Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 152 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #4531 of 39505 Old 03-24-2009, 03:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

For DVD-Audio make sure that you are not setting HDMI to Bit Stream. Set this to LPCM. Setting the player to Bit Stream will cause a false DTS-HD Master signal lock (and horrible audio).

I hope this is changed in a future firmware. I'd hate to have to change settings from bitstream to LPCM every time I play a DVD-A disc. My current Oppo 981HD plays the DVD Audio layer automatically when HDMI is set to RAW(Bitstream).

"To Live Outside The Law You Must Be Honest"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4532 of 39505 Old 03-24-2009, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As for the DVD-Audio keys, I've got 13 commercial discs and one home-brewed (that Parsons 4.1 DSotM disc). Of the group, only three refused to play for me. Those refused pretty adamantly, mind you, but the other ten behaved just as they have on the other five DVD-Audio players I've used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbuick6 View Post

I hope this is changed in a future firmware. I'd hate to have to change settings from bitstream to LPCM every time I play a DVD-A disc. My current Oppo 981HD plays the DVD Audio layer automatically when HDMI is set to RAW(Bitstream).

It's on the "to fix" list - DVD-Audio is just getting up and running. They're just having to teach DVD-A how to co-exist with Blu-ray.

gonk
Beta tester:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4533 of 39505 Old 03-24-2009, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
OK, I just thought I'd post this for commentary, and to show how fortunate we are that Oppo handles things the way they do. In the LG 370/390 thread, someone posted about some issues concerning playback of AVC, mkv and other non-production-BD-title formats:

Quote:

I still think its a bit early to take this player back. It has some really nice features and I think with a few firmware upgrades will be great. We are just being picky..

This is a "fully-released in-the-wild available to the public at Best Buy" player. And yet folks are very tolerant of "bugs" and expect firmware updates. So yes, Oppo is being very cautious about their first BD player release, and the complete lack of bugs when available to the public will probably astound those folks that comprehend that implication, and will completely sail past everyone else.

I'm not knocking the LG - it seems to be a fairly stable BD player, and I'm not knocking the poster that made that comment. But remember, these LGs are their fourth(?) generation of BD players. I'm simply observing that the fits and starts that BD had in getting stable, reliable players to the public has conditioned the public to almost expect buggy players when first released. Which is too bad, IMHO. It could have been different.

Dang I look forward to buying an Oppo later this spring/summer.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #4534 of 39505 Old 03-24-2009, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Excellent post, shinksma. Many of us talk about "consumers as beta testers" for companies, and I dare say many of us at AVS have owned one or more components that put us in this role. The BDP-83 will see firmware updates after it is launched, but the magnitude of those should be minimal compared to some of the growing pains we've seen from Blu-ray hardware at times over the last couple years.

gonk
Beta tester:
/
post #4535 of 39505 Old 03-24-2009, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro524a View Post

The Oppo decoded some tests much better than my 8G Pioneer. The difference was somewhat startling. I wasn't expecting the Pioneer to choke so badly. I'm sure adjusting the correct knobs will make it behave (if they need adjusted at all -- the Oppo looks pretty darn good with out of the box settings).

Looking forward to hearing details about this. I have an 8G Elite display, too. I have always allowed it to do the heavy lifting, assuming that it would do a better job than what was feeding it (STB, DVR, PS3, 981).

My 83 won't arrive until Friday (yea, I chose standard shipping ), so any prep work you can do between now & then will be helpful.

-steve

"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #4536 of 39505 Old 03-24-2009, 05:51 AM

Gonk, Nathan, I'm curious about something. I know this is off-topic, so probably just a link to another thread is fine, but how are you burning home-brewed DVDA disks?

I record my own music on a Pro Tools rig, working on releasing my own projects on CD first, but I'm wanting to learn how to master for DVDA/SACD stuff in the near future.

BTW, this thread has been wonderful. I'm a newbie to the whole high-res commercial release thing, but I'm decidedly old-school as regards to high-fi. I still play LPs, and got my recording studio start on 1" RTR analog 24 track.

I'm looking forward to seeing how nicely the new Oppo player is going to play with the Outlaw 990, McIntosh MC2100 and Polk 7b's I just bought on eBay...

---Jeff
post #4537 of 39505 Old 03-24-2009, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansan Raider View Post

Gonk, Nathan, I'm curious about something. I know this is off-topic, so probably just a link to another thread is fine, but how are you burning home-brewed DVDA disks?

