Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1321 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #39601 of 39608 Old Yesterday, 05:12 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 906
^ Actually it is quite rare that a new title won't play on the 83. Don't panic.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39602 of 39608 Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Actually it is quite rare that a new title won't play on the 83. Don't panic.
--Bob
It's not that I'm panicking, it's just that I'm going by statements like this one from AVfile:

I wouldn't count on it. Even if Oppo does come up with a workaround, this won't be the last title you will have problems with. You best start shopping for a cheap secondary player if you want to continue watching new releases.

and this one from Neuromancer...

Except that even after the player stopped receiving firmware upgrades, there have been around 5 titles which are not compatible with the player. Just because one "major release" has issues does not mean that you will have a general trend.

post #39603 of 39608 Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1623 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Nowadays it's a good thing to have more than only one Blu-ray player.
post #39604 of 39608 Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

I have two decks; the problem is, my first player was a completely obsolete (now) Panasonic DMP-BD10A that not only doesn't bitstream TrueHD, it doesn't support Master Audio at all...

post #39605 of 39608 Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Here, breath into this brown paper sack. Breath. Breath. Breath....

Stupid studio authoring tricks will always be with us. They can't help themselves. The worst that can happen is that you simply don't watch the handful of movie discs authored by idiots. Go stream it on VUDU on your TV for example. Or boycott the studio altogether.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; Yesterday at 07:58 PM.
post #39606 of 39608 Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Bob,

I don't understand why you keep insisting that I am hyperventilating or otherwise going into a full-bore Ebola panic over the OPPO BDP-83...

BTW -- it's "breathe" not "breath" in the context you were attempting to communicate in...

All I was doing was asking if it was feasible to take everyone's assertions here that many new discs probably won't play on this deck going forward, as it's been suggested by several members (two of which I referenced in my last message to you). Are you now saying, in differently worded terminology (i.e. "the worst that can happen is that you'd have to skip some titles..."), that there will in fact be a handful or more of current and future releases that won't play?

post #39607 of 39608 Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Bob,

I don't understand why you keep insisting that I am hyperventilating or otherwise going into a full-bore Ebola panic over the OPPO BDP-83...

BTW -- it's "breathe" not "breath" in the context you were attempting to communicate in...

All I was doing was asking if it was feasible to take everyone's assertions here that many new discs probably won't play on this deck going forward, as it's been suggested by several members (two of which I referenced in my last message to you). Are you now saying, in differently worded terminology (i.e. "the worst that can happen is that you'd have to skip some titles..."), that there will in fact be a handful or more of current and future releases that won't play?
Neuromancer indicated that there are a total of 5 known titles that won't play, including at least 1 popular movie. It stands to reason that the number will increase over time. It's not ideal, but if you consider it a big deal, it's probably time to sell the BDP-83 and upgrade to a newer player - Oppo or otherwise. I think you'll find that BDP-83's still hold their value surprisingly well on the used market.
post #39608 of 39608 Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM
Read the FAQ!

Lame attempt at humor aside, my point was that the number of problem discs has been small and will likely remain small compared to the overall number of titles being released.
--Bob

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page