Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1345 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #40321 of 40349 Old 04-29-2015, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
My Oppo 83 wont display anything on my tv screen after i tried to play a PAL disc in player and set system from NTSC to multisystem.I want to change it back but it wont display anything on screen except mode not supported.Ive tried P/N button on remote and setup menu and nothing comes up on screen except mode not supported.I took out the disc,shut off player,unplugged player and still nothing on screen but mode not supported.Please help.
1st, there's no need to make any changes for PAL content, just leave the player set to NTSC.
You may need to press the P/N button more than once to get back to NTSC output. Be sure to remove any disc from the player first.
mattg3 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40322 of 40349 Old 04-29-2015, 08:25 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 1117
Quote:
My Oppo 83 wont display anything on my tv screen after i tried to play a PAL disc in player and set system from NTSC to multisystem.I want to change it back but it wont display anything on screen except mode not supported.Ive tried P/N button on remote and setup menu and nothing comes up on screen except mode not supported.I took out the disc,shut off player,unplugged player and still nothing on screen but mode not supported.Please help.
Here's the fix -- from OPPO's Knowledge Base:

http://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=83

--Bob
mattg3 likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #40323 of 40349 Old 04-29-2015, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
1st, there's no need to make any changes for PAL content, just leave the player set to NTSC.
You may need to press the P/N button more than once to get back to NTSC output. Be sure to remove any disc from the player first.
Thanks for your help.So you are saying I can play a region free Blu Ray PAL disc on my oppo 83 without having to make any changes to my player?That is great news.

Matt
post #40324 of 40349 Old 04-29-2015, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks for your help.So you are saying I can play a region free Blu Ray PAL disc on my oppo 83 without having to make any changes to my player?That is great news.
When the player is set to NTSC output, ANY content will be output at 60Hz. (except 24p BD content)
post #40325 of 40349 Old 04-29-2015, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
When the player is set to NTSC output, ANY content will be output at 60Hz. (except 24p BD content)
Thanks.Is there anyway to tell if a PAL blu ray disc is 24p?

Matt
post #40326 of 40349 Old 04-29-2015, 04:55 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Before playing it? The box sometimes gives the frame rate. Else, the on screen display shows it during playback.

-Bill
mattg3 likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #40327 of 40349 Old 04-29-2015, 04:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
If its 24p, its not PAL. But all you have to do is pull up the OSD in the Oppo. (Info button)
Most BD movies are 24p. TV shows, concerts and the like may be 50i (PAL).
mattg3 likes this.
post #40328 of 40349 Old 04-29-2015, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 117
There is no such thing as a PAL Blu-Ray. PAL is a standard video format and doesn't apply to Blu-Ray. There can be PAL standard video extras on a Blu-Ray sometimes though. There are Blu-Ray 50i discs but these are rare (mostly some documentaries or European music video) but the Oppos can play these just fine. Almost all movies, regardless of country of origin, are 24p. What does matter is whether the disc is region-free (i.e. Zone AB or ABC) rather than region-locked (Zone A). The majority of major studio Blu-Ray discs are region-free these days. Exceptions are usually from smaller publishers like Criterion, Eureka, Olive and some others.
mattg3 likes this.

post #40329 of 40349 Old 04-29-2015, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks.I feel a lot more secure about ordering region free blu ray concerts on amazon.com UK now.

Matt
post #40330 of 40349 Old 04-29-2015, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only]

A lot of the UK movies are region locked on BD (eg: Paddington) so be careful and look them up on blu-ray.com or other sites before buying. For music / concerts I think you will be safe.

There is a quick and easy firmware hack that will make the player DVD region free. It does nothing for BD regions. See the FAQ or search this thread for "Super Disk".
edit: oh wait, I see you were looking into this 2 years ago. Retire that 983 yet?

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.

Last edited by AVfile; 04-29-2015 at 11:03 PM.
post #40331 of 40349 Old Yesterday, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

nope perfect international dvd player

Matt
post #40332 of 40349 Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Does anyone know if Persistent Storage should be cleaned out on a regular basis?
post #40333 of 40349 Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM
Read the FAQ!

It's highly unlikely you'll need to clean it due to running short of space. However, there have been instances where studios managed to leave stuff in there from one of their titles which screwed up proper playback from another of their titles. This isn't supposed to happen (use of Persistent Storage is supposed to be keyed to individual discs), but there you go. So if the player starts behaving oddly, the recommended first steps will always include Erasing Persistent Storage, "just in case".
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #40334 of 40349 Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Is it okay to do on a "regular" basis, Bob?
post #40335 of 40349 Old Yesterday, 11:00 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Oh, sure. Any disc which uses it will simply reload content it wants to store there (playback status or stuff downloaded off the Internet) next time you play that disc.
--Bob

post #40336 of 40349 Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I mean clear the persistent storage out; this can be done regularly? Would this ensure the player's memory isn't getting "bogged down" leading to slower performance, etc?
post #40337 of 40349 Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
I mean clear the persistent storage out; this can be done regularly? Would this ensure the player's memory isn't getting "bogged down" leading to slower performance, etc?
Persistent Storage is not a problem -- until it's a problem. I clear it constantly when testing firmware. If there were a "clear automatically" feature I'd use it.

