Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1367 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 286Likes

post #40981 of 41008 Old 06-14-2016, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I heard grain alcohol is a good cleaner. Leaves no residue. And you can have a nice party with the leftovers. 😜

(LCD - Sony KDL -52 XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40982 of 41008 Old 06-15-2016, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 61
That would be fun.

Theoretical question: is it possible (assuming my cleaning the lens doesn't work--and this applies to any BD player, I guess) for a BD player's blue laser to fail (thus leading to my current problem with BDs, and worse down the line) while its red laser remains functional considerably longer? If that is the case (if a problem with the blue laser does not automatically lead to a problem with the red one), then my BDP-83 becomes a pretty decent DVD/DVD-A/SACD/CD player and I need only add a BD player to the system to supplement it (and that BD player need not be an Oppo--don't see the need to spend a lot on a BD player now when, in a couple of years, I'll likely make the move to UHD).

Of course, this speculation on my part is moot if I've woefully misunderstood how the player's innards actually work. Then again, I often come here for expertise beyond my own, so I won't take it personally if I've asked a stupid question.
MrKegFlex likes this.
post #40983 of 41008 Old 06-16-2016, 03:15 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1866 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation View Post
That would be fun.

Theoretical question: is it possible (assuming my cleaning the lens doesn't work--and this applies to any BD player, I guess) for a BD player's blue laser to fail (thus leading to my current problem with BDs, and worse down the line) while its red laser remains functional considerably longer?
Yes.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #40984 of 41008 Old 06-16-2016, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1318 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Theoretical question: is it possible (assuming my cleaning the lens doesn't work--and this applies to any BD player, I guess) for a BD player's blue laser to fail (thus leading to my current problem with BDs, and worse down the line) while its red laser remains functional considerably longer?.
Yes but: Its more commonly a binary state for the blue or red laser. Meaning they either work or don't. The 2 lasers are actually separate devices, they just happen to be contained in a single housing.
post #40985 of 41008 Old 06-16-2016, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Yes but: Its more commonly a binary state for the blue or red laser. Meaning they either work or don't. The 2 lasers are actually separate devices, they just happen to be contained in a single housing.
Ok. But just so I understand, the failure of one (if indeed it is a failure) doesn't preclude the continued viability of the other. Or are you saying that an actual failure of the blue laser wouldn't behave like I've described, it would simply not read the disc at all?
post #40986 of 41008 Old 06-16-2016, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Ok. But just so I understand, the failure of one (if indeed it is a failure) doesn't preclude the continued viability of the other.
Correct
Quote:
Or are you saying that an actual failure of the blue laser wouldn't behave like I've described, it would simply not read the disc at all?
Generally the lasers are all or nothing, they either work or don't. There are exceptions, but normally issues with poor reading are caused by dirt or some other mechanical issue.
post #40987 of 41008 Old 06-16-2016, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 240
And the red, DVD laser diode is a longer wavelength which makes it easier to "get through" dirt, dust, out-gassed film and etc.
post #40988 of 41008 Old 06-17-2016, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I went to the Pennsylvania State Liquor Store to try and get grain alcohol for cleaning purposes. Turned out it would be a pain in the butt to get it. So I just dropped it.

(LCD - Sony KDL -52 XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #40989 of 41008 Old 06-17-2016, 11:38 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post
So I just dropped it.
Did that fix it?

-Bill
gsr likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #40990 of 41008 Old 06-17-2016, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm pretty sure that Oppo would not recommend using ethanol for cleaning inside the player.
post #40991 of 41008 Old 06-18-2016, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post
I went to the Pennsylvania State Liquor Store to try and get grain alcohol for cleaning purposes. Turned out it would be a pain in the butt to get it. So I just dropped it.
You should be able to get a small bottle of 99% isopropyl alcohol from your local pharmacy. It used to be on the shelf with the first aid stuff but now you have to ask at the counter. It only costs a few bucks.
gbreda likes this.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #40992 of 41008 Old 06-20-2016, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I think my isopropyl alcohol at home is 70%. I'll check to see if I can find a higher concentration somewhere.
Walmart and most Drug Stores have 91% isopropyl alcohol. So does Amazon. Amazon also has 99% isopropyl alcohol. (I just learned something, I am going to get some 99%!!)
post #40993 of 41008 Old 06-22-2016, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 240
With all of the talk about what to clean the laser head with, I asked Oppo support about their recommendation and received the following response.

