Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1348 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #40411 of 40434 Old 06-02-2015, 05:02 PM
Member
 
krelian99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks guys for your inputs

well the higher quality 2-channel stereo is what's so important for me
I have many SACDs, DTS DVDs and Classical concerts DVDs. I will connect the 2-RCA outputs to my Sansui amp for stereo goodness and, of course, HDMI out to an AV receiver for film

sent an email to Oppo, let's see how it goes
krelian99 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #40412 of 40434 Old 06-02-2015, 08:06 PM
Member
 
jlib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Carmel Valley, CA
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The SE upgrade also offered an improved DAC for the 7.1 analog over the standard version although not as much as the stereo improvement. Useful for AV receivers that can't decode DSD over HDMI (most don't) when playing multi-channel SACDs.

It seems doubtful that the upgrade was a DIY kit (at least in the USA or I would have jumped at that if it were) since it involved changing the power supply. I remember having to return mine to OPPO. There were no other options.

The description of the upgrade by that vendor you posted is exactly as Oppo described it so they must have been doing the official upgrade for Oppo for those who could not easily return it to Oppo.
jlib is offline  
post #40413 of 40434 Old 06-03-2015, 06:31 AM
Member
 
krelian99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
got a reply from Oppo
Quote:
CRT Projectors became OPPO UK, so they were a legitimate reseller of our products. The BDP-83SE has an upgraded audio board with 32-bit DACs, so it should sound better than the stock BDP-83.

Best Regards,
so it seems all legit
good to know
krelian99 is online now  
post #40414 of 40434 Old 06-03-2015, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 17,235
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
The SE upgrade also offered an improved DAC for the 7.1 analog over the standard version although not as much as the stereo improvement.
The 93 and 103 incorporate much of what was learned in the 83SE development, so at least for 7.1 usage the 83SE offers nothing over the 93 or 103. At least nothing that anyone can hear.
rdgrimes is online now  
post #40415 of 40434 Old 06-03-2015, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
djos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,249
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
And if you bitstream everything including DSD over HDMI like I do, the SE is a complete waste of money.
IntelliVolume likes this.

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.
djos is online now  
post #40416 of 40434 Old 06-03-2015, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 73
What I'm still itching to know is if Oppo's next-generation 4K/Ultra Blu-ray decks will be "double backward compatible" -- that is, will they upscale DVD AND Blu-ray to 4K over one HDMI link?

5.1:
ONKYO TX-SR605B - oppo BDP-83 - SONY KDS-50A2020 SXRD
polkaudio RTi12 - polkaudio CSi30 - SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling Surrounds - polkaudio PSW350
2-CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC-4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL - Numark CDMIX 1 - Infinity PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120USB
IntelliVolume is online now  
post #40417 of 40434 Old 06-04-2015, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 3,142
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
What I'm still itching to know is if Oppo's next-generation 4K/Ultra Blu-ray decks will be "double backward compatible" -- that is, will they upscale DVD AND Blu-ray to 4K over one HDMI link?
I would think so. Oppo seems to pride itself as producing universal players. DVD is still widely in use, maybe more so than bluray.
djos and IntelliVolume like this.
hernanu is online now  
post #40418 of 40434 Old 06-08-2015, 10:07 AM
Member
 
Grendel007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
laser head dirty?

Hello Guys!


I've got a problem with my Oppo 83SE.


After inserting any CD, DVD or SACD the player displays either: "unknown disc" or "No disc".


However, it can play Blu rays without problems.


Is the laser head dirty?
Or is it something more serious?


I will be very grateful for any comment and help.
Grendel007 is offline  
post #40419 of 40434 Old 06-08-2015, 10:17 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28,680
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
^ Sure, the most likely cause is that the lens for the red laser needs cleaning. (Blu-ray playback is via a separate blue laser.)

Give OPPO Tech Support a call or email and they can walk you through your options for cleaning it.

If cleaning doesn't fix the problem then the red laser may have failed. That would require hardware service. OPPO offers reasonably priced, flat rate service for players out of warranty.
--Bob
Grendel007 likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #40420 of 40434 Old 06-08-2015, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cfraser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto area, Canada
Posts: 1,435
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I'm curious if anybody has bought an aftermarket (but OEM) laser or (preferably) deck for the 83. I think I've seen them before, maybe a couple years ago. I wouldn't mind getting a spare deck, that would replace all the stuff most likely to break (I think...). I'm quite protective of the 83 for its DVD abilities, would hate to lose that (no sign of it yet), just thinking of the future. Source, deck (or laser assembly) part number? Thanks. [Shipping to/from CA would likely be quite expensive from here.]
cfraser is offline  
post #40421 of 40434 Old 06-08-2015, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,378
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
I would think so. Oppo seems to pride itself as producing universal players. DVD is still widely in use, maybe more so than bluray.

