Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1317 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #39481 of 39486 Old Today, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Unless you have a particularly problematic movie or other video, using these controls can only have a detrimental effect on the picture, in my opinion. The only ones that might be worth using on an item-by-item basis would be brightness and noise reduction, and then only in very small amounts. I have never found any reason to use any of them.
Skytrooper likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39482 of 39486 Old Today, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
Unless you have a particularly problematic movie or other video, using these controls can only have a detrimental effect on the picture, in my opinion. The only ones that might be worth using on an item-by-item basis would be brightness and noise reduction, and then only in very small amounts. I have never found any reason to use any of them.

Thanks Jazz...

I actually do use the Noise Reduction, setting it at "+4" based on many back-and-forth discussions I had with Oppo via email and based on what they felt was the most optimum setting before detail loss begins to creep in from using this control...

I never would have thought of playing with Brightness via the player's controls; that's something I set on my display via setup discs using the black bar pattern...

Does Detail Enhancer on the BDP-83 actually "do" anything to high definition material...I mean, does it make details actually "pop out"?

Ideally, at the end of the day, I do understand -- and I'm a passionate supporter of -- the philosophy which suggests all picture adjustments should be made first and foremost inside the display or projector either via a professional ISF calibrator or via favorite setup disc(s)...
Skytrooper likes this.

post #39483 of 39486 Old Today, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I agree adjustments should be made at the display.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #39484 of 39486 Old Today, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post
I agree adjustments should be made at the display.

+1, Sky...

BTW -- do you have any pics of your setup? I'd love to see that badass Sony LCD doin' its thing...

post #39485 of 39486 Old Today, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Thanks Jazz...

I actually do use the Noise Reduction, setting it at "+4" based on many back-and-forth discussions I had with Oppo via email and based on what they felt was the most optimum setting before detail loss begins to creep in from using this control...

I never would have thought of playing with Brightness via the player's controls; that's something I set on my display via setup discs using the black bar pattern...

Does Detail Enhancer on the BDP-83 actually "do" anything to high definition material...I mean, does it make details actually "pop out"?

Ideally, at the end of the day, I do understand -- and I'm a passionate supporter of -- the philosophy which suggests all picture adjustments should be made first and foremost inside the display or projector either via a professional ISF calibrator or via favorite setup disc(s)...
It's my understanding that it is essentially a sharpness control which, to me, means it can introduce ringing. I have a calibrated Kuro and never fool with external adjustments.

post #39486 of 39486 Old Today, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've search this thread and have similar problem of tray will not open ; I finally decided to contact Oppo customer service for service as problem persisted over 50% of time despite leaving disc in tray.

My experience mirror others and I wish to give Oppo Digital customer service credit where it is due:
* they responded to my emails within 24 hours (and on weekend days too)
*service turn around (once item received) was <5 days
* only charge was shipping to them (they covered shipping back to me and no charge for service (listed on their work order "replaced loader frame")
* machine was cleaned (it was only minimal dusty ) and they gave new cloth bag (one to be used for groceries)

In my opinion this is great customer service especially considering the BDP-83 was purchased in 2009. I've been OppoDigital customer since their 971 DVD player and this only re-inforces my remaining with them.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page