Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1312 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #39331 of 39351 Old 05-22-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco70 View Post

That's why they are famous. My BDP-83 still going strong, next release will be upgrade time. My original 971 is still working. And the 983 is still the best up-converting DVD player of all time.

Joe

Don't forget the resale value. I got more for both my 971 and 983 than I paid for them new. Amazing.
laserjock II likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39332 of 39351 Old 06-02-2014, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi.

My 83 had never gave me any trouble before and I love it.

But suddenly my BDP-83 doesn't turn on anymore.

I haven't used for like two months. Then I rent a BR movie and when I tried to turn it on, nothing happens. No even the stand by led turns on.

I find it very strange how that could happen, because none of the other gear connected to the same energy conditioner (Panasonic Plasma, AV receiver, PS3, etc) had any problem.

My usage of it is very mildly.

Has anyone had this problem before ?

Does anyone have an idea what could have happened ?
[/B]

I don't live in USA, so to send it back to Oppo for repair would be cost prohibitive because of shipping costs and customs red tape work to do so.

Here I am afraid I won't find any tech-shop that will fix it.

Any help or input will be very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
post #39333 of 39351 Old 06-02-2014, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsidney View Post

Hi.

My 83 had never gave me any trouble before and I love it.

But suddenly my BDP-83 doesn't turn on anymore.

I haven't used for like two months. Then I rent a BR movie and when I tried to turn it on, nothing happens. No even the stand by led turns on.

I find it very strange how that could happen, because none of the other gear connected to the same energy conditioner (Panasonic Plasma, AV receiver, PS3, etc) had any problem.

My usage of it is very mildly.

Has anyone had this problem before ?

Does anyone have an idea what could have happened ?
[/B]

I don't live in USA, so to send it back to Oppo for repair would be cost prohibitive because of shipping costs and customs red tape work to do so.

Here I am afraid I won't find any tech-shop that will fix it.

Any help or input will be very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
The AC power cable is detachable.
Did you check on the unit side to make sure it is seated firmly?
dsidney likes this.
post #39334 of 39351 Old 06-02-2014, 06:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 771
^ Check the power plug both at the wall outlet and at the back of the player to make sure both ends are properly inserted. Use another device to check that the wall plug is truly live. If using a voltage adapter, make sure it is still set to the correct voltage for the player.

If no easy fix that way, unplug the player from wall power, and disconnect EVERYTHING ELSE from the player. Press and hold the power button on the front panel for a few seconds to discharge any residual power. Release that and let the player sit for about 1/2 hour. Plug the player back in (LEAVING EVERYTHING ELSE DISCONNECTED) and see if it turns on using the front panel buttons. Try both the front panel power button and the front panel Tray Open button.

If still no luck, then the player likely needs service. Odds are its power supply has failed.

Get in touch with OPPO Tech Support. If they can diagnose what needs to be replaced, they may be able to ship you the parts.
--Bob
laserjock II and dsidney like this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #39335 of 39351 Old 06-04-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post

The AC power cable is detachable.
Did you check on the unit side to make sure it is seated firmly?

Hi Laserjock II.

Yes, I checked both ends of the power cord. On the unit side the connector was kind of loose (I am sorry for my English). It was not disconnected but was a bit loose.

I pushed it back in and it was still have some up and down flexibility to move a lite. I pulled it out and put it back but it still have a bit of vertical looseness.

I don't remember to have noticed this before, but I think it should be normal that way to allow the weight of the cable to pull it a bit. This cable is very heavy and pulls the connector vertically downward.

The other end is connected to a Power Conditioner and I tested it in another outlet to make sure, but still nothing happens.

I opened the cover of the 83 and checked the fuse on the power supply board and it seems to be OK, and I didn't notice anything wrong inside or that would look even suspect.

The thing still looks like new inside. Just the usual aspect of high quality build of the Oppo's machines.

The internal part of the connector of the power cord looks normal too (I mean no visual wire broken or smell of burned wire or anything strange).

Thanks a lot for the help.
post #39336 of 39351 Old 06-04-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Check the power plug both at the wall outlet and at the back of the player to make sure both ends are properly inserted. Use another device to check that the wall plug is truly live. If using a voltage adapter, make sure it is still set to the correct voltage for the player.

If no easy fix that way, unplug the player from wall power, and disconnect EVERYTHING ELSE from the player. Press and hold the power button on the front panel for a few seconds to discharge any residual power. Release that and let the player sit for about 1/2 hour. Plug the player back in (LEAVING EVERYTHING ELSE DISCONNECTED) and see if it turns on using the front panel buttons. Try both the front panel power button and the front panel Tray Open button.

If still no luck, then the player likely needs service. Odds are its power supply has failed.

Get in touch with OPPO Tech Support. If they can diagnose what needs to be replaced, they may be able to ship you the parts.
--Bob

Bob,

Thanks for taking the time to try to help.

As you can see on my reply to Laserjock above, I tested a feel things already.

I am out of home for 16 days now and when I come back I will test your suggestions too. You are possible right on the power supply problem.

In the mean time I will connect Oppo too. They are always willing to help and they respond promptly.

I will let you guys know what will follow as soon as have new facts on this.

Thanks a lot.
post #39337 of 39351 Old 06-04-2014, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsidney View Post

Hi Laserjock II.

Yes, I checked both ends of the power cord. On the unit side the connector was kind of loose (I am sorry for my English). It was not disconnected but was a bit loose.

I pushed it back in and it was still have some up and down flexibility to move a lite. I pulled it out and put it back but it still have a bit of vertical looseness.

I don't remember to have noticed this before, but I think it should be normal that way to allow the weight of the cable to pull it a bit. This cable is very heavy and pulls the connector vertically downward.

The other end is connected to a Power Conditioner and I tested it in another outlet to make sure, but still nothing happens.

I opened the cover of the 83 and checked the fuse on the power supply board and it seems to be OK, and I didn't notice anything wrong inside or that would look even suspect.

The thing still looks like new inside. Just the usual aspect of high quality build of the Oppo's machines.

The internal part of the connector of the power cord looks normal too (I mean no visual wire broken or smell of burned wire or anything strange).

Thanks a lot for the help.
No problem, I was hoping that was the problem.
I don't remember if there are any fuses on the power board but I could check and do some voltage measurements if you are wanting any of that as well.
post #39338 of 39351 Old 06-05-2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post

No problem, I was hoping that was the problem.
I don't remember if there are any fuses on the power board but I could check and do some voltage measurements if you are wanting any of that as well.

Hi.
For sure there is a fuse on the power supply board, I saw it when I opened the player.

I didn't do any measurement though, but the fuse is visibly OK.

I appreciate the offer to do measurements but for now I will contact Oppo and see what they say about this.

If their answer didn’t help me then I will try to narrow the search to confirm the problem is in the power supply board and then I might accept your offer to help me further.

Thanks a lot for helping.
post #39339 of 39351 Old 06-06-2014, 05:36 AM

You should either check the fuse voltage or replace it. I have seen them that appear good
but have come loose from the end cap and not work.
post #39340 of 39351 Old 06-06-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
^ Agreed. You have to physically test the fuse outside the unit with at least a continuity tester.
post #39341 of 39351 Old 06-07-2014, 05:59 PM

Thanks for the tip.

I will check the voltage on the fuse too.

Oppo is willing to help me too, so I am not too concerned anymore with this.

They suggested me to do the same procedure that Bob Pariseau had suggested me above.

I believe this will reset the player to unstuck from any glitch.

In the end I will find out what is going and I will let you know.

It has never happened with my BDP-83 before and neither with my previous Oppo’s 2 DVD players.

Thanks.
post #39342 of 39351 Old 06-14-2014, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
True Detective fail?

Has anyone else had problems with this disc set on the BDP-83? Plays fine on the PS3, but doesn't finish loading or play at all on the 83. Thanks for any help.
post #39343 of 39351 Old 06-14-2014, 11:34 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjamesk View Post
Has anyone else had problems with this disc set on the BDP-83? Plays fine on the PS3, but doesn't finish loading or play at all on the 83. Thanks for any help.
I've seen no reports. Have you tried this procedure: What do I do if a Blu-ray disc will not load or play, or if it freezes the player?

-Bill
post #39344 of 39351 Old 06-14-2014, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
I've seen no reports. Have you tried this procedure: What do I do if a Blu-ray disc will not load or play, or if it freezes the player?

-Bill
Thanks Bill. That took care of it. I've had this player since its introduction and this is the first issue with any disc.
post #39345 of 39351 Old 06-14-2014, 01:13 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjamesk View Post
Thanks Bill. That took care of it. I've had this player since its introduction and this is the first issue with any disc.
Very good!

We blame the disc authors for sloppy java programming on their titles, but the player could probably handle the issues more gracefully. It doesn't seem to happen as often on later models.

-Bill
post #39346 of 39351 Old 06-19-2014, 06:59 AM

Liked: 45
I was having the 'drawer not wanting to open' problem with my 83. I'm retiring the player down to the rec. room so I sent the unit back to Oppo for repair. I doubt my kids will remember to always leave a disc in the player.

Cleaned, repaired, updated and sent back (with better packaging and a new tote bag) at zero cost.

They easily got my $1,200 for my next player.
AVfile likes this.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #39347 of 39351 Old 06-19-2014, 07:10 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post

Welcome to the cult!

-Bill
post #39348 of 39351 Old 06-20-2014, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post
I was having the 'drawer not wanting to open' problem with my 83. I'm retiring the player down to the rec. room so I sent the unit back to Oppo for repair. I doubt my kids will remember to always leave a disc in the player.

Cleaned, repaired, updated and sent back (with better packaging and a new tote bag) at zero cost.

After a lightning strike damaged my gear, I sent my BDP-83SE to Oppo for repair ($79 total). It went out on a Monday. It was back in my system four days later. Granted, I benefitted from being in Calif., thus cutting shipping time. But I got it back, fully repaired, while I was still waiting for another vendor to merely crack open the unit I sent to them.
post #39349 of 39351 Old 06-27-2014, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Brand-new OPPO BDP-83 owner here (the unit is used though...)

Just sayin' hey. Lovin' it, so far!!!
post #39350 of 39351 Old 07-05-2014, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Anyone else having problems playing 300 Rise Of An Empire on your 83 I've tried everything unplugging power erase storage. But I can put the standard DVD in and it'll play just fine or I guess I could always play it on my 10 year old Panasonic BD10A but prefer to watch it through my projector on my 106 inch screen. Being a double Amputee it get a little hard crawling in and out of a wheelchair to try and get this Oppo to work.
post #39351 of 39351 Old 07-05-2014, 11:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 771
^ Report the disc to OPPO and they can check it out. Give them the bar code number off the disc packaging to be sure they are looking at the identical version.

Try changing your BD-Live setting. Some discs need that turned OFF. Some need it turned ON even if you do not have networking set up.
--Bob
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page