Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1330 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 83Likes

post #39871 of 39878 Old Yesterday, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Call Oppo.

I shall get in touch with them via email if the problem persists, indeed, Bob...just wanted to know if any folks from the enthusiast community (i.e. us diehards here!) had any info on it...

Thanx!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39872 of 39878 Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSeminole View Post
Intellivolume, I rented this blu-ray disc as well from RedBox and didn't have a problem playing it on my BDP-83. I will however say that in the past when I have had a problem with my BDP-83 not wanting to load a blu-ray I've found that the inherently obnoxious JAVA to be the end problem. While the following is beyond the scope of this thread/discussion, there are ways to get around JAVA and have a movie only copy of blu-rays without JAVA. Anyhow, hopefully Oppo comes through and has a firmware update to bring the BDP-83 up to date with current blu-ray movies.

Hey Seminole, thanks for sharing your experiences...

Curious -- though I'm glad it did for you -- that your BDP-83 allowed playback of the X-Men Blu-ray; seems the consensus is that the disc won't play for most. I am routinely dumping my persistent storage and I have had BD Live turned OFF in the player since day one, so outside of those factors I don't know what else I can do to "free" or "ease" the player with regard to JAVA-intense issues...

post #39873 of 39878 Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Turning on BD Live can sometimes make an unplayable disc playable. Note that I said "sometimes".

post #39874 of 39878 Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume
Hey Seminole, thanks for sharing your experiences...

Curious -- though I'm glad it did for you -- that your BDP-83 allowed playback of the X-Men Blu-ray; seems the consensus is that the disc won't play for most.
+1. I have two BDP-83s, both with the latest firmware update and BD Live disabled, and the disc wouldn't play in either one of them.
post #39875 of 39878 Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Thanks,yes it is a bit frustrating and the thought of sending this across the country is scary but this unit is so good that it must be done.Im going to wait till after the holidays since i can still get the tray to open with a double remote press.Did you send it back using UPS?
I sent it through USPS with tracking and insurance, UPS is too expensive every time I got quotes from them on other things so I never go back.

post #39876 of 39878 Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I popped in a Blu-Ray of X-Men: Days of Future Past from my local library but my BDP-83 is saying "Wrong disc!"
What the hell does that mean?

Similarly, I was unable to enable subtitles on The Grand Budapest Hotel using the subtitle button on the remote. I received a message saying "Operation blocked by disc" or something to that effect. There were a crazy number of subtitle streams for that disc, yet I could not get a single one to switch on unless it was done from the main menu. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Also, is there no slow-motion button on the remote? How do I slowly freeze frame through a scene?? And is there any way to disable that annoying bar that comes up on BD discs when you ff or rewind through scenes? It blocks off a significant part of the picture and/or subtitles. Super annoying and makes me want to watch the DVD version instead, if it weren't for the significant decrease in resolution and PQ.
post #39877 of 39878 Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken View Post
I popped in a Blu-Ray of X-Men: Days of Future Past from my local library but my BDP-83 is saying "Wrong disc!"
What the hell does that mean?
It's been discusses extensively in this thread. We are expecting a fix soon.

Quote:
Similarly, I was unable to enable subtitles on The Grand Budapest Hotel using the subtitle button on the remote. I received a message saying "Operation blocked by disc" or something to that effect. There were a crazy number of subtitle streams for that disc, yet I could not get a single one to switch on unless it was done from the main menu. Has anyone else encountered this issue?
I see that from time to time; it's caused by programming on the disc. Use the POPUP MENU control to access the disc's subtitle control.

Quote:
Also, is there no slow-motion button on the remote? How do I slowly freeze frame through a scene??
It's in the manual.

Quote:
And is there any way to disable that annoying bar that comes up on BD discs when you ff or rewind through scenes? It blocks off a significant part of the picture and/or subtitles. Super annoying and makes me want to watch the DVD version instead, if it weren't for the significant decrease in resolution and PQ.
That must be something that comes from java on the disc. The player can't disable it.

-Bill
post #39878 of 39878 Old Today, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Is there anyway to make my Oppo83 a region free player?

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page