Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1316 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #39451 of 39473 Old 09-14-2014, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
When you received the player, was the original cable that was removed to install the region free mod included? If so, you could remove the region free mod and reinstall the original cable. At that point, I'd probably re-install the latest firmware and reset to factory defaults. If all is well at that point, you could either reinstall the region free mod and hope that it works properly at that point or just continue to use the player without the region free mod.
Even with the mod in this still plays original region A discs. I could go down to my cellar dig out the box as the original cable is still in there somewhere. I suspect it won't make a difference, but who knows maybe I would pick up a similar chip as I have seen them for about 30 euros.

Upgrade like I said is not 100% a bad idea as at least I could get 3D, but I think with possible 4K or other formats to come and the price differences I could better use the money. But my VT60 begs for some quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39452 of 39473 Old 09-14-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by 807recordings View Post
As I have gone through just about everything the only part left would be to believe the chip is dead. Problem is I am not sure who manufactured this but after a lot of searching this seems to be similar or looks the same http://www.imegstore.com/download/ma...STRUCTIONS.pdf

Any ideas who's chip this is? I might just sell the Blu-ray as is for a newer model but the prices here in Europe for the 103 or ideally 105 is just insane.
I'm pretty sure that is not the JVB Digital mod kit, the instructions are different and even the installation is different from the one I used in my BDP-83, and I don't see how the SE model would be different.

You could try sending them a copy of that install document asking if they recognize it, worst case they'd just say they don't know, but I bet there's a good chance they do know.

Have you pulled the mod and looked at that board very closely to be sure the manufacture hasn't printed their name on it somewhere? I don't see anything on the top but maybe on the bottom?
post #39453 of 39473 Old 09-14-2014, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I'm pretty sure that is not the JVB Digital mod kit, the instructions are different and even the installation is different from the one I used in my BDP-83, and I don't see how the SE model would be different.

You could try sending them a copy of that install document asking if they recognize it, worst case they'd just say they don't know, but I bet there's a good chance they do know.

Have you pulled the mod and looked at that board very closely to be sure the manufacture hasn't printed their name on it somewhere? I don't see anything on the top but maybe on the bottom?
Ya I might shoot them an email just to see.
I never took it out as it is sort of stuck in with the foam tape but I looked as best I could and could not notice any marking.
post #39454 of 39473 Old 09-14-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Ya I might shoot them an email just to see.
I never took it out as it is sort of stuck in with the foam tape but I looked as best I could and could not notice any marking.
You may have to pull/peel the mounting tape off to see if there's any markings on the underside of the board.
post #39455 of 39473 Old 09-14-2014, 10:02 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Even with the mod in this still plays original region A discs. I could go down to my cellar dig out the box as the original cable is still in there somewhere. I suspect it won't make a difference, but who knows maybe I would pick up a similar chip as I have seen them for about 30 euros.
The primary point in (temporarily) removing the mod is to determine if the problem is with the mod or with the player itself. Doing this diagnostic wouldn't cost anything as long as you have the original cable.
post #39456 of 39473 Old 09-14-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
The primary point in (temporarily) removing the mod is to determine if the problem is with the mod or with the player itself. Doing this diagnostic wouldn't cost anything as long as you have the original cable.
Yes, agreed, that would be the number one thing to do, worry about the region mod after determining if the player itself operates as it should.
post #39457 of 39473 Old 09-14-2014, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
As for image quality, be sure to check the calibration of your display using a calibration disc in the OPPO -- such as Spears & Munsil, v2, available from OPPO. You may very well discover that the "best" settings in your display for the OPPO are different from what you have been using with the other player. (Picture Adjustment settings in the OPPO itself should be left at their Factory Default (0) values.)

Earlier there was a bit of "blockiness" in areas where there was a subtle color gradient, but the picture quality of MKV files appears to have improved.

