to play films from this HD on the 83?

Thanks in advance.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page