"Chris,

We would just recommend using a cotton swab and some isopropyl alcohol and clean the laser head directly. This will give you the best results.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119 "
post #40994 of 41008 Old 06-24-2016, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
With all of the talk about what to clean the laser head with, I asked Oppo support about their recommendation and received the following response.

"Chris,

We would just recommend using a cotton swab and some isopropyl alcohol and clean the laser head directly. This will give you the best results.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119 "
Thanks for the info. Just need to find the time to do it.
post #40995 of 41008 Old 07-09-2016, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can one remove the backlight LEDs from the remote control's circuit to make the batteries work longer? There are 6 of them in the circuit.
post #40996 of 41008 Old 07-09-2016, 05:05 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoharshetty9 View Post
Can one remove the backlight LEDs from the remote control's circuit to make the batteries work longer? There are 6 of them in the circuit.
OPPO sells non-backlight remotes for $8: http://www.oppodigital.com/products.asp?cat=38

-Bill

post #40997 of 41008 Old 07-09-2016, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
OPPO sells non-backlight remotes for $8: http://www.oppodigital.com/products.asp?cat=38

-Bill
Exactly what I was going to recommend. I bought one thru Amazon shipped from Oppo Digital.
The $8 non-backlit remote has glow-in-the-dark keys instead, which I like!

Will add that the non-illuminated remote uses a pair of AAA batteries which helps make it lighter and thinner rather than the AAs in the illuminated version, so battery longevity may not be much different. AAAs don't have near the same mAh capacity.

Also, the illuminated remote I use when I'm at the player still has its original batteries. The LEDs (probably a few tiny surface-mounted LEDs) don't seem to add much battery drain.

Last edited by ed_in_tx; 07-10-2016 at 09:51 AM.
post #40998 of 41008 Old 07-11-2016, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post
Exactly what I was going to recommend. I bought one thru Amazon shipped from Oppo Digital.
The $8 non-backlit remote has glow-in-the-dark keys instead, which I like!

Will add that the non-illuminated remote uses a pair of AAA batteries which helps make it lighter and thinner rather than the AAs in the illuminated version, so battery longevity may not be much different. AAAs don't have near the same mAh capacity.

Also, the illuminated remote I use when I'm at the player still has its original batteries. The LEDs (probably a few tiny surface-mounted LEDs) don't seem to add much battery drain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

-Bill
I live in India and the remote control is relatively difficult to source and also costs a little more.

Today I just removed(de-soldered) one of the LEDs on the circuit board of the remote and the LEDs are not lighting up any more I guess because of the break in the circuit. The remote now works without the backlight.

The LEDs were very bright and there are six of them, I am sure that is why the batteries were running out so soon. My Pre-Amplifier batteries have lasted for over a year while the Oppo remote battery would run out in just over 2 months.
post #40999 of 41008 Old 07-11-2016, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi,
I've had the Oppo BDP-83 for several years. I recently upgraded my entire system (speakers, receiver, video system, etc.) except for the Oppo.

My new system does Atmos 7.2.4 with 4 ceiling speakers. Does the Oppo BDP-83 support Atmos or do I need to replace the Oppo too?

Also, many new discs do UHD. Can this player support that too?

