Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1374 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 345Likes

post #41191 of 41197 Old 02-08-2017, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch57 View Post
Has anyone replaced their Oppo BDP-83 pickup laser assembly themselves? I know I can send it into Oppo and they will do it for me for probably under 100 bucks including shipping. However, because I'm on the fence waiting for Oppo to fix all the bugs in the new UPD-203 I thought I would attempt the repairs myself. I can get a new laser pickup assembly for under 50 bucks so I'm thinking about giving it a shot.

My 83 still plays Blu-ray disks flawlessly but stutters/stops/chokes on DVD-Audio/DVDs/CDs/SACDs. Especially about half way to 3/4s of the way through the disks. I can usually play the first several titles/tracks without issue before it starts freezing up.

As per Oppo's instructions I've already cleaned the lasers but it didn't solve the problem. That's when Oppo suggested I create an RMA and send it back to them for repair. That's where I'm at now, sitting on the fence debating.

I really don't want to spend 100 bucks on a player that's going to be replaced fairly soon anyway. But it would probably be worth it for less than 50 bucks. I've heard of others replacing the laser pickup assembly on their own but I haven't seen any instructions for doing so. I can't imagine it being that difficult. However, if there's soldering involved that might be a problem since I don't have the soldering tools or skill set required for that.

If anyone's attempted this or has instructions please drop me a line and let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Mitch

A couple of things, Mitch:

1. Are you getting the assembly from Oppo? if not, then you need to make sure it's the right one to use.
  2. The way I've heard it, it's 79 to fix it, so it would be 29 more than doing it yourself.

For me and my 83, which I use for music, it would be a REAL drag not to have DVD-A, etc. functional, I'd spend the extra to have peace of mind.

If you keep it, then you're good for a long while with an excellent way to play all sorts of music. If you sell it, you can still get twice to three times profit on the 83 for what you'd pay to fix it, so you're good there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #41192 of 41197 Old 02-08-2017, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
A couple of things, Mitch:

1. Are you getting the assembly from Oppo? if not, then you need to make sure it's the right one to use.
  2. The way I've heard it, it's 79 to fix it, so it would be 29 more than doing it yourself.

For me and my 83, which I use for music, it would be a REAL drag not to have DVD-A, etc. functional, I'd spend the extra to have peace of mind.

If you keep it, then you're good for a long while with an excellent way to play all sorts of music. If you sell it, you can still get twice to three times profit on the 83 for what you'd pay to fix it, so you're good there.
I am not getting the part directly from Oppo.

79 bucks plus the shipping cost for me to send it to them. So it would be closer to 50 or 60 bucks more.

Yes, I too listen to a multitude of music. I have over 400 DVD-A/SACD disks. I'm really missing it. I probably should break out my trusty Oppo DV-980H so I can listen to some more of my music.
post #41193 of 41197 Old 02-10-2017, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Noticed owners of the Oppo 203 saying source direct gives them the best picture. Wonder if source direct on the 83 would also do the same thing?

Matt

post #41194 of 41197 Old 02-10-2017, 07:40 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2692 Post(s)
Liked: 1921
This is the internet. People say all sorts of things.

Try it: let your eyes be your guide.

If I can't see a difference when using test patterns, I tend not to look for it in real material.

-Bill
mattg3 likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #41195 of 41197 Old 02-12-2017, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Noticed owners of the Oppo 203 saying source direct gives them the best picture. Wonder if source direct on the 83 would also do the same thing?

People generally run source direct in any player because it defeats picture controls that are not needed when watching quality blu-ray transfers. It is simply a purist approach.
mattg3 likes this.

"This one goes to eleven." Martin Logan Descent-i subwoofer
post #41196 of 41197 Old Today, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My BDP-83 has been humming along nicely (thankfully) But, there is a REALLY nice Blu-ray set coming out from Arrow (UK) soon and I'm in the U.S. I'm pretty sure that you can still get the hardware hack to make it Blu-ray Region Free, but in a thread back several years ago, there was also a Software hack for Blu-ray (I already have the one for DVD) But, that link does not work anymore.

Is there ANY chance at all of locating that software hack anywhere, because I would LOVE to try it! It just bugs me that there indeed WAS a software hack at one time but I cannot seem to find it. Does ANYONE by any chance know where this can be found?

Thank you all so much!
post #41197 of 41197 Old Today, 03:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Imo this is the best one and it's universal remote friendly so you can make a macro to change regions quickly.

http://bluraychip.dk/product.php?id_product=10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
105d , 83se , Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread