Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1259 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #37741 of 39595 Old 04-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 906
^ Interesting. We have some folks in Beta Test Club who dote on this DVD/24 stuff. I'll pass this on to them and ask if they can confirm what you are seeing.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #37742 of 39595 Old 04-19-2012, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsarver View Post

Me, too. I especially like the fact that it also works on streamed DVD rips.

I have seen the artifacts some complain about only on a couple of poorly-authored discs--Love and Death comes to mind--but never on movie-only rips. The -83 is one great player.

Try stopping the playback of the movie for 5 or 10 seconds and then hit play and the movie will restart where you left off. This should stop the artifacts. It always works for me.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #37743 of 39595 Old 04-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Interesting. We have some folks in Beta Test Club who dote on this DVD/24 stuff. I'll pass this on to them and ask if they can confirm what you are seeing.
--Bob

Glad to help. I got my 83 right before OPPO announced that they were moving onto the 93. I have been using this trick on every DVD that I use, which is getting fewer and fewer as most of my DVDs are being replaced with Blu rays.

post #37744 of 39595 Old 04-19-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The Oppo 83 has a De-interlacing Mode setting, which I expect affects DVD/24 results. I'm assuming that most DVDs would be film based and therefore the Film Mode would probably be best: setting it to Auto Mode might result in issues transitioning from progressive menus to pulldown content?

As I understand it, the ABT2010 is capable of performing IVTC on 60p material via its PreP facility. It is a pity that Oppo haven't utilised all the functions of the ABT2010 so that it can output most media as 1080p24, if required, not just 1080p24 Bluray and 480i DVD. If the Mediatek decoder can only output 720p24 material as 720p60 or 1080p60, then the ABT2010 is physically capable of converting this to 1080p24.

I think the Oppo 83 could be given a new lease of life with a little more programming effort.
post #37745 of 39595 Old 04-19-2012, 09:09 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post

Try stopping the playback of the movie for 5 or 10 seconds and then hit play and the movie will restart where you left off. This should stop the artifacts. It always works for me.

Well in my preliminary testing I'm not seeing any difference with and without the Stop button trick.

DVD content that did well with DVD/24 before continues to do well.

DVD content that showed tearing or other issues in certain scenes with DVD/24 before continues to show the same issues.

I'll try some other content, but unfortunately, so far I don't see anything to get excited about here.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #37746 of 39595 Old 04-21-2012, 01:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post

I wasn't complaining. As I said, "only a couple" and "poorly authored discs." I watch way more rips (processed to be error-free) than discs. (Anyway 5-10 seconds is too long an interruption: spoils the mood.)
post #37747 of 39595 Old 04-21-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I'm going to pile on and again say that DVD/24 has an *amazing* effect here on *most* DVDs. Into a Pio plasma. It gives the video a totally different look, the increase in clarity is very impressive. It is not minor and seeing it is unavoidable, everybody sees it not just me wishing it. I can't explain it.

Sure on some DVDs the frame may tear (it's not a traditional tear, but looks more like the remnant of a frame, straight across the bottom ~20% of the screen) every few minutes. So I'm bothered for a fraction of a frame time, but clearly the benefits for the vast majority of the viewing time are worth it to me...obviously, because it's easily turned off. Most movie DVDs I watch never tear, including most TV DVDs too (surprising). I have thousands of them, and they're why I got the 83.
post #37748 of 39595 Old 04-21-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 87
It's interesting that your experience is so different from mine. I have a calibrated Pioneer 151FD and I saw little, if any, difference between DVD/24 and DVD/60 and saw too many problems with discs that didn't work right because of poor flags. Maybe I'll take another look at this and see if it looks any better. I am just getting everything back on line after moving across the country.

I have found the performance of my 83SE to be more than adequate on S-DVDs without the 24 turned on though.

post #37749 of 39595 Old 04-22-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraser View Post

I'm going to pile on and again say that DVD/24 has an *amazing* effect here on *most* DVDs. Into a Pio plasma. It gives the video a totally different look, the increase in clarity is very impressive. It is not minor and seeing it is unavoidable, everybody sees it not just me wishing it. I can't explain it.

Sure on some DVDs the frame may tear (it's not a traditional tear, but looks more like the remnant of a frame, straight across the bottom ~20% of the screen) every few minutes. So I'm bothered for a fraction of a frame time, but clearly the benefits for the vast majority of the viewing time are worth it to me...obviously, because it's easily turned off. Most movie DVDs I watch never tear, including most TV DVDs too (surprising). I have thousands of them, and they're why I got the 83.

When i first bought the 83 over three years ago just about everyone including oppo and my professional calibrator seemed to be saying that using dvd/24 was more trouble than it was worth.Ive always kept it off until today after reading your post.I just watched half of the second season of Treme on dvd into my samsung 55 8500 LED.Everything you have said is true for me also.Hard to explain but the pq looks cleaner with more pop.A lot like a blu-ray disc.I switched back and forth turning it off and on and could plainly see the difference.No real tearing and a definite improvement.I will keep it on whenever I play sd dvds .Thanks for your findings.

Matt
post #37750 of 39595 Old 04-22-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

I have a calibrated Pioneer 151FD

That's what I'm using!

Weird we get such different results...

Edit: wonder if it's some other setting I have (OPPO or Pio) that in combo makes the diff?
post #37751 of 39595 Old 04-22-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post

When i first bought the 83 over three years ago just about everyone including oppo and my professional calibrator seemed to be saying that using dvd/24 was more trouble than it was worth.Ive always kept it off until today after reading your post.I just watched half of the second season of Treme on dvd into my samsung 55 8500 LED.Everything you have said is true for me also.Hard to explain but the pq looks cleaner with more pop.A lot like a blu-ray disc.I switched back and forth turning it off and on and could plainly see the difference.No real tearing and a definite improvement.I will keep it on whenever I play sd dvds .Thanks for your findings.

Agreed. I never tried it either because of all the negative reviews. I'll have to give it a try.
post #37752 of 39595 Old 04-23-2012, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have always left this feature enabled and never encountered an issue. Does anyone have specific examples of DVDs that have problem with the 24p setting enabled?

"glittering prizes and endless compromises..."

Sony Super Fine Pitch CRT for Sale

post #37753 of 39595 Old 04-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well in my preliminary testing I'm not seeing any difference with and without the Stop button trick.

DVD content that did well with DVD/24 before continues to do well.

DVD content that showed tearing or other issues in certain scenes with DVD/24 before continues to show the same issues.

I'll try some other content, but unfortunately, so far I don't see anything to get excited about here.
--Bob

Hi Bob,

I tried The War of the Gargantuas last night, as this is now the oldest title I have, and it played flawlessy. In fact the last time I played this movie was on my BH200, which has the Marvell QDEO, and it looked stunning with the OPPO.
The 24 frame playback worked with out a hitch.

As I said I never had any tearing issues since I got the OPPO, June 2009, and I have used the 24 frame option for DVD since I got it.
Most of the DVD I had/have are main stream releases. I have been eliminating my DVDs as their Blu ray copies are released.

The only issue I have seen on some movies is I would get a shimmering effect with the occasional video drop outs, but stopping the movie for 5 to 10 seconds and then starting it again would eliminate the issues as it would have to reengage 24 frame DVD mode. The movie I discovered this on was The Lost World of the 4 DVD box set of Jurassic Park.

My set up is the OPPO 83 using 1080p24 and 24 frame DVD mode set on, HDMI to Onkyo TX SR606 A/V receiver, then HDMI to a Pioneer Kuro 5010 using 72 Hz mode. My HDMI cables are 6 feet long and are BlueJeans Cables.

If you can post some of the titles that are dispalying the tearing issue I will try them if I have them. My DVD collection is getting pretty small.

post #37754 of 39595 Old 04-23-2012, 06:35 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ You'll see problems wherever the cadence is disrupted due to how the source content originated or due to sloppy editing.

This is particularly a problem with older discs, but is also present on newer discs where you find a mix of film and video rate original materials edited together (as from some special effects systems). Telecine on the oldest discs was done with an optical system (film played at normal speed and projected into a video camera) and is rife with problems like this because there is no regularity at all to the resulting cadence.

When looking for problem examples, I find "extras" content is often the easiest. For example in the 5 disc Blu-ray set of "Blade Runner" there's an SD-DVD of "making of" extras that exhibits these problems. Check the vertical pan of the photo of the PHilip K. Dick novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" and notice that the bottom of the screen lags with respect to the balance of the screen. There's no such problem using 1080p/60 output.

For the feature films, often you will find the problems at chapter breaks, scene changes and when special effects come and go. I.e., points where the film was edited digitally.

Note that /24, once engaged, REMAINS engaged even if a portion of video rate content is inserted into the normal film stream. This is necessary as otherwise you'd have to suffer a new HDMI handshake at each end of each such a video rate insertion -- i.e., as the output tries to track by switching back and forth between 1080p/24 and 1080p/60.
--Bob

post #37755 of 39595 Old 04-24-2012, 01:02 PM

Liked: 11
Do you guys think this player is still a good buy? I am debating this or panny 220... same money. I like this over the panny simply for the fact that I will be able to shift subs on the screen and can mod it to region free. I assume that BR picture quality will be pretty much the same.
post #37756 of 39595 Old 04-24-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Got my BDP-83 back from Oppo today with a new loader. Big props on the fast service and return!

Of course, I already bought a BDP-93 to replace it... so I opened the box long enough to snap some pics and throw it online for sale. But still, big props on their service.

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #37757 of 39595 Old 04-24-2012, 03:32 PM

Has anyone viewed "Jack Goes Boating" using the latest firmware?

The Blu-Ray copy I received thru Netflix plays the previews, then stops at a black screen with the OPPO display showing "Main Menu". Pressing the Stop key will return to the OPPO logo, but no other keys have any effect.

I have the March 7, 2012 BDP83-59-0117 Firmware installed following all instructions including Reset to Factory Default.

The Loader and Sub Versions are also current.

My BDP-83 was upgraded to SE if that is relevant.
post #37758 of 39595 Old 04-24-2012, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Try disabling BD-LIVE (Network Setup) and clearing your Persistent Storage (Device Setup).
post #37759 of 39595 Old 04-24-2012, 03:47 PM

Thanks, never use BD-Live and already sent the disc back, but was wondering if anyone had success with this disc.
post #37760 of 39595 Old 04-24-2012, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I watched in but I believe it was a store rental,not Netflix.

Had no problems.

Mitsubishi WD73-742, Oppo BDP-103, Gallo 3.1/ Reference AV center/ Adiva-ti surrounds, Emotiva UMC-200/ XPA-5/ XPA-3, Toshiba HD-A3. Roku XS

"All rooms, speakers and ears are different, trust your own ears."

post #37761 of 39595 Old 04-25-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyravr View Post

Do you guys think this player is still a good buy? I am debating this or panny 220... same money. I like this over the panny simply for the fact that I will be able to shift subs on the screen and can mod it to region free. I assume that BR picture quality will be pretty much the same.

You can easily change regions with the stock Panny 210 just by using the remote. I don't know if the 220 also has this capability. If I had to choose between a 220 and an Oppo 83 I'd choose the 83 unless you are interested in streaming. The Panny is a nice unit, but the Oppo is a joy.
post #37762 of 39595 Old 04-26-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My only issue with Oppo was that it was really hard to convince them that my old 970 DVD unit was broken (and it was very broken). But I love my 83 and am hoping to eventually upgrade my upstairs System's Denon 2900 to a 93 (yeah its apples and oranges but I am making do with my Dune HDI Smart B1 which is also part of that rig--the B1 does everything except SACD and DVD-Audio).
post #37763 of 39595 Old 04-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^ You'll see problems wherever the cadence is disrupted due to how the source content originated or due to sloppy editing.

This is particularly a problem with older discs, but is also present on newer discs where you find a mix of film and video rate original materials edited together (as from some special effects systems). Telecine on the oldest discs was done with an optical system (film played at normal speed and projected into a video camera) and is rife with problems like this because there is no regularity at all to the resulting cadence.

When looking for problem examples, I find "extras" content is often the easiest. For example in the 5 disc Blu-ray set of "Blade Runner" there's an SD-DVD of "making of" extras that exhibits these problems. Check the vertical pan of the photo of the PHilip K. Dick novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" and notice that the bottom of the screen lags with respect to the balance of the screen. There's no such problem using 1080p/60 output.

For the feature films, often you will find the problems at chapter breaks, scene changes and when special effects come and go. I.e., points where the film was edited digitally.

Note that /24, once engaged, REMAINS engaged even if a portion of video rate content is inserted into the normal film stream. This is necessary as otherwise you'd have to suffer a new HDMI handshake at each end of each such a video rate insertion -- i.e., as the output tries to track by switching back and forth between 1080p/24 and 1080p/60.
--Bob

I never thought about the SD DVD extras on the Blu ray discs as I never really watched them.
I will have to take the time to look into this.

I do notice on some of the Columbo movies that there is a quick video drop out like if there is a single frame missing. Like you said probably from poor editing.

Over all I have had very good results using the 24 frame DVD playback feature.

post #37764 of 39595 Old 04-26-2012, 06:56 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ It's highly dependent on the discs you choose to watch. My point was that so far I haven't spotted any difference between letting the SD content start normally and doing the Stop button trick after it started. Confirming a difference there would have meant we'd found a bug (which could be fixed!), as there SHOULDN'T be a difference.

The testing I've done so far is hardly definitive. Just reporting that at this point I can't confirm what you've spotted.
--Bob

post #37765 of 39595 Old 04-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

^ Bob, I am thinking we might be describing are two different issues with DVD 24p.
In my case I am only talking about playing the original DVD releases that were before Blu ray. I have played about 100 or so DVD movies in the OPPO and never seen any tearing issues.
For reference, I have never used the DVD copies that come with Blu rays and I really never watched any Blu ray extras that may have content with mixed resolutions.
In my case the problem is the shimmering background and some judder issues, especially with these two movies:

http://www.amazon.com/Jurassic-Park-...5547987&sr=1-5

http://www.amazon.com/The-Beast-Geor...5548055&sr=1-1

With Jurassic Park I see it on the Lost World, especially when Malcom is talking to Hammond in the study. My trick fixes that issue. I no longer own this set as I traded it in to amazon when the Blu ray trilogy came out.

I also have my player set up with 1080p as my resolution, 1080p24 set to "ON" not auto, and DVD 24p conversion set to "ON". Pages 49 and 50 in the OPPO BDP 83 manual.
As you know when you put a DVD in the player you should get a black screen after a few seconds of play that says "switching to 24 HZ mode" and then the movie resumes. If you do not see this message then something is wrong as the player did not engage 24 Hz mode. If you use my trick this should repeat again.

According to the manual my player is always outputting 1080p24 and you have to have it this way in order to use the DVD 24p conversion. I also noticed if you change the output resolution to source direct using the resolution button on the remote that the DVD 24p stays on were it should be greyed out. I think if you set up the player with source direct then the DVD 24p option should be greyed out.

post #37766 of 39595 Old 04-27-2012, 08:35 PM
WGL

Watched War Horse for the first time this evening and noticed a significant amount of distortion in the center, left and right channels from explosions and other loud sound effects during the battle scenes. I'm using the 83SE's internal processor downmixed to 5.1, then analog out to my receiver. Switching downmix modes between stereo, 5.1 and 7.1 had no effect. Neither did turning down the volume on my reciever or even the oppo itself. Massive crackling distortion on certain sound effects no matter the volume level. I'm running the latest official firmware.

I remember that a similar issue plagued the bdp-83 and Toy Story 3 when it was first released but Oppo was quick with a firmware fix.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
post #37767 of 39595 Old 04-27-2012, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by WGL View Post

Watched War Horse for the first time this evening and noticed a significant amount of distortion in the center, left and right channels from explosions and other loud sound effects during the battle scenes. I'm using the 83SE's internal processor downmixed to 5.1, then analog out to my receiver. Switching downmix modes between stereo, 5.1 and 7.1 had no effect. Neither did turning down the volume on my reciever or even the oppo itself. Massive crackling distortion on certain sound effects no matter the volume level. I'm running the latest official firmware.

I remember that a similar issue plagued the bdp-83 and Toy Story 3 when it was first released but Oppo was quick with a firmware fix.

Ye olde MediaTek chipset and DTS 7.1 decoding problem. Firmware can't fix this one. Solution is either bitstream or engage secondary audio which only allows the player to decode the 5.1 lossy core stream.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #37768 of 39595 Old 04-28-2012, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by WGL View Post

I just watched the movie a couple nights ago with the same player and settings but I am feeding a Rotel RSP-1098 pre/pro and separate front, rear and center channel amps into my speakers. I did not hear any distortion, crackling or other issues. The explosions, BTW, were some of the most intense I have heard in a long while and were extensively routed to the surround speakers. My front and surround left and right speakers are full range and set to large with the LFE crossover to my sub set for 60hz.

post #37769 of 39595 Old 04-28-2012, 01:07 PM
WGL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

Ye olde MediaTek chipset and DTS 7.1 decoding problem. Firmware can't fix this one. Solution is either bitstream or engage secondary audio which only allows the player to decode the 5.1 lossy core stream.

Secondary audio did the trick. I definitely prefer clean lossy playback to crackling lossless. Thanks for the tip!

Bitstream isn't an option because my receiver can't decode Dolby HD or DTS Master.

I suppose I could do LPCM optical or coax out to retain lossless playback, but in that scenario the MediaTek chipset is still doing the decoding and thus would probably still exhibit distortion, right?
post #37770 of 39595 Old 04-28-2012, 01:33 PM
WGL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

I just watched the movie a couple nights ago with the same player and settings but I am feeding a Rotel RSP-1098 pre/pro and separate front, rear and center channel amps into my speakers. I did not hear any distortion, crackling or other issues. The explosions, BTW, were some of the most intense I have heard in a long while and were extensively routed to the surround speakers. My front and surround left and right speakers are full range and set to large with the LFE crossover to my sub set for 60hz.

Gary Rydstrom's mix for this movie is certainly one of the most intense I've experienced in a long while! Superb work. Makes me wish I had a genuine 7.1 setup. I've read his 7.1 mix for MI4 is awesome as well.

My speakers are set to small, but changing them to large did nothing to alleviate the issue. The cracking seemed most intense in the front sound stage but I'm sure there was some from the surrounds as well.

Interesting that your setup is free from this problem when the distortion seems inherent in the Oppo's internal processing. Your pre/pro must somehow be filtering the analog signals from the bdp-83.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page