They told me, in a recent email conversation, that they won't have an Ultra Blu-ray player until mid to late 2016 and that it "should" be double-backward compatible...

5.1:
ONKYO TX-SR605B - oppo BDP-83 - SONY KDS-50A2020 SXRD
polkaudio RTi12 - polkaudio CSi30 - SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling Surrounds - polkaudio PSW350
2-CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC-4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL - Numark CDMIX 1 - Infinity PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120USB
IntelliVolume is online now  
post #40422 of 40434 Old 06-14-2015, 08:52 AM
Member
 
krelian99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so, I have been playing around with it for the past few weeks
BDs and DVDs playback is good, audio is well....amazing, classical concerts never sounded better

however I'm having troubles with AVCHDs (on DVD-R)
video stutters, lots of artifacts shown, it's basically unplayable
this happens with every AVCHD I have
the very same disks play flawlessly on 2 different Sony BD players (S350 and S550) and the PS3

any idea?
krelian99 is online now  
post #40423 of 40434 Old 06-14-2015, 02:37 PM
Member
 
MikeMc5506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Oppo 83 SE set up for 2 channel

I'm repurposing my older system, and planning to use my 83SE for 2 channel, primarily for high definition music but also for movies. It will be hooked up to a Lexicon DC 1 which has been modified to have 2 Channel by pass. Amp will be my old Bryston 4B. I'm shopping for speakers and haven't decided yet.

What's the best way to connect, Oppo analog stereo into the Lexicon 2 channel by bass analog inputs, or digital coax from the Oppo to the Lexicon? I remember discussion on this site years ago, and I think analog to analog was recommended so the upgraded DAC's of the Oppo would be used, but I'm not sure.
MikeMc5506 is online now  
post #40424 of 40434 Old 06-14-2015, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
LCSeminole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Florida Panhandle
Posts: 525
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc5506 View Post
I'm repurposing my older system, and planning to use my 83SE for 2 channel, primarily for high definition music but also for movies. It will be hooked up to a Lexicon DC 1 which has been modified to have 2 Channel by pass. Amp will be my old Bryston 4B. I'm shopping for speakers and haven't decided yet.

What's the best way to connect, Oppo analog stereo into the Lexicon 2 channel by bass analog inputs, or digital coax from the Oppo to the Lexicon? I remember discussion on this site years ago, and I think analog to analog was recommended so the upgraded DAC's of the Oppo would be used, but I'm not sure.
Anyone's answer here will be subjective at best, so since you are the one that is listening and not us, the real answer to your question is which DAC do you prefer? I bet you can have both hooked up and switch back and forth between the two connections, if so let us know what you prefer.

Emotiva XMC-1/XPR-2/XPR-5/Remote 1(URC MX-500)
Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Oppo BDP-93, Sony CDP-X111ES, Amazon Fire TV
Furman PL-PRO DMC 20A/Monster Power HTS-5000
SVS PB12-Plus DSP x 2
Klipsch KLF-20 & KLF-C7(Crites Tweeter/Midrange Diaphragms & Crossovers)
Klipsch RB-5II (Side/Rear Surrounds)
LCSeminole is offline  
post #40425 of 40434 Old 06-17-2015, 04:02 AM
Member
 
jlib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Carmel Valley, CA
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc5506 View Post
I'm repurposing my older system, and planning to use my 83SE for 2 channel, primarily for high definition music...
If by high definition music you mean SACD then RCA analog cables are the way to go, especially with the SE version of the BDP-83 player (you paid dearly for the high-end 32-bit ES9016 Sabre Ultra DAC on the stereo analog outs). Very few pre/pros or receivers can decode DSD and then only via HDMI, never digital coax or optical. It is not clear what you mean by "bass analog inputs". If you are using bypass on the analog inputs as you mention there won't be any bass input or any other processing.
jlib is offline  
post #40426 of 40434 Old 06-17-2015, 08:31 AM
Member
 
MikeMc5506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlib View Post
If by high definition music you mean SACD then RCA analog cables are the way to go, especially with the SE version of the BDP-83 player (you paid dearly for the high-end 32-bit ES9016 Sabre Ultra DAC on the stereo analog outs). Very few pre/pros or receivers can decode DSD and then only via HDMI, never digital coax or optical. It is not clear what you mean by "bass analog inputs". If you are using bypass on the analog inputs as you mention there won't be any bass input or any other processing.
"Bass analog inputs" is a typo. Meant to say "2 Channel bypass inputs". I had my Lexicon modified sometime ago to have 8 channel discrete inputs so I could use it with the Oppo, since it didn't have HDMI. Later, I had it further modified to have a 2 channel bypass input so there's no processing by the Lexicon using those inputs. So I could go from the Oppo stereo analog outs to the Lexicon bypass analog inputs. I retired the system, gave it to my daughter so I forgot how all this works. I'm considering swapping her a new AV receiver for my old system including the Oppo 83SE, Bryston amps, Lex preamp so I can have a simple dedicated 2 channel system.