I record my own music on a Pro Tools rig, working on releasing my own projects on CD first, but I'm wanting to learn how to master for DVDA/SACD stuff in the near future.

BTW, this thread has been wonderful. I'm a newbie to the whole high-res commercial release thing, but I'm decidedly old-school as regards to high-fi. I still play LPs, and got my recording studio start on 1" RTR analog 24 track.

I'm looking forward to seeing how nicely the new Oppo player is going to play with the Outlaw 990, McIntosh MC2100 and Polk 7b's I just bought on eBay...

---Jeff

I am neither gonk nor nathan, but I suspect they have, um, acquired certain DVD-A disks via a certain downloading mechanism.

However, for your purposes, you might want to check out Discwelder (Bronze or higher) for producing your own DVD-As. And Protools is supposed to be a good mixing environment, but Cakewalk might be more affordable.

I've used neither, but have been eyeballing them for a while, since I too would like to explore the world of multichannel mixing of home studio recordings. Unfortunately, I know I simply don't have time for that. Which is too bad, because I'd like to hear how well they play on the BDP-83 and other Oppo players. (How's that for eventually winding up sort-of on-topic!)

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #4538 of 39505 Old 03-24-2009, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

I am neither gonk nor nathan, but I suspect they have, um, acquired certain DVD-A disks via a certain downloading mechanism.

Ahhhh... Roger that. I've availed myself of some services like that for backup purposes--well within the fair use clauses of copyright law.
Quote:

However, for your purposes, you might want to check out Discwelder (Bronze or higher) for producing your own DVD-As. And Protools is supposed to be a good mixing environment, but Cakewalk might be more affordable.

I have PT LE 6.4 with a Digi001 on Mac G4, so it's not all that expensive anymore, and I've held onto Cakewalk Express for a few years--it was free.
Quote:

I've used neither, but have been eyeballing them for a while, since I too would like to explore the world of multichannel mixing of home studio recordings. Unfortunately, I know I simply don't have time for that. Which is too bad, because I'd like to hear how well they play on the BDP-83 and other Oppo players. (How's that for eventually winding up sort-of on-topic!)

shinksma

I'm with ya' right there. I'm forcing my living room into double duty now as HT and a mixing/mastering environment. Yeah, I could've just done it like every other starving artist and used high-end headphones, but it's hard to master for surround sound in that environment.

It's gonna' be nice to have the BDP-83 as a reference point when I start my own mixes.

---Jeff
post #4539 of 39505 Old 03-24-2009, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mine is on the truck for delivery today.

I'm waiting for the additional piece of equipment that will allow me to use HDMI for sound with my Meridian processor. In the meantime I will have to connect the Oppo to the Meridian via analog using the DACs in the Oppo. I wasn't entirely sure from looking at the chart on page 55 of the Oppo manual if I will still get the full range of HD audio via analog.

BTW has anyone run out of the Oppo analog to test its DACs? (Sorry if this has been discussed in this thread but there is so much OT here it's a bit hard to sift through for the feedback from owners ) With my current BR player there are serious lipsync problems going out analog and I couldn't do any timing correction using analog. So I had given up on the HD audio formats (since my current player cannot do much in this regard via the coax out) until now with the Oppo where I will try again.

Thanks for any explanation.
post #4540 of 39505 Old 03-24-2009, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emannikcufesin View Post

The only thing this player is missing is a wi-fi connection. Has there been any word about a possible inclusion before this player is released?

It won't be included. It's a $30 3rd-party add-on device available to the minority who actually need/want it, and best left that way.

"Your" isn't the same as "you're". "There", "their" and "they're" are also not the same. Please learn the difference.

And...
. Thank you. :)
post #4541 of 39505 Old 03-24-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post

BTW has anyone run out of the Oppo analog to test its DACs? (Sorry if this has been discussed in this thread but there is so much OT here it's a bit hard to sift through for the feedback from owners ) With my current BR player there are serious lipsync problems going out analog and I couldn't do any timing correction using analog. So I had given up on the HD audio formats (since my current player cannot do much in this regard via the coax out) until now with the Oppo where I will try again.

Thanks for any explanation.

I'm using the analog outputs and I haven't noticed any lip sync issues. At least one other person has posted the same result. I'm sure it largely depends on your equipment and set-up, but that's what we have so far. There are no timing adjustments for analog in the Oppo, unfortunately, so if you do run into lip sync issues with the BDP-83 there isn't much of a solution (yet). Analog timing adjustments are on the "Feature Request" list on Neuromancer's first post of this topic.

Oh yeah, and the sound quality? Suh-weeeeeeeet.
post #4542 of 39505 Old 03-24-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

As for the DVD-Audio keys, I've got 13 commercial discs and one home-brewed (that Parsons 4.1 DSotM disc). Of the group, only three refused to play for me. Those refused pretty adamantly, mind you, but the other ten behaved just as they have on the other five DVD-Audio players I've used.

It's on the "to fix" list - DVD-Audio is just getting up and running. They're just having to teach DVD-A how to co-exist with Blu-ray.

Ok, Aside from gonk, how many DVD-Audio's do you Beta testers / EAPers have? Just wondering if there's enough out there to sufficiently test DVD-A...
post #4543 of 39505 Old 03-24-2009, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart23 View Post

Ok, Aside from gonk, how many DVD-Audio's do you Beta testers / EAPers have? Just wondering if there's enough out there to sufficiently test DVD-A...

There's not much to be testing. DVD-A is working but needs refinement. There will be setup options added soon, and the encryption bug will be fixed soon as well. I'm not sure there's anything to be gained right now by posting lists of discs that do or do not play, seeing as how this thread is already choking with OT posts. I tried a half dozen different DVD-A and they all played perfectly.

MLP file support on disc or USB is not yet working either.
post #4544 of 39505 Old 03-24-2009, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseGoth View Post

I'm using the analog outputs and I haven't noticed any lip sync issues. At least one other person has posted the same result. I'm sure it largely depends on your equipment and set-up, but that's what we have so far. There are no timing adjustments for analog in the Oppo, unfortunately, so if you do run into lip sync issues with the BDP-83 there isn't much of a solution (yet). Analog timing adjustments are on the "Feature Request" list on Neuromancer's first post of this topic.

Oh yeah, and the sound quality? Suh-weeeeeeeet.

Ok so I take it that you do get the full range of HD audio out of analog. I suppose the fact that analog timing adjustments are on the wish list indicates that someone has experienced lipsync probs. BTW which surround processor do you use with the Oppo? Thanks.
post #4545 of 39505 Old 03-24-2009, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
mmm.... finally, public and open discussion about DVD-A capabilities... I've only been waiting for this since 2008.

So, really, none of you Beta kids have Brick? Meh. Key or not, I need to know if DualDisc DVD-As barf.

Baby steps...

Read
!
post #4546 of 39505 Old 03-24-2009, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart23 View Post

I've got a few and would probably try a few more if DVD-A is enabled in the Oppo. I mostly have SACD or standard CD. I have to say, however, that currently I don't listen much to my SACD or DVD-As because I've gotten so lazy since I have a music server. The thought of having to get up and put a CD in to listen to it seems awful since I have my entire library at my fingertips via the remote interface on my music server.

EDIT: Gosh this thread is evolving too quickly for me to keep up! I just saw a lot of discussion in the last few pages that I had totally missed. DVD-A does seem to be enabled! Sorry guys. This thread is kind of crazy/active to keep up with!
post #4547 of 39505 Old 03-24-2009, 08:18 AM

Sharkshark - I have Brick and will give it a try this weekend if my 83 arrives Friday as scheduled.

JimS

Rough business this movie business. I may have to go back to loan sharking for a rest.
post #4548 of 39505 Old 03-24-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
why, thank you...

[by the way, only because it seems like YEARS that I've been bitching about Brick, I thought I'd do some digging...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ck#post6827453

Good times... And for those REALLY bored... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...482239&page=74

Visit to see Neuro before he wielded the full extent of his awesome Oppo power! (such a cute, young cub back then...)

And, yeah... years...sigh...]

Read
!
post #4549 of 39505 Old 03-24-2009, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro524a View Post

Picked up my BDP-83 in Mountain View today. Set up was a breeze. Watched a few hours, played with settings. I'm using the analog outs b/c my pre-amp doesn't support audio over HDMI. Took a while to get audio sync on, and I'm still not completely satisfied. I always find myself going back and forth for hours and hours. I noticed some audio crackling when playing around with some 96kHz PCM tracks. I'll have to isolate it when I have more time. Experimented with the video demo/setup disc. The Oppo decoded some tests much better than my 8G Pioneer. The difference was somewhat startling. I wasn't expecting the Pioneer to choke so badly. I'm sure adjusting the correct knobs will make it behave (if they need adjusted at all -- the Oppo looks pretty darn good with out of the box settings).

Can't wait to experiment some more.

How did you do audio sync via analog? thx
post #4550 of 39505 Old 03-24-2009, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sremick View Post

It won't be included. It's a $30 3rd-party add-on device available to the minority who actually need/want it, and best left that way.

+1.

Already have a wireless router in my rack, and one that is already set up with support of latest protocols and security. The idea of having a separate WiFi device in each of my sound/video boxes doesn't turn me on at all.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  
post #4551 of 39505 Old 03-24-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:

Ok so I take it that you do get the full range of HD audio out of analog. I suppose the fact that analog timing adjustments are on the wish list indicates that someone has experienced lipsync probs. BTW which surround processor do you use with the Oppo? Thanks.

I'm not using the full 7.1 (my Yamaha RX-V3300 only has 5.1 inputs), but the downmix from the HD track is quite sublime. Others may have more experience with 7.1 analog. I'm used to regular DTS or Dolby Digital, so I'm a little in awe of the sounds coming out of my system right now.

No one has yet reported in this forum that lip sync issues are occurring with analog... the feature request is more of a pro-active request under the assumption that some system out there may experience problems. And it's also a reaction to the HDMI audio timing adjustments that are available in the 83. A little "me too", if you will.
post #4552 of 39505 Old 03-24-2009, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not using the full 7.1 (my Yamaha RX-V3300 only has 5.1 inputs), but the downmix from the HD track is quite sublime. Others may have more experience with 7.1 analog. I'm used to regular DTS or Dolby Digital, so I'm a little in awe of the sounds coming out of my system right now.

No one has yet reported in this forum that lip sync issues are occurring with analog... the feature request is more of a pro-active request under the assumption that some system out there may experience problems. And it's also a reaction to the HDMI audio timing adjustments that are available in the 83. A little "me too", if you will.

If I understand correctly, the new HD sound formats don't depend on 5.1 v 7.1 and, I think, most BRs still don't have 7.1 sound tracks anyway. Actually someone did complain about lipsync just a page or so ago.
Thanks.
post #4553 of 39505 Old 03-24-2009, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

Kamakiriad DVD-A was a no go.

I tried a couple of DVD-As. No joy........................yet (one hopes).

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

post #4554 of 39505 Old 03-24-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:

How did you do audio sync via analog? thx

To do audio sync requires that audio sync delay memory is a part of the hardware design. If its in the hardware then they can do a update to the firmware and include this feature. If its not in the hardware then it might be tough. Does anyone know if there is memory available to support audio delay?

EAP1 excluded
EAP2 excluded

~Michaël
Designer of audio stuff.
post #4555 of 39505 Old 03-24-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:

Actually someone did complain about lipsync just a page or so ago.
Thanks.

Yeah, just noticed that parallel discussion. I wonder what equipment zorro524a is using... he's not listed in the first post.

He could also be referring to surround settings, and not audio/video sync. Not enough data in his post to understand yet. Hope he answers you.
post #4556 of 39505 Old 03-24-2009, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinsrus View Post

To do audio sync requires that audio sync delay memory is a part of the hardware design. If its in the hardware then they can do a update to the firmware and include this feature. If its not in the hardware then it might be tough. Does anyone know if there is memory available to support audio delay?

EAP1 excluded
EAP2 excluded

I was asking the guy who said he did it how he did it. I wasn't asking how it could be implemented in the Oppo. My Meridian processor cannot do lipsync with an analog input so I was just curious if his processor was capable of that. thx
post #4557 of 39505 Old 03-24-2009, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, just noticed that parallel discussion. I wonder what equipment zorro524a is using... he's not listed in the first post.

He could also be referring to surround settings, and not audio/video sync. Not enough data in his post to understand yet. Hope he answers you.

Yes I had the some doubt about his post. I was curious if there are processors out there that can do lipsync on an analog signal since mine can't.
post #4558 of 39505 Old 03-24-2009, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I tried a couple of DVD-As. No joy........................yet (one hopes).

Kal,
Don't you have a Meridian processor? And I take it from your post that you have one of the BR Oppos? If so do you also have the HD621 for the Meridian? Just curious how it all works because that will be my set up when I get my HD621. Thanks.
post #4559 of 39505 Old 03-24-2009, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I haven't posted my set up. Should we EAP2ers post our equipment for reference? If so how do the moderators request that we do that? thx
post #4560 of 39505 Old 03-24-2009, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

Kal,
Don't you have a Meridian processor? And I take it from your post that you have one of the BR Oppos? If so do you also have the HD621 for the Meridian? Just curious how it all works because that will be my set up when I get my HD621. Thanks.

HD621 expected but not yet received.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page