Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1336 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 105Likes
post #40051 of 40086 Old 12-14-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Copy protection.
The 103's and 105's next replacements (most likely 113 and 115) would be fully HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 for full ultra hi-def moving pictures resolution.
No?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40052 of 40086 Old 12-14-2014, 05:47 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
The 103's and 105's next replacements (most likely 113 and 115) would be fully HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 for full ultra hi-def moving pictures resolution.
No?
Most likely yes. FYI, there's already a thread for discussing the "next" Oppo player here where it would make more sense to continue this discussion.
post #40053 of 40086 Old 12-14-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
I'm not sure if Nuforce changed the power board on their version of the 83, but if they used the standard power board and the parts aren't available from Oppo in Australia, you could try contacting Oppo USA to see if they could send you a power board as I suspect they still have them. Shipping and customs charges could make the cost a bit prohibitive, but it's probably worth exploring the option.
...Or simply buy a 105.
post #40054 of 40086 Old 12-14-2014, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Most likely yes. FYI, there's already a thread for discussing the "next" Oppo player here where it would make more sense to continue this discussion.
Thank you kindly sir.
post #40055 of 40086 Old 12-14-2014, 06:38 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
...Or simply buy a 105.
If the budget permits and he's looking for an upgrade, sure. But if he's looking to keep costs to a minimum, fixing the current player should be a lot less expensive.
post #40056 of 40086 Old 12-14-2014, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
You do know there is a new firmware that fixes that, right?...
Please bear with the ironic response. On 26 Nov 2014 around 1530 EDT I received an email from Oppo telling me that I had to wait for the "official" FW. Why the official and not the beta? The official FW offers the ISO file, the beta one does NOT. It's very easy for me to burn the FW from an ISO file to a CD-RW.
I got my Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes BD DVD this past Friday 12 Dec 2014. On Friday night I tried to play it and finally gave-up. Very early yesterday AM I found-out that Oppo had made the Oppo BDP83-60-1110 FW official. I D/Led the FW and then burned it to a CD-RW and finally installed it on both of my two BDP-83s.
After reading this thread page 1331 in which the Oppo BDP83-60-1110 FW was posted official also on 26 Nov 2014 at 2115 by Neuromancer. How could I know that? That's my ironical explanation.
Thanks
Smarty-pants likes this.

Home Theater Aficionado

Last edited by Zenyatto; 12-14-2014 at 07:37 PM.
post #40057 of 40086 Old 12-15-2014, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenyatto View Post
After reading this thread page 1331 in which the Oppo BDP83-60-1110 FW was posted official also on 26 Nov 2014 at 2115 by Neuromancer. How could I know that? That's my ironical explanation.
Thanks
The latest firmware information is always posted in the very first message of this thread. You can always go to the first page of this thread and read that first message.
Mike_WI likes this.

post #40058 of 40086 Old 12-15-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
...Or simply buy a 105.
I own that too.
This one was working well, and it's region free. I mainly use it for Aussie / UK movies and as a CD transport.
post #40059 of 40086 Old 12-15-2014, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
The latest firmware information is always posted in the very first message of this thread. You can always go to the first page of this thread and read that first message.
You clearly MISSED the point SIR. The point is that Oppo told me to wait until the FW is official which turned-out to be just less than twelve hours later. I'll be glad to FW my personal email to you to confirm my statement. I walk the walk and I talk the talk.
Thank you

Home Theater Aficionado
post #40060 of 40086 Old 12-15-2014, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Send a message via AIM to putox1051 Send a message via Skype™ to putox1051
On/Off button flashes red, unit won't turn on

Anyone know what might cause this? I went to resume watching a Netflix BD & can't get my 83 to turn on. It worked perfectly yesterday.
post #40061 of 40086 Old 12-15-2014, 11:31 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Quote:
Originally Posted by putox1051 View Post
Anyone know what might cause this? I went to resume watching a Netflix BD & can't get my 83 to turn on. It worked perfectly yesterday.
Disconnect EVERYTHING from the 83. Unplug the power plug. While still unplugged press and hold the front panel power button for a few seconds to discharge any residual power.

Let the unit sit for an hour -- still unplugged.

Take the 83 to a DIFFERENT ROOM (different wall power circuit). Plug it in, but don't attach anything else to it.

