Official OPPO BDP-83 Owner's Thread [technical talk only] - Page 176 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #5251 of 39363 Old 03-28-2009, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sunfire -

Thanks for the quick response. I'm glad these are known. And, I hope that there will be fix forthcoming. Expecially the tearing, which is definitely weird.

The reason I called them issues is because, previously, I've not experienced them with my other machines. The exception was lip-sync with the Sammy which, when it occurred, was always fixed by turning off 24p.

PS - I assume the Sunfire handle refers to Bob Carver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5252 of 39363 Old 03-28-2009, 12:34 PM

I just installed mine and tried to watch a .mkv file. I am used to divx encoding. Do you need to do something to get the file to play in movie mode? It doesn't even show up on the file list.
post #5253 of 39363 Old 03-28-2009, 12:36 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

My wife liked the naked chest shots of Hugh Jackman...now if the director had chosen to do the same with Nicole for us men, the movie would have been MUCH better!

Funny my wife said the same for HUGH and i said the same for Nicole!!! Beautifull color in most scenes with the OPPO !!!!!

EAP {First Fifty} OPPO BDP-83 BLU-RAY, Oppo BDP-93 First Batch Issued, Oppo BDP-103 First Batch Issued

post #5254 of 39363 Old 03-28-2009, 12:41 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9168 View Post

I just installed mine and tried to watch a .mkv file. I am used to divx encoding. Do you need to do something to get the file to play in movie mode? It doesn't even show up on the file list.

.mkv shows in the browser here. Are you sure you are selecting "Movie" at the top level?

-Bill
post #5255 of 39363 Old 03-28-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by styx1 View Post

I just received an email from Logitech concerning alternate BDP-83 codes. It doesn't look promising:

3. Click on the "Devices" tab, then beside the device, click on "Settings".
4. Select "Confirm Infrared Commands" and click "Next".

Styx- that is normally how you switch code sets on the Harmony. The Tech support person I dealt with said this method wouldn't work. Eventually they will get it set up.

I was going to check that method out later today. But I've been busy pulling out and testing my bad in-wall speaker. Unfortunately it was the center channel behind the screen.

BDP-83 EAP 300 Member
post #5256 of 39363 Old 03-28-2009, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
My list

1) I have listened to a few SACDs played fine with perfect details.

2) SD was as good as expected. I used Star Wars II because I used many time for NEW BD testing.

3) 2ch Maroon5 "She Will Be Love" and " Janine Jansen" sound great.

4) Played the above HDMI very muddy. I changed Denon to Direct and it was music again. I like the Oppo 2 ch. I have to listen more because I changed my mind. His voice, I am not sure if it is more details for "She Will Be love"

5) I will vote yes if Oppo send me my missing screw on the on back. Will call Monday

To be Continued.
post #5257 of 39363 Old 03-28-2009, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

this is not an issue, it's the processor shifting into 24p mode, which generates a HDMI handshake. Turn off DVD-24p and it's gone. The ABT will "watch" the video for a few seconds to see if it has a pull-down cadence, then shift into 24p if it sees film-based content.

Again related to DVD-24p, this is "tearing" and is a known issue. It's caused by a loss of cadence in the video. Turn off 24p and it's gone.

There are also some synch issues associated with DVD-24p. If you turn it off you should see improved synch.

Sadly, these are the reasons sometimes DVD at 24p is a drag. And I agree that anyone seeing this stuff (tearing, combing, or sync issues) should turn 24p off.

Quote:

Oppo is working with ABT on the image tearing and related issues. Hopefully they will come up with something.

That's cool. I hope they succeed. I prefer 24p but would not be surprised if I have to turn it off on some DVDs that are poorly mastered.

post #5258 of 39363 Old 03-28-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

.mkv shows in the browser here. Are you sure you are selecting "Movie" at the top level?

-Bill

I did go to the movie folder. It is a x264 mkv.
post #5259 of 39363 Old 03-28-2009, 12:51 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Your file is on a USB device or data disc, right? And you can see other files on it?

The file has extension of .mkv?

You press HOME or SOURCE on the remote, which takes you to the Home menu?

You then select Movie (not Audio or Pictures)?

You then select your device and browse the folders on it?

And your .mkv file does not appear? What is the complete name?

-Bill
post #5260 of 39363 Old 03-28-2009, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

Interesting. No trouble here playing a homemade mkv file from DVD-R. Perhaps it's a dodgy file. Does it have a file extension?

post #5261 of 39363 Old 03-28-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Your file is on a USB device or data disc, right? And you can see other files on it?

