Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1331 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 87Likes

post #39901 of 39925 Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 947
^ This firmware does NOT address the various, older problems for which there were already well known workarounds -- e.g., use Bitstream output for DTS-HD MA 7.1 tracks, use LPCM output for TrueHD 7.1 tracks, and the procedures already described in the FAQ for dealing with movies which do not start from Top Menu (such as Erasing Persistent Storage). This firmware is SPECIFICALLY for this new issue of "Wrong Disc" errors, resulting from Fox's oddball, new authoring technique.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39902 of 39925 Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Note the BDP83-60-1110 FW update works on BDP-83 BD players in both USA and UK locations.

Oppo Beta Group
post #39903 of 39925 Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ This firmware does NOT address the various, older problems for which there were already well known workarounds -- e.g., use Bitstream output for DTS-HD MA 7.1 tracks, use LPCM output for TrueHD 7.1 tracks, and the procedures already described in the FAQ for dealing with movies which do not start from Top Menu (such as Erasing Persistent Storage). This firmware is SPECIFICALLY for this new issue of "Wrong Disc" errors, resulting from Fox's oddball, new authoring technique.
I've found nothing to make Stripes work, unfortunately.
post #39904 of 39925 Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you Oppo for still supporting the BDP 83 with this firmware update. I am an original owner and have had no hardware problems with this player.
What are some of you buying as a backup blu ray player that is less than $100? Any recommendations?
Not ready to purchase another Oppo yet. Thanks!
post #39905 of 39925 Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adinn View Post
Thank you Oppo for still supporting the BDP 83 with this firmware update. I am an original owner and have had no hardware problems with this player.
What are some of you buying as a backup blu ray player that is less than $100? Any recommendations?
Not ready to purchase another Oppo yet. Thanks!
I got the Samsung BD-H5900. Very highly-rated, even by Consumer Reports. $74 shipped from Amazon, though it's under the $68 Black Friday sale at other sites (NYS has to pay sales tax), including Samsung's own. The BD-H6500 seems to be the same thing, but with 4k video. It's a lot more expensive and I have no use for that.
post #39906 of 39925 Old Yesterday, 06:02 PM

Does anyone recall any reports of analogue problems with this player? I had an impulse to see if I could detect a difference between the dacs on my oppo to the dacs on my T175 so I plugged in some rca cables. I've had it strictly HDMI up to this point, for years. I get nothing from the 2ch stereo outputs, or the 7.1 front l/r outputs. I know it's not the NAD as I plugged in another source and got sound. I tried turning off HDMI audio, even unplugged it.
I searched this thread but couldn't find anything relevant.
post #39907 of 39925 Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo11 View Post
Does anyone recall any reports of analogue problems with this player? I had an impulse to see if I could detect a difference between the dacs on my oppo to the dacs on my T175 so I plugged in some rca cables. I've had it strictly HDMI up to this point, for years. I get nothing from the 2ch stereo outputs, or the 7.1 front l/r outputs. I know it's not the NAD as I plugged in another source and got sound. I tried turning off HDMI audio, even unplugged it.
I searched this thread but couldn't find anything relevant.
No issues. And the Analog outputs are always live, so no need to turn off HDMI Audio.

Check the Volume buttons (top of the remote) and make sure you don't have the Volume turned down -- Volume only affects the Analog outputs.

If that doesn't do it, give OPPO Tech Support a call. They can help you figure out if the player needs hardware service. If so, OPPO offers reasonably priced, flat-rate service for players out of warranty.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #39908 of 39925 Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM

Quote:
No issues. And the Analog outputs are always live, so no need to turn off HDMI Audio.

Check the Volume buttons (top of the remote) and make sure you don't have the Volume turned down -- Volume only affects the Analog outputs.

If that doesn't do it, give OPPO Tech Support a call. They can help you figure out if the player needs hardware service. If so, OPPO offers reasonably priced, flat-rate service for players out of warranty.
--Bob
You nailed it! Thank you very much for the quick help! Problem solved. I did notice the volume down all the way when I was trying to figure it out, but didn't really pay any attention to it. I guess I assumed it would still send something out as if it were a standalone player.
I get to go to bed tonight less stupid!

On a side note, as expected, I didn't notice any real difference between the NAD and the Oppo. They both sound excellent in flipping between Nad/HDMI/stereo, Oppo/analogue/stereo and Oppo/analogue/anaogue bypass. The biggest difference being the latter with no sub. (Although the first two should sound the same anyways). Not very scientific, I know...

Thanks again!
post #39909 of 39925 Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Indeed; I received my email about the update...

But, I told OPPO that because I didn't care for the X-Men film, personally, I wasn't going to purchase the Blu-ray and thus I didn't think I needed the firmware update...

Still, I am unsure if this update will "affect" anything going forward...i.e. other Fox titles that may cause hiccups?

post #39910 of 39925 Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

--Bob
You know, OPPO had made a similar mention to me about the "volume needing to be turned up" when I was discussing PCM tracks in the past with them -- I never really understood the "necessity" for a "volume control" via a remote on a source player...what is the point of this? I can understand a volume control on a TV's remote (or, of course, on a dedicated audio component) but why is there a volume control on a Blu-ray player's remote?

And this control IN NO WAY affects the digital/HDMI connections?

As a side note, I DO have my Onkyo receiver's "IntelliVolume" input level control turned up for the OPPO's input (HDMI 1) which acts like a "volume" balance for connected sources to the AVR, but I'm still lost about why one would need a volume control on a BD player...

post #39911 of 39925 Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I think some people connect their 83 directly to a power amp, making a volume control necessary.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #39912 of 39925 Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
OPPO will be sending out individual E-Mails, but due to the volume of E-Mails and phone calls, it will not be possible for them to contact everyone. Since a large portion of the people affected are AVS members, it make sense to have a post here to get the word out to as many people as possible.

OPPO has a firmware that you can download now (or direct to the player connected with Ethernet when it goes Official) that should resolve issue with X-Men: Days of Future Past and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. To quote:

BDP-80 users will need to wait a little longer, as OPPO needs to confirm this firmware is working first on the BDP-83 before they go through the verification and testing with the BDP-80.
Thanks, Neuro! Any idea when this update will be available via ethernet? Just tried to play X-Men: DFP and got the "wrong disc" message. Also, I got no email from Oppo, even though I was one of the first purchasers of the 83 direct from Oppo.

post #39913 of 39925 Old Today, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer
OPPO has a firmware that you can download now (or direct to the player connected with Ethernet when it goes Official) that should resolve issue with X-Men: Days of Future Past and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.
Thanks for the update, Neuromancer.

And thanks to the folks at OPPO for stepping up and addressing this issue. You guys rock!

\m/ > , < \m/
post #39914 of 39925 Old Today, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Downloaded the firmware last night, loaded with no problems, works. Oppo is the Best!

post #39915 of 39925 Old Today, 07:50 AM

I installed the update last night and can also confirm that the X-Men BD loads fine. Loads really slowly, but it loads. Damn it's annoying that you can't skip past the preview. I'll assume it's the BD's programming on that and blame Fox.
post #39916 of 39925 Old Today, 08:05 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmoto View Post
Damn it's annoying that you can't skip past the preview. I'll assume it's the BD's programming on that and blame Fox.
That would be a safe assumption. I don't mind watching previews ONCE, but if I watch the movie again, I really don't want to see the previews again.
post #39917 of 39925 Old Today, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
That would be a safe assumption. I don't mind watching previews ONCE, but if I watch the movie again, I really don't want to see the previews again.
It's really irritating. With VHS, a friend of mine used to actually cut and splice the tape to get rid of the previews.
post #39918 of 39925 Old Today, 08:15 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Just another one of the many, customer-unfriendly things Fox likes to do. Come the revolution, etc., etc.

Fox uses Prohibited User Operation authoring to force viewing of the load-time previews. You can't jump directly to Top Menu, nor can you Chapter Forward over each preview. HOWEVER, you CAN use Fast Forward speed 5 to zoom through each preview. At the end of each preview, the player reverts to normal Play, so you will need to do Fast Forward again for each of them in turn.

In the past Fox has been doing this primarily on their Rental Special discs -- i.e., the type they sell to Netflix. Typically you can tell you've got one of these if it is missing most or all of the Extras content found on the normal, retail version. I view a ton of rental discs as part of Beta Testing, so I've pretty much seen all the games the studios play with these. (Like Lionsgate putting only lossy audio tracks on THEIR rental Blu-rays.) In the case of Fox, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they are now forcing previews on retail discs, too.
--Bob

post #39919 of 39925 Old Today, 08:31 AM

Bob, the X-Men I have at home is a Netflix rental. I still find the practice insulting.

But thanks for that info. I did in fact scan forward.
post #39920 of 39925 Old Today, 09:27 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Yep, that disc from Netflix is a Rental Special -- marked by the fact that the only Extra it includes is the sneak peak of "Exodus".
--Bob

post #39921 of 39925 Old Today, 09:37 AM

Quote:
^ Yep, that disc from Netflix is a Rental Special -- marked by the fact that the only Extra it includes is the sneak peak of "Exodus".
I love how they consider that an extra.
post #39922 of 39925 Old Today, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
OPPO will be sending out individual E-Mails, but due to the volume of E-Mails and phone calls, it will not be possible for them to contact everyone. Since a large portion of the people affected are AVS members, it make sense to have a post here to get the word out to as many people as possible.

OPPO has a firmware that you can download now (or direct to the player connected with Ethernet when it goes Official) that should resolve issue with X-Men: Days of Future Past and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. To quote:

BDP-80 users will need to wait a little longer, as OPPO needs to confirm this firmware is working first on the BDP-83 before they go through the verification and testing with the BDP-80.
Confirming this update clears the issue and I'm able to load X-men Days of Future Past. BDP-83.

Kudos to Oppo for the continued support!
post #39923 of 39925 Old Today, 10:43 AM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
I just watched Independence Day last night... couldn't do anything to get to the MuV without viewing the "Don't steal me or you'll be fined and/or locked up forever" screens http://www.avsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif If I bought it (and I did!) I shouldn't have to watch anything I don't want to...

I used to use MacTheRipper just because I could eliminate that problem from DVDs. Now, mostly I use Make MKV for the same reason, but if I want to get the HD audio (I'm a Mac person and Apple will not support any HD audio) I watch the disk on my Oppo and grind my teeth for a few minutes at the start of the film.

Rem facias, rem
si possis, recte, si non, quocumque modo, rem.
post #39924 of 39925 Old Today, 10:44 AM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
I just rewatched Independence Day last night... couldn't do anything to get to the MuV without viewing the "Don't steal me or you'll be fined and/or locked up forever" screens If I bought it (and I did!) I shouldn't have to watch anything I don't want to...

I used to use MacTheRipper just because I could eliminate that problem from DVDs. Now, mostly I use Make MKV for the same reason, but if I want to get the HD audio (I'm a Mac person and Apple will not support any HD audio) I watch the disk on my Oppo and grind my teeth for a few minutes at the start of the film.

Rem facias, rem
si possis, recte, si non, quocumque modo, rem.
post #39925 of 39925 Old Today, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

Thanks again for this info. I'm not technically savvy, but I got a USB drive and copied and pasted the firmware, then put the drive in the 83 and it worked! It updated three different things, not sure what they all are, and it now loads Days of Future Past.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player