Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1306 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #39151 of 39352 Old 01-17-2014, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can also confirm that my 83SE, after exhibiting the drawer-not-opening problem for quite a while, has started to intermittently close the drawer by itself. I'll be sending it to Oppo for loader replacement.

Does anyone know if Oppo also replaces the laser and traverse assembly when they replace the loader?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39152 of 39352 Old 01-17-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foothill View Post

I can also confirm that my 83SE, after exhibiting the drawer-not-opening problem for quite a while, has started to intermittently close the drawer by itself. I'll be sending it to Oppo for loader replacement.

Does anyone know if Oppo also replaces the laser and traverse assembly when they replace the loader?

Yes they take the whole drive

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #39153 of 39352 Old 01-18-2014, 12:30 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

So for what ever reason Blue Underground's disc of The Bird With the Crystal Plumage makes the 83 vibrate and squeak terribly.

I've tested this on multiple different 83s and with several different copied.

Any reasons why?

I've posted here before about my BDP-83SE having a vibration problem with certain discs...

I have decided that it's definitely an imbalanced disc issue, and this unit seems to very highly sensitive to even slight imbalances in a disc

the worst by far are rental or library discs that have barcodes, security tags, lamination, etc. applied to the top surface... these will cause vibration 100% of the time, unless the items are applied in an opposing fashion, so the disc has its balance corrected (like lead weights added to car tires...)

I was able to "fix" the worst discs by temporarily applying 1-3 layers of masking tape on the disc 1-2" long, located carefully opposite the offending item... clean commercial discs or CD-R burns play just fine, no vibration... personally, I have yet to find an off-balance plain disc caused by an off-centre hole, but surely this would cause and imbalance and hence also a vibration

I also was able to great reduce my vibration problem (or make it less visible!), by placing a heavy item on TOP of my Oppo player... eg. I have my PVR sitting on top now

I did contact Oppo, and they offered to take in (& possibly fix?) the player, but being in Canada I decided it was not worth the cost, hassle & risk... I also doubt this can be fixed, and it's simply an issue inherent to the hardware (IMO)
post #39154 of 39352 Old 01-18-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 194
^^^
I strongly recommend NOT putting any sticky thing like tape on a disc. Even if it does fix a balance issue, the risk of having that come loose while the disc is in the player is high. The result could be pretty unpleasant.
post #39155 of 39352 Old 01-18-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

^^^
I strongly recommend NOT putting any sticky thing like tape on a disc. Even if it does fix a balance issue, the risk of having that come loose while the disc is in the player is high. The result could be pretty unpleasant.

I agree... it was just temporary (to play that disc) and I made sure to really flatten it down... masking tape can be pressed down very securely, and it was easy to remove

I put it on a few library/rental discs, and removed after playing (played usually only once or twice)
post #39156 of 39352 Old 01-18-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssouci View Post

and it was easy to remove

Which is my point. The heat and centrifugal force can pull it right off inside the drive.
post #39157 of 39352 Old 01-18-2014, 05:28 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

centrifugal force
There's no such force.
post #39158 of 39352 Old 01-19-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssouci View Post

the worst by far are rental or library discs that have barcodes, security tags, lamination, etc. applied to the top surface... these will cause vibration 100% of the time, unless the items are applied in an opposing fashion, so the disc has its balance corrected (like lead weights added to car tires...)

I was able to "fix" the worst discs by temporarily applying 1-3 layers of masking tape on the disc 1-2" long, located carefully opposite the offending item... clean commercial discs or CD-R burns play just fine, no vibration... personally, I have yet to find an off-balance plain disc caused by an off-centre hole

You are slowly killing your player feeding it that garbage.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #39159 of 39352 Old 01-19-2014, 07:19 PM

HI, I have a BDP83SE that I got several years ago. I have never updated the software in it. If I just go to the latest update, which seems to be in July of 2012 and install it will that catch me up on the other updates or do I need to do them one at a time..
Thanks,
Scott
post #39160 of 39352 Old 01-19-2014, 07:25 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 775
One update, will bring you up to date for the Main firmware, and should also bring you up to date for the Loader and Sub/MCU firmware.

Check all 3 version numbers after the update against what's on the OPPO Support page for the 83SE. And if any are not updated, email or call OPPO and they'll tell you how to take care of that:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/blu-ray-BDP-83-Support.aspx

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #39161 of 39352 Old 01-19-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

One update, will bring you up to date for the Main firmware, and should also bring you up to date for the Loader and Sub/MCU firmware.

Check all 3 version numbers after the update against what's on the OPPO Support page for the 83SE. And if any are not updated, email or call OPPO and they'll tell you how to take care of that:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/blu-ray-BDP-83-Support.aspx

--Bob

Thank you !!!
post #39162 of 39352 Old 01-23-2014, 05:07 PM

I just want to confirm whether or not high resolution DVD-Audio play through HDMI on an Oppo BDP 83. I was doing some research on the internet, and someone from dvdtalk.com said this:

"Either way you go nearly all of the SACD and DVD-Audio players require (due to copyright worries) the player to be hooked up via the 6-channel analog inputs to the receiver to listen to the high-resolution material. Given that most reasonably-priced receivers have only one set of 6-channel inputs, users who already have one format and want to upgrade to another will find it nearly impossible. Retailers are also finding it difficult explaining the need for the 6-Channel hook-ups to customers who are used to the plug-and-play ease of CDs. Many users have also complained about the lack (or lackluster) bass management in several players capable of one format or the other."

