Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1343 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #40261 of 40276 Old 03-07-2015, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Need some help :
My oppo nuforce has died and attempts to get repairs done by the local rep have been unsuccessful.
I understand its the power supply of board ?
Does anyone have a contact or email of some one at oppo USA who might be able to help ?
I have another oppo but this was a good player and I am just seeing if I can fix it.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40262 of 40276 Old 03-07-2015, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 219
http://www.oppodigital.com/ContactUs.aspx
petetherock likes this.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #40263 of 40276 Old 03-25-2015, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Problem whit my oppo bdp-83

I have a BR Player BDP-83. It was plugged without working for several months (I saw the red light of the power button woorking several times) and when I tried to turn it on, I realised that it doesn´t work. I want to know if there´s some person that has had the same proble and if there´s a solution before sending it to the technical service.
The answer to my inquiry from OPPO was:

Gabriel,

Disconnect all cables from the player, including the HDMI, analog, and power cables. If your player was hardware modified to support alternative regions, please try removing this kit and returning the player to stock.

Press and hold the POWER button on the front panel of the player for 5 seconds. Release.

Reconnect just the power cable, connecting it direct toy our walled power outlet, bypassing any switch, power conditioner or transformer.

Press POWER.

Does the player then show HELLO, then OPPO then eventually NO DISC or LOADING?

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
post #40264 of 40276 Old 03-25-2015, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^ You've got the best advice on how to troubleshoot it direct from Oppo.
There is no other way to fix it other than, perhaps try leaving it unplugged without power
over night instead of just for a minute. I have seen where that might make a difference sometimes.
Other than that, if it still doesn't work, it will need to be sent to Oppo for repair.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #40265 of 40276 Old 03-25-2015, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^ You've got the best advice on how to troubleshoot it direct from Oppo.
There is no other way to fix it other than, perhaps try leaving it unplugged without power
over night instead of just for a minute. I have seen where that might make a difference sometimes.
Other than that, if it still doesn't work, it will need to be sent to Oppo for repair.
I just emailed Oppo, but do you think this might help my issue? Some of the functions such as Info and Audio Track do not respond to the remote control. Just started happening on my 2009 very, very lightly used unit. I'd hate to have to replace it as I just bought a cheap LG to handle 3D. The BDP-83 does all the rest, including SACD and DVD-A. Awesome player.

"The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow."
post #40266 of 40276 Old 03-25-2015, 02:38 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 1101
^ With that sort of problem the first thing to do is put fresh batteries in the remote. Make sure they are both inserted the correct way around. If the problem started AFTER you put in fresh batteries, then you may have some dud batteries.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #40267 of 40276 Old 03-26-2015, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Is X-man Future Days Past one of the titles giving the 83 fits?

After inserting the Neflix Blu Ray the machine displays 'wrong disc' and then ejects the disc.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #40268 of 40276 Old 03-26-2015, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post

After inserting the Neflix Blu Ray the machine displays 'wrong disc' and then ejects the disc.
Sounds more like a defective disc. Try washing it.
post #40269 of 40276 Old 03-26-2015, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^ Yep, usually when a disc refuses to play at all, that means the disc is defective,
or there's something mechanically wrong with the player, or you are using a disc that is incompatible with the player.
Since it's a NF disc, we know it's compatible, and if other BDs play ok in the player, then that would mean there's
nothing wrong with the player, thus meaning it's most likely a bad/dirty/scratched/warped/flawed disc.

Other things to try is to make sure you have the latest firmware installed in the player,
and if so, you can also try re-installing the same firmware over top of it to make sure it's the original isn't a flawed installation.
Also could try resetting the player to factory default settings, then try the disc again, then re-enter all of your personalized settings.
Most that probably isn't necessary if you have the latest firmware already and other BDs play ok.
If that's true, then again we come back to the logical choice of it being a bad disc.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #40270 of 40276 Old 03-26-2015, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post

Yes - I believe the X-Men Future Days IS a problematic disc for the Oppo 83 & your "wrong disc" message is what has been reported. However, I believe Oppo released a firmware update to address the problem, so you might look into that on the Oppo site.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-b...e-60-1110.aspx

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #40271 of 40276 Old Yesterday, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
I just emailed Oppo, but do you think this might help my issue? Some of the functions such as Info and Audio Track do not respond to the remote control. Just started happening on my 2009 very, very lightly used unit. I'd hate to have to replace it as I just bought a cheap LG to handle 3D. The BDP-83 does all the rest, including SACD and DVD-A. Awesome player.

I have a similar problem. I use this awersome player only to play SACD and DVD-A. So during the past three months I did not use it. When I tried to turn it on, I realised it doesn´t work. As I live in Argentina, I am trying to find someone who can fix it.
post #40272 of 40276 Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
Yes - I believe the X-Men Future Days IS a problematic disc for the Oppo 83 & your "wrong disc" message is what has been reported. However, I believe Oppo released a firmware update to address the problem, so you might look into that on the Oppo site.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-b...e-60-1110.aspx
The disc looked fine.

I guess I'll try updating the firmware. It was last updated last summer when I sent the unit in for repair on the loading tray.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #40273 of 40276 Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^ A disc can look fine and still be bad. It's possible for the fatal flaw to be invisible to the naked eye.
Having said that, most likely your problem is that you don't have the latest firmware from last November.
It's main attribute of the firmware from November 2014 is...

Resolved a disc loading failure issue with the "X-Men: Days of Future Past (BD)" released by 20th Century Fox. Customers reported that after inserting the Blu-ray disc, the player would report a "Wrong Disc" error and eject the disc. This is caused by the new "BD+" protocol (or Digital Rights Protection system) applied to this title which requires longer decryption time than the value allowed by the player. This firmware adjusted the decryption time and resolved this issue.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #40274 of 40276 Old Today, 11:38 AM

Liked: 14
Help with configuration...

When I first setup the player I set output via HDMI to bitstream and all worked well until the release of Total Recall and then audio went to hell. I was advised to switch output to LPCM which solved the problem but seemed to take a little off the audio.

I am now preparing for Atmos and the advice I see is that output to the receiver should be bitstream. Am I getting ready for a new problem?

... or am I just confused?
post #40275 of 40276 Old Today, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Help with configuration...

When I first setup the player I set output via HDMI to bitstream and all worked well until the release of Total Recall and then audio went to hell. I was advised to switch output to LPCM which solved the problem but seemed to take a little off the audio.

I am now preparing for Atmos and the advice I see is that output to the receiver should be bitstream. Am I getting ready for a new problem?

... or am I just confused?
You won't get Atmos decoding in the AVR except with a bitstream output from the player. The player is fully capable of sending a bitstream output on Atmos encoded discs, but what it can't handle is the complex seamless branching copy protections that the studios like to use.

The Atmos tracks are 7.1 DolbyTHD. If needed you can use the player to decode those into 7.1 LPCM and then use whatever proprietary "3D audio" DSP the AVR has to offer. It'll probably have several. Opinions vary, and no doubt each movie is different, but some folks prefer the "3D DSP" effects over what the studio engineers program into the movie for Atmos.

There are a couple Atmos titles without complex branching, no doubt there will be more. I think its premature to declare the 83 dead.
As for the effect of using LPCM you describe, (taking a little off), that's due to the way your AVR handles LPCM, and is likely resolved just by turning the volume up a few notches.
post #40276 of 40276 Old Today, 03:23 PM

Liked: 14
I found a more detailed (and probably sometimes correct) discussion here...

Mocking Jay audio playback problems (possibly DolbyAtmos related)
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
105d , 83se , Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - 105d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page