But there is no reason to do so unless you experience a playback problem.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #40338 of 40349 Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Persistent Storage is not a problem -- until it's a problem. I clear it constantly when testing firmware. If there were a "clear automatically" feature I'd use it.

But there is no reason to do so unless you experience a playback problem.

-Bill

Well, I'm always in the player's setup menu when I do "system diagnostic" checks every so often on my entire system...this is when I dump the Persistent Storage...was just wondering if it was okay to do so on a regular basis, even if "something isn't wrong" with the player...
post #40339 of 40349 Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Well, I'm always in the player's setup menu when I do "system diagnostic" checks every so often on my entire system...this is when I dump the Persistent Storage...was just wondering if it was okay to do so on a regular basis, even if "something isn't wrong" with the player...
Perfectly fine.

-Bill

post #40340 of 40349 Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

If you play HFPA BD-A discs a lot you must clean Persistent Storage on a regular basis. For some reason they give the player fits unless you do.
post #40341 of 40349 Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Perfectly fine.

-Bill

As long as he realizes what he's dumping and doesn't mind.

- AVStefan
post #40342 of 40349 Old Today, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post
04/08/15: received the 83 this A.M. Looks and acts like new, and for no cost to me. Excellent!

Well, I finally got tired of pushing the eject button multiple times to get the empty tray to open, called Oppo yesterday for an RMA, dropped it off in Mountain View around noon today (beautiful drive down I280), and just received the notice that it's been Fedexed and will be at my door tomorrow! I love that company!

BTW: if you decide to take your 83 in person, do not believe your GPS!
I had the same problem that I was tired of dealing with. Shipped mine off April 17th from Virginia, Oppo received my unit on April 24th, they fixed my unit at no cost to me and shipped the unit out the same day. Repaired unit was delivered today, can't wait to get home and get it back up and going. Customer service is OUTSTANDING, by far the best I've had the chance to deal with.
post #40343 of 40349 Old Today, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Perfectly fine.

-Bill

Thank you, sir.
post #40344 of 40349 Old Today, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
If you play HFPA BD-A discs a lot you must clean Persistent Storage on a regular basis. For some reason they give the player fits unless you do.

I don't, but thank you for the heads up.
post #40345 of 40349 Old Today, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
As long as he realizes what he's dumping and doesn't mind.

What does that mean?
post #40346 of 40349 Old Today, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only]

Quote:
What does that mean?

Do you know what you're erasing or not? If not maybe you should leave it alone. It sounds like you're erasing it just because you can.

- AVStefan
post #40347 of 40349 Old Today, 07:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
What does that mean?
There's really no problem. Persistent storage keeps data from each disc you play which was intended to be saved. This might include resume playback points, downloaded BD-Live junk, or any of a plethora of stuff the JAVA programmer thought was a good idea. If you're done playing a BD and don't expect to be using it again soon, there's no reason not to erase. Much of what gets stored there is erased by the JAVA programming when you stop playback of the disc, by design. If a disc is ejected without properly stopping playback, or if the player crashes for some reason, or power is interrupted, etc., stuff can be left behind that wasn't meant to be saved. Erasing storage is a fix for that scenario when the stuff left behind causes problems. Sometimes discs from the same studio might have similar programming being saved, which may or may not cause issues. Bottom line is that you can erase it as often as you like and NEVER cause an issue other than losing resume points or similar data.
post #40348 of 40349 Old Today, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
Do you know what you're erasing or not? If not maybe you should leave it alone. It sounds like you're erasing it just because you can.

I assumed, as was quasi-confirmed by the member who posted after you, that by always erasing this protocol platform it would keep the player "clean" and faster performing, so to speak; as it is, I don't have the player connected to take advantage of BD Live and I keep that function off anyway...

What would you suggest would be "important" to "keep in there" and not have erased?
post #40349 of 40349 Old Today, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There's really no problem. Persistent storage keeps data from each disc you play which was intended to be saved. This might include resume playback points, downloaded BD-Live junk, or any of a plethora of stuff the JAVA programmer thought was a good idea. If you're done playing a BD and don't expect to be using it again soon, there's no reason not to erase. Much of what gets stored there is erased by the JAVA programming when you stop playback of the disc, by design. If a disc is ejected without properly stopping playback, or if the player crashes for some reason, or power is interrupted, etc., stuff can be left behind that wasn't meant to be saved. Erasing storage is a fix for that scenario when the stuff left behind causes problems. Sometimes discs from the same studio might have similar programming being saved, which may or may not cause issues. Bottom line is that you can erase it as often as you like and NEVER cause an issue other than losing resume points or similar data.

Thank you VERY much, sir, for confirming this for me and explaining it.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
105d , 83se , Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - 105d by PriceGrabber.com