I have the capability to hook up through the analog inputs, but I'm trying to avoid that, and I'm wanting to purchase a used BDP 83. Anybody know the answer here?

post #39163 of 39352 Old 01-23-2014, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLEEBS View Post

I just want to confirm whether or not high resolution DVD-Audio play through HDMI on an Oppo BDP 83. I was doing some research on the internet, and someone from dvdtalk.com said this:

"Either way you go nearly all of the SACD and DVD-Audio players require (due to copyright worries) the player to be hooked up via the 6-channel analog inputs to the receiver to listen to the high-resolution material. Given that most reasonably-priced receivers have only one set of 6-channel inputs, users who already have one format and want to upgrade to another will find it nearly impossible. Retailers are also finding it difficult explaining the need for the 6-Channel hook-ups to customers who are used to the plug-and-play ease of CDs. Many users have also complained about the lack (or lackluster) bass management in several players capable of one format or the other."

I have the capability to hook up through the analog inputs, but I'm trying to avoid that, and I'm wanting to purchase a used BDP 83. Anybody know the answer here?

That person's info is woefully out of date. Sure, before HDMI came along and only optical was available, that statement was true. But over HDMI you definitely get the full hi res audio from DVD-audio discs and SACDs.

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #39164 of 39352 Old 01-23-2014, 07:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Quote:

I just want to confirm whether or not high resolution DVD-Audio play through HDMI on an Oppo BDP 83. . . . .

Yes. It does.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #39165 of 39352 Old 01-24-2014, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:

I'll echo the above. I have a BDP-83 and play DVD-A with abandon via HDMI.
post #39166 of 39352 Old 01-24-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

HDMI is the way to go for me, as I have eliminated a whole set of interconnect cables, which are inevitably going to have some effect on the sound. I listen to DVD-Audio up to 192/24 resolution via HDMI into my Onkyo receiver. I also have the Oppo set to send DSD to the Onkyo for my SACDs.

post #39167 of 39352 Old 01-27-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraser View Post

I had the exact same problem as you, reported in this thread: tray opening and not staying open, closing quickly. Very hard to get a disc out, or in! I had the same reservations as you since I'm in Canada too, but mine has the original loader (still kicking strong after >7k hours).

Anyway, open 'er up and clean the lens very carefully (since you're in there...) with iso alcohol and IMO what's more important/relevant here is to clean the rails the tray slides on. It seems that any dust thrown off the spinning discs gets stuck to the very small amount of lube on those rails. My guess is eventually the dust builds up so that it provides enough friction to the opening tray that the sensing mechanism thinks that the tray is being pushed close (yes, you can do that, but probably shouldn't). Lightly re-lube, I used a tiny bit of silicone-based lube.

Don't know how old your player is, but since you solder, check the large PS caps. Mine were leaky, they aren't rated for anywhere near 7k power-on hours (probably less than half that based on the manufacturer's other offerings, though these are "custom" caps it appears) and mine showed distinct (but not too messy) leakage. Easy to replace, ask later if you need/want to replace with what I chose.

OPPO doesn't appear to care if you open up your player, say for cleaning or region mod installation etc. In fact they'll probably suggest a lens cleaning first for loader probs. I guess a dirty lens can cause loader probs, but in my case it was cleaning the rails that fixed it for me.

FIXED!!!

many thanks Cfraser, I've used your reply to fix my BDP-83SE unit -- thus saving the cost, trouble & risk of sending the unit back to Oppo in the USA

here's what I did:

TRAY FIX
- unplugged unit
- removed top cover (note: must swing cover up by almost 45 degrees to be able to pull it away)
- opened up the loader unit by removed 2X Phillips screws + peeling back the 2 strips of "metal mesh" tape from each side... this exposed the inner workings including the laser lens
- from bottomside of cabinet, stuck a wooden stick into the "manual tray release" slot and pushed to one side... this unlocked the sliding tray so I could manually move it in/out
- checked visually for any problems, or maybe a sensor or switch??? (found nothing obvious)
- cleaned off any reside in the tray guide slots on each side... found only a small bit of dust in clumps
- carefully applied some synthetic silicone based grease (actually, fishing reel grease) to all tray guide slot contact surfaces... did this on both the top and bottom sides, using a thin pointed wooden stick (or toothpick?) to prevent applying too much grease... worked the tray back & forth by hand to spread grease out... wiped any excess off
- also applied a small bit of grease along one sliding surface of the white plastic assembly that slides back & forth when the tray is fully opened (this was probably unnecessary)
- also added a bit of grease on the sprocket drive teeth, and in a funny curved "channel" on the bottomside of the tray where a pin goes in & out... only a wee bit
- here's a photo showing tray underside... the slider channel where I put grease is along the edge, the funny curved channel can also be seen (hockey-stick shaped):