I have the Spears & Munsil calibration Blu Ray, but I cannot bare to sit through hours of those tedious test patterns again. I took snaps of all the menu settings before doing the factory reset, so I should be okay. The only setting that wasn't set to zero in Picture Adjustment was brightness, which was -1.
post #39458 of 39473 Old 09-14-2014, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
As I have gone through just about everything the only part left would be to believe the chip is dead. Problem is I am not sure who manufactured this but after a lot of searching this seems to be similar or looks the same http://www.imegstore.com/download/ma...STRUCTIONS.pdf

Any ideas who's chip this is? I might just sell the Blu-ray as is for a newer model but the prices here in Europe for the 103 or ideally 105 is just insane.

Looks like my JVB Mod. I don't know if other companies makes the same MODs.
post #39459 of 39473 Old 09-14-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsidney View Post
Looks like my JVB Mod. I don't know if other companies makes the same MODs.
I don't remember that extra cable off the board, but it's been awhile since I put it in so it very well could be the JVB mod.
post #39460 of 39473 Old 09-15-2014, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmoto View Post
I've been finding pretty often my BDP-83 is freezing when changing layers on DVDs. Sad that more and more I have to go back to my old piece of crap Toshiba HD-DVD player. Could opening it up and cleaning the laser help this?

Also pains me every time lately that my wife says, "Let's just get a new Blu-ray player. This thing fails more often than it works."

Thanks.
Ken,

Just saw your post. Your problem is not unknown. It may help if you will take a look at previous posts, starting with #39374 et al. Good luck.

Ben
post #39461 of 39473 Old 09-15-2014, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thanks for later comments to me. Sat. night we went to watch a DVD and it wouldn't even start up. Kept on switching between to modes on the display. After just watching it on the Toshiba, yesterday I took the cover off and cleaned around the laser head and spindle, as Oppo once directed me. So far so good, at least with the DVD that wouldn't even start up.

Are Oppo players more sensitive than other brands? Ultimately, I would have sent in for service, but just curious.

And btw, to answer an earlier question about the service I wasn't satisfied with, a long time again the tray would eject slightly, then stop. I'd have to try it a few times before the tray would fully come out. I think it started doing it again shortly after it came back from service. But it was a long time again and now the tray is working ok, so really my only hesitation for sending it in is finding a box for it and dealing with shipping it. But hopefully it's good for now after the cleaning yesterday. I just hope they release a firmware update to address some incompatible discs, like the Stripes BD.
post #39462 of 39473 Old 09-15-2014, 06:21 AM

Thanks for later comments to me. Sat. night we went to watch a DVD and it wouldn't even start up. Kept on switching between to modes on the display. After just watching it on the Toshiba, yesterday I took the cover off and cleaned around the laser head and spindle, as Oppo once directed me. So far so good, at least with the DVD that wouldn't even start up.

Are Oppo players more sensitive than other brands? Ultimately, I would have sent in for service, but just curious.

And btw, to answer an earlier question about the service I wasn't satisfied with, a long time again the tray would eject slightly, then stop. I'd have to try it a few times before the tray would fully come out. I think it started doing it again shortly after it came back from service. But it was a long time again and now the tray is working ok, so really my only hesitation for sending it in is finding a box for it and dealing with shipping it. But hopefully it's good for now after the cleaning yesterday. I just hope they release a firmware update to address some incompatible discs, like the Stripes BD.
post #39463 of 39473 Old 09-15-2014, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmoto View Post
But it was a long time again and now the tray is working ok, so really my only hesitation for sending it in is finding a box for it and dealing with shipping it.
Oppo can usually provide you with a box at a reasonable cost. When I had my 83 modified to an 83SE several years ago, I had discarded the original box. I contacted Oppo and they sent me a box with all the needed packing materials. I don't remember what it cost but it was under $20 I'm sure. Part of the excellent Oppo customer service.

post #39464 of 39473 Old 09-15-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
Oppo can usually provide you with a box at a reasonable cost. When I had my 83 modified to an 83SE several years ago, I had discarded the original box. I contacted Oppo and they sent me a box with all the needed packing materials. I don't remember what it cost but it was under $20 I'm sure. Part of the excellent Oppo customer service.
Thanks, that's good to know. I did the exact same conversion, but I still had the original box to ship it back in.
post #39465 of 39473 Old 09-15-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Anybody here have an issue with playing Disc 1 of Spartacus: Blood and Sand BD? Probably not, or there'd be some mention in this thread (can't find any). I got this quite a while ago (when it was rather cheap), and finally got around to starting it; the disc looks pristine. I do see there were lots of probs with Disc 3 Ep. 1 though.

