Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1344 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #40291 of 40319 Old 04-05-2015, 06:44 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsinkhole View Post
If I understand correctly, the only downside to using lpcm (if you can call it that) is that the avr will not show Dolby Tru HD?
The indicator will not light up, but the audio quality is the same.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40292 of 40319 Old 04-05-2015, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Try the procedure laid out in the FAQ for when discs don't play. Link at the top of the first post of this thread.
--Bob
Thanks, Bob. Turns out erasing the Persistent Storage did the trick. The disc finally loaded past the splash screen to the main menu.
post #40293 of 40319 Old 04-05-2015, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
The indicator will not light up, but the audio quality is the same.

-Bill

I disagree, to me lpcm over HDMI sounds"flat" compared to other hd codecs. I believe it is susceptible to the HDMI jitter and timing issues with video clock sync due to its uncompressed nature.

My Home Theatre site + Blog

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.
post #40294 of 40319 Old 04-05-2015, 02:58 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by djos View Post
I disagree, to me lpcm over HDMI sounds"flat" compared to other hd codecs. I believe it is susceptible to the HDMI jitter and timing issues with video clock sync due to its uncompressed nature.
More likely your AVR handles the two formats differently.

-Bill
AVfile likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #40295 of 40319 Old 04-05-2015, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only]

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
More likely your AVR handles the two formats differently.

-Bill

I have a Denon 4311ci with high'ish end Krix speakers, before that i had a Marantz sr7002 and I've tested them both using various bluray players and also a Toshiba hda2 hd-DVD player and i can tell the difference flipping between the payer decoding and the amp decoding every time.

I know plenty of others who have done the same test and agree with me and none of us are golden ear nutters with $4k uni-directional cables other snake oil bits.

post #40296 of 40319 Old 04-05-2015, 03:18 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
^ There's no logical reason for LPCM and Bitstream to sound substantially different. The causes you have suggested would not result in substantial audio quality differences.

I'll repeat what I said before. If you are hearing a significant difference between LPCM and Bitstream that should be a Red Flag that something is screwy in your setup.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #40297 of 40319 Old 04-05-2015, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ There's no logical reason for LPCM and Bitstream to sound substantially different. The causes you have suggested would not result in substantial audio quality differences.

I'll repeat what I said before. If you are hearing a significant difference between LPCM and Bitstream that should be a Red Flag that something is screwy in your setup.
--Bob

I can still tell the difference even after upgrading my amp, nothing else had changed.

Btw the same is true with DSD, streaming it to the 4311 from my 83 sounds better than my 83 decoding it.

Ps, I'm in IT and have an electronics background so i do agree that it shouldn't sound different, but it does.

Last edited by djos; 04-05-2015 at 03:28 PM.
post #40298 of 40319 Old 04-05-2015, 09:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 226
^ More than likely it's your processor handling bits differently between lpcm and bitstream.
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say one way or the other sounds "bad", but usually the same or "different".
My best guess is that the signal path is different between the lpcm and bitstream inside the processor.
It shouldn't be that way, but apparently they just don't bother trying to get the processor
tweaked to the point of making them sound exactly the same.
However, this is where the settings and tweaks of the processor come into play.
Use the settings to make it sound the way you think it should.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #40299 of 40319 Old 04-06-2015, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I used Audyssey room calibration on both my amps.

I've spoken to a few HT audio experts here in Aus about it and all 3 believe the issue is related to the lack of error correction in an lpcm stream compared to Dolby TrueHD as an example. They to have been able to replicate this "flat" impression with many different systems.

It's worth noting that many ppl simply don't notice it as it is very subtle.

post #40300 of 40319 Old 04-06-2015, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by djos View Post
I used Audyssey room calibration on both my amps.

I've spoken to a few HT audio experts here in Aus about it and all 3 believe the issue is related to the lack of error correction in an lpcm stream compared to Dolby TrueHD as an example. They to have been able to replicate this "flat" impression with many different systems.

It's worth noting that many ppl simply don't notice it as it is very subtle.
Well, the argument of "a possibly ever so slight difference in sound" aside...
I believe the root point behind using lpcm for audio output in the -83 as a means to
circumvent Dolby TrueHD + seamless branching audio issues is a reasonable thing to do.
If a user MUST have bitstream output for whatever reason, then TrueHD + seamless branching will continue to be an issue.

^ At that point, the only fix is to move to a different player.
If you want to find a silver lining, the Oppo players hold a very strong resale value,
so that would make selling off the -83 a little less painful than it is with a lot of other players.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #40301 of 40319 Old 04-06-2015, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked: 377
The BDP-83 is still the best BD player ever made for up-conversion of DVDs (and a wealth of other chores). We don't need no stinking Atmos.
laserjock II likes this.
post #40302 of 40319 Old 04-06-2015, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
The BDP-83 is still the best BD player ever made for up-conversion of DVDs (and a wealth of other chores). We don't need no stinking Atmos.
I nominate the BDP-83 for the blu-ray Hall of Fame!
post #40303 of 40319 Old 04-07-2015, 07:47 PM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
04/08/15: received the 83 this A.M. Looks and acts like new, and for no cost to me. Excellent!

Well, I finally got tired of pushing the eject button multiple times to get the empty tray to open, called Oppo yesterday for an RMA, dropped it off in Mountain View around noon today (beautiful drive down I280), and just received the notice that it's been Fedexed and will be at my door tomorrow! I love that company!

BTW: if you decide to take your 83 in person, do not believe your GPS!

Rem facias, rem
si possis, recte, si non, quocumque modo, rem.

Last edited by grubavs; 04-08-2015 at 01:46 PM. Reason: update
post #40304 of 40319 Old 04-08-2015, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofpathos View Post
Is the Gone Girl Blu Ray a known problematic disc for this player? I got the latest firmware upgrade directly from OPPO so I could play X-men: Days of Future past. However, the Gone Girl disc I'm renting from my library will load the 20th Century FOX startup screen and then the screen goes black. Hitting "top menu," "return," etc. are all to no avail. The info button shows its on chapter 86/91 which is 00:00:00 seconds long.

Anyway to get this damn disc to play?
It played just fine this past weekend on my BDP-83. I did get the black screen for a while...but it just takes patience. Some discs are really slow to initially load, and this is one.

Brad
post #40305 of 40319 Old 04-09-2015, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
AMEN, Reverend!!

100-percent agreed.

5.1:
ONKYO TX-SR605B - oppo BDP-83 - SONY KDS-50A2020 SXRD
polkaudio RTi12 - polkaudio CSi30 - SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling Surrounds - polkaudio PSW350
2-CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC-4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL - Numark CDMIX 1 - Infinity PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120USB
post #40306 of 40319 Old 04-12-2015, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by glemigh View Post
Ok, lets say complex seamless branching is the future, what is the solution for BDP-83 owners to get a frustration free viewing experience?

Viewing John Wick now and really bummed over the breaking up audio problem.

George

Same frustration here... pulled my unit yesterday and put in a cheap Sony I have to solve the problem. This is my last high dollar player since I can buy a cheap unit every year to get 99% of what I need and be ahead of this Oppo.

I put in a lot of effort to get Atmos and like using it so there is no use for my bdp-83.
post #40307 of 40319 Old 04-12-2015, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Same frustration here... pulled my unit yesterday and put in a cheap Sony I have to solve the problem. This is my last high dollar player since I can buy a cheap unit every year to get 99% of what I need and be ahead of this Oppo.

I put in a lot of effort to get Atmos and like using it so there is no use for my bdp-83.
Again, what does this have to do with Atmos? The 83 will let you stream to your AVR, which is what you need for Atmos.
post #40308 of 40319 Old 04-12-2015, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post

There are a number of Atmos titles available that bitstream just fine from the 83. But if your only use for a player is to spin movies on shiny discs, any player will do. This simple fact has not changed

Quote:
Ok, lets say complex seamless branching is the future, what is the solution for BDP-83 owners to get a frustration free viewing experience?
One way is to rip the movie to a single media file and play that from an attached drive. The irony here is that the cause of the issue is the thing that's supposed to prevent ripping.
grubavs likes this.
post #40309 of 40319 Old 04-12-2015, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Again, what does this have to do with Atmos? The 83 will let you stream to your AVR, which is what you need for Atmos.

Atmos requires bitstream and I require movies without dropouts which the 83 cannot do using bitstream quite often.
post #40310 of 40319 Old 04-12-2015, 06:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4402 Post(s)
Liked: 1718
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena
Atmos requires bitstream and I require movies without dropouts which the 83 cannot do using bitstream quite often.
That ^ exactly (for the four Lionsgate Dolby Atmos Blu-ray titles released so far).
post #40311 of 40319 Old 04-13-2015, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
That ^ exactly (for the four Lionsgate Dolby Atmos Blu-ray titles released so far).
My understanding is that the 83's (& 93/95) audio dropout problems are more related to complex seamless branching on titles using Dolby Atmos or Dolby TruedHD due to an inadequate processor in the player. So any release by any studio that utilizes saeamless branching coupled with Dolby TrueHD/Atmos is also a potential problem (ie. not limited to Lionsgate releases with seamless branching & Atmos).

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #40312 of 40319 Old 04-13-2015, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
My understanding is that the 83's (& 93/95) audio dropout problems are more related to complex seamless branching on titles using Dolby Atmos or Dolby TruedHD due to an inadequate processor in the player. So any release by any studio that utilizes saeamless branching coupled with Dolby TrueHD/Atmos is also a potential problem (ie. not limited to Lionsgate releases with seamless branching & Atmos).
True, but the problems seem to be limited to 7.1 Dolby THD titles, which are pretty rare. There are many more titles with DTS-MA and complex branching, and they exhibit no problems for the most part.
post #40313 of 40319 Old 04-13-2015, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
Yes, but so far those four Lionsgate BR discs (Dolby Atmos encoded) are the probematic ones; as in factual reality now.
I don't want to extrapolate into the future as it can get worse before it gets better; and then we'll all need to buy newer Blu-ray players.

I truly don't care who's @ fault; I just want the Blu-ray discs to play properly in all our BR players. ...Nothing else.
And we all know what is needed; support from the BR player's manufacturers with firmware updates to counteract all the new anti-piracy and seamless branching codecs that movie studios implement in them BR discs. ...That's the Blu-ray name business plan...from 2006 and still going strong today/
...And with HDMI and all that 2K from yesterday and 4K jazz of tomorrow.

We are infested by the HDMI diseases to a point of almost no return.

Last edited by NorthSky; 04-13-2015 at 03:04 PM.
post #40314 of 40319 Old 04-13-2015, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
True, but the problems seem to be limited to 7.1 Dolby THD titles, which are pretty rare. There are many more titles with DTS-MA and complex branching, and they exhibit no problems for the most part.
I wasn't aware the title had to be 7.1 audio to exhibit dropouts on these models . . I thought the problematic combo was seamless branching + Dolby TrueHD/Atmos whether 5.1 or 7.1?

post #40315 of 40319 Old 04-13-2015, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Yes, but so far those four Lionsgate BR discs (Dolby Atmos encoded) are the probematic ones; as in factual reality now.
I don't want to extrapolate into the future as it can get worse before it gets better; and then we'll all need to buy newer Blu-ray players.

I truly don't care who's @ fault; I just want the Blu-ray discs to play properly in all our BR players. ...Nothing else.
And we all know what is needed; support from the BR player's manufacturers with firmware updates to counteract all the new anti-piracy and seamless branching codecs that movie studios implement in them BR discs. ...That's the Blu-ray name business plan...from 2006 and still going strong today/
...And with HDMI and all that 2K from yesterday and 4K jazz of tomorrow.

We are infested by the HDMI diseases to a point of almost no return.
I wasn't focused on fault in my post - just trying to nail down the accurate definition of the title characteristics that the players struggle with. I agree that all we want is for our purchased and rented titles to play on our existing players.

post #40316 of 40319 Old 04-13-2015, 03:53 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ As best I know, ONLY Dolby TrueHD 7.1 tracks can exhibit this problem, and only when combined with complex seamless branching. All Atmos tracks are Dolby TrueHD 7.1 tracks (with additional chocolate sprinkles).

As has been stated several times, if playing an Atmos track AS Atmos is not something you care about, you can use HDMI Audio LPCM with all Dolby TrueHD 7.1 tracks (whether or not they are also Atmos tracks) and eliminate the potential for dropouts that might occur if the disc happens to also be authored with complex seamless branching.

If you DO care about playing an Atmos track AS Atmos (into a suitable, Atmos AVR and Atmos speaker configuration), you will need to use HDMI Audio Bitstream. You can try that with the 83, but if you get dropouts, then you know that particular disc is not suitable for proper playback of Atmos on the 83.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #40317 of 40319 Old 04-13-2015, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Rich, I was only saying for me personally, with no one/nothing else in mind.

* And I bet that DTS:X is the solution of this entire issue right now.
post #40318 of 40319 Old 04-13-2015, 04:01 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Yep, it's fun to imagine DTS:X will have no authoring, decoding, configuration, or implementation problems.

This is, of course, part of the joy of contemplating a product between the time it is announced and the time it actually ships.

E.g.: Love is that period between meeting a beautiful girl and realizing she has a face like a haddock.
--Bob

post #40319 of 40319 Old 04-13-2015, 08:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Bob, you're just too funny sometimes.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
105d , 83se , Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - 105d by PriceGrabber.com