The file has extension of .mkv?

You press HOME or SOURCE on the remote, which takes you to the Home menu?

You then select Movie (not Audio or Pictures)?

You then select your device and browse the folders on it?

And your .mkv file does not appear? What is the complete name?

-Bill

The file has .m4v extension

The title is X.X.H264.X-AvF.m4v
post #5262 of 39363 Old 03-28-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

Sadly, these are the reasons sometimes DVD at 24p is a drag. And I agree that anyone seeing this stuff (tearing, combing, or sync issues) should turn 24p off.

That's cool. I hope they succeed. I prefer 24p but would not be surprised if I have to turn it off on some DVDs that are poorly mastered.

Sadly, is correct. I do hope they find a fix, as the PQ for SDVD is a notch above my Panny 35, but no "tearing" or lip-sync observed ever. 24p has been "on" since the day I bought it. So, either Panasonic found a fix, or ABT and Oppo are fighting a feature of taking upscaling to another level. Although, the Sammy 1200's chip is no slouch.
post #5263 of 39363 Old 03-28-2009, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry18025 View Post

Sadly, is correct. I do hope they find a fix, as the PQ for SDVD is a notch above my Panny 35, but no "tearing" or lip-sync observed ever. 24p has been "on" since the day I bought it. So, either Panasonic found a fix, or ABT and Oppo are fighting a feature of taking upscaling to another level. Although, the Sammy 1200's chip is no slouch.

There are almost as many different approaches to outputting DVD-24p as there are players that do it. There's one that simply deletes frames without regard to whether it's the right one to delete. The Oppo is attempting a true reverse telecine operation that is, to say the least, complicated. DVDs are not now nor have they ever been edited and authored with 24 FPS in mind, so losing cadence is the norm, not the exception.

Again, 24p has no advantage for producing image quality.
post #5264 of 39363 Old 03-28-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam88 View Post

I have an older 50" Toshiba RPTV with component inputs only (1080i) and I intend to get an HDfury2 so that I can use the ABT's video processing on SD-DVD. From what I've read on most forums, the HDfury2 is very well regarded.

Hi folks,

I'm back after an extended March break down south (not that anyone really cares!). Nice to read up on all that's going on with the BDP-83!

The HDFury2 is an excellent solution for those with monitors with component-only inputs. I also have an older Toshiba and have used an HDFury (not "2") with my Oppo 980. From what I have seen, it does wonders with Blu-Ray players. You can find comparative shots online taken using the device alongside the same images fed via HDMI. These eyes found virtually no difference in quality between the two.

R
post #5265 of 39363 Old 03-28-2009, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

for me the australia bug was only realized when i entered the setup then audio menu. chose dts hd ma and no subtitles, then screen goes black. oppo still says top menu, but is unresponsive. i had to eject the disc and reload. if i hit play from the beginning, no issue. movie had no other issue.

I had this exact same issue in the setup menu with Quantum of Solace. I noted it earlier in the thread. I thought it may have just been a one time quirk...but it definitely sounds like something Oppo should check into now.

I don't really like talking about my flair

My Home Theater Project:
post #5266 of 39363 Old 03-28-2009, 02:10 PM

My display is a rear-projection CRT, and its HDMI input is unfortunately set up for about 5% overscan. So I've really been appreciating the 83's underscan capability.

As the manual states, zoom is reset to 1:1 when the disc is ejected or the player is turned off. Since in my situation I want underscan pretty much all the time, it would be nice to be able to choose which zoom mode is the default.

But I realize my situation is probably unusual given all the fixed-pixel displays out there. I'm curious to know whether others would like this feature, or if there's a reason why such a feature isn't a good idea.
post #5267 of 39363 Old 03-28-2009, 02:11 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

The file has .m4v extension

The title is X.X.H264.X-AvF.m4v

You can see the list of supported file extensions in the FAQ: What are the supported media file types?

.m4v is not one of them. Try renaming it to .mkv and see if that works.

-Bill
post #5268 of 39363 Old 03-28-2009, 02:15 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddthomas View Post

My display is a rear-projection CRT, and its HDMI input is unfortunately set up for about 5% overscan. So I've really been appreciating the 83's underscan capability.

As the manual states, zoom is reset to 1:1 when the disc is ejected or the player is turned off. Since in my situation I want underscan pretty much all the time, it would be nice to be able to choose which zoom mode is the default.

But I realize my situation is probably unusual given all the fixed-pixel displays out there. I'm curious to know whether others would like this feature, or if there's a reason why such a feature isn't a good idea.

I haven't felt the need for that, but I do wish the Zoom button produced a popup window and worked like Resolution where you can arrow up and down rather than cycling through each of the settings. To be perfectly consistent Audio and Subtitle should work the same way, although they bother me less. Although I just had a disc with 18 subtitle tracks...

-Bill
post #5269 of 39363 Old 03-28-2009, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Cont.

Iron Man made me turned off DRC.
post #5270 of 39363 Old 03-28-2009, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by styx1 View Post

Just received an update....

Thank you for your recent inquiry about your Harmony Remote.

We are sorry you have been experiencing this difficulty. As we suggested, you should be able to confirm the commands from the original remote. This will request 3 to 6 keypresses, and will not require you to learn the entire codeset. To do this, please follow these steps:

1. Log in to your account using the Logitech Harmony Remote Software.
2. Connect your Harmony remote to the USB cable.
3. Click on the "Devices" tab, then beside the device, click on "Settings".
4. Select "Confirm Infrared Commands" and click "Next".
5. You will be asked for some button presses. Point your original remote to the bottom end of the Harmony, and from 2-5 cm away, press each button as the software asks for it. The computer screen will blink (refresh) once the key is detected, and you will see the message "Key detected." Once the software has found the best set of codes, you will get confirmation. You may need to answer some set up questions, just click "Next" to go through and make any changes needed.
6. Update your remote to test this with your activities.

If there is a "remote address" you should be able to select or view this on the receiver itself without contacting Oppo. We almost certainly already have the codes in our database and you should not need to provide these. The easiest way to is to try following the steps provided above. Again, it should only require 3-6 keypresses.

Apparently I misunderstood the original instructions..... will give this a try later and report back.

Which Harmony do you use? If you have the 890 you can use the ir RF remote extender and there is a way to control two devices separately with the same ir codes. I haven't used the 890 for a long time so I can't remember exactly how to do it but I'm pretty sure it can be done. I image this would also be possible if you have the newer version of the 1000 which also has the option to do RF control via the remote ir station so you can control equipment from behind closed doors/cabinets, etc.
post #5271 of 39363 Old 03-28-2009, 02:49 PM

Here are the only other glitches I've encountered:

Press open on the remote or the button on the unit itself and often it makes a sound like the tray is going to open,the display says "Open" but the tray never does and the display goes to "loading" then "No disc". Cycle the eject/open button on either the remote or the unit and the tray opens. Doesn't do it every time but does it quite often.

During SACD playback, I stopped a disc, opened the tray and put in another disc. It loaded and then I hit play. The disc started playing 2:43 into the track. This happened 3 times today - not always 2:43 but 1:02 or 00:45, etc.

DVD-A did about the same as yesterday (no segue into companion tracks; abrupt halts between tracks), no new surprises.

While listening to SACD's this morning I swapped discs back and forth between my 980 and the 83. The 980 seems to be a tad more bassy but the 83 possesses more detail. I'm hearing slightly more out of the same recording when they are played back on the BDP-83. Things like a drumstick dragging on a cymbal ever so faint, fading vocals in the background, more resonance to certain guitar licks. The sound seems more spread out although the music has never been localized; maybe it's just hearing more of it. I'm impressed with the sonics of this player.

It plays regular CD's well enough but doesn't equal my Cambridge Audio 840C. Given the CA 840C is nearly 3x the cost though, it holds it's own. The 83 did a very good job on two CD's I have that are 24 bit DTS encoded multi channel recordings. These are 6.1 /5.1 @ 44.1 Khz. Best they have ever sounded in my system.

I have yet to vote. Probably do that Monday since I haven't had the unit for but a little over 24 hrs. I did program my Harmony 880 for it and it worked no problem. The 880 is passing all the codes I use and need.

Wally
--------------------
post #5272 of 39363 Old 03-28-2009, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertazimmerman View Post

Hi folks,

I'm back after an extended March break down south (not that anyone really cares!). Nice to read up on all that's going on with the BDP-83!

The HDFury2 is an excellent solution for those with monitors with component-only inputs. I also have an older Toshiba and have used an HDFury (not "2") with my Oppo 980. From what I have seen, it does wonders with Blu-Ray players. You can find comparative shots online taken using the device alongside the same images fed via HDMI. These eyes found virtually no difference in quality between the two.

R

Of course we care Roberta. Nice to see you back.
We were beginning to wonder where you were.
Did you have a lot of catch-up reading to do?

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the HDfury2. I appreciate your informed feedback.
post #5273 of 39363 Old 03-28-2009, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_n_Me View Post

During SACD playback, I stopped a disc, opened the tray and put in another disc. It loaded and then I hit play. The disc started playing 2:43 into the track. This happened 3 times today - not always 2:43 but 1:02 or 00:45, etc.

SACDs are resumable. It is possible that an SACD you have previously played shares the same identification code as a new SACD, so the player is resuming playback.

When you insert a SACD into the player that resumes, do you see the "Resume from breakpoint" message in the upper left hand corner of your television prior to actual audio playback?
post #5274 of 39363 Old 03-28-2009, 03:02 PM

Nope. No resume message. I figured it was something like this but I've never encountered this "resuming" problem before on any of my other players which are all Oppo. Hard to believe 3 discs in a row have the same code. Could be though.

This is not a show stopper by any means. The tray not open and sometimes open is more bothersome but I could live with that too.

Wally
--------------------
post #5275 of 39363 Old 03-28-2009, 03:07 PM

I should also mention that I was well into a track before I stopped it - more like over 5 minutes not 2:43. So even if it did resume, it must have picked it up from some other disc - before the one I stopped perhaps? I don't know how long it retains an ID code in memory.

Wally
--------------------
post #5276 of 39363 Old 03-28-2009, 03:16 PM

Folks,
Got my BDP-83, has some issues, so hence some questions, need help.

I have sony KDS-50XBR1, which is suppose to be 1080P rear projection, but when I select 1080P in video source I get blank screen, for 1080i, I get a vertical line in the middle of the screen.
Does that mean that my TV wont support 1080P or 1080i?

SACD playback of Dark side of the moon was great.My AVR decodes it as receiving DSD so I am satisfied there

I played ice age-meltdown Blu Ray, it was good. But the calibration blu ray disk's initial sound really blew me away (but never got that kind of sound again during the movie playback)

I definitely was not awed. May be I am missing some setup parameters here. I have set my Denon 3808 to bypass video.

Also sometimes while playing the PF SACD, whenever I hit Play after Fwd, it still stayed in FWD. I will do a firmware upg next. I want to be blown away by the performance, and as I said I must be missing some parameters.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Matt
post #5277 of 39363 Old 03-28-2009, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I just got my player and tested some 1080i50 discs. The information screen shows the disc as PAL without any resolution or frequency information.

With the player set to NTSC

The player will convert all 1080i50 signal to 1080p60 output. You cannot output 1080p24 even if you set 1080p24 to "On"

With the player set to PAL

The player will output 1080p24 or 1080p50 depending on content. 1080i50 content gets output as 1080p50. There is no 1080p25 output.

With the player set to Multi-System

The player behaves exactly as in PAL setting above.

The playing time seemed exactly the same, so it does not seem to correct for 4% speed up when put into NTSC mode.

Addicted to shiny round discs with HD content

My Home Theater
My Movie Collection
BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #5278 of 39363 Old 03-28-2009, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_n_Me View Post

Nope. No resume message. I figured it was something like this but I've never encountered this "resuming" problem before on any of my other players which are all Oppo.

None of the other OPPO players would resume SACD. This is the first time we have seen SACD resumable on an OPPO product.

Try double pressing Stop before ejecting an SACD (this will clear the breakpoint) and insert a new SACD. Do this for several discs and note if any discs resume.
post #5279 of 39363 Old 03-28-2009, 03:30 PM

I got my player in on Wednesday, tried a dvd (my wife said Fifth Element) and it gave a stunning picture on my JVC 61fn97. My wife said it was worth it just for the improvement. I tried a couple of blu rays, and just like everyone else, fantastic. My wife said it was worth it just to play those. Then, I tried playing music cd's. I used the player as a transport going into my Emotiva DMC-1. This was a huge upgrade from my previous transports (Pioneer DV-414 and Marantz CD 63se). My wife said it was more than worth it for that. WOW!! And we haven't even played any SACD's yet. I have already voted YES. No glitches found as of yet.......... Dan
post #5280 of 39363 Old 03-28-2009, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOPain View Post

I have sony KDS-50XBR1, which is suppose to be 1080P rear projection, but when I select 1080P in video source I get blank screen, for 1080i, I get a vertical line in the middle of the screen.

XBR1 are 1080p panels that will accept 1080i maximum (they de-interlace to 1080p). There is no support for 1080p.

Quote:

Also sometimes while playing the PF SACD, whenever I hit Play after Fwd, it still stayed in FWD.

Make sure you are giving the Play button a rather stern press on the remote control, as this button can be rather soft and not produce an IR signal.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Oppo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page