Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1362 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 266Likes

post #40831 of 40915 Old 02-07-2016, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
This is indeed strange -- that they didn't charge you anything -- as I am having the drawer opening/closing issue, and they wanted like over $100 because it was "out of warranty"....
Hmm, I have never heard anyone say that Oppo charged them for the drawer malfunction fix, because it's a defective part.
Maybe they didn't understand your issue, or your issue is actually a different problem, or you don't live in the USA.
AVfile, barryecohen and grubavs like this.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40832 of 40915 Old 02-07-2016, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
Hmm, I have never heard anyone say that Oppo charged them for the drawer malfunction fix, because it's a defective part.
Maybe they didn't understand your issue, or your issue is actually a different problem, or you don't live in the USA.

I actually live very close to their headquarters, in the U.S, so that's not the issue. Let me see if I can dig up the exact email they sent...

5.1:
ONKYO TX-SR605B - oppo BDP-83 - SONY KDS-50A2020 SXRD
polkaudio RTi12 - polkaudio CSi30 - SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling Surrounds - polkaudio PSW350
2 CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC-4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL - Numark CDMIX 1 - Infinity PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120-USB
post #40833 of 40915 Old 02-07-2016, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay, I guess I was mistaken about the quote -- here is their original response email to me:

Unfortunately it appears that the player will need to be repaired.

An Out of Warranty Repair for the BDP-83 will cost $79.00 plus shipping to us. This fee will cover all parts, labor, and return shipping to domestic United States addresses. You can purchase an Out of Warranty Repair Service at: http://www.oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RSBDP83

Once we have received your order you will receive a return shipping authorization and instructions within 24 hours.

I suppose I got the "more than $100" assumption from remembering it would be $79 plus shipping to them, which would put it around $100 or so...

They also said this:

No Disc and Unknown Disc errors can be caused by the laser head being dirty or otherwise obstructed, or are due to the laser head wearing down. You can try to open the player and clean the laser head directly with a cotton swab and alcohol, but it is not guarantee that this will resolve your issues.

For the tray eject this will require a change in some hardware components to fix. We can offer to repair the tray free of charge, but if we need to replace the loader, we will have to charge you for the repair.

5.1:
polkaudio RTi12 - polkaudio CSi30 - SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling Surrounds - polkaudio PSW350
2 CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC-4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL - Numark CDMIX 1 - Infinity PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120-USB
post #40834 of 40915 Old 02-08-2016, 10:04 AM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Okay, I guess I was mistaken about the quote -- here is their original response email to me:---snip--
[I]An Out of Warranty Repair for the BDP-83 will cost $79.00 plus shipping to us. This fee will cover all parts, labor, and return shipping to domestic United States addresses. ---snip---

I suppose I got the "more than $100" assumption from remembering it would be $79 plus shipping to them, which would put it around $100 or so...

---snip---
So, do what I did, if you live close... physically take it to them and save the shipping. The repair location I took it to was in Mountain View, CA.

That's what Bilbo Baggins hates!
post #40835 of 40915 Old 02-08-2016, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^ Keep in mind please that Oppo Digital Inc B&M location is no longer in Mountain View, but has recently moved to...
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #40836 of 40915 Old 02-08-2016, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post
So, do what I did, if you live close... physically take it to them and save the shipping. The repair location I took it to was in Mountain View, CA.

Oh, I don't reside that close, grub; I meant more like a neighboring state...

5.1:
2 CHANNEL:
post #40837 of 40915 Old 02-08-2016, 04:39 PM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^ Keep in mind please that Oppo Digital Inc B&M location is no longer in Mountain View, but has recently moved to...
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
DOH!

EDIT: but wait! That's even closer to my house! 'Course I hope I don't need to go to them again (for my 83, anyway)

post #40838 of 40915 Old 02-13-2016, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bluraychip.dk multi-region mod dead?

Years ago I installed the bluraychip.dk mod to make the player region free. Haven't watched a disc from a different region in years. Felt compelled to do so now and it appears that the mod no longer works. The premise used to be that one powered up the player by hitting a 1, 2, or 3 key on the remote--and that the player would then boot into Region A, B, or C. Does this not work any more? My machine is not auto-powering up when the remote is touched. A region B disc is getting rejected. Any help would be appreciated.
post #40839 of 40915 Old 02-13-2016, 02:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Koegel View Post
Any help would be appreciated.
Yours sounds like the Mod I have - It works like this:

Quote:
By default, your Oppo player is now region free for DVD.

To set the bluray region to A, B or C, please
press “1”, “2” or “3” on the remote when the player is in standby. (Red light at front power button). The
player will automatically power on, when “1”, “2” or “3” is pressed.

To disable the automatic power on, press the blue button on the remote once.
To enable automatic power on again, press the yellow button once.