If my Oppo doesn't support these, I have a BDP-83 for sale.
Thanks,
Steve
post #41000 of 41008 Old 07-11-2016, 06:17 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by saz25 View Post
Does the Oppo BDP-83 support Atmos or do I need to replace the Oppo too?
Yes. However, if the disc is authored with complex seamless branching, you'll run into occasional dropouts. If you didn't care about Atmos, the workaround is to have the player convert the audio to LPCM instead of bitstreaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saz25 View Post
Also, many new discs do UHD. Can this player support that too?
No current player from Oppo (or any current Bluray player, for that matter) can play UHD discs. You need a player that supports the new format; Samsung and Panasonic are the only options at the moment. Oppo is expected to have a UHD player late this year.
post #41001 of 41008 Old 07-11-2016, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Yes. However, if the disc is authored with complex seamless branching, you'll run into occasional dropouts. If you didn't care about Atmos, the workaround is to have the player convert the audio to LPCM instead of bitstreaming.
A quick question here -- I watch a few discs that have Atmos soundtracks, and because I'm not set up for Atmos (and my AVR doesn't decode it or DTS:X), I merely let the core TrueHD or DTS-HD MA signal be decoded via bitstreaming...can't he do that as well?

Quote:
No current player from Oppo (or any current Bluray player, for that matter) can play UHD discs. You need a player that supports the new format; Samsung and Panasonic are the only options at the moment. Oppo is expected to have a UHD player late this year.
So there are dual 4K disc releases out -- those that don't offer UHD output and those that do? If someone had a 4K player now that didn't support UHD, what would happen when playing 4K discs?

As for OPPO, is their player going to be the "last stop" so to speak for 4K playback -- in other words, will it come fully loaded with all we need to take advantage of the 4K medium with a compatible display?

5.1: ONKYO TX-SR605B - oppo BDP-83 - SONY KDS-50A2020 SXRD
Mains: polkaudio RTi12 - Center: polkaudio CSi30 - Surrounds: SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling - Sub: polkaudio PSW350 - Auralex Acoustics SubDude - MONSTER PowerCenter HT700
2-CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL PROFESSIONAL - Numark CDMIX 1 PROFESSIONAL
Infinity BY HARMAN PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120-USB PROFESSIONAL -
Bell'O AT423T Audio Tower
post #41002 of 41008 Old 07-11-2016, 07:31 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
A quick question here -- I watch a few discs that have Atmos soundtracks, and because I'm not set up for Atmos (and my AVR doesn't decode it or DTS:X), I merely let the core TrueHD or DTS-HD MA signal be decoded via bitstreaming...can't he do that as well?
If you're sending Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA to your AVR for decoding rather than letting the player convert it to LPCM, the issue with complex seamless branching will manifest whether you care about Atmos or not. It's ONLY an issue with discs that use complex seamless branching, so you most likely haven't watched one of those movies yet.

Quote:
So there are dual 4K disc releases out -- those that don't offer UHD output and those that do? If someone had a 4K player now that didn't support UHD, what would happen when playing 4K discs?
To play UHD discs, you need a player that supports the new format, it's as simple as that. Just like trying to play a Bluray disc in a DVD player. There isn't such a thing as a 4K player that doesn't support UHD discs - that's the whole point of releasing a UHD player.

Quote:
As for OPPO, is their player going to be the "last stop" so to speak for 4K playback -- in other words, will it come fully loaded with all we need to take advantage of the 4K medium with a compatible display?
I would hope so, but no details have been announced, so we'll have to wait and see what they come up with.
AVfile likes this.
post #41003 of 41008 Old 07-11-2016, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
If you're sending Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA to your AVR for decoding rather than letting the player convert it to LPCM, the issue with complex seamless branching will manifest whether you care about Atmos or not. It's ONLY an issue with discs that use complex seamless branching, so you most likely haven't watched one of those movies yet.
The two discs I own that boast Atmos soundtracks are San Andreas and Terminator: Genisys...

Quote:
To play UHD discs, you need a player that supports the new format, it's as simple as that. Just like trying to play a Bluray disc in a DVD player. There isn't such a thing as a 4K player that doesn't support UHD discs - that's the whole point of releasing a UHD player.
Oh, I think I meant HDR discs and players...

