Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 151 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #4501 of 39351 Old 03-23-2009, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAC21 View Post

Thank you....sounds like it will be an incredible machine. I signed up for updates a couple of months back for this unit....and surprisingly was offered the EAP program. Unfortunately it just wasn't in the budget at the time nor a A/V set up worthy of it's presence.

By all accounts up to date, it will be.

You can see the Preliminary Features & Specs on Oppo's website.

Read the first page of this thread, it contains a lot of information including links to some very good reviews.

Answers to most questions can be found on Bill McClain's excellent Unofficial OPPO BDP-83 FAQ

You can also download the OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player User Manual (preliminary version)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 39351 Old 03-23-2009, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

5pm is Miller Time and I took a minute to hook up this EAP300 unit to a monitor:

Main Version: BDP83-16-032
Loader Version: BE2100 85752100
Sub Version: MCU83-19-0122

Won't really be done working for an hour or two, so actually watching something will wait until later tonite.

New firmware.

Original 50 EAP firmware:

Quote:

Main Version: BDP83-12-0224
Loader Version: BE2100 85752100
Sub Version: MCU83-19-0122

Loader version and sub version hasn't changed.

Display: Pioneer PRO-151 60" Elite
Blu-ray player: OPPO BDP-93, Sony BDP-S1000ES
HD DVD player: Toshiba HD-XA2(2)
Processor: Onkyo PR-SC885
Amplifier: Emotiva IPS-1 150Wx7
Game Console: Xbox 360, PS3
Speakers: Mythos ST(Fronts), Mythos Ten(Center), Mythos One(Rears)

post #4503 of 39351 Old 03-23-2009, 05:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

Wmcclain...Much obliged for the BDP-83 Frequently Asked Questions compilation... Very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrollens View Post

+1

I too would like to take the opportunity to publicly thank Bill for going to the extent he has gone to with his FAQ. There is lots of time and effort poured into it, and it shows in a good way. Thanks Bill!
...and thank you to all of the other Beta Testers that have gone the extra mile to help make this player as awesome as it.
I don't really have to mention names... you know who you all are.
...and Neuromancer does a fanatastic job leading these threads.
Thank you to you all! It's been a wonderful experience working with you on this project [/single_tear_drop].

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #4504 of 39351 Old 03-23-2009, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post

I'm just disappointed that it seems like none of the beta or EAP folks happen to be using a Z11 so I could get some feedback on whether the problem I have with the 983 and my Z11 persist with the 83.

The BDP-83 uses a Silicon Image SiI9134 HDMI transmitter (it can be seen in the internal pics that were posted recently). Does anyone know if that is different from the DV-983? (note that the HDMI interface is not in the ABT chip, so it doesn't matter that they have that in common).

You would think that the SiI9134 transmitter would cooperate with the SiI9135 receiver in the Z11, but the Z11 is a strange beast and there's a Yamaha designed FPGA sitting between the HDMI input and output. So someone's going to have to test it to be sure.
post #4505 of 39351 Old 03-23-2009, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrumc View Post

Gosh, should I worry about my measly RX-V663

I wouldn't think you need to worry about the 663 since the 3800 had no problems with the DV-983 (the Z11 is different).
post #4506 of 39351 Old 03-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
The only thing this player is missing is a wi-fi connection. Has there been any word about a possible inclusion before this player is released?
post #4507 of 39351 Old 03-23-2009, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Would require a hardware respin. So no built in Wi-Fi support.
post #4508 of 39351 Old 03-23-2009, 06:57 PM

Greetings fellow BDPers
Got into EAP2, would be getting my unit soon. Have been visiting the thread off and on.
I use to visit the sony store and be really mesmerized by the picture quality of their BD players, after reading all the posts here, I am anticipating that the BDP 83 would meet and certainly beat that expectation.

I am also waiting in anticipation to treat myself to some SACD disc playback with the player.

Fellow forum mates, is there a significant difference w.r.t soaking the audio pleasure between a regular CD play, vs the SACD ones, in such a player?
Thanks
Mat
post #4509 of 39351 Old 03-23-2009, 07:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOPain View Post

Fellow forum mates, is there a significant difference w.r.t soaking the audio pleasure between a regular CD play, vs the SACD ones, in such a player?

