Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1227 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #36781 of 39391 Old 09-30-2011, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
If it stops at HELLO then this is likely a bad HDMI handshake. Replace your current HDMI cable between the player and receiver; receiver and television.

Ensure that you turn on the television, the receiver, and switch to their appropriate inputs, then turn on the player. This will ensure the maximum compatibility with the handshakes while the player turns on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36782 of 39391 Old 09-30-2011, 07:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 425
I hoping that when a new FW is released for the 83 that the speaker configuration menu will be updated to that of the 93/95's. It would be great if it is for better BM, finer distance and level settings. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #36783 of 39391 Old 09-30-2011, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

If it stops at HELLO then this is likely a bad HDMI handshake. Replace your current HDMI cable between the player and receiver; receiver and television.

Ensure that you turn on the television, the receiver, and switch to their appropriate inputs, then turn on the player. This will ensure the maximum compatibility with the handshakes while the player turns on.

Thanks for the help.

Any idea why unplugging it solves the problem? I'll try a different cable and report back.

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #36784 of 39391 Old 10-01-2011, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
It worked! I unplugged the HDMI cable and plugged them back in and so far so good. There is no way in the world I would have thought it was an HDMI issue.

Thanks so much for the help!!!!!!!

I can now sell it and pick up a 93 plus a region free mod kit for it. Nothing against Panasonic but I much prefer having the Oppo do 3D and 2D.

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #36785 of 39391 Old 10-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

It worked! I unplugged the HDMI cable and plugged them back in and so far so good. There is no way in the world I would have thought it was an HDMI issue.

Thanks so much for the help!!!!!!!

I can now sell it and pick up a 93 plus a region free mod kit for it. Nothing against Panasonic but I much prefer having the Oppo do 3D and 2D.

Tom

HDMI plugs are only friction fit in the socket. It only takes a small shift of the plug in the socket to screw up the connection. Typically this happens when you move the player or other cables around, or just due to the weight/stiffness of the cable.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #36786 of 39391 Old 10-01-2011, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

My BDP-83 reports that the following format is unsupported:

Code:
Video
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 4 frames
Muxing mode                      : Container profile=Unknown@0.0
Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration                         : 4mn 0s
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Maximum bit rate                 : 37.0 Mbps
Width                            : 1 920 pixels
Height                           : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive
Title                            : M
Language                         : German
Color primaries                  : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
Transfer characteristics         : BT.709-5, BT.1361
Matrix coefficients              : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177
Do you have any suggestions as to what may be wrong with it?

Thanks in advance,
Anton
post #36787 of 39391 Old 10-01-2011, 11:09 AM

anybody having any trouble with this set?disc 1 loaded and played great but disc 2 will not play in my 83.it begins loading process then the tv screen goes black and front display panel on the oppo reads all zeros.disc 3 loads up just fine.i have 2 oppo 83 players and disc 2 loads and plays fine on one of them but not the other.anybody got any ideas?
post #36788 of 39391 Old 10-01-2011, 11:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

HDMI plugs are only friction fit in the socket. It only takes a small shift of the plug in the socket to screw up the connection. Typically this happens when you move the player or other cables around, or just due to the weight/stiffness of the cable.
--Bob

Yeah, I bought several types of HDMI plug "holders" that seem to work well. Been a while, but I believe I got them at Amazon. They are able to grip the plug and be attached to the chassis of your equipment. Also, there are HDMI cables with locking plugs, not cheap, but they definitely work.

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #36789 of 39391 Old 10-01-2011, 11:59 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjitalian View Post

anybody having any trouble with this set?disc 1 loaded and played great but disc 2 will not play in my 83.it begins loading process then the tv screen goes black and front display panel on the oppo reads all zeros.disc 3 loads up just fine.i have 2 oppo 83 players and disc 2 loads and plays fine on one of them but not the other.anybody got any ideas?

Are these Blu-ray? Have you tried this procedure: What do I do if a Blu-ray disc will not load or play, or if it freezes the player?

-Bill
post #36790 of 39391 Old 10-01-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Are these Blu-ray? Have you tried this procedure: What do I do if a Blu-ray disc will not load or play, or if it freezes the player?