You answered my question. To use the upgraded Oppo SE DAC's, I have to use the stereo analog inputs. Thanks
MikeMc5506 is online now  
post #40427 of 40434 Old 06-17-2015, 04:44 PM
Member
 
glemigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel007 View Post
Hello Guys!


I've got a problem with my Oppo 83SE.


After inserting any CD, DVD or SACD the player displays either: "unknown disc" or "No disc".


However, it can play Blu rays without problems.


Is the laser head dirty?
Or is it something more serious?


I will be very grateful for any comment and help.

I had the exact same problem, they told me (they emailed instructions) to clean the lenses with alcohol, after that did not work I had to send it in for service, it was s $79 flat fee service and they replaced the "Optical Unit"
Grendel007 likes this.
glemigh is offline  
post #40428 of 40434 Old 06-17-2015, 04:54 PM
Member
 
Grendel007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by glemigh View Post
I had the exact same problem, they told me (they emailed instructions) to clean the lenses with alcohol, after that did not work I had to send it in for service, it was s $79 flat fee service and they replaced the "Optical Unit"
Thank You for your answer.


I already replaced the loader (optical drive unit) myself.
Grendel007 is offline  
post #40429 of 40434 Old 06-21-2015, 10:26 PM
Member
 
MikeMc5506's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Oppo 83 SE Inputs?

Is there anyway to have the Oppo 83 SE modified to stream audio files, or to play high res audio from the the ethernet or usb connection?
MikeMc5506 is online now  
post #40430 of 40434 Old 06-22-2015, 04:12 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,567
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc5506 View Post
Is there anyway to have the Oppo 83 SE modified to stream audio files, or to play high res audio from the the ethernet or usb connection?
MP3 and PCM are supported over DLNA. PCM is lossless, but I'm not sure what the limitations on bit rate or channels are for DLNA.

See the FAQ for more: What lossless audio file formats are supported?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is offline  
post #40431 of 40434 Old 06-24-2015, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
donaldsonjune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 693
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hello All,

Will the 83 unit play mkv file via usb input?

June
"IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
donaldsonjune is offline  
post #40432 of 40434 Old 06-24-2015, 07:10 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,567
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsonjune View Post
Hello All,

Will the 83 unit play mkv file via usb input?
It will. See this section of the FAQ: Media Files

However: the implementation is several years old I think commonly used revisions to the MKV headers may be a problem. It's been so long since I did testing that I've forgotten the details.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is offline  
post #40433 of 40434 Old Today, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
IanD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 1,888
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelian99 View Post
so, I have been playing around with it for the past few weeks
BDs and DVDs playback is good, audio is well....amazing, classical concerts never sounded better

however I'm having troubles with AVCHDs (on DVD-R)
video stutters, lots of artifacts shown, it's basically unplayable
this happens with every AVCHD I have
the very same disks play flawlessly on 2 different Sony BD players (S350 and S550) and the PS3
AVCHD on DVD needs to conform to particular limitations for bitrate and structure and perhaps the Oppo is more stringent in requirements than other players.

Why use DVD constraints on a player that can handle full HD Bluray? Use BD-R whenever possible or a FAT32 USB drive.

The other possibility is that the red laser is dirty and borderline for higher bitrate: try to clean it and see if that improves the situation.
IanD is online now  
post #40434 of 40434 Old Today, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
IanD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 1,888
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsonjune View Post
Will the 83 unit play mkv file via usb input?
Yes, although there are a number of limitations, chief amongst them being only FAT32 is supported meaning files must be <4GB (but also doesn't support header compression or many codec combinations).

You are better off using ClownBD to create a movie-only Bluray structure with FAT32 attributes, since the Oppo 83 will playback Bluray structure from USB drive as if it was a genuine disc, with full navigation and codec support. Unfortunately BD Rebuilder does not support FAT32, otherwise you would be able to convert a complete Bluray to run from USB drive, including original menus.
IanD is online now  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
105d , 83se , Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - 105d by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off