Yes. Not the least of which is multichannel.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #4510 of 39351 Old 03-23-2009, 07:12 PM

Thanks Kal,
I have Denon 3808CI, and Paradigm Millenia 200 setup on a 1080p Sony SRXD, I dont really care if the BD player has 7.1 analogue out (or for that matter spouts multichannel), as my receiver would do that, but I definitely care if the SACD playback of Dark side of the moon in SACD, makes me get out of my office early.
And shakes my wife and kids to thrills of a movie theater....
Ah those great expectations again!!!!!!
post #4511 of 39351 Old 03-23-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Yes, BUT, the pj is still not taking advange of all of the resolution possible. To get the BEST pic possible out of any given constant image height setup, said user would have to incorperate an anamorphic lens.
As he did already state, he doesn't want to vest $2000 in a lens though... and neither do I. I use the zoom method currently in MY setup. I wish my pj had that type of function too. It sounds pretty cool.

As far as the BDP-83 being able to perform such a function, it is 100% impossible. Only a projector could make that type of function possible.
The -83 DOES however offer the proper scaling/stretch/zoom funtion to incorperate the CIH setups that do use an anamorphic lens.

I've done quite a bit of research on this particular feature and Mitsubishi seems to be the only company which offers it. It's on my projector, the 720p HD4000U, but not the newer 720p HC1600. I know it is also on the HC5500, one of their 1080p models.

I used to use the projector in the 16:9 mode on my older 16:9 screen. Since moving to the 2.35:1 screen, I have not noticed any deterioration in 16:9 material and only slight loss of PQ in 2.35:1 material. It is well worth the trade off in favoring 2.35:1 movies over 16:9 movies. Just feels more cinematic to me.
post #4512 of 39351 Old 03-23-2009, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
fun, new firmware! So, did "we" get DVD-A now?

Please, for the love of god, someone throw in Talking Head's DualDisc Brick and let me know that it plays OK. Honestly, after the 971 barfing on this disc, I worry about this player... Hell, if one of the beta testers wishes to PM me (any of you have this disc, and working DVD-A playback?) I promise not to tell 'till your FW is public...

post #4513 of 39351 Old 03-23-2009, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkshark View Post

fun, new firmware! So, did "we" get DVD-A now?

Please, for the love of god, someone throw in Talking Head's DualDisc Brick and let me know that it plays OK. Honestly, after the 971 barfing on this disc, I worry about this player... Hell, if one of the beta testers wishes to PM me (any of you have this disc, and working DVD-A playback?) I promise not to tell 'till your FW is public...

I don't have that disc, but I am also curious to see if any DVDAs do play on the EAP2 units .

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #4514 of 39351 Old 03-23-2009, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Kamakiriad DVD-A was a no go. Would appear to let me select the high res tracks in the menu, but in playback it always ended up being the lossy 5.1 mix. Tried both PCM ouput and bistream output settings to see if that mattered. Bitstream made it worse (louder but choppy).

SACD, on the other hand, is working well, tested with Shostakovich's Jazz Suites on NAXOS.

(Oppo is connected via HDMI at 1080p to an Onkyo 885.)

Unfortunately, I appear to only have one DVD-A and everything else is SACD, which we already know works fine.

Anyone know if Kamakiriad has a bad rep?

post #4515 of 39351 Old 03-23-2009, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
ah... well, being able to select the highres layer is I guess an improvement...

ya'll will keep me informed, consider it a "barred-from-the-EAP" gift... heh.

post #4516 of 39351 Old 03-23-2009, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Kamakiriad DVD-A was a no go. Would appear to let me select the high res tracks in the menu, but in playback it always ended up being the lossy 5.1 mix. Tried both PCM ouput and bistream output settings to see if that mattered. Bitstream made it worse (louder but choppy).

SACD, on the other hand, is working well, tested with Shostakovich's Jazz Suites on NAXOS.

Unfortunately, I appear to only have one DVD-A and everything else is SACD, which we already know works fine.

this has huge promise. I would be very happy if they enables something that always defaulted to the lossless audio track for BDs.
post #4517 of 39351 Old 03-23-2009, 08:48 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:

Nathan,
Thanks for your initial input about DVD Audio. How do you know that it is only putting out lossy 5.1 mix like you said.? Is there an indicator on your receiver or on the player? I have Donald Fagen's Nightfly on DVD Audio and I hope it will be able to play that. Thanks.

Matt

Matt
post #4518 of 39351 Old 03-23-2009, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

For DVD-Audio make sure that you are not setting HDMI to Bit Stream. Set this to LPCM. Setting the player to Bit Stream will cause a false DTS-HD Master signal lock (and horrible audio).

Second, DVD-Audio is working as a "proof of concept". That is, many discs, particularly those which use DVD-Audio Keys, will likely not work on the player at this time.
post #4519 of 39351 Old 03-23-2009, 08:52 PM

Picked up my EAP2 unit today and just finished watching my first Blu-Ray: Wall-E. Gotta say that the picture is as advertised, but the real surprise was the sound out of the 7.1 analog outputs. Brilliant clarity and separation. What a treat! Even though I'm only using 5.1, I was blown away by the atmosphere. Well done, both to the Pixar sounds designers and the engineers at Oppo.

Tomorrow I'll play with SD and maybe some divx and xvid sources, from USB and burned media. Time to put this puppy through it's paces and see what it'll do!

Betas and EAPers... now I know what you were on about. I hope Oppo releases this thing soon so everyone else can enjoy this experience.
post #4520 of 39351 Old 03-23-2009, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdanderson View Post

Nathan,
Thanks for your initial input about DVD Audio. How do you know that it is only putting out lossy 5.1 mix like you said.? Is there an indicator on your receiver or on the player? I have Donald Fagen's Nightfly on DVD Audio and I hope it will be able to play that. Thanks.

Matt

Well, I know for sure that choosing the stereo high res track still gave me a surround track.... and looking at the sample rate reading on the Onkyo display it said 96khz, which is what the lossy DTS 5.1 track is at, but not the lossless high res track (24/48).

The good news is that this feature request:

"SACD Layer change support with the Audio button."

is working correctly with SACD. Yeah!

--

Just found another DVD-A in the collection. Bowie's "Stage" album. Alas, this time though it did say "DVD-A" when I put the disc in the player, I couldn't even get to the main menu or play the lossy soundtrack, let along the lossless one.

--

I'll confirm Neuromancer's setup instructions once I reboot the player. "Stage" hosed it. Luckily it only requires a soft boot (power button) and not a hard boot (power cord).

post #4521 of 39351 Old 03-23-2009, 08:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver View Post

I would be very happy if they enables something that always defaulted to the lossless audio track for BDs.

BD disc software determines this, not the player.
post #4522 of 39351 Old 03-23-2009, 09:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Just found another DVD-A in the collection. Bowie's "Stage" album. Alas, this time though it did say "DVD-A" when I put the disc in the player, I couldn't even get to the main menu or play the lossy soundtrack, let along the lossless one.

At this time, encrypted DVD-A discs will likely not play at all, or will not go past the menu. Non-encrypted DVD-A is working fine here as long as HDMI is set to LPCM. Oppo expects to have the encryption issue worked out soon.
post #4523 of 39351 Old 03-23-2009, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

For DVD-Audio make sure that you are not setting HDMI to Bit Stream. Set this to LPCM. Setting the player to Bit Stream will cause a false DTS-HD Master signal lock (and horrible audio).

Before seeing this I tried it both ways and am glad I didn't get the noise you are talking about ... probably because I couldn't get the high res tracks.

Quote:

Second, DVD-Audio is working as a "proof of concept". That is, many discs, particularly those which use DVD-Audio Keys, will likely not work on the player at this time.

Perhaps both of the DVD-A's I tried need a key.

I found I have one homemade DVD-A, of the Parsons' mix of Dark Side, and I'll see if that works. Surely that one wouldn't need a key.

post #4524 of 39351 Old 03-23-2009, 09:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Also, I'll confirm that the audio button on the remote now works for switching from stereo to M-ch audio on SACD. In order to switch to/from the CDDA layer, you have to eject the disc and make the change in setup.

Also a caution: if you start flipping back and forth between 2-ch and M-ch SACD a bunch of times, things can get a little wonky. If so, eject the disc and start over.
post #4525 of 39351 Old 03-23-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:

Well, I know for sure that choosing the stereo high res track still gave me a surround track.... and looking at the sample rate reading on the Onkyo display it said 96khz, which is what the lossy DTS 5.1 track is at, but not the lossless high res track (24/48).

The good news is that this feature request:

"SACD Layer change support with the Audio button."

is working correctly with SACD. Yeah!

--

--

I'll confirm Neuromancer's setup instructions once I reboot the player. "Stage" hosed it. Luckily it only requires a soft boot (power button) and not a hard boot (power cord).

Thanks Nathan.

Matt
post #4526 of 39351 Old 03-23-2009, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Update: The lossless "MLP" track on the "homemade" Dark Side DVD-A plays back correctly at 96khz in glorious 4.1 (sic). Of course, I don't know if thing is mastered like a proper DVD-A, but I think it is, minus any sort of "key" requirement. The .1 bit is annoying, and there is a pause between each track. But I know the former is someone's idea of a good update to the source material, and the latter may be dodgy mastering rather than an problem with the Oppo.

Can anyone recommend a single DVD-A commercially availalable that does NOT have the "key" limitation? If I can find it locally, I'll pick it up and try it.

---
But now I'm going radio-silent for a while to listen to some music and watch some video. If I'm not back by this time tomorrow, please send someone after me.

post #4527 of 39351 Old 03-23-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:

Update: The lossless "MLP" track on the "homemade" Dark Side DVD-A plays back correctly at 96khz in glorious 4.1 (sic). Of course, I don't know if thing is mastered like a proper DVD-A, but I think it is, minus any sort of "key" requirement. The .1 bit is annoying, and there is a pause between each track. But I know the former is someone's idea of a good update to the source material, and the latter may be dodgy mastering rather than an problem with the Oppo.

Can anyone recommend a single DVD-A commercially availalable that does NOT have the "key" limitation? If I can find it locally, I'll pick it up and try it.

---
But now I'm going radio-silent for a while to listen to some music and watch some video. If I'm not back by this time tomorrow, please send someone after me.

What is the "key" limitation you are talking about? Have a good night in your listening and viewing.

Matt
post #4528 of 39351 Old 03-23-2009, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdanderson View Post

What is the "key" limitation you are talking about? Have a good night in your listening and viewing.

Apparently most (all?) commercial DVD-A's are encrypted or require some kind of key to play. So while the single home-made DVD-A I have access to appears to play fine, the two commercial releases I own won't play.

---

Watched a PAL (region=0) DVD of an old Fritz Lang movie tonight and was impressed with what the Oppo could wring from such a middling source.

post #4529 of 39351 Old 03-23-2009, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Key = Encryption. If you can't decode the Key, you can't playback the high resolution audio. Think HDCP for audio discs.

Not all DVD-Audio discs you commercially purchase will have a Key. For example, Beatles Love lacks the encryption Key.
post #4530 of 39351 Old 03-24-2009, 12:17 AM

Picked up my BDP-83 in Mountain View today. Set up was a breeze. Watched a few hours, played with settings. I'm using the analog outs b/c my pre-amp doesn't support audio over HDMI. Took a while to get audio sync on, and I'm still not completely satisfied. I always find myself going back and forth for hours and hours. I noticed some audio crackling when playing around with some 96kHz PCM tracks. I'll have to isolate it when I have more time. Experimented with the video demo/setup disc. The Oppo decoded some tests much better than my 8G Pioneer. The difference was somewhat startling. I wasn't expecting the Pioneer to choke so badly. I'm sure adjusting the correct knobs will make it behave (if they need adjusted at all -- the Oppo looks pretty darn good with out of the box settings).

Can't wait to experiment some more.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page