Quote:
I would hope so, but no details have been announced, so we'll have to wait and see what they come up with.
I was merely asking...

5.1: ONKYO TX-SR605B - oppo BDP-83 - SONY KDS-50A2020 SXRD
Mains: polkaudio RTi12 - Center: polkaudio CSi30 - Surrounds: SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling - Sub: polkaudio PSW350 - Auralex Acoustics SubDude - MONSTER PowerCenter HT700
2-CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL PROFESSIONAL - Numark CDMIX 1 PROFESSIONAL
Infinity BY HARMAN PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120-USB PROFESSIONAL -
Bell'O AT423T Audio Tower
post #41004 of 41008 Old Today, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

BDP-83SE audio question:

I have a BDP-83SE I use only with my stereo system. When I play a DVD or Blu Ray with multichannel sound, is the audio coming from the stereo L and R outs always the stereo mix? Independent of the multichannel outs and audio menu settings? Or do I need to go into the menu every time I play a music video disc and select 2.0 to get the correct stereo mix from the L and R outs?
post #41005 of 41008 Old Today, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
BDP-83SE audio question:

I have a BDP-83SE I use only with my stereo system. When I play a DVD or Blu Ray with multichannel sound, is the audio coming from the stereo L and R outs always the stereo mix? Independent of the multichannel outs and audio menu settings? Or do I need to go into the menu every time I play a music video disc and select 2.0 to get the correct stereo mix from the L and R outs?
With DVD or BD you should select a stereo track from the disc's navigation, or use the player's "audio" button to select it.
If you play the multichannel audio from the disc, the player needs to be set to downmix to stereo.
All pretty well covered in your owner's manual.
post #41006 of 41008 Old Today, 08:43 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 1331
Quote:
BDP-83SE audio question:

The dedicated Stereo L/R outputs will always produce a stereo down-mix when you play multi-channel content.

The audio menu settings for speaker configuration and down-mix only apply to the multi-channel Analog audio outputs.

That said, if the multi-channel disc you are playing includes an alternate, stereo track, selecting that will usually produce better results as it is purpose-built stereo instead of applying a down-mix algorithm.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #41007 of 41008 Old Today, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The dedicated Stereo L/R outputs will always produce a stereo down-mix when you play multi-channel content.--Bob
Thanks that's how I interpreted it but wondered if I was really hearing a subtle difference when I would go to the stereo mix.

Quote:
That said, if the multi-channel disc you are playing includes an alternate, stereo track, selecting that will usually produce better results as it is purpose-built stereo instead of applying a down-mix algorithm.
--Bob
Probably explains why I hear a difference, sometimes. Example, playing a new Blu Ray Alan Parsons Project Live in Colombia, the stereo mix output seems a few dB louder when set to playback stereo 2.0 in the disc menu. I haven't tried to measure the difference. Thanks again!

Last edited by ed_in_tx; Today at 10:20 AM.
post #41008 of 41008 Old Today, 09:52 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 1331
^ Yes, the down-mix builds in a fixed amount of "down-mix attenuation" to make sure the 2 output channels can carry the combined content of the multi-channel audio without clipping the input of whatever they are connected to. One of the differences in purpose-built stereo is that the audio engineer knows what levels he can safely build in, and can even vary this during the track.

In the down-mix, Surround channels are also de-emphasized to make sure the front sound stage is not overwhelmed by audio that was intended for the Surrounds. In purpose-built stereo, the audio engineer can choose to retain emphasis on audio that would otherwise go to the Surrounds if he thinks that will improve the mix.

----------------------------

In some cases, the down-mix CAN sound better. For example, if the purpose built stereo track has excessive "compression" -- a sin of the "louder is better" school of audio production -- and the multi-channel track does not. Of course, in that case playing the multi-channel track into a Surround speaker system would sound even better.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; Today at 09:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
105d , 83se , Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread