Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1369 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 292Likes

post #41041 of 41060 Old 09-26-2016, 10:00 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked: 1428
^ The problem may be that the lens positioning motor is wearing out so that it can no longer track the disc accurately. That would require replacing the loader.

If you are not in the US, have you reached out to your local OPPO distributor about out-of-warranty service?
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #41042 of 41060 Old 09-26-2016, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ The problem may be that the lens positioning motor is wearing out so that it can no longer track the disc accurately. That would require replacing the loader?
--Bob
Oppo U.S. has told me that they do not have a spare replacement loader. Can the motor be repaired or maybe some grease could help?

The motor does make quite a loud grinding noise every time any disc is inserted or ejected. Sometimes, specifically while reading a Blu-ray disc on insertion after the player has run for about a couple of hours, it makes a loud stuttering sound like a tommy gun for about 30-45 seconds while trying to read the disc and then shows unknown/wrong disc. I have no issues with reading DVD or SACDs which work perfectly no matter how long the player is running(except for the motor making a noise while inserting/ejecting). Therefore there seems to be a possibility of the Blu-Ray lens having issues either from faulty lens or the inaccurate motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ If you are not in the US, have you reached out to your local OPPO distributor about out-of-warranty service?
--Bob
The local distributor has informed me that there are no replaceable parts available with them as they started their distribution much after the BDP 83 was discontinued and like most electronic parts it is more economical to replace rather than repair the parts. He has suggested that if possible I buy a replacement lens module if a spare is available online.
post #41043 of 41060 Old 09-27-2016, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Here's something new that's been happening with my BDP-83 (amidst the drawer refusing to close or opening and closing on its own)...

When I turn the player on -- over the past couple of nights -- the drawer wants to open right upon startup, forcing it to crash into the glass door of the entertainment center it sits in. Of course, this causes the drawer to fly right back in, but then I have the open/close issue once I'm ready to load a disc...

5.1: ONKYO TX-SR605B - oppo BDP-83 - SONY KDS-50A2020 SXRD
Mains: polkaudio RTi12 - Center: polkaudio CSi30 - Surrounds: SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling - Sub: polkaudio PSW350 - Auralex Acoustics SubDude - MONSTER PowerCenter HT700
2-CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL PROFESSIONAL - Numark CDMIX 1 PROFESSIONAL
Infinity BY HARMAN PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120-USB PROFESSIONAL -
Bell'O AT423T Audio Tower
post #41044 of 41060 Old 09-27-2016, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 183
You clearly have the loader problem that has plagued some 83 players. Oppo has fixed many (maybe all) of these here in the U.S for free but if you are not in the U.S. that is probably of no help to you. I seem to remember someone posting somewhere in these threads that they had found a place to buy a loader that was a direct replacement for the Oppo's (and that it was fairly inexpensive) but I am not sure which models these applied to. Possibly a call to Oppo in the U.S. might provide you some info as to where you might find the parts so you can do the repair yourself. There have also been postings in these threads about how to clean the laser and lubricate the loader parts, which may help. Sorry I can't give you specific messages. Maybe someone else can.

post #41045 of 41060 Old 09-27-2016, 08:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked: 687
I think the 83 is approaching a place in its lifespan where the best option for DIY repairs is to buy a player off eBay and frankenstein 2 players into one.
post #41046 of 41060 Old 09-27-2016, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
You clearly have the loader problem that has plagued some 83 players. Oppo has fixed many (maybe all) of these here in the U.S for free but if you are not in the U.S. that is probably of no help to you. I seem to remember someone posting somewhere in these threads that they had found a place to buy a loader that was a direct replacement for the Oppo's (and that it was fairly inexpensive) but I am not sure which models these applied to. Possibly a call to Oppo in the U.S. might provide you some info as to where you might find the parts so you can do the repair yourself. There have also been postings in these threads about how to clean the laser and lubricate the loader parts, which may help. Sorry I can't give you specific messages. Maybe someone else can.
Thanks for your feedback, Jazz; indeed, I am in the U.S. and close to OPPO's headquarters, so that's not a problem...I suppose it's the loader issue, as you've described...

The dilemma for me is that I don't want to buy another Blu-ray player with OPPO's 4K deck supposedly around the corner (end of this year?) -- I'd have it repaired, but I'm kinda waiting for it to really "die" before I send it into them.