-Bill

yep,the disc is blu-ray season 6 of supernatural.disc 2 to be exact and i just did the procedure you recommended to me-which i had forgotten about since i have had virtually no problems with this player.i am very happy to report that it seems to have worked like a charm.i don't have the player hooked up to my computer so i will keep bd-live off.thanks so much for the reminder on the corrective procedure it was a big help.
post #36791 of 39391 Old 10-02-2011, 07:09 AM

hi all,

I'm happy owner of both BDP-83/93 models but recently I've faced with some difficults during AVCHD 2.0 BD playback. The disc was created in latest Sony PMB and format was set to 'BD3D or AVCHD BD' in order to preserve initial video quality with progressive format 1080 50p.
The result was a bit unusual for me due to details are below:

1. Disc was succesfully opened by both players but content was detected in wrong way - it was opened as file list.
2. I could't switch between chapters normally.
3. Playback was non-seamless and each time I've faced with short gaps berween chapters.

I've contacted with Oppo support team but they declared that AVCHD 2.0 support already exists in both players. I'm still didn't ger an additional details from them.

Any ideas are very appreciated.
post #36792 of 39391 Old 10-02-2011, 07:21 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by genwhisper View Post

hi all,

I'm happy owner of both BDP-83/93 models but recently I've faced with some difficults during AVCHD 2.0 BD playback. The disc was created in latest Sony PMB and format was set to 'BD3D or AVCHD BD' in order to preserve initial video quality with progressive format 1080 50p.
The result was a bit unusual for me due to details are below:

1. Disc was succesfully opened by both players but content was detected in wrong way - it was opened as file list.
2. I could't switch between chapters normally.
3. Playback was non-seamless and each time I've faced with short gaps berween chapters.

I've contacted with Oppo support team but they declared that AVCHD 2.0 support already exists in both players. I'm still didn't ger an additional details from them.

Any ideas are very appreciated.

Welcome to AVSForum.

Are you saying your AVCHD has never worked on either player, or that it did work but now doesn't after a change in authoring?

If the player browser is opening the folder and showing you a file list, then AVCHD is not working.

-Bill
post #36793 of 39391 Old 10-02-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:

Welcome to AVSForum.

Are you saying your AVCHD has never worked on either player, or that it did work but now doesn't after a change in authoring?

If the player browser is opening the folder and showing you a file list, then AVCHD is not working.

-Bill

I tried to open BD authored in Sony PMB on both Oppo 83rd an 93rd and results were the same - content was displayed as a list.
post #36794 of 39391 Old 10-02-2011, 08:44 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by genwhisper View Post

I tried to open BD authored in Sony PMB on both Oppo 83rd an 93rd and results were the same - content was displayed as a list.

I have to ask again: are you saying that AVCHD has never worked for you on either player?

I don't know what Sony PMB is or what sort of AVCHD it produces.

If you want to try an example known to work, the AVS HD 709 calibration disc comes in an AVCHD version: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

You might try reauthoring your tests with multiavchd (http://multiavchd.deanbg.com/) to see if you get different results.

It if helps, the BDP-93 will play Blu-ray ISO images and BDMV directories, which might be easier if Blu-ray is your original source.

-Bill
post #36795 of 39391 Old 10-02-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:

I have to ask again: are you saying that AVCHD has never worked for you on either player?

I don't know what Sony PMB is or what sort of AVCHD it produces.

If you want to try an example known to work, the AVS HD 709 calibration disc comes in an AVCHD version: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

You might try reauthoring your tests with multiavchd (http://multiavchd.deanbg.com/) to see if you get different results.

It if helps, the BDP-93 will play Blu-ray ISO images and BDMV directories, which might be easier if Blu-ray is your original source.

-Bill

Thanks for explanation Bill, I think I've missed a part of your post
It was my first attemt to use Oppo for AVCHD playback, I used BDMV before and everything was fine.
AVCHD 2.0 has some differences with AVCHD so new container type was suggested by AVCHD consortium due to blu-ray initial standard doesn't support 50p .
post #36796 of 39391 Old 10-03-2011, 12:13 PM

Add me to the list of 83 owners who couldn't get X-Men First Class to play... until I cleared persistent storage and turned of BD-Live.

Won't be shelling out for any more Fox products for a while...
post #36797 of 39391 Old 10-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post

Add me to the list of 83 owners who couldn't get X-Men First Class to play... until I cleared persistent storage and turned of BD-Live.

I've watched it twice on mine. No problems either time. I didn't have to touch the storage.

Ta Dono
post #36798 of 39391 Old 10-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post

I've watched it twice on mine. No problems either time. I didn't have to touch the storage.

Ta Dono

I had no issues either, but I also don't have my machine on a network, and don't use BD-Live.

So much media, so little time...

post #36799 of 39391 Old 10-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryecohen View Post

I had no issues either, but I also don't have my machine on a network, and don't use BD-Live.

Same here, I use my players to play discs. Any other computer crap I let my laptop and Pad do.

Ta Dono
post #36800 of 39391 Old 10-09-2011, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

First class played, but on a certain scene (the magneto raising the sub) it without fail skips forward to the next stop point

Check out my WAF approved living room theater

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1526916/my...-1-living-room
post #36801 of 39391 Old 10-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Read the FAQ!

Orb Products Bring Netflix, Pandora, Amazon, Hulu, etc. to Oppo

http://www.orb.com/

I've done some experimentation with this (as part of Oppo Beta Testing) and it appears to work, albeit in a "new product" sort of way.

You buy the "Orb BR" disc for about $25. It includes a USB memory stick that you insert and set up as your Persistent Storage (instead of using the internal Persistent Storage in the Oppo).

Meanwhile, on a Mac or Windows PC you download the free "Orb Caster" application. Orb Caster actually contains the smarts for connecting to the streaming services, as well as providing the ability to access media files from your computer. NOTE: This is a processor heavy application, so be sure to check the minimum speed specs to see if your computer will suffice.

The third piece is user control. This is accomplished either with a "Mini Controller" app on your computer (included with the Orb Caster download), or a free iOS app "Orb Controller". I believe they also have an Android version but I've not played with that.

You fire up Orb Caster on your computer, and make sure it can receive incoming network connections. Then you play the Orb BR disc on your Oppo. Then you fire up your controller app -- whichever one you want to use. NOTE: All three pieces have to be running on the same, local network so they can find each other.

For password services like Netflix, you tell the controller your account email and password and it sends over and saves those in Orb Caster. At that point you can view your Instant Queue, or do Searches. When you select a program to play, Orb Caster establishes the incoming stream and re-streams that to Orb BR on your Oppo.

For media files, you tell Orb Caster which sets of files to index, and they then become available in the controller app. (Orb Caster can also act as a DLNA server, presenting your media files to the DLNA file playing UI in the Oppo itself.)

There are definitely still some strangenesses in all this, and I don't think the playback quality is quite up to native apps yet (given the same network speed in both cases). But as an alternative to no access at all, it's pretty cool!

Definitely something for you early adopters out there to consider. Folks who will only tolerate a bullet-proof streaming solution should probably wait until more reports come in from folks who've tried it.

NOTE 1: The latest version of Orb BR and Orb Caster supports the Oppo BDP-80, BDP-83, BDP-93 and BDP-95. The Orb folks still need to update all the pages on their web site to properly reflect this. Orb BR auto-updates when it launches. The necessary version of Orb Caster is the one available from the public download link on the Orb web site.

NOTE 2: For the BDP-93 and BDP-95, the native apps for Netflix and Pandora are preferable. But Hulu and Amazon access should still be interesting.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #36802 of 39391 Old 10-10-2011, 04:19 PM

I wasn't sure where to post this question so sorry if in a wrong area. Question .. If you want Dolby True and or DTS Master HD audio etc, does the blu ray player have to be able to output that. If say DTS Master HD is not listed for or on the player will you not be able to get that even though your AV receiver can decode DTS Master audio. I notice some Blu Ray players only list Dolby True and DTS Digital. They do not specify DTS Master HD Audio or whatever that special DTS is.
post #36803 of 39391 Old 10-10-2011, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
The player supports Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD Master decoding and bit streaming. So it will work in high definition on all receivers.
post #36804 of 39391 Old 10-10-2011, 04:33 PM
Read the FAQ!

Yes, the player specs should state whether the player can output DTS-HD MA as a Bitstream (for decoding in the AVR), or can decode that itself for output to the AVR as high bit-rate, multi-channel LPCM.

The OPPO Blu-ray players can do both.
--Bob

post #36805 of 39391 Old 10-10-2011, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Or leave bdlive off. I had no problems with the Netflix version and my Oppo has always been on the network, never had persistent storage cleared (by me) and has never had bdlive enabled.
post #36806 of 39391 Old 10-10-2011, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

NOTE 1: The latest version of Orb BR and Orb Caster supports the Oppo BDP-80, BDP-83, BDP-93 and BDP-95. The Orb folks still need to update all the pages on their web site to properly reflect this. Orb BR auto-updates when it launches. The necessary version of Orb Caster is the one available from the public download link on the Orb web site.

NOTE 2: For the BDP-93 and BDP-95, the native apps for Netflix and Pandora are preferable. But Hulu and Amazon access should still be interesting.
--Bob

Sounds interesting for people w/o Netflix and an older Oppo. Thanks!

I want Ed on DVD/Blu-ray!
post #36807 of 39391 Old 10-11-2011, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

. . .
You fire up Orb Caster on your computer, and make sure it can receive incoming network connections. Then you play the Orb BR disc on your Oppo. Then you fire up your controller app -- whichever one you want to use. NOTE: All three pieces have to be running on the same, local network so they can find each other.
. . .
For media files, you tell Orb Caster which sets of files to index, and they then become available in the controller app. (Orb Caster can also act as a DLNA server, presenting your media files to the DLNA file playing UI in the Oppo itself.)

There are definitely still some strangenesses in all this, and I don't think the playback quality is quite up to native apps yet (given the same network speed in both cases). But as an alternative to no access at all, it's pretty cool!
. . .
--Bob

Interesting find, Bob. It seems like Rube Goldberg is alive and kicking. . . .

Since the PC is actually interfacing with Vudu, etc, won't your stream be limited (by license) to SD?

As for media files, does this arrangement provide anything (interface, for example) better than DLNA (which sounds like just an alternative)?

This really seems like a solution in search of a problem. While the BDP-83 is a first-rate disc player, it's not really suitable for other uses such network streaming. (Not a criticism, but a fact.) Unless space prohibits, I'd suggest using purpose-built devices instead, for those who can afford an Oppo and appreciate its quality output. I currently use an LG ST600 SmartTV Upgrader for streaming Vudu at 1080p24 w/DD+ (also does NF, Amazon and several others) and a Dune HD Smart D1 for streaming files over the network.
post #36808 of 39391 Old 10-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

VUDU is not included as one of the options the Orb stuff supports.

The Orb stuff supports 480i and 720p video to the Oppo -- the choice being made automatically according to what's coming in over the internet and your local network performance. Frankly I'm not sure how the licensing issues are SUPPOSED to work in a setup like this.

It's interesting in that it gives you access to services like this through the Oppo without having to have native apps in the Oppo. Whether it is a better way to do it then getting another box which runs entirely separately from the Oppo is another question entirely.

------------------------------

The media file playback built into the Orb stuff is a "push" style. I.e., you drive it from the controller app. Orb Caster can also be set to provide a pretty simplistic DLNA server (no controls for transcoding or whatever for example) if you would prefer to "pull" content into the player using the DLNA browsing UI built into the player. When used for DLNA, of course, the Orb BR disc is not running and the Controller app (whichever one you are using) is also not involved.
--Bob

post #36809 of 39391 Old 10-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Read the FAQ!

Another glitch on this Orb stuff -- presumably temporary -- is that they've not yet updated their on-line order page to let you specify which type of Blu-ray player you intend to use with Orb BR. Which means you won't get the USB memory stick they want you to use when using this on the Oppo players.
--Bob

post #36810 of 39391 Old 10-13-2011, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Another glitch on this Orb stuff -- presumably temporary -- is that they've not yet updated their on-line order page to let you specify which type of Blu-ray player you intend to use with Orb BR. Which means you won't get the USB memory stick they want you to use when using this on the Oppo players.
--Bob

That has been fixed, you can now order Orb BR against the BDP-83 with the option of the $5.99 1 GB USB Thumb drive. see http://www.orb.com/en/store.html

www.orb.com now lists the Oppo BD players under technical specs.

Oppo Beta Group
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page