The problem is getting to the main menu, the 83 locks up after the last (i.e. the second I think) movie promo, just before playing some wrestling disc advert. With about 6 restarts I did manage to get past the advert once, and what I think I did that successful time was actually play through the movie promos and into the advert, rather than try to skip over the advert...that seems to probably be the key. This stupid disc is already painful enough to get going each time, what with there being Java but no resume/bookmark feature on a disc almost 4 hours long, so not being able to skip past the pre junk is more annoyance.

The PS3 and a no-name player have no probs with the disc (have a 93 in another system but this is an 83 question as obviously I prefer it in the main system ), so it's not like I can't watch it. I suppose my main wonderment is after thousands of DVDs and more than a k of BDs this is the first non-obviously-damaged/defective disc it has refused to play properly. I have heard of a few others though. It's like we got past the hump of strange BD authoring when the 83 was still more current, so we got FW updates, and haven't really needed any for (all but a few) mainstream discs in quite a while...lucky. The PS3 still kills the 83 for most BD loading times though (it still gets FW updates), so there is some incentive to use it with some of the slow-loading TV BDs (e.g. Modern Family, any season, is a real bad one on the 83) i.e. discs you probably won't watch all at once.

Edit: it's actually the third movie promo/trailer when the 83 chokes, and it's a UFC disc ad not wrestling (which is not the prob after all). You'll have to exuse me as I only ever managed to get them to play once...

Last edited by cfraser; 09-15-2014 at 01:43 PM.
post #39466 of 39473 Old 09-15-2014, 10:43 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraser View Post
Anybody here have an issue with playing Disc 1 of Spartacus: Blood and Sand BD?
Did you try this procedure: What do I do if a Blu-ray disc will not load or play, or if it freezes the player?

It's 99% probability that the java menus on the disc is the source of the problem.

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #39467 of 39473 Old 09-15-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

^ Yes, I did those things, got >8k hours on my 83! I do them without even thinking, whenever I encounter a BD startup glitch (quite rare), so forgot to mention.

Unlike some past startup glitches, this one didn't totally disable the 83, like when you need to press the (front panel) power switch for quite a while to get it to power down, or even remove the AC (had that happen once, long ago). Never encountered anything like this where it loads fine and plays a bit, then (almost) always stops/chokes at some point before the main menu.

Do note that it seems it will play through the problem point, will just not skip over the ad that seems to be the problem. So yeah, not a flaw in the data stream per se, likely some shady authoring, annoying because it's an ad that's the prob, not even a possibly entertaining movie promo (one promo there is for Law Abiding Citizen, and it's a good one [I have the BD] and I still actually watched it several times lol).

There is one thing I just thought of while typing this: I removed my "external" Persistent Storage and went back to internal a couple months ago. The only reason I used external is it was necessary for streaming, which I hardly ever do now with the 83, so I freed the USB stick. I now do vaguely recall that some time ago I did a test on the internal persistent storage and determined it was NOT in perfect shape. I don't even remember how I tested it, but it was sometimes buggy. Don't know what type of chip they used, but they do have a "limited" number of write times, amount depending on type/brand, just as sticks do.

This "conversation", just getting it out and thinking while typing, made me recall this, and I won't be surprised if going "external" again fixes the prob. So thanks for listening, OPPO-shrink... Will report back whether this fixes it, for the record and possibly others' future ref.

Last edited by cfraser; 09-15-2014 at 11:42 AM.
post #39468 of 39473 Old 09-15-2014, 11:54 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 866
^ In addition to reports of some discs which will only work if BD-Live is turned OFF, there are other discs which only work if BD-Live is turned ON -- even though no networking is connected to the player. Stupid Studio Programming Tricks. So give that a try, too.

If that doesn't do it, email the disc info (e.g., bar code number from the packaging) to OPPO Tech Support and they can put it on the weird disc list and check it out.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #39469 of 39473 Old 09-15-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

^ Will try that too. This disc is something like 4 years old; I can't be the only 83 owner who bought/played S1 in that time, Shirley? Found no reports of probs with S1 Disc 1 by googling, thus my original query since it had to be an 83 thing, or a "my 83" thing, because the disc played fine in other BDPs. Disc 3 is another potential issue, not there yet, will test it later since I now know about it, not that I can exchange my set after all this time...I didn't even know what the program was, I just said: 4xBD-50s, Romans, gladiators, blood, nudity, $10...I'm in.

Edit: well, it doesn't work reliably whether it's internal or external persistent storage, so that's not the prob. It also doesn't work reliably whether BD-Live is On or Off, with internal or external PS, so that's not it either.

It does seem to work reliably if I erase Persistent Storage every time I start/stop the BD, the old "reliable" cure, and play a bit of each promo before skipping to the next one. Weird...the things I/we go through to not not use the 83 (plenty of other options here).

Edit again: cancel that last bit. It worked reliably 3 times in a row when testing, but when I went to actually watch the BD several hours later (83 "cold", as when testing before), it took 4 tries to get to the menu if I did any skipping at all. So I learned nothing, just an anomalous disc.

Why do I "insist" on watching it with the 83? It looks significantly better (we all noticed...) vs the PS3 (original type, latest FW) and the no-name BDP. I use the players' RGB HDMI outputs because I have one of the few types of plasma that work better with RGB (less internal processing). The 83 output is noticeably superior in the black levels, a big deal with an (instrument) calibrated Kuro, and especially so with the video for this program (it's very good, though stylized). There is probably something (that I long forget) about the PS3's RGB output that is more "compressed" compared to the 83's, whatever it is it's quite visible here, though the PS3 still looks good without the 83 to compare to.

Last edited by cfraser; 09-16-2014 at 11:14 AM.
post #39470 of 39473 Old 09-15-2014, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Any BDP-83 owner use anything in their Picture Adjustments menu?

The only thing I have adjusted beyond "0" (normal) is the Noise Reduction, which I keep set at "+4" (based on a LOT of back-and-forthing between me and Oppo via email and based on my NR requirements and what they believed was the most ideal setting so as not to compromise much detail)...

Do any of you use the Detail Enhancer or Edge Enhancer?

post #39471 of 39473 Old 09-15-2014, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

A Question for Oppo BD Player Owners Regarding "Volume"...

I had read some conflicting things about this topic, so I figured I'd ask in here; I'd appreciate any input Oppo owners/experts can lend...

Do the Oppo Blu-ray players -- I personally own a BDP-83 -- have some kind of "volume" control that can/should be adjusted so that they "put out full volume" so to speak? I already have the "gain stage" in my Onkyo receiver the player is hooked to via HDMI (Onkyo's IntelliVolume system) raised for more volume from the unit (at a lower reading on the display) but I was wondering if the player itself has some kind of internal volume control/setting that needs to be adjusted...

Would this even matter if the player is connected digitally via HDMI for all audio and video transfer or would it only affect analog output?

post #39472 of 39473 Old 09-15-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
I had read some conflicting things about this topic, so I figured I'd ask in here; I'd appreciate any input Oppo owners/experts can lend...

Do the Oppo Blu-ray players -- I personally own a BDP-83 -- have some kind of "volume" control that can/should be adjusted so that they "put out full volume" so to speak? I already have the "gain stage" in my Onkyo receiver the player is hooked to via HDMI (Onkyo's IntelliVolume system) raised for more volume from the unit (at a lower reading on the display) but I was wondering if the player itself has some kind of internal volume control/setting that needs to be adjusted...

Would this even matter if the player is connected digitally via HDMI for all audio and video transfer or would it only affect analog output?

I have the 103 and the volume control only applies to the analog output. It's been awhile since I had the 83 but I'd assume the volume control works the same.

Bill

, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #39473 of 39473 Old 09-15-2014, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Bill.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version