Oh, and also -- with regard to your comment about OPPO fixing most of these "for free"...you mean aside from the $79 or whatever it is for the out-of-warranty charge?

Mains: polkaudio RTi12 - Center: polkaudio CSi30 - Surrounds: SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling - Sub: polkaudio PSW350 - Auralex Acoustics SubDude - MONSTER PowerCenter HT700
2-CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL PROFESSIONAL - Numark CDMIX 1 PROFESSIONAL

Last edited by IntelliVolume; 09-27-2016 at 08:54 PM.
post #41047 of 41060 Old 09-27-2016, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Thanks for your feedback, Jazz; indeed, I am in the U.S. and close to OPPO's headquarters, so that's not a problem...I suppose it's the loader issue, as you've described...

The dilemma for me is that I don't want to buy another Blu-ray player with OPPO's 4K deck supposedly around the corner (end of this year?) -- I'd have it repaired, but I'm kinda waiting for it to really "die" before I send it into them.

Oh, and also -- with regard to your comment about OPPO fixing most of these "for free"...you mean aside from the $79 or whatever it is for the out-of-warranty charge?
You may have waited too late. From a post earlier this week the out of country person said that Oppo US doesn't have anymore loaders..

Free is free other than the cost to send it to them. They even paid to return ship it to me..

Edit: see post 41042 above
post #41048 of 41060 Old Yesterday, 01:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just Lubricated the loader rails and the motor that moves the lens to and fro. The player is now dead silent. I have to be 2 inches close to the player to hear a sound. But previously mentioned Disc reading problem still persists.
AVfile likes this.
post #41049 of 41060 Old Yesterday, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No. I meant really free with no charge at all, except whatever it would cost you to get the player to Oppo. Oppo acknowledged that a number of the loaders that were used on a run of 83 series players were subject to failure and didn't really meet their standards. Any player that had those loaders was fixed for free, even when out of warranty for years. No $79 charge at all.

BTW, Oppo is known for quickly turning around their repairs. If you live near their headquarters you could probably drop it off early in the morning and pick it up late that afternoon.

post #41050 of 41060 Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
No. I meant really free with no charge at all, except whatever it would cost you to get the player to Oppo. Oppo acknowledged that a number of the loaders that were used on a run of 83 series players were subject to failure and didn't really meet their standards. Any player that had those loaders was fixed for free, even when out of warranty for years. No $79 charge at all.

BTW, Oppo is known for quickly turning around their repairs. If you live near their headquarters you could probably drop it off early in the morning and pick it up late that afternoon.
Yep. I live about an hour's drive away, drove down there, dropped mine off, had a call by the time I got back home that it was ready... They also did some other work while the box was open... no charge. I will absolutely buy only Oppo players as long as they're making them...

That's what Bilbo Baggins hates!
post #41051 of 41060 Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:

I had my 83 repaired at no charge by Oppo 6 months ago (March 2016). They also replaced the power supply at no charge while they had it-I didnt even know it was an issue.

I believe the poster that could not get a loader is not in the USand that country's distributor/repair facility did not have any.
post #41052 of 41060 Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know; there seems to be some contradictory statements with regard to what OPPO would charge or if they would charge at all for this...as well as the concern, now, that the loader may not even be able to be fixed...

I suppose I'll have to get in touch with them directly; some questions I wanted to ask them about their 4K player anyway.

2-CHANNEL:
post #41053 of 41060 Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

$79 is the most you will ever pay for Oppo repairs plus shipping to Oppo. If you live reasonably near their headquarters, you can deliver the player to them in person. If your particular problem is with one of the problematical loaders you can expect the repair to be free. They seem to have never taken more than one day to fix a player so your player won't be out of service for long. As one poster said, if you live near Oppo's office, you can expect same-day service in almost all cases.

post #41054 of 41060 Old Yesterday, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Jazz; let me clarify what I meant by "I live near their headquarters"...what I meant was that I live in a neighboring state -- so I couldn't just drop the player off.

So $79 is the most I'd have to pay is what you're saying, yes? Because I recall them telling me that it would be more than that -- let me see if I can dig up the emails...