OTHER: LENS CLEAN
- while I was in there, I blew everything out with compressed air, being careful around the very delicate laser lens! (my unit was actually quite clean inside)... then I cleaned the laser lenses (2 actually, side-by-side) using 99% isopropyl alcohol applied with a clean soft artist's brush in several passes.. did this VERY carefully and lightly
- reassembled and closed everything in reverse order

OTHER: CAPACITORS
I did notice the 2 possibly "leaky" capacitors on the power supply board (these are the 2 bigger caps on that board)... HOWEVER, I do NOT think these were leaky, but rather that it's only some brownish *GLUE* that is used to hold these big caps down firmly... this glue seems to have been applied using a paint brush, since some of the glue was even brushed up the side of one cap (messy job)... to my eye, these caps both seemed to be fine, and were not bulging or deformed and I do NOT think they were leaky... here's a photo showing the glue

then, powered the unit up and BINGO, the tray opens up each time, and finally STAYS in the open position!... used for approx. 10 discs so far and still working fine... looking good!

thanks Cfraser & others
AVfile likes this.
post #39168 of 39352 Old 01-28-2014, 01:14 PM

Can anyone please tell me what is the quality of waves (flacs are not supported) streamed by network on 83SE?

Is it possible to stream 24/192 waves in this way?

I will be very grateful for any comment

Best Regards
post #39169 of 39352 Old 01-28-2014, 01:22 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazir007 View Post

Can anyone please tell me what is the quality of waves (flacs are not supported) streamed by network on 83SE?

Is it possible to stream 24/192 waves in this way?

I will be very grateful for any comment

Best Regards

WAV files are not supported either. See the FAQ: What are the supported media file types?

The list of supported file and codec types is longer for later OPPO players.

-Bill
post #39170 of 39352 Old 01-28-2014, 01:53 PM

Thank You wmcclain for your quick response.

So, there is no way to play 24/192 waves on Oppo 83se?
post #39171 of 39352 Old 01-28-2014, 01:58 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazir007 View Post

Thank You wmcclain for your quick response.

So, there is no way to play 24/192 waves on Oppo 83se?

Not easily, although see What lossless audio file formats are supported?

-Bill
post #39172 of 39352 Old 01-28-2014, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I broke down and started using MP3. I know this is lossy, but it works.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #39173 of 39352 Old 01-29-2014, 04:32 AM

Has anyone tried to make a DVD-A from 24/192 flacs?

Please share your views on the quality of such material played on 83SE.
post #39174 of 39352 Old 01-29-2014, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Just bought one of these from someone off this forum.

I am using it for music dvds and USB music only.
It is hooked up to an old 70s era receiver. I am using the 2-channel from the Oppo to the Aux on the receiver.
It is not hooked to a TV so I have no onscreen setup menu to use.

My question is this. When I have a music dvd and music usb installed how do I switch from one to the other using the remote control?
Right now I have found the only way to do this is open the drawer and take the dvd out and then I can use the USB. Same with the USB I would have to take it out to use the DVD.
I would prefer to just switch using the remote control.
post #39175 of 39352 Old 01-29-2014, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
With out a screen you will have to rely on the front display. Press either the source or home button and then arrow down. If the display shows what source you're on then you're golden. Other wise you will have to memorize the position of the sources and navigate by button pushes, or hookup a cheap monitor. Happy hunting.

post #39176 of 39352 Old 02-01-2014, 02:17 PM

I'm having trouble playing what I think is a Region 2 disk that I burned to DVR-RW.

I realize my firmware is out of date (tried updating the firmware via USB but it didn't take). My apprehension is that the latest firmware upgrade might undo/prohibit the multi-region hack.

Here's the Firmware info:

How should I proceed?
post #39177 of 39352 Old 02-01-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 77
What region-free mod is installed on your 83?

post #39178 of 39352 Old 02-01-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

What region-free mod is installed on your 83?

Superdisk. My suspicion is that I didn't burn it correctly because I was unable to load the .iso file in Toast.
post #39179 of 39352 Old 02-01-2014, 02:44 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofpathos View Post

Superdisk. My suspicion is that I didn't burn it correctly because I was unable to load the .iso file in Toast.

Superdisc should still work. You need to burn it correctly, and must use a CD-R, not a DVD.

-Bill
post #39180 of 39352 Old 02-01-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Superdisc should still work. You need to burn it correctly, and must use a CD-R, not a DVD.

I used the iso file from http://www.multi-region.net/oppo_bdp-83 and I'm fairly certain I burned it correctly this time, using Disk Utility and a CD-R. However, the player is not ejecting the disk on its own as the instructions state. Instead it brings up the Home Menu (Music, Movie, Photo, Setup Menu).
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page