To select a specific DVD region, press green button followed by a number from "0" to "6". For automatic
all region free - select "0".
Sounds like the auto-power-on might not be enabled.

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.
post #40840 of 40915 Old 02-13-2016, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Djos, thanks. I too think it's the auto-power issue. Can't quite figure out how to re-enable it, though. Tried pressing the yellow button both with the power off (power switch glowing red) and with the power on (blue). But neither seems to have any impact. Not seeing anything in the menus that obviously relates to power-on either. Hoping that some firmware update from Oppo hasn't killed the mod.
post #40841 of 40915 Old 02-13-2016, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Djos, thanks. I too think it's the auto-power issue. Can't quite figure out how to re-enable it, though. Tried pressing the yellow button both with the power off (power switch glowing red) and with the power on (blue). But neither seems to have any impact. Not seeing anything in the menus that obviously relates to power-on either. Hoping that some firmware update from Oppo hasn't killed the mod.
The mod works fine on my player (83SE) and I have the latest firmware. I don't believe the issue is with the mod.

post #40842 of 40915 Old 02-13-2016, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

You might just need to reseat the ribbon cable. the latest FW works fine too.

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.
post #40843 of 40915 Old 02-17-2016, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
So I'm having an issue with my BDP-83 I've not seen until just the last couple of months. If I pause a Blu-ray for longer than a few seconds (haven't verified the exact time), when I resume, the disc stutters, and sometimes doesn't continue to play at all, just as if the disc were dirty/damaged. If I try using any of the controls, the player seems to completely hang up, and then doesn't respond to playback controls, or even the eject button. I can only fix it by powering off the player and restarting. Then, the disc plays normally, whether I have to go to the chapter or the resume works.

Full disclosure: I have the JVB region-free mod installed (but I have had it installed since 2009), and in 2013, I had Oppo fix the dreaded tray not opening problem, and that problem has not returned.

Anyone else seen this?

Dave Barnhart

Oppo BDP-103D, Denon X4200W, LG 55EF9500
post #40844 of 40915 Old 02-17-2016, 06:11 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbii View Post
So I'm having an issue with my BDP-83 I've not seen until just the last couple of months. If I pause a Blu-ray for longer than a few seconds (haven't verified the exact time), when I resume, the disc stutters, and sometimes doesn't continue to play at all, just as if the disc were dirty/damaged. If I try using any of the controls, the player seems to completely hang up, and then doesn't respond to playback controls, or even the eject button. I can only fix it by powering off the player and restarting. Then, the disc plays normally, whether I have to go to the chapter or the resume works.

Full disclosure: I have the JVB region-free mod installed (but I have had it installed since 2009), and in 2013, I had Oppo fix the dreaded tray not opening problem, and that problem has not returned.

Anyone else seen this?
Sounds like your optical drive needs service. It's having trouble reading the disc when coming out of Pause.

This causes the player to try to do disc read recovery -- i.e., to try to advance to a readable portion of the disc. While that's going on the player can appear to be frozen with respect to the usual playback controls.

If this is an easily repeatable problem -- showing up on multiple, commercial Blu-ray discs -- I suggest you give OPPO Tech Support a call to see if they have any suggestions before you send the player in for service. If you do need to send it in, OPPO has reasonably priced flat-rate service for players out of warranty.
--Bob
dcbii likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #40845 of 40915 Old 02-17-2016, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Any of you BDP-83 owners have pics of your setups you can share?

My unit has been on top of my AVR, on a separate shelf though, with tons of space above it and I'm wondering if anyone has an aesthetic setup similar to this...

5.1:
2 CHANNEL:
post #40846 of 40915 Old 02-18-2016, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Sounds like your optical drive needs service. It's having trouble reading the disc when coming out of Pause.

This causes the player to try to do disc read recovery -- i.e., to try to advance to a readable portion of the disc. While that's going on the player can appear to be frozen with respect to the usual playback controls.

If this is an easily repeatable problem -- showing up on multiple, commercial Blu-ray discs -- I suggest you give OPPO Tech Support a call to see if they have any suggestions before you send the player in for service. If you do need to send it in, OPPO has reasonably priced flat-rate service for players out of warranty.
--Bob
Bob,

Thanks. I pretty much suspected something like this. It's only been happening the past couple months, and yes, it has happened on multiple commercial BDs. I figured it was a new issue.

One thing before I take this to Oppo -- my memory is a little fuzzy on this, but I seem to remember that there were cleaning discs that were acceptable for use in Oppo BD players. If this is true, I will probably want to try this before getting Oppo techs involved.

Thanks,

Dave Barnhart

post #40847 of 40915 Old 02-18-2016, 07:31 AM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Quote:
Bob,

Thanks. I pretty much suspected something like this. It's only been happening the past couple months, and yes, it has happened on multiple commercial BDs. I figured it was a new issue.

One thing before I take this to Oppo -- my memory is a little fuzzy on this, but I seem to remember that there were cleaning discs that were acceptable for use in Oppo BD players. If this is true, I will probably want to try this before getting Oppo techs involved.

Thanks,
Here: Blu-ray Laser Lens Cleaner
dcbii likes this.

post #40848 of 40915 Old 02-18-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I'll check this out.

Dave Barnhart

post #40849 of 40915 Old 02-18-2016, 08:37 AM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Quote:
Thanks. I'll check this out.
BTW: I use the one that purports to use air turbulence to do the trick... cannot guarantee it actually does anything (aka: snake oil), but I haven't had skipping probs and there was no way I was going to use anything with brushes!

post #40850 of 40915 Old 02-18-2016, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
BTW: I use the one that purports to use air turbulence to do the trick... cannot guarantee it actually does anything (aka: snake oil), but I haven't had skipping probs and there was no way I was going to use anything with brushes!
Personally I would never use anything with brushes on it. I think the brushes could damage the laser,
not to mention some particles could come off of the brushes and land on the laser causing the very issue you are trying to cure.
I would highly recommend the wind tunnel disc since there's virtually no risk for damage.
On the other hand, it also doesn't take much effort to take the top off and clean the lens yourself if you are
capable of doing so, but just be very careful doing it.
The only caveat with the discs is that if something is stuck on the laser, like maybe glue residue from the stickers
they put on rental discs, it's not likely that a cleaning disc will fix it.
Quite honestly, the likelyhood of anything even being on the laser is very low, and when lasers act up,
it usually means it needs repaired, but it never hurts to try other things just in case.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #40851 of 40915 Old 02-19-2016, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

For what it's worth, I use the "vortex/wind tunnel"-driven laser cleaner by Maxell, though I use a Scotch brush-equipped cleaner on my CD changer in my two-channel room and have used brush-equipped DVD laser cleaners in the past (Allsop's "Carbon Edge Pro" cleaner)...I don't understand why, if these brushes can scratch the lens, companies would make them in such a way...

5.1:
2 CHANNEL:
post #40852 of 40915 Old 02-19-2016, 06:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
For what it's worth, I use the "vortex/wind tunnel"-driven laser cleaner by Maxell, though I use a Scotch brush-equipped cleaner on my CD changer in my two-channel room and have used brush-equipped DVD laser cleaners in the past (Allsop's "Carbon Edge Pro" cleaner)...I don't understand why, if these brushes can scratch the lens, companies would make them in such a way...
I think for the most part they are probably safe to use, but it's that "potential" for damage that makes me hesitant to use
something like that, and the most hesitation comes in recommending something like that to someone else,
and then if it does cause damage, I would feel responsible.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #40853 of 40915 Old 02-20-2016, 06:13 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
This is indeed strange -- that they didn't charge you anything -- as I am having the drawer opening/closing issue, and they wanted like over $100 because it was "out of warranty"....

My interaction with Oppo started as a tech support call where I asked for the part to buy to fix the drawer issue (which I assumed was the nylon spindle that stabilizes the disc from the top, gets loose over time etc.). I described how every once in a while I would forget to leave a CD in and would need to open the player to get it all going again, etc. The tech explained that it was a more complicated fix than replacing the top nylon spindle (I think he mentioned magnets?) and then offered to fix it for free.

The fix they did looks to me to have included replacement of the whole drawer mechanism or even the transport - it looks like a new drawer was put in (new shiny plastic front) and the whole thing is operating with renewed energy - before sending it the drawer would open only hesitantly and make noises indicative of a weak motor. I would need to open the player to confirm.

Still (even if I was lucky they did it for free) -thank you Oppo! [if you thought this would steer me to buy a new 103 next, you were right!]

grubavs likes this.
post #40854 of 40915 Old 02-20-2016, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

There was a run of 83s that used a drawer mechanism that turned out to be failure-prone. These seem to be the ones that Oppo is fixing for free. The "over $100" repair fee quoted above does not seem right if the person is in the U.S. since the Oppo flat fee for all repairs on the 83s is $79 plus you pay shipping of your unit to them. It might be over $100 total if you needed to buy a shipping box from them besides the flat fee and shipping.

post #40855 of 40915 Old 02-20-2016, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
There was a run of 83s that used a drawer mechanism that turned out to be failure-prone. These seem to be the ones that Oppo is fixing for free. The "over $100" repair fee quoted above does not seem right if the person is in the U.S. since the Oppo flat fee for all repairs on the 83s is $79 plus you pay shipping of your unit to them. It might be over $100 total if you needed to buy a shipping box from them besides the flat fee and shipping.