EDIT: Here's one:

No Disc and Unknown Disc errors can be caused by the laser head being dirty or otherwise obstructed, or are due to the laser head wearing down. You can try to open the player and clean the laser head directly with a cotton swab and alcohol, but it is not guarantee that this will resolve your issues.

For the tray eject this will require a change in some hardware components to fix. We can offer to repair the tray free of charge, but if we need to replace the loader, we will have to charge you for the repair.

ADDENDUM: My apologies for wrinkling AVfile's feathers; I will contact OPPO directly regarding the issues. Thanks again, Jazz.

2-CHANNEL:

Last edited by IntelliVolume; Yesterday at 08:29 PM.
post #41055 of 41060 Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Round and round this thread goes... it feels like déjà vu.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #41056 of 41060 Old Today, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For the tray eject this will require a change in some hardware components to fix. We can offer to repair the tray free of charge, but if we need to replace the loader, we will have to charge you for the repair.
Yes, they said they would have to charge you but they didn't say how much. All (I repeat all) Oppo repairs are done at the fixed price of $79, no matter how extensive.

post #41057 of 41060 Old Today, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, they said they would have to charge you but they didn't say how much. All (I repeat all) Oppo repairs are done at the fixed price of $79, no matter how extensive.
Okay; but what was getting confusing was that there were some mentions of "completely free" being tossed around, so I didn't know which it was. Either way, I'll have to get with them. Just wanted to share my experience of the drawer opening upon startup now (as this is a new symptom to my particular '83).

2-CHANNEL:
post #41058 of 41060 Old Today, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Okay; but what was getting confusing was that there were some mentions of "completely free" being tossed around, so I didn't know which it was. Either way, I'll have to get with them. Just wanted to share my experience of the drawer opening upon startup now (as this is a new symptom to my particular '83).
Sheesh. I don't know how to make this clearer. If the problem is caused by one of the defective loaders, Oppo will fix it for free. If the cause is some other problem, it will cost you $79. Until Oppo actually has their hands on your player they won't be able to tell which issue is causing your problem. I think a maximum $79 fix is a bargain for a 6-year-old player. If it were some other manufacturer they would either laugh at you or tell you 'tough luck, we don't fix players that old'. You also would be unable to find a shop that could fix it. It's because Oppo stands behind their players like this that people love them. If you don't appreciate this, I don't know what else to tell you.

post #41059 of 41060 Old Today, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sheesh. I don't know how to make this clearer. If the problem is caused by one of the defective loaders, Oppo will fix it for free. If the cause is some other problem, it will cost you $79. Until Oppo actually has their hands on your player they won't be able to tell which issue is causing your problem. I think a maximum $79 fix is a bargain for a 6-year-old player. If it were some other manufacturer they would either laugh at you or tell you 'tough luck, we don't fix players that old'. You also would be unable to find a shop that could fix it. It's because Oppo stands behind their players like this that people love them. If you don't appreciate this, I don't know what else to tell you.
Yes, I get it -- I'm not saying it's NOT a bargain, nor am I saying I "must have this player fixed for no money!!" That wasn't my point. Originally, my intention was to come into the dedicated thread for this model Blu-ray player and contribute to the discussion -- that appeared to be encompassing other folks' reports of malfunctions -- with reports regarding what I've been experiencing over the past couple of evenings (the tray wanting to open upon startup). For some reason, whenever I begin talking about problems with my BDP-83 here, I seem to send everyone into a proverbial tizzy just because I didn't yet send the player back to OPPO or ask questions about repair price (only because someone initially begins the price-themed conversation that I respond to); this is evidenced by your loss of patience in the aforementioned statement, and it was not my intention to set everyone off like this. I was merely attempting to share the details regarding this new symptom and to see if any other owners have experienced it.

I will contact OPPO directly if this continues (it didn't happen last night when I watched an episode from my Star Trek: The Original Series DVD box set and the second half of the Captain America: Civil War Blu-ray). My apologies for wasting your time; I did appreciate all your feedback, whether that's believed or not.

2-CHANNEL:
post #41060 of 41060 Old Today, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 333
I've mentioned fixing it several times....

I bet this is the 3rd time you've asked and I've responded with the "send it in and they fix it free" reply.

Remember the Nike commercial?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
105d , 83se , Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread