Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1262 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #37831 of 39352 Old 05-19-2012, 07:44 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by herman56 View Post

I've tried in vain to watch the bluray "The Expendables"....however I can't get it to play. Anyone know particular issues with this disk? It's the only bluray I've had trouble with. Thanks for any help.

(1) Make sure you're running current firmware.

(2) Erase Persistent Storage and reboot the player.

If still no good, let us know.

-Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #37832 of 39352 Old 05-20-2012, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

You're still not really providing much info regarding specific issues. If you're playing rental BD discs, no visible scratches are acceptable - ever. Also, any problem disc should be washed and tried again...

That's helpful info, rd. irt the highlighted part on scratches: do you mean that one should not play a scratched disc or simply that one should not expect the player to read such a disc?

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #37833 of 39352 Old 05-20-2012, 06:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

That's helpful info, rd. irt the highlighted part on scratches: do you mean that one should not play a scratched disc or simply that one should not expect the player to read such a disc?

One should not expect it to play. BD has extremely low tolerance for any surface anomalies.
post #37834 of 39352 Old 05-20-2012, 07:28 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 315
I have not had much trouble with scratched Blu-rays (the coating is pretty tough) but I have had several with visible "warps" or "bends" in the disc. You have to inspect the reflective surface carefully with a strong light.

I don't know if these are caused by stress during mailing in flimsy envelopes or are manufacturing defects.

By contrast I have had DVDs that are almost frosted with fine scratches and still play, and many with bad scratches that can be repaired with a polishing machine. A pock-mark in the plastic is tougher, and radial scratches (like grooves in a vinyl record) are very bad, as they defeat the error correcting code.

-Bill
post #37835 of 39352 Old 05-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

You won't hurt the player by attempting to play a scratched disc. You just may have to sit through some error retries as it attempts to find a place to continue beyond the damage. If you find that too annoying, then don't play scratched discs. I play scratched rental discs all the time as part of Beta Testing with the OPPO players. The OPPO players can handle some pretty scratched up discs, often without even having to do read retries. Its all in the nature of the scratch.

You should NOT try to play a disc that is cracked or visibly warped (as by overexposure to heat) as those could impact the laser head.

You should also not try to play a disc that has grunge on the surface that might fly off and attach to the laser head. Clean the darn thing first.

It's also not wise to play a disc that has had a sticky tag or the like added to the label side, as they have a tendency to come loose and fly off at inconvenient moments.

Some types of disc damage are not so obvious. For example if you play enough discs you will eventually run into some where the center hole is either too small for the disc to load properly on the spindle or where the hole is not precisely centered causing the disc to have excess wobble. Both will almost certainly mean the disc can't be read, or even won't load properly (won't be recognized when you try to load it). It happens.

And with Blu-rays in particularly, there are types of manufacturing flaws which are tough to pick out with the naked eye. If a disc doesn't play, and other discs continue to play, and the disc surface looks pristine, and you don't see reports here or elsewhere of other folks having problems with this title, then the odds are pretty good you've got a disc with a manufacturing flaw. Usually the store or the studio will be happy to exchange it. By all means, ask here first, or email OPPO to see if they have history on this title (i.e., it is known to play for other people). But don't be shy about seeking a replacement disc.

If you are having trouble getting multiple discs to read without problems, particularly if the problem time codes vary each time you try a given disc, then it is quite possible your laser lens needs a cleaning.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #37836 of 39352 Old 05-20-2012, 06:40 PM

Liked: 10
Tried your suggestions....however i can only play the previews on the disk.....then it seems to just not open any other area. So I can't actually play the movie...can't get any menus on the movies as well. Strange
post #37837 of 39352 Old 05-20-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

One should not expect it to play. BD has extremely low tolerance for any surface anomalies.

I'm not sure if there are differences between the "hardcoat" technologies used with the various BD media, but I remember reading an article which suggested the hardcoat could be made to flow by heating it up with a hot air gun, which filled in scratches.

I received a BD-RW in the mail which had been sent in a fabric sleeve and actually imprinted the fabric weave onto the playing surface: I could not read the disc beyond a certain point. As an experiment, I held the disc in a heated air column and was surprised to discover that the playing surface was now visually perfect and all the data could be retrieved.

I can see why they don't suggest storing Bluray in sleeves, but only on disc hubs that prevent contact with the playing surface.

Whilst I wouldn't suggest it with rental discs, for those discs one owns that are scratched and won't play, it may not hurt to try the hot air approach to "heal" the surface.
post #37838 of 39352 Old 05-20-2012, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by herman56 View Post

Tried your suggestions....however i can only play the previews on the disk.....then it seems to just not open any other area. So I can't actually play the movie...can't get any menus on the movies as well. Strange

It may use tricky authoring which is not completely compatible with the player.

You could try enabling or disabling BD-Live, with or without a connection to the internet, with or without a flashdrive to provide supplementary memory: one of the combinations might work.

If you are attempting to play a Region B disc in a Region A player, this may be the way the disc identifies it can't be played in that region. Alternatively, even if the player is region switchable, the disc may have 50Hz menu elements that will not display on a 60Hz TV.

Or maybe it's just a defective disc.
post #37839 of 39352 Old 05-20-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

You won't hurt the player by attempting to play a scratched disc. --Bob

Thnx, guys.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #37840 of 39352 Old 05-22-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superheropunk View Post

I will on Monday. Have had the player new for a few years and it have had dealings with Oppo over the years. It is updated to the latest firmware and know about the persistent storage and BD Live Off. Most of the times I blame the disc but it is just happening to often (bluray's through blockbuster).

Have a replacement disc of Hanna (reported 1st disc as unable to play) and the player is still freezing on the 2nd disc (incredible!!!). The disc has a few light scratches but otherwise looks perfect. Most regular DVDs can be scratched to heck and still play perfectly. Last night I experimented a little and cut the 24 frame off and lots of other things to off but still didn't help...

Just an update I was able to test the bluray disc Hanna on a Samsung bluray player and it the movie froze it the exact same spot so it is for sure the disc on not the player. This is the 2nd Hanna disc rec'd from blockbuster and waiting for the 3rd....
post #37841 of 39352 Old 05-22-2012, 01:55 PM

I was having an issue with the Shrek movies and Puss in Boots where the 7.1 Dolby TrueHD track was being identified by the player as 5.1, and LPCM output over HDMI would only send 5.1 channels to the receiver while bitstream output worked fine. The same discs played on a similarly configured BDP-93 don't have this problem. I saw from earlier comments in this forum that some people were having similar issues with Megamind and Kung Fu Panda, so this may apply to all DreamWorks releases with 7.1 Dolby TrueHD tracks. I didn't see that anyone had posted an explanation of why this happens (I apologize if someone beat me to it), so I thought I'd post what I found out from my conversation with Oppo customer service.

Quote:

We have confirmed with at least these discs that this is a platform limitation. Even with Secondary Audio set to OFF, the player is aware of the Secondary Audio Program and prepares itself to decode it, even if the player is being told not to (Secondary Audio is OFF and Animator's Corner is disabled). This is normally not an issue, as Secondary Audio Programs are done in standard Dolby Digital or DTS.

With the Shrek series of films the Secondary Audio Programs are done with Dolby Digital Plus. The DSP in the player can't decode Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Digital TrueHD 7.1 simultaneously. This results in the player only producing 5.1, rather than 7.1, audio.

Unfortunately this seems to be a platform limitation that will not be addressed through future firmware.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

post #37842 of 39352 Old 05-22-2012, 02:48 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Deep Sigh.

I wonder what they were thinking authoring Secondary Audio as DD Plus? Talk about overkill....

Anyway, thanks for posting the explanation!
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #37843 of 39352 Old 05-22-2012, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
DD plus in Shrek? Prolly ported from HD-DVD releases.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #37844 of 39352 Old 05-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ It's in the Secondary Audio. That's the thing that boggles the mind. There's no point in doing anything fancy with Secondary Audio.
--Bob

post #37845 of 39352 Old 05-22-2012, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

Doesn't really qualify as "cleaning", you need to open it up and use a q-tip with alcohol.

