Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 1376 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 353Likes

post #41251 of 41267 Old 09-05-2017, 01:40 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3685 Post(s)
Liked: 4807
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer View Post
I have a BDP83, bought when they first came out, and last evening while watching a Blu Ray the video froze and stumbled. Tried to reset player and used different Blu Ray discs and the video would freeze and stumble and eventually stop.

I am able to play DVDs, CDs, SACDs and DVD-Audio without any problems. Once I go to play a Blu Ray I incur freezes.

Any help with resolving this problem would be appreciated. I also requested support from OPPO regarding this issue.
There are 2 lasers in the optical drive. The blue laser reads Blu-ray discs. The red laser reads the other types of discs. Sounds like you've got a problem with your blue laser.

The USUAL problem would simply be that the laser lens needs cleaning. OPPO can give you instructions for doing that yourself, or if you send the player in for flat rate service, they'll include cleaning it, as well as checking for proper operation afterwards.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #41252 of 41267 Old 09-05-2017, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2446 Post(s)
Liked: 1762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan944 View Post
I bought a new BD of La La Land. It wouldn't load/play on my 83. I contacted Oppo and they recommended letting it sit for at least 8 minutes, and luckily it worked and it plays. But they also told me that if that recommendation doesn't work, it's because of new Java versions and there is no new firmware development on the 83.

This is concerning that Oppo doesn't provide longer support for their players. They products are well made and will last longer than cheap gear, therefore longer support should be provided. I believe the 93, the successor to the 83 was released in January of 2012. That makes the 83 only 5 1/2 years old.
Oppo DOES support the player. But firmware development comes from Mediatek, and Oppo has no control over that. The VRS processor is also a dead duck. If you need anything else for the player, or a repair, its fully supported as always.
post #41253 of 41267 Old 09-05-2017, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
There are 2 lasers in the optical drive. The blue laser reads Blu-ray discs. The red laser reads the other types of discs. Sounds like you've got a problem with your blue laser.

The USUAL problem would simply be that the laser lens needs cleaning. OPPO can give you instructions for doing that yourself, or if you send the player in for flat rate service, they'll include cleaning it, as well as checking for proper operation afterwards.
--Bob
Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully the blue laser only needs a cleaning.

post #41254 of 41267 Old 09-05-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully the blue laser only needs a cleaning.
If you're opening it up to clean, be aware its a single Optical Power Unit, sort of a sandwich with both lasers in it. Clean everything, including the 2 rails that the whole unit rides on.
post #41255 of 41267 Old 09-06-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
If you're opening it up to clean, be aware its a single Optical Power Unit, sort of a sandwich with both lasers in it. Clean everything, including the 2 rails that the whole unit rides on.
I did as you said as well as the information I received from OPPO and it worked for while, than about 20 minutes later it started acting up again whereby it would freeze and stutter and eventually freeze and stop. I tried this a couple of times and the same thing keeps happening. No problems with other media, only with Blu Ray discs. Seems odd it would work for awhile and than act up again. I don't see any dirt on the laser lenses, rails or the rubber spindle.

Waiting to hear back from OPPO as to what else can be done.
post #41256 of 41267 Old 09-06-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:

--Bob
I did as you said as well as the information I received from OPPO and it worked for while, than about 20 minutes later it started acting up again whereby it would freeze and stutter and eventually freeze and stop. I tried this a couple of times and the same thing keeps happening. No problems with other media, only with Blu Ray discs. Seems odd it would work for awhile and than act up again. I don't see any dirt on the laser lenses, rails or the rubber spindle.

post #41257 of 41267 Old 09-06-2017, 02:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3685 Post(s)
Liked: 4807
^ Odds are you will need to send in the player for service. OPPO offers reasonably priced, flat rate service for players out of Warranty. They'll get you going again.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #41258 of 41267 Old 09-06-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
^ Odds are you will need to send in the player for service. OPPO offers reasonably priced, flat rate service for players out of Warranty. They'll get you going again.
--Bob
Thanks.

Probably will do that if nothing else can be done by me. This player still works great except for this hiccup and I don't think there is a better player out there that compares to this.
post #41259 of 41267 Old 09-06-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:

Those 2 rails do need to be lubricated. I think they originally come with a tiny bit of white grease on them. I've read of people resurrecting failing optical drives by cleaning/lubing them.

Sounds like whatever is failing there is doing it when it gets warm.
post #41260 of 41267 Old 09-06-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Those 2 rails do need to be lubricated. I think they originally come with a tiny bit of white grease on them. I've read of people resurrecting failing optical drives by cleaning/lubing them.

Sounds like whatever is failing there is doing it when it gets warm.
You have a point about it failing when it gets warm. It runs fine for 10 to 15 minutes, than starts to act up. What kind of lube would you use on the rails?
post #41261 of 41267 Old 09-06-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
You have a point about it failing when it gets warm. It runs fine for 10 to 15 minutes, than starts to act up. What kind of lube would you use on the rails?
Look closely, there may still be some on there you can spread around. I think very scant amounts of white grease if you have it. At this point how much harm can you do?
post #41262 of 41267 Old 09-07-2017, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Look closely, there may still be some on there you can spread around. I think very scant amounts of white grease if you have it. At this point how much harm can you do?
These also have an issue with the loaders failing at some point. I sent mine in, they replaced the loader with a new one ,and had it back to me in Florida in about a week for 79.00 Great service.
post #41263 of 41267 Old 09-07-2017, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does anyone know if the HDCP 2.2 fix is likely to get an official firmware release?
post #41264 of 41267 Old 09-07-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason One View Post
Does anyone know if the HDCP 2.2 fix is likely to get an official firmware release?
Its only offered to those who ask for it. Not every setup has the issue.
post #41265 of 41267 Old 09-16-2017, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Lithium Grease. I seen it at Lowes in a squeeze tube. Great stuff to have around.

(LCD - Sony KDL -52 XBR4) (Receiver - Yamaha RX-A1040)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Comcast X1) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #41266 of 41267 Old 09-16-2017, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Having worked on DVD players in the past, I would recommend a lube specific for the purpose like Molykote EM-30L which you can buy on ebay for a few bucks. But if the player is doing OK with CDs DVDs etc and only failing with blu-ray discs, it's probably sliding fine. I would certainly suspect the optical block. Sounds to me like the blu-ray laser is failing. A trip to Oppo is likely needed.
post #41267 of 41267 Old 09-16-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_in_tx View Post
Having worked on DVD players in the past, I would recommend a lube specific for the purpose like Molykote EM-30L which you can buy on ebay for a few bucks. But if the player is doing OK with CDs DVDs etc and only failing with blu-ray discs, it's probably sliding fine. I would certainly suspect the optical block. Sounds to me like the blu-ray laser is failing. A trip to Oppo is likely needed.
I tried everything to fix the issue but couldn't get it to work Sent to OPPO and they replaced the Optical Unit. I am scheduled to get the unit back next week. Hopefully no further issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
105d , 83se , Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page