Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1332 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 88Likes
post #39931 of 39943 Unread 11-26-2014, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Release date: November 26, 2014.
Category: Latest Official Release
Main Version: BDP83-60-1110
Loader Version: BE2800 or BT0500
Sub Version: MCU83-27-0326
Release Notes:

1. Resolved a disc loading failure issue with the "X-Men: Days of Future Past (BD)" released by 20th Century Fox.Customers reported that after inserting the Blu-ray disc, the player would report "Wrong Disc" error and eject the disc. This is caused by the new "BD+" protocol (or Digital Rights Protection system) applied to this title which requires longer decryption time than the value allowed by the player. This firmware adjusted the decryption time and resolved this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39932 of 39943 Unread 11-26-2014, 06:15 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 956
^ "Expendables 3" has a Dolby Atmos audio track, which means the track is TrueHD 7.1. Unless you are attempting to use an Atmos speaker setup, you should set the 83 to HDMI LPCM output (or use the multi-channel Analog outputs) when playing TrueHD 7.1 tracks.

If you are attempting to use an Atmos speaker configuration you will need to use HDMI Bitstream output. If that's giving you issues, get in touch with OPPO Tech Support with details on the AVR you are using.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #39933 of 39943 Unread 11-26-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2044 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob pariseau View Post
"expendables 3" has a dolby atmos audio track, which means the track is truehd 7.1. Unless you are attempting to use an atmos speaker setup, you should set the 83 to hdmi lpcm output (or use the multi-channel analog outputs) when playing truehd 7.1 tracks.

If you are attempting to use an atmos speaker configuration you will need to use hdmi bitstream output. If that's giving you issues, get in touch with oppo tech support with details on the avr you are using.
--bob
=> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=29360842
post #39934 of 39943 Unread 11-26-2014, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Thank you to NorthSky.
I was having the audio dropouts on
Expendables 3. I did try LPCM and it worked.

I was having trouble with the French import of
Open Range so I figured it was time for a cleaning.
Might try the new firmware just to see if it solves
the Open Range loading issues.

Steve
post #39935 of 39943 Unread 11-26-2014, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr4a View Post
Thank you to NorthSky.
I was having the audio dropouts on
Expendables 3. I did try LPCM and it worked.

I was having trouble with the French import of
Open Range so I figured it was time for a cleaning.
Might try the new firmware just to see if it solves
the Open Range loading issues.

Steve
Bob is the man! ...Pariseau.

* I love 'Open Range', starring one of my favorite actors; Robert Duvall.
post #39936 of 39943 Unread Yesterday, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just loaded the latest update on my BDP83 and I am stuck at FW 21%. Any idea's of how I would get out of this situation. I have been at this point for 30 minutes thus far. Never ran into this problem before. Any help would be appreciated.
post #39937 of 39943 Unread Yesterday, 04:10 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer View Post
Just loaded the latest update on my BDP83 and I am stuck at FW 21%. Any idea's of how I would get out of this situation. I have been at this point for 30 minutes thus far. Never ran into this problem before. Any help would be appreciated.
If it is still Downloading the firmware you can just power cycle the OPPO and try again. Pull the power plug if need be. The firmware install doesn't start changing anything until the download is complete.
--Bob
post #39938 of 39943 Unread Yesterday, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ "Expendables 3" has a Dolby Atmos audio track, which means the track is TrueHD 7.1. Unless you are attempting to use an Atmos speaker setup, you should set the 83 to HDMI LPCM output (or use the multi-channel Analog outputs) when playing TrueHD 7.1 tracks.

If you are attempting to use an Atmos speaker configuration you will need to use HDMI Bitstream output. If that's giving you issues, get in touch with OPPO Tech Support with details on the AVR you are using.
--Bob

If OPPO and MediaTek still have the hood open on the 83 series, maybe they can work on a fix for the audio drop out issue. Any hope for this?
Jacob305 likes this.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #39939 of 39943 Unread Yesterday, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
If it is still Downloading the firmware you can just power cycle the OPPO and try again. Pull the power plug if need be. The firmware install doesn't start changing anything until the download is complete.
--Bob
Tried your suggestion, but no good. No display in the front nor can I get any info from the screen via HDMI. I can power on and off but nothing happens. Tried on/off button as well as pulling power cord. Guess I am going to have to call OPPO tomorrow. Thanks for your help Bob.
post #39940 of 39943 Unread Yesterday, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed1 View Post
If OPPO and MediaTek still have the hood open on the 83 series, maybe they can work on a fix for the audio drop out issue. Any hope for this?
+1.

Jacob
post #39941 of 39943 Unread Yesterday, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The audio dropouts also happen in some Denon and Pioneer Blu-ray model players.

Time for firmware updates from few BD player manufacturers; thanks to that new 'The Expendables 3' on Blu-ray. ...With an Atmos* audio soundtrack.

Meanwhile, to all them people having audio issues with your different brand BD players, set the Audio Out to LPCM instead of Bitstream.

* Only when you purchase it @ the store, because the rental from Redbox and Netflix have no Dolby Atmos on them, just a poor lossy audio soundtrack.
The times we live in...not the times we dreamed of.
post #39942 of 39943 Unread Yesterday, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
The audio dropouts also happen in some Denon and Pioneer Blu-ray model players.

Time for firmware updates from few BD player manufacturers; thanks to that new 'The Expendables 3' on Blu-ray. ...With an Atmos* audio soundtrack.

Meanwhile, to all them people having audio issues with your different brand BD players, set the Audio Out to LPCM instead of Bitstream.

* Only when you purchase it @ the store, because the rental from Redbox and Netflix have no Dolby Atmos on them, just a poor lossy audio soundtrack.
The times we live in...not the times we dreamed of.

Yes LPCM over HDMI. Our good friends at Sony (usual suspect number one and founder of Blu ray) blessed us OPPO 83 owners with the audio drop out issue with the release of Total Recall 2012.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
post #39943 of 39943 Unread Today, 02:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would also like to add my appreciation to OPPO for their diligence in investigating the FOX authoring issue and supporting our BDP83 investment with a firmware update.

Quote:
Quote:
^ This firmware does NOT address the various, older problems for which there were already well known workarounds -- e.g., use Bitstream output for DTS-HD MA 7.1 tracks, use LPCM output for TrueHD 7.1 tracks, and the procedures already described in the FAQ for dealing with movies which do not start from Top Menu (such as Erasing Persistent Storage). This firmware is SPECIFICALLY for this new issue of "Wrong Disc" errors, resulting from Fox's oddball, new authoring technique.
--Bob
Still - wishing that *this* problem, existing in ALL firmwares since it was introduced in the BDP83-52-0816B release subsequent to BDP83-50-0424 (back in August 2010), would be addressed:

Known Bug: MKV files which are not exactly 16:9 may show up as the incorrect aspect ratio. The workaround is to set Primary Output to "Component" to force the decoder to perform the aspect ratio controls. Note: setting Primary Output to "Component" will degrade DVD and Blu-ray picture performance, so you have to set Primary Output back to "HDMI" whenever you watch DVD or Blu-ray videos.

As I recall, this 'bug' was introduced in the beta update attempting to address an MKV rendering problem caused by an update to a popular MKV authoring program of the time. In the four years since, authoring software has moved on and all current MKVs render correctly on BDP83-50-0424. It would be really nice if OPPO could revisit this issue and possibly issue an update that would revert rendering to the earlier 0424 scheme.

Can't fault me for wishing ...

Chris
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player