Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 153 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 83Likes

post #4561 of 39868 Old 03-24-2009, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post

I haven't posted my set up. Should we EAP2ers post our equipment for reference? If so how do the moderators request that we do that? thx

PM Neuromancer and he'll add you to the list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4562 of 39868 Old 03-24-2009, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:

I haven't posted my set up. Should we EAP2ers post our equipment for reference? If so how do the moderators request that we do that? thx

Your equipment should be listed in your AVS user profile (if you choose to do so).

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #4563 of 39868 Old 03-24-2009, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Your equipment should be listed in your AVS user profile (if you choose to do so).

larry

Yes I could/should do that but I was thinking for the purpose of this thread it might make extra work for the mods to compile the list for EAPers.
post #4564 of 39868 Old 03-24-2009, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

I suppose the fact that analog timing adjustments are on the wish list indicates that someone has experienced lipsync probs.

That's always a possibility because it depends on whether there is a delay in the display of video on a wide variety of equipment. I'm pretty sure that the ABT VRS processing within the BDP-83 incurs a delay for which the player is already compensating (it greatly helps to look ahead in the video signal, which results in a delay), and this is probably true for other video processors and the more advanced TVs as well. I'd be rather surprised if OPPO overlooked this issue to the extent that the BDP-83 doesn't have the hardware potential to implement it.
post #4565 of 39868 Old 03-24-2009, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:

Yes I could/should do that but I was thinking for the purpose of this thread it might make extra work for the mods to compile the list for EAPers.

If Neuromancer or JohnAV want to take your gear list via PM and list it in their early posts, that's fine by me.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #4566 of 39868 Old 03-24-2009, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Equipment lists can be found in this thread, in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post15914856

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #4567 of 39868 Old 03-24-2009, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Sammy 61" 750 LED here. I see no difference between 4:4:4, 4:2:2 or RGB, so apparently the Sammy is handing conversions very well. YMMV. I use 4:4:4. Just be sure you have the Sammy set up right and well-calibrated with most of the "auto" and "dynamic" stuff switched off.

I do have a well ISF calibrated Sammy LED DLP. I have decided to use Auto since the Sammy does do the conversions well. Thanks for your advise.
post #4568 of 39868 Old 03-24-2009, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

There's not much to be testing. DVD-A is working but needs refinement. There will be setup options added soon, and the encryption bug will be fixed soon as well.

It may be semantics, but I'd say DVD-A is "not working" -- apparently because of the encryption bug.

Quote:
I'm not sure there's anything to be gained right now by posting lists of discs that do or do not play, seeing as how this thread is already choking with OT posts. I tried a half dozen different DVD-A and they all played perfectly.

I was about to agree with you that posting titles was useless -- except now I really want to know what commercial releases played fine for you, since the two I tried didn't work.

Quote:
MLP file support on disc or USB is not yet working either.

The MLP track on the homemade DVD-A disc I have played fine, but it's the MLP track on a DVD-A, so maybe that's different?

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #4569 of 39868 Old 03-24-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

I was about to agree with you that posting titles was useless -- except now I really want to know what commercial releases played fine for you, since the two I tried didn't work.

Discs that currently play fine for me are listed below.

Blue Man Group: Audio
Blue Man Group: The Complex
Toy Matinee
Barenaked Ladies: Maroon
The Corrs: In Blue
Metallica: Black
3 Doors Down: Away From The Sun
Foo Fighters: One By one
Stone Temple Pilots: Core

Discs that currently don't play for me are listed below.

Alanis Morissette: Under Rug Swept
Queensryche: Empire
Porcupine Tree: In Absentia

gonk
Beta tester: BDP-83 / BDP-80
post #4570 of 39868 Old 03-24-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseGoth View Post

the feature request is more of a pro-active request under the assumption that some system out there may experience problems. And it's also a reaction to the HDMI audio timing adjustments that are available in the 83. A little "me too", if you will.

I was one of the people who made the request. My TV, a Samsung LN40A750 requires lip sync delay with every other device attached to it. With the Wii, we put it in Video Game mode, which makes it close enough that no one would really notice, but that mode removes the ability to properly calibrate that input.

I'm 100% sure when my BDP-83 arrives, if I go analog bypass I will have lip sync issues.

Quote:

Yes I had the some doubt about his post. I was curious if there are processors out there that can do lipsync on an analog signal since mine can't.

Some can. I have an Outlaw 1070 receiver (which is almost identical to their 970 pre/pro) which has a unique set of functions for the 7.1 inputs. On the back panel is a 3 way switch:

1. Total bypass, inputs sent to outputs with volume changes (master and per channel according to Outlaw)
2. Bypass with bass management. This is fully analog, as there is an analog crossover setup in the receiver, which is fixed at 80hz.
3. DSP. This takes the analog ins, passes it via A/D through its full DSP section (apply varied crossover, lip sync delay, speaker distance delay, EQ, etc.), then passes it back via D/A to the amplifiers (or outputs if it is the pre/pro, or using the preamp outputs).

So in my situation, I will likely have to switch from the 'bypass with bass management' option to the full DSP option. In the long run I may actually prefer this, as my Anthony Gallo setup does work a bit better at 100hz crossover. However, it would be nice to have the ability to compare back and forth to decide what I prefer, if I can even tell a difference. And if I do prefer the 'analog with bass management' setting up the Oppo to do the lip sync delay will make that usable, as I will not be climbing behind the receiver every time I switch between movies and audio disks to flip that switch.

And of course, just in case someone thinks of it, I wouldn't care if SACD had that delay as there is no video content. I would only need it for BluRay & DVD, which are already in PCM and passing them via a delay shouldn't have any adverse effects on their quality.

I also feel the need to mention that I'm lucky in that my receiver gives me those choices. There are many many receivers that don't have an option to do DSP on the analog inputs. And some of those receivers are still very nice pieces of equipment that don't need to be upgraded just because everyone else has HDMI inputs these days. IMHO HDMI is convenient, but not convenient enough for me to drop $700+ on a new receiver that may or may not sound as good as what I have. I would probably have to drop a bit more than that even, as Outlaw is a company much like Oppo, known in its circles as a tremendous value per dollar compared to the typical big names.
post #4571 of 39868 Old 03-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseGoth View Post

No one has yet reported in this forum that lip sync issues are occurring with analog... the feature request is more of a pro-active request under the assumption that some system out there may experience problems. And it's also a reaction to the HDMI audio timing adjustments that are available in the 83. A little "me too", if you will.

I experienced lip sync issues watching BR Glory Road this weekend. I am using the analogs out into my Yamaha RX-V2500.

Hal
post #4572 of 39868 Old 03-24-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:

I was asking the guy who said he did it how he did it. I wasn't asking how it could be implemented in the Oppo. My Meridian processor cannot do lipsync with an analog input so I was just curious if his processor was capable of that. thx

That's how I'll be doing lip-sync delay; in my audio processor. I'll also be using the analog outs to go into my processor. Consequently, I'll have no need for the Oppo to provide lip-sync compensation. I will need delay to be constant for all video sources so that my delay compensation requirement is static.

EAP1 excluded
EAP2 excluded

~Michaël
Designer of audio stuff.
post #4573 of 39868 Old 03-24-2009, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

It may be semantics, but I'd say DVD-A is "not working" -- apparently because of the encryption bug.

It's working here except for encrypted titles.

Quote:

I'm sure that people will be posting titles regardless. But the encryption bug should be fixed pretty quickly, making that kind of pointless.
Quote:

The MLP track on the homemade DVD-A disc I have played fine, but it's the MLP track on a DVD-A, so maybe that's different?

MLP on USB or data disc is not working yet. It's expected to work because all other Oppo players can do that.
post #4574 of 39868 Old 03-24-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Parr View Post

I was one of the people who made the request. My TV, a Samsung LN40A750 requires lip sync delay with every other device attached to it. With the Wii, we put it in Video Game mode, which makes it close enough that no one would really notice, but that mode removes the ability to properly calibrate that input.

I'm 100% sure when my BDP-83 arrives, if I go analog bypass I will have lip sync issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halsan40 View Post

I experienced lip sync issues watching BR Glory Road this weekend. I am using the analogs out into my Yamaha RX-V2500.

Now we're getting some good feedback (not good in the sense of "positive" of course). Hope Oppo can do something with this request because, as SP mentioned, very few receivers will process analog inputs (mine included).
post #4575 of 39868 Old 03-24-2009, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halsan40 View Post

There are still occasional synch issues with specific discs and/or audio streams, so it might be premature to associate that with the analog outs. Especially if you've only experienced it on one disc. A synch issue that's specific to your analog connection would be the same across all discs.
post #4576 of 39868 Old 03-24-2009, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Also, are you talking about the entire movie being out of synchronization, or just the later half or portions being out of sync?
post #4577 of 39868 Old 03-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:

Yes I had the some doubt about his post. I was curious if there are processors out there that can do lipsync on an analog signal since mine can't.

Sure. There are processors that will do lip-sync on stereo or multi-channel analog audio inputs. However you likely won't get that if you run the processor in analog "pass through" where it is not allowed to digitize the analog input for processing.

For example my Anthem Statement D2v offers lip sync adjustment on analog audio inputs if it is set to process the analog audio. But not if it is set to "pass through" the analog audio (i.e., meaning you only get main volume adjustment).
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #4578 of 39868 Old 03-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Also, are you talking about the entire movie being out of synchronization, or just the later half or portions being out of sync?

In all fairness, I only watched the last half of the movie because the family started it before I could join and I am really not into basketball. I know that the last half of it had the issue, and I didn't bring it up while watching the movie because I don't think my family noticed it. I haven't noticed it on other DVD or BR's played in the Oppo, but I will look more closely in the future. I have the BR Bolt coming this weekend and I will report back after I watch it.

Hal
post #4579 of 39868 Old 03-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonk View Post

Discs that currently play fine for me are listed below.

Blue Man Group: Audio
Blue Man Group: The Complex
Toy Matinee
Barenaked Ladies: Maroon
The Corrs: In Blue
Metallica: Black
3 Doors Down: Away From The Sun
Foo Fighters: One By one
Stone Temple Pilots: Core

Discs that currently don't play for me are listed below.

Alanis Morissette: Under Rug Swept
Queensryche: Empire
Porcupine Tree: In Absentia

I will be able to add a few to the list, once I get my player. I currently have Deadwing by Porcupine Tree (I now know In Absentia won't work) and Touch my Sarah McClachlan (2 channel only). I also have a few more on the way and I plan to at least get one SACD to start a collection.
post #4580 of 39868 Old 03-24-2009, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Parr View Post

...In the long run I may actually prefer this, as my Anthony Gallo setup does work a bit better at 100hz crossover....

Not sure which speakers you have, but Audyssey set my A'Diva Ti speakers to cross at 120Hz for the fronts and 150Hz for the side surrounds. That processor looks for the -3dB point of the speaker in your room, so you may want to take it up to that point to try out your system.
post #4581 of 39868 Old 03-24-2009, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
[quote=yarrumc;16114261]Touch my Sarah McClachlanQUOTE]
post #4582 of 39868 Old 03-24-2009, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Release date: March 24, 2009
Category: Latest Preliminary Release
Main Version: BDP83-16-0320
Loader Version: BE2100 85752100
Sub Version: MCU83-19-0122
Release Notes:

The major changes included in this version are:

1. Preliminary DVD-Audio Support.

This firmware version provides

preliminary support for DVD-Audio playback. The DVD-Audio feature is still at an very early stage, and this firmware is just a proof of concept. Disc compatibility issues and menu navigation difficulties are expected. We are accelerating the implementation and will provide improvements with future firmware updates. 2. Fix for the audio drop-out issue affecting the bitstream output of DTS-HD Master Audio.
3. Fix for the audio drop-out issue affecting some discs with Dolby TrueHD audio tracks, such as the "Celine Dion: Live in Las Vegas - A New Day" disc;
4. Slow motion playback.

This firmware version adds a "slow motion playback" feature. To access this feature, please first pause the playback, and then use the left and right arrow buttons to select a slow motion playback speed. DVD-Video discs and Blu-ray Discs without BD-Java navigation are supported for this feature.

5. Other general disc compatibility and performance improvements.
post #4583 of 39868 Old 03-24-2009, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Firmware sounds like real progress toward a fully functioning player. Nice that they included the slo-mo process...more fun watching things blow up!!!
post #4584 of 39868 Old 03-24-2009, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I have the BDP-83 hooked up to my Optima HD-73 by HDMI and the audio is going to A Rotel RSP-1066 via multichannel analog. Setup was a piece of cake. I had to go in and disable HDMI audio, but that was pretty intuitive.

The only BD I have is Wall-E. We just watched the beginning to see how it looked and sounded; ended up watching the whole thing (second time through).

The video and audio are everything I had expected and probably a bit more. No lip-sync or stutters or anything else with the audio; just clear and full range sound.

We also watched parts of Pirates (Black Pearl) in SD. Up conversion was at least as good as the 971HD and probable better; it's hard to A/B from memory. DTS sound was spot on.

On the SACD front, here is what worked:

Diana Krall: The Girl in the Other Room
Sound and Vision (Telarc) Sampler
Billy Joel: The Stranger
Living Stereo, Pictures at an Exhibition, Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Dire Straits: Brothers in Arms
Concord Jazz: SACD Sampler
Sting: Sacred Love
Pink Floyd: Dark Side
Nickel Creek: Nickel Creek

Here is what would not load (Recognized as an SACD but the menu does not come upaand it won't play):

Sony Classical: Issac Stern Plays Vivaldi Four Seasons

I have a DVD-Audio disc somewhere, but I can't find it.

Here is a slight oddity that took care of itself. While trying to skip over previews (forgot which SD DVD, I hit the Pop UP Menu button and the screen stretched for a few seconds and then went to the top menu for the DVD. The stretch had gone away. No big thing.

This thing is way more ready than most, if not all, of the A/V boxes I have bought over the years.

2nd round OPPO BDP-83 EAP Selectee
post #4585 of 39868 Old 03-24-2009, 03:17 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef View Post

Firmware sounds like real progress toward a fully functioning player. Nice that they included the slo-mo process...more fun watching things blow up!!!

The slow motion rates are 1/16, 1/8, 1/4 and 1/2.

Other new features:
  • an optional "notify me when new firmware is available" network setting
  • the on-screen display now has more info on the number of channels in the current audio track
-Bill
post #4586 of 39868 Old 03-24-2009, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

R

Assumption made that this is the FW we're getting in the EAP-2 wave... correct?

-steve
My HT Setup - updated 12/25/2012
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #4587 of 39868 Old 03-24-2009, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, this is the current firmware installed on the EAP300 units.

And if you attempt to update the firmware, your player will say:

"Congratulations! Your player is already up to date" or something similar.
post #4588 of 39868 Old 03-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
[quote=winston9332;16114463]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrumc View Post

Touch my Sarah McClachlanQUOTE]

Oops.. maybe a slip.. not that I'd mind
post #4589 of 39868 Old 03-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I have a question. I'm in the 300, so I won't be able to test updating firmware until the next version comes out.

Does the file have to be named BDP-83.bin like the instructions say to verify? For example, can I rename it to BDP-83-16-0320.bin, or will that not be detected?

If a Beta tester could answer, or if one of the first 50 could try this and see what happens, that would be appreciated.
post #4590 of 39868 Old 03-24-2009, 04:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobearQSI View Post

I have a question. I'm in the 300, so I won't be able to test updating firmware until the next version comes out.

Does the file have to be named BDP-83.bin like the instructions say to verify? For example, can I rename it to BDP-83-16-0320.bin, or will that not be detected?

If a Beta tester could answer, or if one of the first 50 could try this and see what happens, that would be appreciated.

Do not change the naming on the FW file. If you download the file to PC, the zip file will be named for the version.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page