Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1316 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #39451 of 39459 Old Today, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
When you received the player, was the original cable that was removed to install the region free mod included? If so, you could remove the region free mod and reinstall the original cable. At that point, I'd probably re-install the latest firmware and reset to factory defaults. If all is well at that point, you could either reinstall the region free mod and hope that it works properly at that point or just continue to use the player without the region free mod.
Even with the mod in this still plays original region A discs. I could go down to my cellar dig out the box as the original cable is still in there somewhere. I suspect it won't make a difference, but who knows maybe I would pick up a similar chip as I have seen them for about 30 euros.

Upgrade like I said is not 100% a bad idea as at least I could get 3D, but I think with possible 4K or other formats to come and the price differences I could better use the money. But my VT60 begs for some quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39452 of 39459 Old Today, 09:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by 807recordings View Post
As I have gone through just about everything the only part left would be to believe the chip is dead. Problem is I am not sure who manufactured this but after a lot of searching this seems to be similar or looks the same http://www.imegstore.com/download/ma...STRUCTIONS.pdf

Any ideas who's chip this is? I might just sell the Blu-ray as is for a newer model but the prices here in Europe for the 103 or ideally 105 is just insane.
I'm pretty sure that is not the JVB Digital mod kit, the instructions are different and even the installation is different from the one I used in my BDP-83, and I don't see how the SE model would be different.

You could try sending them a copy of that install document asking if they recognize it, worst case they'd just say they don't know, but I bet there's a good chance they do know.

Have you pulled the mod and looked at that board very closely to be sure the manufacture hasn't printed their name on it somewhere? I don't see anything on the top but maybe on the bottom?
post #39453 of 39459 Old Today, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I'm pretty sure that is not the JVB Digital mod kit, the instructions are different and even the installation is different from the one I used in my BDP-83, and I don't see how the SE model would be different.

You could try sending them a copy of that install document asking if they recognize it, worst case they'd just say they don't know, but I bet there's a good chance they do know.

Have you pulled the mod and looked at that board very closely to be sure the manufacture hasn't printed their name on it somewhere? I don't see anything on the top but maybe on the bottom?
Ya I might shoot them an email just to see.
I never took it out as it is sort of stuck in with the foam tape but I looked as best I could and could not notice any marking.
post #39454 of 39459 Old Today, 09:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Ya I might shoot them an email just to see.
I never took it out as it is sort of stuck in with the foam tape but I looked as best I could and could not notice any marking.
You may have to pull/peel the mounting tape off to see if there's any markings on the underside of the board.
post #39455 of 39459 Old Today, 10:02 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Even with the mod in this still plays original region A discs. I could go down to my cellar dig out the box as the original cable is still in there somewhere. I suspect it won't make a difference, but who knows maybe I would pick up a similar chip as I have seen them for about 30 euros.
The primary point in (temporarily) removing the mod is to determine if the problem is with the mod or with the player itself. Doing this diagnostic wouldn't cost anything as long as you have the original cable.
post #39456 of 39459 Old Today, 10:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
The primary point in (temporarily) removing the mod is to determine if the problem is with the mod or with the player itself. Doing this diagnostic wouldn't cost anything as long as you have the original cable.
Yes, agreed, that would be the number one thing to do, worry about the region mod after determining if the player itself operates as it should.
post #39457 of 39459 Old Today, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
As for image quality, be sure to check the calibration of your display using a calibration disc in the OPPO -- such as Spears & Munsil, v2, available from OPPO. You may very well discover that the "best" settings in your display for the OPPO are different from what you have been using with the other player. (Picture Adjustment settings in the OPPO itself should be left at their Factory Default (0) values.)

Earlier there was a bit of "blockiness" in areas where there was a subtle color gradient, but the picture quality of MKV files appears to have improved.

I have the Spears & Munsil calibration Blu Ray, but I cannot bare to sit through hours of those tedious test patterns again. I took snaps of all the menu settings before doing the factory reset, so I should be okay. The only setting that wasn't set to zero in Picture Adjustment was brightness, which was -1.
post #39458 of 39459 Old Today, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
As I have gone through just about everything the only part left would be to believe the chip is dead. Problem is I am not sure who manufactured this but after a lot of searching this seems to be similar or looks the same http://www.imegstore.com/download/ma...STRUCTIONS.pdf

Any ideas who's chip this is? I might just sell the Blu-ray as is for a newer model but the prices here in Europe for the 103 or ideally 105 is just insane.

Looks like my JVB Mod. I don't know if other companies makes the same MODs.
post #39459 of 39459 Old Today, 05:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsidney View Post
Looks like my JVB Mod. I don't know if other companies makes the same MODs.
I don't remember that extra cable off the board, but it's been awhile since I put it in so it very well could be the JVB mod.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page