Sometimes those lens cleaning discs with tiny brushes built-in can do the trick. However I also recommend lifting the cover to blow the dust out. These units have fans which get caked in dust and draw a lot of dusty air over the internal heatsinks, which could cause performance problems.

I've never actually had to manually scrub the optics with alcohol, nor do I relish the thought. That would be a last resort, perhaps warranted under extreme environmental conditions such as airborne grease or smoke.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #37846 of 39352 Old 05-23-2012, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

I've never actually had to manually scrub the optics with alcohol, nor do I relish the thought. That would be a last resort, perhaps warranted under extreme environmental conditions such as airborne grease or smoke.

Wow, I just had a flashback to the days of having to regularly clean the guts of my Pioneer cassette player with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol...ah, the good 'ole days.

Brad
post #37847 of 39352 Old 05-23-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindamood View Post

Wow, I just had a flashback to the days of having to regularly clean the guts of my Pioneer cassette player with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol...ah, the good 'ole days.

Me, too... though mine was a Pioneer 10.5-inch reel-to-reel flashback

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #37848 of 39352 Old 05-23-2012, 12:00 PM

Liked: 16
Mine is cleaning Pioneer open reels (RT-1020L and RT-707) and assorted cassette decks. I still have them all and relish the fumes from the radio shack tape head cleaner.
post #37849 of 39352 Old 05-23-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraweiss View Post

Mine is cleaning Pioneer open reels (RT-1020L and RT-707) and assorted cassette decks. I still have them all and relish the fumes from the radio shack tape head cleaner.

Don't forget the de-magnetizer!

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #37850 of 39352 Old 05-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
Here's my kit...

post #37851 of 39352 Old 05-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Read the FAQ!

Gosh! The 83 must be getting kinda old if this has turned into a nostalgia thread.

--Bob

post #37852 of 39352 Old 05-23-2012, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
2009? Seems like it was yesterday. How time flies...
post #37853 of 39352 Old 05-23-2012, 08:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 194
I used to use an ion gun to zap the static out of my LPs.
post #37854 of 39352 Old 05-24-2012, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

I used to use an ion gun to zap the static out of my LPs.

Don't forget the tool to align the stylus.
post #37855 of 39352 Old 05-25-2012, 04:56 AM

Wow, are you guys are bringing back memories. I still have my Revox 10 inch reel to reel, belt-driven, synchronous-motored LP player and a shelf full of LPs. Lost all my tapes in my last move.

At one time, I tried using the bulk tape eraser on Sony digital vidio tapes -it had absolutely no effect on them.

Alan
post #37856 of 39352 Old 05-25-2012, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon (Home Farm, Emmerdale, Yorks)
Quote:
Originally Posted by offten View Post

Wow, are you guys are bringing back memories. I still have my Revox 10 inch reel to reel, belt-driven, synchronous-motored LP player and a shelf full of LPs. Lost all my tapes in my last move.

At one time, I tried using the bulk tape eraser on Sony digital vidio tapes -it had absolutely no effect on them.

Alan

I'll see your Revox and raise you with my Nakamichi Dragon. In its day . . .

Now it's on a shelf in the closet. Not even sure if it powers on any more.
post #37857 of 39352 Old 05-25-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I used to drool over the overpriced dragon in Tech HiFi.

Matt
post #37858 of 39352 Old 05-25-2012, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Just wanted to report my experience with Oppo customer service. I had the not-uncommon tray eject problem. Oppo fixed it in two days, free of charge. Truly, they are a class act.
post #37859 of 39352 Old 05-25-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmfish View Post

Here's my kit...

Found one of those in a thrift store for $3. It does a great job cleaning and demagging my Akai GX-646 and GX-747.

I love my Oppo's but nothing is more impressive than watching a 10.5" reel to reel at work!
post #37860 of 39352 Old 05-27-2012, 02:56 AM

is it possible to play dsd on a usb thumb drive?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page