See if it will now power up -- based on the Front Panel display. If not, call OPPO Tech Support. They have reasonably priced flat-rate service for players out of warranty.

If it DOES power up, take it back to its normal location, plug it in (nothing else connected) and try again. If still good, power down, attach the cables and try again.

If the player is now working but the problem returns later, call OPPO Tech Support for additional help diagnosing this.

----------------------------------------------

This is probably a failed power supply (i.e., the player needs service), but the above procedure is also trying to eliminate whether you have a wall power problem (including perhaps a temporary glitch which confused the player), or whether the player might have overheated, or whether a faulty cable connection might be shorting the power.

If you've got the player in an enclosed space, check to see that its fan is coming on after you use it for a while. And consider improving ventilation to that space.

If the player works while uncabled, but fails immediately when the cables are re-attached, check for a faulty (shorted) cable. Also try a different socket at the other end of whichever cable turns out to be the culprit.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #40062 of 40086 Old 12-15-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenyatto View Post
You clearly MISSED the point SIR. The point is that Oppo told me to wait until the FW is official which turned-out to be just less than twelve hours later. I'll be glad to FW my personal email to you to confirm my statement. I walk the walk and I talk the talk.
Thank you
It may well be that they told you to wait because the official firmware was in the very last stages of testing and evaluation and it would probably be available shortly. They should have probably explained things better but I don't find this something to get very upset about. I always use this site to check for firmware updates to my Oppos. It is a nice convenience.

post #40063 of 40086 Old 12-15-2014, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It may well be that they told you to wait because the official firmware was in the very last stages of testing and evaluation and it would probably be available shortly. They should have probably explained things better but I don't find this something to get very upset about. I always use this site to check for firmware updates to my Oppos. It is a nice convenience.
Duly noted.

Home Theater Aficionado
post #40064 of 40086 Old 12-15-2014, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Send a message via AIM to putox1051 Send a message via Skype™ to putox1051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Disconnect EVERYTHING from the 83. Unplug the power plug. While still unplugged press and hold the front panel power button for a few seconds to discharge any residual power.

Let the unit sit for an hour -- still unplugged.

Take the 83 to a DIFFERENT ROOM (different wall power circuit). Plug it in, but don't attach anything else to it.

See if it will now power up -- based on the Front Panel display. If not, call OPPO Tech Support. They have reasonably priced flat-rate service for players out of warranty.

If it DOES power up, take it back to its normal location, plug it in (nothing else connected) and try again. If still good, power down, attach the cables and try again.

If the player is now working but the problem returns later, call OPPO Tech Support for additional help diagnosing this.

----------------------------------------------

This is probably a failed power supply (i.e., the player needs service), but the above procedure is also trying to eliminate whether you have a wall power problem (including perhaps a temporary glitch which confused the player), or whether the player might have overheated, or whether a faulty cable connection might be shorting the power.

If you've got the player in an enclosed space, check to see that its fan is coming on after you use it for a while. And consider improving ventilation to that space.

If the player works while uncabled, but fails immediately when the cables are re-attached, check for a faulty (shorted) cable. Also try a different socket at the other end of whichever cable turns out to be the culprit.
--Bob

Thanks for the help. Followed your suggestions , still no dice. Contacted Oppo, they responded the same as you. I suspect you're correct about a failed power supply. I'm awaiting further directions from Oppo.
post #40065 of 40086 Old 12-15-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The latest firmware information is always posted in the very first message (post) of this thread.
You can always go to the first page of this thread and read that first message.
I bet 90%+ of the people don't know that. ...But it's very nice and positively informative to be reminded once in a while.
Zenyatto likes this.
post #40066 of 40086 Old 12-15-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

There is also plenty of other information in those first few posts that are found at the beginning of the thread. The same is true for the threads for all the other Oppo models. If you have any questions, check out those postings first. Many times the answer is there.

post #40067 of 40086 Old 12-15-2014, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There is also plenty of other information in those first few posts that are found at the beginning of the thread. The same is true for the threads for all the other Oppo models. If you have any questions, check out those postings first. Many times the answer is there.
Duly noted.

Home Theater Aficionado
post #40068 of 40086 Old 12-16-2014, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anyone with a region-free BDP-83 lose the ability to switch regions after the FW update? I tried the dimmer-dimmer-dimmer-mute-2 routine, which always used to work, and now nothing...
post #40069 of 40086 Old 12-16-2014, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManFan View Post
Anyone with a region-free BDP-83 lose the ability to switch regions after the FW update? I tried the dimmer-dimmer-dimmer-mute-2 routine, which always used to work, and now nothing...
Restored factory settings and it worked!! Whew.
Mike_WI likes this.
post #40070 of 40086 Old 12-17-2014, 12:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronManFan View Post
I got two BDP-83s on my HT. Both were upgraded to the 60-1110. They are ONLY SD DVD region free. Both played PAL, Region 2 and Region 4 flawlessly. I hope it helps.

Home Theater Aficionado
post #40071 of 40086 Old 12-17-2014, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just got my BDP83 back from repair by OPPO after it failed and hung during the download of the latest firmware update. Excellent turnaround on the repair and I am back up and working again. Great company to work with. It's nice when you call a company and you can work with someone to address a problem and get it fixed in a speedy manner. Thanks OPPO.
post #40072 of 40086 Old 12-17-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Still havin' that issue of the tray sucking itself back in when I press OPEN/CLOSE multiple times...
Probably too late, but I had this exact problem (mentioned in this thread, probably 2 years ago now). It was as was mentioned back a bit: sticky rails, and the 83's sensors thinking the tray is being push closed (or something like that) when it senses too much opening resistance (= drive current).

Open the sucker and clean the rails. Easy. I put a teensy tiny bit of silicone lube on them, since there clearly was some initially. Bits of dust/etc. getting thrown off the spinning discs was sticking to this lube. My tray is never left open etc. and I assume that's how the dust got on the slightly-lubed rails. It doesn't take much dust to inhibit normal operation! My rails weren't that dirty, didn't look dirty, only cleaning them showed that they were a bit grungy, but it's been 2 years (I think!) since I did this and haven't had the prob since. Have put almost another 2k hours on the '83 since then. [I have this bad habit of leaving the 83 in Pause for long periods. If BDs, especially TV on BD, had been more friendly for start/stop/bookmarking I wouldn't have done that. They're getting a bit better, but not enough or fast enough.]

Edit: clean your lens while you're in there. I'm in Canada so DIY is preferable for me than (expensive) shipping when possible. Besides that I like to fix stuff myself, and stuff with motors (and pulleys/belts/lenses/etc.) is often easily remedied with a simple cleaning IME.
AVfile likes this.

Last edited by cfraser; 12-17-2014 at 09:07 AM.
post #40073 of 40086 Old 12-17-2014, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfraser View Post
Probably too late, but I had this exact problem (mentioned in this thread, probably 2 years ago now). It was as was mentioned back a bit: sticky rails, and the 83's sensors thinking the tray is being push closed (or something like that) when it senses too much opening resistance (= drive current).

Open the sucker and clean the rails. Easy. I put a teensy tiny bit of silicone lube on them, since there clearly was some initially. Bits of dust/etc. getting thrown off the spinning discs was sticking to this lube. My tray is never left open etc. and I assume that's how the dust got on the slightly-lubed rails. It doesn't take much dust to inhibit normal operation! My rails weren't that dirty, didn't look dirty, only cleaning them showed that they were a bit grungy, but it's been 2 years (I think!) since I did this and haven't had the prob since. Have put almost another 2k hours on the '83 since then. [I have this bad habit of leaving the 83 in Pause for long periods. If BDs, especially TV on BD, had been more friendly for start/stop/bookmarking I wouldn't have done that. They're getting a bit better, but not enough or fast enough.]

Edit: clean your lens while you're in there. I'm in Canada so DIY is preferable for me than (expensive) shipping when possible. Besides that I like to fix stuff myself, and stuff with motors (and pulleys/belts/lenses/etc.) is often easily remedied with a simple cleaning IME.
Thanks for the tray rail cleaning/lubing tips. I'm on the same boat as you (living in Canada) and prefer to perform a DIY attempt first and save the factory repair as the last resort (cause I don't think Canadian customers would have the same low shipping fee advantage as people in US, I also fear of any surprise duty charged by custom or brokerage fee by courier when the repaired unit returns).

So if your cleaning/lubing in the past has showed significant improvement on tray opening problem without the need to change out for a new loader unit, then I definitely will give it a try too. I have been leaving a CD in the tray for the past year to solve the opening problem, but sometimes after playing a Blu-Ray movie for an hour or two, it will have a hard time to eject it until I rock/bump the tray up and down several times. Playing CDs or SACDs for long hours won't cause me any opening problem, strange. I guess the difference in weight/thickness/layer density between a CD/SACD and Blu-Ray will cause different degree of eject difficulties.
post #40074 of 40086 Old 12-17-2014, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

^ It's worth the small effort. Never had even the slightest hint of the "not staying open" problem since. If you've never opened up the 83 before, everything is neatly laid out and accessible. You won't need an instruction manual to do what you need to do.

I already had the cleaning/lubing stuff handy. A bottle of 99% isopropyl alcohol and a package of light silicone lube (Canadian Tire has some in the auto section, Permatex brand IIRC, or from a model hobby shop) are handy items to have for general household jobs anyway, if you don't already.

Yeah, I don't know how that "warranty repair" thing works. But it can be done easily enough without any customs or other charges, depends on who you send the item to since they have to do the proper paperwork to send the item back to you. I assume Oppo knows the ropes, most American (or -based) companies that do a lot of online/direct sales do these days.

When I contacted Oppo, they recommended the cleaning first, they don't mind if you open 'er up to do that. So I never got past that stage to find out what the next step in the process would be. I probably would have asked for a replacement loader for a DIY job, and don't know what they would have said, but I know they have allowed it in the past.
post #40075 of 40086 Old 12-18-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer View Post
Just got my BDP83 back from repair by OPPO after it failed and hung during the download of the latest firmware update. Excellent turnaround on the repair and I am back up and working again. Great company to work with. It's nice when you call a company and you can work with someone to address a problem and get it fixed in a speedy manner. Thanks OPPO.
Totally agree with this! Just did the same and just wanted to thank them for the excellent service from start to finish. Unit is like new and enjoying using it to watch my Christmas movies.

post #40076 of 40086 Old 12-18-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

Hello Fraser and thanks very much for the level headed and kind response...

So, this would require prying open the top cover? This issue with the drawer being sucked back in after being ejected is from the dirty rails?

post #40077 of 40086 Old 12-19-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

^ I assume it was from the dirty rails since that's what I cleaned. Somebody else mentioned it here too, and possibly a lot more people have found that the cause and haven't mentioned it.

I know many people prefer not to open their gear, but again, Oppo will suggest a lens cleaning as the first stage of the remedy process, so they obviously don't mind you going inside. For others it's more convenient to just send the whole unit to Oppo and let them go over it, because then they're guaranteed to get a fine unit back, whatever needed to be done. Maybe they'll get a whole new loader too, and that's desirable for some. I also assume, since the compatible loaders have been in short supply for years, that Oppo will also first attempt to get your machine working properly again with a cleaning.
post #40078 of 40086 Old 12-19-2014, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Hello Fraser and thanks very much for the level headed and kind response...

So, this would require prying open the top cover? This issue with the drawer being sucked back in after being ejected is from the dirty rails?
You still haven't sent it in? ;-p
post #40079 of 40086 Old 12-19-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Quote:
^ I assume it was from the dirty rails since that's what I cleaned. Somebody else mentioned it here too, and possibly a lot more people have found that the cause and haven't mentioned it.

I know many people prefer not to open their gear, but again, Oppo will suggest a lens cleaning as the first stage of the remedy process, so they obviously don't mind you going inside. For others it's more convenient to just send the whole unit to Oppo and let them go over it, because then they're guaranteed to get a fine unit back, whatever needed to be done. Maybe they'll get a whole new loader too, and that's desirable for some. I also assume, since the compatible loaders have been in short supply for years, that Oppo will also first attempt to get your machine working properly again with a cleaning.

Thank you for your candid input.

post #40080 of 40086 Unread 12-21-2014, 04:10 PM

Liked: 10
Do I have something set up incorrectly that sometimes I hear a high-pitched noise coming through the speakers from the player? It seems when the player is doing something.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player