Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 174 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 105Likes

post #5191 of 40084 Old 03-28-2009, 06:12 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

I didn't see any difference in the PQ, but I'm wondering if others have noted this. Perhaps the Pio is only indicating that the HDMI Deep Color handshake is working and not necssarily that Deep Color info is being passed?

I've not been able to test it myself, but have seen a couple of comments that it makes smoother gradients on some animation.

I suspect this is a very minor feature of the player.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5192 of 40084 Old 03-28-2009, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just started trying this puppy out but I did give Brick a try. CD side played fine on all discs. DVD-A side exhibited two distinct responses, both of them bad. Fear of Music and Remain in Light would lock the Oppo up shortly after inserting the disc and prior to any menu appearing on the screen. In these two instances I got no response from the R/C or the front of the unit other than to turn it off (which took a few seconds longer than usual). To eject the disc I had to press the eject button while the unit was off.

The other, more common, result was for the disc's menu to start but lock up prior to the menu completely loading. In these cases, the open button on the R/C did work.

I notice that the manual provides the following on page 3 under "Discs That Cannot be Played":

Quote:

Some DualDiscs: A DualDisc is a two sided disc with DVD on one side and digital audio on the other side. The digital audio side does not meet the technical
specifications of the Compact Disc Digital Audio (CD-DA) format so playback is not guaranteed. P

That this is printed up front suggests this might be not be fixable with a FW update. Any thoughts?

JimS

Rough business this movie business. I may have to go back to loan sharking for a rest.
post #5193 of 40084 Old 03-28-2009, 06:36 AM

BTW, even though my manual had a slip page instructing me to DL the latest version of the manual, the version included with my player is the same as the online version.

JimS

Rough business this movie business. I may have to go back to loan sharking for a rest.
post #5194 of 40084 Old 03-28-2009, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom899 View Post

Is there a list of problem discs? Whether it be BD, DVD-A, DVD, SACD, etc... Maybe we could have a sticky, or first page of thread with-in this thread that us users could add such discs with comments as to if the disc won't play at all, or time stamp, etc... so the rest of us can try them out. Just an idea.

Well, either this is not a good idea, not feasable, overlooked?

-Tom
post #5195 of 40084 Old 03-28-2009, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhstn58 View Post

Just started trying this puppy out but I did give Brick a try. CD side played fine on all discs. DVD-A side exhibited two distinct responses, both of them bad. Fear of Music and Remain in Light would lock the Oppo up shortly after inserting the disc and prior to any menu appearing on the screen. In these two instances I got no response from the R/C or the front of the unit other than to turn it off (which took a few seconds longer than usual). To eject the disc I had to press the eject button while the unit was off.

The other, more common, result was for the disc's menu to start but lock up prior to the menu completely loading. In these cases, the open button on the R/C did work.

I notice that the manual provides the following on page 3 under "Discs That Cannot be Played":

"Some DualDiscs: A DualDisc is a two sided disc with DVD on one side and digital audio on the other side. The digital audio side does not meet the technical
specifications of the Compact Disc Digital Audio (CD-DA) format so playback is not guaranteed. P "

That this is printed up front suggests this might be not be fixable with a FW update. Any thoughts?

The DVD-A side not playing is a known issue with the Oppo and is being addressed, as advertised in this thread. So the issues you experienced are supposed to be fixed "soon".

The text in the manual is referring to the "CD" side, which you didn't have any issues. But if you had issues, Oppo is basically saying "blame the DualDisc people - the CD side is out of spec".

More detail, AFAIK: The issue with the CD side of DualDiscs is purely a CD-laser head/pick-up design issue: The "CD" side of a DualDisc is not built to the specification of a CD, which is why it truly not a "Compact Disc" because it violates the tech spec, instead the DualDisc folks called it "Digital Audio" side of the disk. Depending on tolerances in the manufacturing of the particular disk you have and your player's CD laser head, it may or may not work properly, and no firmware can really fix this. However, in practice failure to read the "CD" side is very rare.

It's annoying, but since all the "CD" sides of your Brick DualDiscs worked, you seem to be in good shape.

Again, AFAIK,

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #5196 of 40084 Old 03-28-2009, 07:06 AM

Just now trying out the DTS CD of Band on the Run. Two points: The audio of the first cut is delayed by about one second (the opening guitar lick is missing completely; sound kicks in with the first downbeat). When I start the CD I notice my Yamaha 2700 flashing for a moment before it locks into the DTS stream (via bitstream) or the PCM stream (via LPCM). Obviously that 's a bother, but the most unusual thing about this disc is that the 83 is playing the audio tracks at a faster speed than it should. Paul's voice is noticeably higher, and eyeballing the elapsed time, the clock appears to be slightly fast too (10% say). I'm still experimenting with other discs. Back soon with more.

JimS

post #5197 of 40084 Old 03-28-2009, 07:19 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom899 View Post

Well, either this is not a good idea, not feasable, overlooked?

It sounds like a lot of work for someone. And you'd have to retest the entire list for each new firmware. In particular, I would not bother listing DVD-A problems until another revision or two.

But if you make such a resource and put it on the web, I will put a link in the FAQ.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #5198 of 40084 Old 03-28-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

It sounds like a lot of work for someone. And you'd have to retest the entire list for each new firmware. In particular, I would not bother listing DVD-A problems until another revision or two.

But if you make such a resource and put it on the web, I will put a link in the FAQ.

-Bill

Thanks- probably a good idea but not worth the trouble than. I don't at the moment have the expertise to set this up. Everything on this thread is moving so fast its hard to keep up with the issues and problems.

-Tom
post #5199 of 40084 Old 03-28-2009, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I sat down to watch Australia last night with the wife. Everything loaded in short measure and I entered the setup section of the menu, then audio and chose dts hd master audio and no subtitles, then the screen disappeared. The player continued to show top menu, but was otherwise unresponsive. I had to open the disc and reboot. Tried it again and black screen again. If I hit play directly from the menu, it played seamlessly.

After watching 30 minutes, I realized it was yet another bleeding edge technology feature of the oppo - bad movie blocker!
post #5200 of 40084 Old 03-28-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

I sat down to watch Australia last night with the wife. Everything loaded in short measure and I entered the setup section of the menu, then audio and chose dts hd master audio and no subtitles, then the screen disappeared. The player continued to show top menu, but was otherwise unresponsive. I had to open the disc and reboot. Tried it again and black screen again. If I hit play directly from the menu, it played seamlessly.

After watching 30 minutes, I realized it was yet another bleeding edge technology feature of the oppo - bad movie blocker!

Good one!!

-Tom
post #5201 of 40084 Old 03-28-2009, 07:50 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

I think I toggled through the audio on that one without difficulty; don't specifically recall. I do try to "exercise" each BR that I play.

It's been many months since I had a BR playback problem, apart from having to make audio sync adjustments from time to time.

-Bill

post #5202 of 40084 Old 03-28-2009, 08:04 AM

As previously noted, Nightfly wouldn't play.

I've also noticed that the fast forward and rewind buttons do not work consistently on DVD-As. So far, on many discs I have to call up the display to get the FF or RW to work. Sometimes even that doesn't make a difference. All that elapses is the (real time) period that I spent with the FF or RW action engaged.

Finally I was unable to access several cuts on the DVD-A side of an AIX sampler Disc (the DVD-V side worked fine of course). None of the jazz music on the disc would play at all. And the only images that would appear - regardless of what music genre I was trying - were the classical album covers (perhaps it's related to the fact that I played the some classical cuts first, where everything seemed to be working fine).

Anyway, enough with the music critiques. Oppo knows it's got a bit of work to do to smooth out DVD-A and I'm encouraged by the prospect that, when it works, it sounds GREAT!

It's onto DVDs!

JimS

post #5203 of 40084 Old 03-28-2009, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddthomas View Post

I just received Doctor Who, Season 3, disc 5 tonight via Netflix, and my 83 won't play its title menu. The disc was not in great shape, so I cleaned it with soap, water, and Windex, but still had the same problem. I then put the disc in my old DVD player (a Pioneer DV-588A which has had problems playing several scratched Netflix disks) and it played fine.

Here's the sequence of events:

- insert disc;
- press Stop to cancel resume from saved position if necessary;
- you're forced to watch or press Next to skip past the following:
-- FBI warning,
-- 2|entertain logo animation,
-- BBC logo animation,
-- promo for MI-5 series on DVD;
- up to this point, the 83's front panel display has been displaying "TITLE", but now it switches to "1 00:00:00", then increments to :01 and sometimes :02 before going back to :00. I know from successful playback on my old Pioneer that the top menu plays at this point.
- I'm now stuck; pretty much every button I thought might enable me to navigate somewhere else results in the red circle-slash displaying in the upper left corner of the screen.

Anyone else have this problem with this disc?

I do not have this problem with this disc. Plays fine for me.

"Nature Abhors a Vacuum Tube" -  J. R. Pierce
post #5204 of 40084 Old 03-28-2009, 08:15 AM

I would never judge a player on a rental disc. I don't care how good a shape it appears to be in...
post #5205 of 40084 Old 03-28-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:

The exact same thing happened to me last night with Australia so it appears this is a problem discs for the 83.
post #5206 of 40084 Old 03-28-2009, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

Australia gave me a problem the first time I played it with the exact same issue you report. The weird thing is I wasn't able to reproduce it!

When my contact at Oppo tried it, the same thing happened to him the first time he loaded the disc...very strange. This was on the last firmware, not the current. BTW, you're right about the movie not being very good!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #5207 of 40084 Old 03-28-2009, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven More View Post

The exact same thing happened to me last night with Australia so it appears this is a problem discs for the 83.

Craven,

See my previous post and see if you can recreate the issue.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #5208 of 40084 Old 03-28-2009, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I can add one more playable DVDA to the bunch.

Steven Wilson: Insurgents

I did experience a lockup/restart with Dark Side of the Moon SACD, when I was in the setup, changing back and forth between settings. It could be that one of those toggles freaked it out , while the audio was still playing? I will have a chance to watch and test a few movies tonight, to get a better overall review.
post #5209 of 40084 Old 03-28-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigVid View Post

I would never judge a player on a rental disc. I don't care how good a shape it appears to be in...

Respectfully I would; the unit should play rentals (in reasonable shape) without issue. Customers shouldn't be put in a situation of spending hundreds to find out the machine doesn't handle rentals well, IMHO.

If the player can't handle the rentals my desire to buy dwindles significantly.

OPPO BDP-83 (EAP 2)
post #5210 of 40084 Old 03-28-2009, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofKaty View Post

...The Jackson Browne "Running on Empty" DVD-A locks up on the title screen and won't play at all....

This disc was also problematic during the development of the 980H. It must have some authoring problems.

Quote:

...another bleeding edge technology feature of the oppo - bad movie blocker!

Anyone else ordering up this movie is forewarned!!! Seems to run for about 6-8 hours!
post #5211 of 40084 Old 03-28-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlarson View Post

I do not have this problem with this disc. Plays fine for me.

Okay, thanks for checking. I guess it's just the condition of the particular disc I was sent, but I'm surprised my old player can handle it and not the 83. It's the first rental I've tried; the Blu-ray version of _Let The Right One In_ will be the next.
post #5212 of 40084 Old 03-28-2009, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
For Integra 9.8/Onkyo Pro 885 Owners for SACD Playback:

I have the player set to DSD. The display on the Integra shows DSD, but I can also use all the other surround modes (i.e. DPLII Music). Is there any advantage to leaving the Integra at DSD (not DSD Direct which, I think, disables Audessy).

Thanks,

Jim

JVC RS25 Projector

84" 16:9 Da-Lite Matte White Model C Screen

Panasonic TC-P65VT60 Display

Oppo BDP-103 Blu Ray Player

Pioneer Elite SC-67 Receiver

Pioneer SP-FS52 (2), SP-C22 (1), SP-B22 (4) 7.1 Speaker System

Rythmik F12 Subwoofer

Darbee Darblet Video Enhancer

DSpeaker Anti-Mode 8033Cinema...

post #5213 of 40084 Old 03-28-2009, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtheatre View Post

For Integra 9.8/Onkyo Pro 885 Owners for SACD Playback:

I have the player set to DSD. The display on the Integra shows DSD, but I can also use all the other surround modes (i.e. DPLII Music). Is there any advantage to leaving the Integra at DSD (not DSD Direct which, I think, disables Audessy).

Thanks,

Jim

The advantage would be a matter of opinion... that you would be listening to the disc as the authors/artists intended it to be heard in DSD mode. If you would like to ad post processing to alter the soundstage, then that is up to you. Whatever sounds best to your ears should be what is important to you.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #5214 of 40084 Old 03-28-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Craven,

See my previous post and see if you can recreate the issue.

I'll give it a try tonight. BTW, I could only get past the 1st 20 minutes of the film last night (no fault of the player).
post #5215 of 40084 Old 03-28-2009, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven More View Post

I'll give it a try tonight. BTW, I could only get past the 1st 20 minutes of the film last night (no fault of the player).

Know it's WAY off topic, but could not believe how BAD that movie was.

Still having intermittent issues with lipsynch on sd dvds - am i the only one?
post #5216 of 40084 Old 03-28-2009, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:

Still having intermittent issues with lipsynch on sd dvds - am i the only one?

Turn off DVD-24p and see if that helps.
post #5217 of 40084 Old 03-28-2009, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:

Originally Posted by winston9332 I sat down to watch Australia last night with the wife. Everything loaded in short measure and I entered the setup section of the menu, then audio and chose dts hd master audio and no subtitles, then the screen disappeared. The player continued to show top menu, but was otherwise unresponsive. I had to open the disc and reboot. Tried it again and black screen again. If I hit play directly from the menu, it played seamlessly.

Anyone having playback issues with specific BD discs, especially freezes or hangs while loading: Be sure that BD-Live is disabled in network setup, eject and try it again. BD-Live is prolly the #1 cause of these type issues and needs to be ruled out.
post #5218 of 40084 Old 03-28-2009, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Anyone having playback issues with specific BD discs, especially freezes or hangs while loading: Be sure that BD-Live is disabled in network setup, eject and try it again. BD-Live is prolly the #1 cause of these type issues and needs to be ruled out.

oh bd live...yet another example of its wonderful value!
post #5219 of 40084 Old 03-28-2009, 09:26 AM
Immaculate Grand Phoobah

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampDawg78 View Post

Respectfully I would; the unit should play rentals (in reasonable shape) without issue. Customers shouldn't be put in a situation of spending hundreds to find out the machine doesn't handle rentals well, IMHO.

Yep.

Rem facias, rem
si possis, recte, si non, quocumque modo, rem.
post #5220 of 40084 Old 03-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampDawg78 View Post

Agreed.

In my testing the Oppo actually handles damaged discs BETTER than I'm used to from other players.

In any event, whatever happened with that one disc for the poster above needs to be tracked down regardless of the fact of it being a rental.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player