All I know is that this is what they quoted me via email:

Unfortunately it appears that the player will need to be repaired.

An Out of Warranty Repair for the BDP-83 will cost $79.00 plus shipping to us. This fee will cover all parts, labor, and return shipping to domestic United States addresses. You can purchase an Out of Warranty Repair Service at: http://www.oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RSBDP83

Once we have received your order you will receive a return shipping authorization and instructions within 24 hours.

5.1:
2 CHANNEL:
post #40856 of 40915 Old 02-21-2016, 09:07 PM

Cleaning disc

Quote:
For what it's worth, I got the CleanDr. disc, and using that on my 83 seems to have fixed, at least temporarily, the problem where the discs would skip/freeze after pause, so I guess it was a dirty lens issue. Thanks for the help.

Since the issue only happened after a pause, I wouldn't normally have suspected a dirty lens -- I would have figured that would cause it to skip or misplay the disc in more situations. Guess these things can fail in strange ways.

Dave Barnhart

post #40857 of 40915 Old 03-19-2016, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namikis View Post
My interaction with Oppo started as a tech support call where I asked for the part to buy to fix the drawer issue (which I assumed was the nylon spindle that stabilizes the disc from the top, gets loose over time etc.). I described how every once in a while I would forget to leave a CD in and would need to open the player to get it all going again, etc. The tech explained that it was a more complicated fix than replacing the top nylon spindle (I think he mentioned magnets?) and then offered to fix it for free.

The fix they did looks to me to have included replacement of the whole drawer mechanism or even the transport - it looks like a new drawer was put in (new shiny plastic front) and the whole thing is operating with renewed energy - before sending it the drawer would open only hesitantly and make noises indicative of a weak motor. I would need to open the player to confirm.

Still (even if I was lucky they did it for free) -thank you Oppo! [if you thought this would steer me to buy a new 103 next, you were right!]

Completely agree. Their tech support is second to none. Had a similar issue loading discs which firmware upgrades didn't fix. Sent the unit in, and turned out to be an issue with the tray, and they replaced the entire mechanism and then shipped it back no charge. This was also on an out of warranty player! First class operation all the way.
post #40858 of 40915 Old 03-20-2016, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

The issue with some examples of the 83 series was that the tray mechanism was not of the best quality and eventually the problem of opening the drawer would appear. Oppo did not know until problems began appearing that the parts weren't up to snuff. Once they saw that the problem was with the tray mechanism, they have been repairing units with the failure-prone mechanism for free. I don't know of any other company that would acknowledge a parts issue and fix units with those parts for free for years after the warranty has expired. There have been many instances of manufacturers who became aware of parts issues in their products and turned their backs on customers who were the victims of these poor parts (i.e., things like Samsung capacitors, circuit boards in some Pioneer receivers, etc.). This is why Oppo products are worth their price.

post #40859 of 40915 Old 03-20-2016, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
The issue with some examples of the 83 series was that the tray mechanism was not of the best quality and eventually the problem of opening the drawer would appear. Oppo did not know until problems began appearing that the parts weren't up to snuff. Once they saw that the problem was with the tray mechanism, they have been repairing units with the failure-prone mechanism for free. I don't know of any other company that would acknowledge a parts issue and fix units with those parts for free for years after the warranty has expired. There have been many instances of manufacturers who became aware of parts issues in their products and turned their backs on customers who were the victims of these poor parts (i.e., things like Samsung capacitors, circuit boards in some Pioneer receivers, etc.). This is why Oppo products are worth their price.
Couldn't agree more on their superb customer service. None of the big players come close when it comes to customer service. My first Oppo BDP83 was purchased through a custom reseller (with region free kit fitted) in US many years ago through a GB organised by a local AV forum in Australia. When I received it with issue which I won't go into details here, I went through days of troubleshooting with Oppo Tech support. When the issue was narrowed down to potentially the BD loader, they were happy to send the BD loader assembly by Express Mail to me free of charge even though I am based in Australia. And thankfully swapping out the BD loader fixed my issue. It was my very first Oppo player, even though the initial experience wasn't pleasant (I blamed it on the custom reseller for poor quality testing since he is meant to test the player thoroughly before shipping it!!), this could have turned out badly for Oppo. But because of their willingness to help me diagnosed the issue when they could have palmed me off to the reseller, I am sold on their products for life.

The Oppo BDP83 is now my second/backup player. Using the Oppo BDP103D as my main player now and it hasn't missed a beat.
post #40860 of 40915 Old 03-21-2016, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's another vote for Oppo's outstanding customer service...

Can't wait for their 4K player to arrive, as this is the only brand I'd really consider for a primary source player.
Kazz063 and ti-triodes like this.

5.1:
2 CHANNEL:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
105d , 83se , Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page