Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1317 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #39481 of 39506 Old 09-21-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Unless you have a particularly problematic movie or other video, using these controls can only have a detrimental effect on the picture, in my opinion. The only ones that might be worth using on an item-by-item basis would be brightness and noise reduction, and then only in very small amounts. I have never found any reason to use any of them.
Skytrooper likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39482 of 39506 Old 09-21-2014, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
Unless you have a particularly problematic movie or other video, using these controls can only have a detrimental effect on the picture, in my opinion. The only ones that might be worth using on an item-by-item basis would be brightness and noise reduction, and then only in very small amounts. I have never found any reason to use any of them.

Thanks Jazz...

I actually do use the Noise Reduction, setting it at "+4" based on many back-and-forth discussions I had with Oppo via email and based on what they felt was the most optimum setting before detail loss begins to creep in from using this control...

I never would have thought of playing with Brightness via the player's controls; that's something I set on my display via setup discs using the black bar pattern...

Does Detail Enhancer on the BDP-83 actually "do" anything to high definition material...I mean, does it make details actually "pop out"?

Ideally, at the end of the day, I do understand -- and I'm a passionate supporter of -- the philosophy which suggests all picture adjustments should be made first and foremost inside the display or projector either via a professional ISF calibrator or via favorite setup disc(s)...
Skytrooper likes this.

post #39483 of 39506 Old 09-21-2014, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
I agree adjustments should be made at the display.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #39484 of 39506 Old 09-21-2014, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post
I agree adjustments should be made at the display.

+1, Sky...

BTW -- do you have any pics of your setup? I'd love to see that badass Sony LCD doin' its thing...

post #39485 of 39506 Old 09-21-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Thanks Jazz...

I actually do use the Noise Reduction, setting it at "+4" based on many back-and-forth discussions I had with Oppo via email and based on what they felt was the most optimum setting before detail loss begins to creep in from using this control...

I never would have thought of playing with Brightness via the player's controls; that's something I set on my display via setup discs using the black bar pattern...

Does Detail Enhancer on the BDP-83 actually "do" anything to high definition material...I mean, does it make details actually "pop out"?

Ideally, at the end of the day, I do understand -- and I'm a passionate supporter of -- the philosophy which suggests all picture adjustments should be made first and foremost inside the display or projector either via a professional ISF calibrator or via favorite setup disc(s)...
It's my understanding that it is essentially a sharpness control which, to me, means it can introduce ringing. I have a calibrated Kuro and never fool with external adjustments.

post #39486 of 39506 Old 09-21-2014, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've search this thread and have similar problem of tray will not open ; I finally decided to contact Oppo customer service for service as problem persisted over 50% of time despite leaving disc in tray.

My experience mirror others and I wish to give Oppo Digital customer service credit where it is due:
* they responded to my emails within 24 hours (and on weekend days too)
*service turn around (once item received) was <5 days
* only charge was shipping to them (they covered shipping back to me and no charge for service (listed on their work order "replaced loader frame")
* machine was cleaned (it was only minimal dusty ) and they gave new cloth bag (one to be used for groceries)

In my opinion this is great customer service especially considering the BDP-83 was purchased in 2009. I've been OppoDigital customer since their 971 DVD player and this only re-inforces my remaining with them.
AVfile likes this.
post #39487 of 39506 Old 09-21-2014, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's my understanding that it is essentially a sharpness control which, to me, means it can introduce ringing. I have a calibrated Kuro and never fool with external adjustments.

Ahhh...indeed if it's acting like a sharpness control it can and will probably introduce ringing...I leave my sharpness on my Sony SXRD display set to "25" out of "100" based on the HD Essentials Blu-ray calibration disc that came with the BDP-83...I was just wondering what the "Detail Enhancer" did on the player itself, because there is a control on my display for this as well, but it's locked out of the picture mode I'm using and which I'm calibrated in...

That KURO must be sweet -- how big is it? Any pics?

post #39488 of 39506 Old 09-21-2014, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Vaewhongs View Post
I've search this thread and have similar problem of tray will not open ; I finally decided to contact Oppo customer service for service as problem persisted over 50% of time despite leaving disc in tray.

My experience mirror others and I wish to give Oppo Digital customer service credit where it is due:
* they responded to my emails within 24 hours (and on weekend days too)
*service turn around (once item received) was <5 days
* only charge was shipping to them (they covered shipping back to me and no charge for service (listed on their work order "replaced loader frame")
* machine was cleaned (it was only minimal dusty ) and they gave new cloth bag (one to be used for groceries)

In my opinion this is great customer service especially considering the BDP-83 was purchased in 2009. I've been OppoDigital customer since their 971 DVD player and this only re-inforces my remaining with them.

Indeed, Mike, and welcome to the forum and OPPO club!

This company's customer service is second to none; I've often said this here and in other forums that on one end of the customer service quality spectrum you have Onkyo (terrible) and on the other you have OPPO (excellent)...

Now, I too have this "stuck drawer" issue that has gotten progressively worse with my BDP-83; OPPO wanted to send me a "fix kit" of some kind for it, but I decided to just let it go and "deal with it"...what happens is, sometimes when I press the OPEN/CLOSE button on the remote, the player will go into a tantrum of sorts wondering what to do, first opening then closing, forcing me to press the button again. This happens even when I use the front panel's button sometimes as well, which OPPO themselves told me could happen -- and they said this is more than likely coming from a "command collision"...I just never looked into it further, being that I planned on replacing the player if and when OPPO releases a 4K deck in the future...

post #39489 of 39506 Old 09-22-2014, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofpathos View Post
Anyone else experience issues fast forwarding or rewinding MKV files? I can't FF more than 2x or the file will be skipped over, and any attempt to rewind will set the file to play back from the very beginning. Is there a known fix?
My firmware is up to date.
I've noticed the same thing. I was thinking it might be the result of the network connection speed as I have a wireless link between the BDP-83 and the source computer but perhaps not. Is your MKV located on a USB device?

"Your" isn't the same as "you're". "There", "their" and "they're" are also not the same. Please learn the difference.

And...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Thank you. :)
post #39490 of 39506 Old 09-22-2014, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sremick View Post
Is your MKV located on a USB device?
Yes. I've tried putting MKVs on a flash drive as well as disc (but never streaming), and both methods suffer from an inability to FF more than two speed or rewind.
post #39491 of 39506 Old 09-22-2014, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by 807recordings View Post
The player plays fine with Region A with the original cable. Also does with the kit installed.
Not sure still how that proves anything about region B but either way I ran the test.
Reset new firmware, cleared everything before placing the kit back in.
Still will beep and beep twice for region B but as soon as I place a disc in then nothing.

Similar kit is about 30 euros so not exactly bank breaking, but a pain all the same as I have better things to do with my time lately.
RESOLVED !!!!
At least for the moment.
Something strange though with my player:
1. I noticed when I took the disc out swapped regions, reset the player, erased persistent storage it always asked to resume disc. Hmmm today that got me thinking.

2. Loaded the firmware again, reset the cleared all memories, reset to default.
Did the reload, region B.
Asks to resume disc.... So a little light goes off in my head and I think WTF is it asking this for.

Go to setting and Voila in the defaults it has resume set. So I turn it off, restart the player, change regions and suddenly it works again.

Just to be sure I stuck region A in and nope. So I power down, set region A, works for that disc but not B. Reset to B and works again.

I am pretty sure I went through that before so I will just cross my fingers for the next little while. However as everything is reset I needed to go and set all my audio settings again and this lead me to notice Dolby HD on the AIX test disc will not play out my analog outputs? DTS Master, LPCM all no problem, just not the Dolby. Secondary audio is also off?
post #39492 of 39506 Old 09-22-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Has anyone watched "Captain America - Winter Soldier" on their BDP-83 or 83SE? I was an early 83 adopter, and had Oppo convert it to an 83SE - it's been a great player. Overall, very reliable (but I did need the loader replaced).

Anyway, this latest Captain America flick (a rental BD from Netflix) was distorting on every loud effect, even some not-so-loud effects. I hear a distinct crackle which sounds like clipping. My system is just 2.1, connected via the stereo analog outs (downmix is stereo, large, no trims). I have experienced this problem on rare occasions previously - once in Bourne Legacy, and a couple times in Thor - but nothing like this. Oppo support has been very responsive, but did appear reluctant to give me a straight answer until pushed. Initially it was:
"...[This is likely] due to the encoding on the disc. If the soundtrack is Dolby Digital TrueHD, then try setting Secondary Audio to ON or selecting the standard Dolby Digital soundtrack to resolve the errors".

My response... But, Capt America was DTS-HDMA. And what's this business about encoding? I already mentioned, I have a somewhat newer, cheap Samsung BD player that played the disc just fine.

Oppo:
"The Samsung player may have a newer decoder solution which incorporates Seamless Branching for Dolby Digital TrueHD, as an example. There was a running change in the Dolby Digital specifications that allowed for Seamless Branching, and older hardware solutions do not support this. This includes the BDP-8x and BDP-9x series of players.

Secondary Audio will work for both DTS and Dolby Digital soundtracks, as it will force the player to decode the audio using the standard DTS and Dolby Digital Core soundtrack, rather than the high resolution Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD Master soundtracks. This is why we had recommended this action to see if the same errors persist.

Beyond this, you are not the only customer to report issues, and we are actively looking into obtaining several newly released films so we can do product testing."

So, it's almost like they're telling me this player is obsolete - although they still talk only about DD specs, and this was DTS, so I'm still a bit skeptical. I haven't had a chance to try the Secondary Audio trick, but I don't much like the idea.
post #39493 of 39506 Old 09-22-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 807recordings View Post
RESOLVED !!!!
At least for the moment.
Something strange though with my player:
1. I noticed when I took the disc out swapped regions, reset the player, erased persistent storage it always asked to resume disc. Hmmm today that got me thinking.

2. Loaded the firmware again, reset the cleared all memories, reset to default.
Did the reload, region B.
Asks to resume disc.... So a little light goes off in my head and I think WTF is it asking this for.

Go to setting and Voila in the defaults it has resume set. So I turn it off, restart the player, change regions and suddenly it works again.

Just to be sure I stuck region A in and nope. So I power down, set region A, works for that disc but not B. Reset to B and works again.

I am pretty sure I went through that before so I will just cross my fingers for the next little while. However as everything is reset I needed to go and set all my audio settings again and this lead me to notice Dolby HD on the AIX test disc will not play out my analog outputs? DTS Master, LPCM all no problem, just not the Dolby. Secondary audio is also off?
This sounds like a bug in the mod you are using. My 83SE has the mod from Denmark and I have never seen this problem. As long as you have this simple workaround, it sounds like you'll be OK. Though you will lose the ability to watch half of something and turn the player off and then resume from where you left off the next time you start the player. You'll have to search for where you left off via fast forward or always remember to set a bookmark if you want to stop in the middle. There's always some little hassle.

post #39494 of 39506 Old 09-22-2014, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
This sounds like a bug in the mod you are using. My 83SE has the mod from Denmark and I have never seen this problem. As long as you have this simple workaround, it sounds like you'll be OK. Though you will lose the ability to watch half of something and turn the player off and then resume from where you left off the next time you start the player. You'll have to search for where you left off via fast forward or always remember to set a bookmark if you want to stop in the middle. There's always some little hassle.
Like I said before none of these issues popped up so who knows. Either way easier to resell as region free if it stays working.

Now the question is 103 or 105, but 105 seems to costly and maybe I should finally upgrade my Marantz receiver.
post #39495 of 39506 Old 09-22-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a regular 105 too. That was a logical upgrade for me from the 83SE. But if you are otherwise happy with the 83 and are going to essentially go all HDMI with a new receiver, a 103 is a more sensible choice. Only if you want to wring the last little bit of analog audio performance out of a player or the few extra features of a 105 are essential to you does a 105 make sense, IMO. The audio of the 103 is supposedly better than that of a stock 83 anyway and it makes no difference if you are going to use HDMI only.

post #39496 of 39506 Old 09-22-2014, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post
Has anyone watched "Captain America - Winter Soldier" on their BDP-83 or 83SE? I was an early 83 adopter, and had Oppo convert it to an 83SE - it's been a great player. Overall, very reliable (but I did need the loader replaced).

Anyway, this latest Captain America flick (a rental BD from Netflix) was distorting on every loud effect, even some not-so-loud effects. I hear a distinct crackle which sounds like clipping. My system is just 2.1, connected via the stereo analog outs (downmix is stereo, large, no trims). I have experienced this problem on rare occasions previously - once in Bourne Legacy, and a couple times in Thor - but nothing like this. Oppo support has been very responsive, but did appear reluctant to give me a straight answer until pushed. Initially it was:
"...[This is likely] due to the encoding on the disc. If the soundtrack is Dolby Digital TrueHD, then try setting Secondary Audio to ON or selecting the standard Dolby Digital soundtrack to resolve the errors".

My response... But, Capt America was DTS-HDMA. And what's this business about encoding? I already mentioned, I have a somewhat newer, cheap Samsung BD player that played the disc just fine.

Oppo:
"The Samsung player may have a newer decoder solution which incorporates Seamless Branching for Dolby Digital TrueHD, as an example. There was a running change in the Dolby Digital specifications that allowed for Seamless Branching, and older hardware solutions do not support this. This includes the BDP-8x and BDP-9x series of players.

Secondary Audio will work for both DTS and Dolby Digital soundtracks, as it will force the player to decode the audio using the standard DTS and Dolby Digital Core soundtrack, rather than the high resolution Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD Master soundtracks. This is why we had recommended this action to see if the same errors persist.

Beyond this, you are not the only customer to report issues, and we are actively looking into obtaining several newly released films so we can do product testing."

So, it's almost like they're telling me this player is obsolete - although they still talk only about DD specs, and this was DTS, so I'm still a bit skeptical. I haven't had a chance to try the Secondary Audio trick, but I don't much like the idea.
I watched this movie this past Saturday, mine was also a BD from Netflix. I experienced no issues, but my connection was different than yours, so my data point may not be significant. I bitstream to my Onkyo 818 and let it decode the DTS-MA 7.1

BDP-83 EAP (first 50)
post #39497 of 39506 Old 09-22-2014, 01:53 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 880
^ Using HDMI Bitstream output is the known workaround for several titles that author DTS-HD MA 7.1 beyond the DTS spec which was in effect when the decoder chip for the 83 was made. The symptom is "clipping" harshness in passages with high dynamics. Since that chip is now several generations old, it is unlikely OPPO can get that chip's manufacturer to extend its design.

If you have to use decoding in the player (e.g., for Analog output or for HDMI LPCM output to an AVR that can't itself handle DTS-HD MA) then the workaround is to set Secondary Audio ON, which, in the case of the 83, will cause the "compatibility" track from the disc to be used instead (even if no Secondary Audio feature from the disc has been selected). This will be lossy DTS 5.1 in the case of a DTS-HD MA 7.1 track. That track will decode correctly.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 09-22-2014 at 01:57 PM.
post #39498 of 39506 Old 09-22-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Bobloblaw, makes sense that you would have no issues via bitstream.

Thanks for the technical explanation, Bob, it makes more sense now (as much as it can - I'm still scratching my head as to why they would change the spec in such a way that older players would suddenly sound like garbage).

Guess I finally have the justification I've been looking for to upgrade.
post #39499 of 39506 Old 09-22-2014, 02:13 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 880
^ Yeah. DTS is not my favorite outfit.

Even Dolby has had problems with TrueHD triggered by studios deciding to use increasingly byzantine, ridiculously complex, chopped up authoring schemes in their continuing paranoia about piracy. In the case of the TrueHD stuff, the OPPO handles it correctly for both LPCM and Bitstream output -- but the AVR gets confused because the Bitstream is coming to it more chopped up than the AVR is prepared to handle. The symptom is audio dropouts.

I blame the studios in both cases as they are pushing the limits on what the specs seemingly allow them to get away with, instead of thinking in terms of customer satisfaction and restricting their authoring to a de facto standard.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #39500 of 39506 Old 09-22-2014, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oppo:

I have the BDP-83 and bought The Winter Soldier on release day (I actually watched it again just last night)...I don't experience what you're describing at any point with the MA soundtrack; I'm connected via HDMI though...

Sometimes, I will admit, Oppo's customer service replies begin to get a bit...well...cryptic and frustrating when you're trying to solve something and it seems as though they're dancing around the issue somehow; still, their support is tops compared with some others (can anyone say Onkyo?)...

post #39501 of 39506 Old 09-22-2014, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobloblaw View Post
I watched this movie this past Saturday, mine was also a BD from Netflix. I experienced no issues, but my connection was different than yours, so my data point may not be significant. I bitstream to my Onkyo 818 and let it decode the DTS-MA 7.1

That's how I do it too, Bob -- an HDMI connection so all audio gets bitstreamed from the 83 to an Onkyo 605, where the AVR decodes the DTS-MA...

post #39502 of 39506 Old 09-22-2014, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Yeah, I just watched it on my BDP-83 tonight. It was a Redbox rental which played fine. The one issue I had with the disc was how loud the sound effects and swelling orchestral music was--I'd have to turn up my speaker volume during the dialogue, and back down during certain action sequences and such.

Oh, and that annoying Marvel logo that popped up and lingered long after certain playback functions (ie. pause) was annoying as f*ck. I couldn't find any way to disable it.
post #39503 of 39506 Old 09-22-2014, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah, I just watched it on my BDP-83 tonight. It was a Redbox rental which played fine. The one issue I had with the disc was how loud the sound effects and swelling orchestral music was--I'd have to turn up my speaker volume during the dialogue, and back down during certain action sequences and such.

Oh, and that annoying Marvel logo that popped up and lingered long after certain playback functions (ie. pause) was annoying as f*ck. I couldn't find any way to disable it.

I too found the dialogue mixed far too low in relation to the effects, score, etc. -- something I've experienced in many current releases in DTS-HD Master Audio (especially the 7.1 -channel variants).

What part of New York you in?

post #39504 of 39506 Old 09-23-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the additional feedback, guys. No doubt I'm in the minority with a 2.1 HT setup using the analog outs, but the SE is no slouch in that department. I can say that otherwise, the downmix sounded fine to me - no dialog issues, but that is a pretty hot mix. Ended up having to watch it on an old Samsung BD player connected via optical out to a Peachtree Dac-It, which is also Sabre-based, and the sound was just about on par with the Oppo.

I should also say that I do appreciate Oppo CS, and their relative candor. They've always been very responsive.
post #39505 of 39506 Old 09-28-2014, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This makes me feel much better as I had the crackling issues with this movie last night using LPCM and thought my 25 year old Klipsch mains were blown. Additionally, I am setting up a new avr as well and thought it might have been that but after my process of elimination, I found changing to bitstream solved the issue. Glad to see it is not the new receiver and there is a workaround for it.
post #39506 of 39506 Old Yesterday, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Anyone else experience issues fast forwarding or rewinding MKV files? I can't FF more than 2x or the file will be skipped over, and any attempt to rewind will set the file to play back from the very beginning. Is there a known fix?
My firmware is up to date.
I have the same problem with my 83 when I play a MKV file through a usb stick. I've never tried a MKV file on a disc.

"I'd start a revolution, if I could just get out of bed." -fetters
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page